• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports and Tiger Woods partnership is over [Up: First next-gen screenshot]

jbug617

Banned
Via Sean:

Official link & next-gen screenshot: http://www.ea.com/news/first-next-gen-golf-details-revealed

EA SPORTS golf fans have always loved authentic courses and players, but they've also asked for more choice and customization in how and where they play. We're working on a new approach to deliver the best golf experience to our fans — we think you'll love it, and so we’re excited to share the first screenshot of our next generation golf game currently in development.

EA SPORTS and Tiger Woods have also made a mutual decision to end our partnership, which includes Tiger's named PGA TOUR golf game. We’ve always been big fans of Tiger and we wish him continued success in all his future endeavors.

Moving forward, we will continue to work with the PGA TOUR exclusively to create groundbreaking golfing titles and our partnership remains strong.

EA SPORTS is committed to creating a new golf experience that leverages the best technologies across EA to deliver a stunning and immersive game for mobile and next generation consoles.

We'll have more news soon.

PGATour-SidebySide.jpg

---

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/28/5...nd-partnership-golf-game-to-continue-next-gen

Electronic Arts and Tiger Woods have come to a mutual decision to end their partnership for the long-running Tiger Woods PGA Tour series of golf games, the publisher announced today.

Developing ...

Crazy time for EA Sports.

Foshy

As the Wii craze is over, there's probably nobody buying these games anymore. It's probably not about EA not wanting Tiger as their face, but that they won't be producing any golf games at all for the forseeable future.

That said, I want Everybody's Golf PS4

Sean

Banned
Official link & next-gen screenshot: http://www.ea.com/news/first-next-gen-golf-details-revealed

EA SPORTS golf fans have always loved authentic courses and players, but they've also asked for more choice and customization in how and where they play. We're working on a new approach to deliver the best golf experience to our fans — we think you'll love it, and so we’re excited to share the first screenshot of our next generation golf game currently in development.

EA SPORTS and Tiger Woods have also made a mutual decision to end our partnership, which includes Tiger's named PGA TOUR golf game. We’ve always been big fans of Tiger and we wish him continued success in all his future endeavors.

Moving forward, we will continue to work with the PGA TOUR exclusively to create groundbreaking golfing titles and our partnership remains strong.

EA SPORTS is committed to creating a new golf experience that leverages the best technologies across EA to deliver a stunning and immersive game for mobile and next generation consoles.

We'll have more news soon.

When there's no competing golf game out there, what's the benefit of paying to have him on the box.

This. No one else makes a realistic golfing game for consoles. At this point, they don't need to be paying a celebrity endorsement for every edition.

Heck, with the lack of "roster change" they have to deal with, they don't even need to be doing one every year, period. I'm slightly glad they're taking this year off.

Afrikan

its like they are making cuts, to make a big push to re-up the NFL License... OH GOD I HOPE THAT IS NOT THE CASE!!! :mad:

spliced

Now they can get to work on Miguel Angel Jimenez PGA Tour(free cigar with every pre order).

The next gen stretching will be mindblowing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
When there's no competing golf game out there, what's the benefit of paying to have him on the box.

Exactly. No point honestly in having anyone be your "main" spokes person. Just do a one time deal each year to get someone who's decent at the time to be on the box for that year.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Does Anyone Know the Name of Another Golfer 2014

Game Guru

its like they are making cuts, to make a big push to re-up the NFL License... OH GOD I HOPE THAT IS NOT THE CASE!!! :mad:

Yeah, isn't it just Madden NFL, FIFA, and NHL now? It would be ironic if the NFL charged so much for their license that even EA would think that it was too expensive and no one gets NFL games this generation because of it.

Forget EA for a second. The NFL does not want to have a non-exclusive license. At all. This whole thing is because the NFL wanted to be non-exclusive, not because EA was worried about the competition that 2K was providing.

And that's not even getting into the amount of pressure that the NFL gets to put on EA by making the license exclusive (i.e. you can re-make NFL Blitz, but no late hits anymore).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
As a guy who got started in the industry making grass textures for Tiger Woods games, this is huge. Lots of gratitude to the franchise and the people involved.

Afrikan

If someone else picks up the Tiger Woods name for a Golf game.. I hope they use the developers who made this game. It was very realistic, and Move controls worked well. Graphics were bad, but Gameplay really made up for it.

IISANDERII

Tiger's going to sign exclusively with Sony. Then later in the week he'll sign exclusively with Microsoft. He'll go back to Sony, but then he'll go Nintendo, SNK, Coleco, Atari, NEC, Magnavox and Fairchild. He'll do em all but eventually he'll end up at Panasonic or Goldstar.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I clicked and enlarged on this picture before I read it.
My reactions were
That's pretty good for current gen!
Why did they use a PS2 image?
Oh....

Sony should make the next golf game. They already do baseball. But, where did their basketball games go? Can't find any trace of them.

They should make a Tiger Woods game where you have to juggle multiple blondes at once at each stop across the world. The golfing would be tangential to the virtual dating aspect.

Petrae

What was the first one?

NCAA Football is also dead.

(And, if you want to make it three, EA also killed its NCAA Basketball/March Madness series in 2009.)

EDIT: EA also gave up the NASCAR license in 2008. That's four franchises gone.

Ridley327

This definitely has been coming over the past couple of years, considering that they've really been pushing the Masters licensing over anything else. I'm sure it's going to save EA a whole lot of money, that they'll spend to make the game even better.

No, I don't believe that last line at all.

Petrae

One possibility is brand recognition. Remember that Tiger Woods' name has been gracing EA golf games since 1998. That covers three console generations. Removing that name completely could arguably make consumers confused or lead to some head-scratching.

That said, Woods' prominence in EA golf games has been declining in recent years, so there's that.

Top Bottom