• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shows off next gen golf game, ends partnership with Tiger Woods

Takao

Banned
PGATour-SidebySide.jpg

http://www.ea.com/news/first-next-gen-golf-details-revealed

EA SPORTS golf fans have always loved authentic courses and players, but they've also asked for more choice and customization in how and where they play. We're working on a new approach to deliver the best golf experience to our fans — we think you'll love it, and so we’re excited to share the first screenshot of our next generation golf game currently in development.

EA SPORTS and Tiger Woods have also made a mutual decision to end our partnership, which includes Tiger's named PGA TOUR golf game. We’ve always been big fans of Tiger and we wish him continued success in all his future endeavors.

Moving forward, we will continue to work with the PGA TOUR exclusively to create groundbreaking golfing titles and our partnership remains strong.

EA SPORTS is committed to creating a new golf experience that leverages the best technologies across EA to deliver a stunning and immersive game for mobile and next generation consoles.

We'll have more news soon.

Into

Why does current gen look more realistic and easier on the eye?

It actually looks like a golf course, the "next gen" one looks phoney and cartoony

Loooks...like current gen.

What's up with EA's Ignite engine? NBA 2k14 is more what I was expecting with the next-gen sports games. EA's been pretty disappointing.

bryehn

I'm sure he'll still be in the game. At first I thought "franchise over", but Tiger is not as far away from the rest of the pack as he once was and there are a shitton of up-and-comers playing great golf.

Assuming they don't mess with the core mechanics too much this could work out well for EA.

eso76

lol
i like how they made next gen version more pleasant by adding a golden sun, and having larger trees with more leaves on them and other stuff completely irrelevant from a technical pov.

Also, current gen screen actually looks last gen (ps2, xbox)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Tiger+Woods.jpg

Golf is nothing without Tiger.

Petrae

We saw this coming, I think, but it opens up a few questions moving forward.

Woods, as a brand, is no longer in a position to have to offer his name or likeness to PGA Tour Golf games from EA moving forward. If Woods' career spikes up again in the next few years, where we wins majors and tournaments at a torrid pace, not having him in a PGA Tour Golf game is going to disappoint those who want realism. Eldrick Sawgrass won't be a suitable replacement.

Also, might this open up Woods to work with and/or represent non-licensed golf games like Hot Shots or Links? Sure, the PGA license may be missing, but with the right courses and the familiar Woods on the cover, it could attract attention on Tiger branding alone.

It'll be interesting to see how this story progresses.

Allforce

Come on, that looks amazing. Golf is one genre that can really stand to raise the stakes, hell just this generation we finally got fucking galleries in these games, and it looked like that 2nd shot. 150 people all standing with the same posture like robots.

Ever been to a PGA event? People sit down and mill about.

RE_Player

Never believe anything EA Sports related until the product ships. They've done CG reveals of their games for this and next generation, with this generation looking nowhere like the CG reel.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
wait, this isn't ps2 ---> ps3? but ps3 --->ps4?

bluehat9

Yep, that still looks like the PS2 engine at work.

And yet load times were still unbelievably long on PS3.

Will wait for Hot Shots.

Top Bottom