• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA knows how to revive arcades in the US...Madden Football!

DMczaf

http://appsrv-2.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3133910

Following Need For Speed and PGA Tour, we have learned Madden Football will be the next Electronic Arts console title converted into an arcade game by manufacturer Global VR. Like the other EA properties, the game will be altered to perform better in a public environment -- the length of a typical game is one obvious issue that the company is addressing.

As you can see in the cabinet images, the game will support up to four players on one machine, and given Global VR's recent track record, we wouldn't be surprised to see online tournaments incorporated in some way.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
global VR sucks.

no one plays need for speed.
and who cares about pga when there is already golden tee.

sprsk

DarienA said:
You've toured every arcade in the US that has the NFS arcade game? Do tell....

Well of course i havent toured everyone of them. but no one wants to play need for speed (especially at my arcade) when there are racers that dont suck around like initial d (note im not just speaking out of my ass, the coinage for both games every week is drastically different)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You can play Madden and Need for Speed arcades at California Extreme right now, at least that's what a friend told me

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
sp0rsk said:
Well of course i havent toured everyone of them. but no one wants to play need for speed (especially at my arcade) when there are racers that dont suck around like initial d (note im not just speaking out of my ass, the coinage for both games every week is drastically different)

Ah so your arcade = the entire US... now that's what I call a statistically sound data pool.

Tellaerin

drohne said:
madden? i'd rather that arcades stayed dead.

^^ Elitist. (It would've been said sooner or later anyway, so I figured I might as well get it out of the way now. :p )

Personally, I'm behind anything that could bring about an arcade revival in the States, though I have to admit that I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of it ever happening. =/

FightyF

Banned
I like the idea...hopefully it's executed properly.

I'd love to see a Gran Turismo 4 arcade, with slightly improved graphics (ie. progressive scan) and with 900 degree FF wheels, a working clutch and gearbox and a memory card slot to bring your own tweaked cars from home. To play online with that...homina homina homina

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I like the idea. It might actually get people into playing arcade games again. Whether you like Golden Tee or not, you can't deny that it has people popping quarters into arcade games. If Madden can have the same success, that is great. For anyone who rathers arcades and arcade games continue to die rather than have Madden help in it's revival, is an elitist and very short-sighted.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So this is just the console version ported over?X2

Who will give a fuck? Seriously, aside from the occasional barhopper who doesn't own any console but still for some reason is willing to plunk down a buck for a few minutes of Madden, who? It's not like you can get better competition at the arcade, b/c the best competition will be online, and it's not like Golden Tee which at least has a trackball to make the arcade experience unique, here the arcade control scheme is actually a step down from the console.

I see no advantages to any of this.

dskillzhtown

AstroLad said:
So this is just the console version ported over?X2

Who will give a fuck? Seriously, aside from the occasional barhopper who doesn't own any console but still for some reason is willing to plunk down a buck for a few minutes of Madden, who? It's not like you can get better competition at the arcade, b/c the best competition will be online, and it's not like Golden Tee which at least has a trackball to make the arcade experience unique, here the arcade control scheme is actually a step down from the console.

I see no advantages to any of this.

The advantage is that it is in the bar. This is not intended to compete with the console version. Just like the Tiger Woods arcade game is not intended to compete with console versions. Ultimately it will be a different experience. Your post implies that people who own the console version would have no interest in this. If the game is done right, I can see people playing the hell out of this at sports bars. Again, if done right.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dskillzhtown said:
The advantage is that it is in the bar. This is not intended to compete with the console version. Just like the Tiger Woods arcade game is not intended to compete with console versions. Ultimately it will be a different experience. Your post implies that people who own the console version would have no interest in this. If the game is done right, I can see people playing the hell out of this at sports bars. Again, if done right.

Right, if it's a different game beyond just fucking with the clock, sure. Hell maybe I'd even play it if it was good, but when they say, "next Electronic Arts console title converted into an arcade game," I'm kind of doubtful as to how different it'll be from the console version.

Hournda

Why would you want to revive arcades? They died out because the games sucked and paying 50 cents for 1 minute of a shitty and usually difficult (so you would die and have to put in more money) game is stupid. I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

sprsk

arcade gamers wont give a shit about madden. it might do well in bars and stuff. but i doubt people will wanna pay 2 dollars for a game of madden.

dskillzhtown

sp0rsk said:
arcade gamers wont give a shit about madden. it might do well in bars and stuff. but i doubt people will wanna pay 2 dollars for a game of madden.

Bars and sports bars was the target for the Tiger Woods game, I can't see why this would be any different.

I doubt EA is willing to bank a lot of capital into this venture, they're just giving it a shot. A couple bars that I go to have the Tiger Woods game, and it does pretty well out here in San Francisco.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
It is not a bad idea, but how would they charge. Since a game of Madden can take a while .50 or $1 is not going to cover it but if it gets too price then people will just go home and play.

Dave Long

Banned
Ramirez said:
Hmm,trying to play Madden with only 4 buttons...does not compute...:p

We played it with three on the Genesis man... AND WE BUILT THE FREAKING PROPERTY SO EA COULD MAKE MILLIONS ON IT TODAY!

Top Bottom