• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports MMA |OT| UFC controls included

Captain N

| Roster |

Lightweight Class
mmalight.jpg

Welterweight Class
Weltermma.jpg

Middleweight Class
middlemma.jpg

Light Heavyweight Class
lightheavymma.jpg

Heavyweight Class
MMAheavy.jpg

| Controls |

classicMMA.jpg

totalstrikeMMA.jpg

| Release Dates |

10/19/10 US
10/21/10 AU
10/22/10 EU
11/11/10 JP

| Reviews |

Pending

The demo really turned me off. I will still give it ago though since UFC 2010 was pretty disappointing. It just seems like asking for a UFC MMA game with good controls is too hard!

Also might want to add the pre-order bonuses:

Best Buy: “Big” John McCarthy
Gamestop: Herschel Walker
Walmart: "classic" version of Frank Shamrock

Square Triangle said:
The demo really turned me off. I will still give it ago though since UFC 2010 was pretty disappointing. It just seems like asking for a UFC game with good controls is too hard!

Well this isn't a UFC game...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(No interest in the game, as I'm not a huge MMA/UFC man but a minor nitpick)

How are you supposed to read the ABCDEFG... in those profile/class shots? I guess you're meant to know who they are, but for some of us (*cough*) it's not explaining anything.

dream

TheSeks said:
(No interest in the game, as I'm not a huge MMA/UFC man but a minor nitpick)

How are you supposed to read the ABCDEFG... in those profile/class shots? I guess you're meant to know who they are, but for some of us (*cough*) it's not explaining anything.

Front row, left to right, middle row, etc.

TheSeks said:

3 lines. Read left to right in Ascending order.

e.g.: Front left is A, next one on the right is B, etc etc. Once front row is done, alphabet continues in the back row.

Jubbly

Gravijah said:
I'm freaked out by the fact that there's tons of people with the same exact pose in those roster pics.

Their shorts are all reskinned too. All identical, right down to the super tight crotch creating stretch marks in all directions :lol

Captain N

Bishman said:
The demo turned me off. This game will flop.

It'll be interesting to see how well MMA does in the Holiday season. I will pick it up, but that doesn't really mean anything. It almost feels like this would make for a good September release for EA Sports in the future.

Truespeed

Lightweight Class:
Jabroni's

Walterweight Class:
Jabroni's

Middleweight Class:
Jabroni's

Light Heavyweight Class:
Randy Couture and Jabroni's

Heavyweight Class:
Fedor, Randy Couture and Jabroni's

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Truespeed said:
Lightweight Class:
Jabroni's

Walterweight Class:
Jabroni's

Middleweight Class:
Jabroni's

Light Heavyweight Class:

Heavyweight Class:

Spoken like someone who doesn't have the first fucking clue about MMA.

Also, jabroni is what?

Truespeed said:
Lightweight Class:
Jabroni's

Walterweight Class:
Jabroni's

Middleweight Class:
Jabroni's

Light Heavyweight Class:

Heavyweight Class:
LW: Melendez, Kawajiri, JZ, Shaolin, Alvarez, Aoki, Hansen - NOT JABRONIS

WW: yeah other than Diaz, Shields, Zaromskis and Woodley, jabronis

MW: Mousasi, Mayhem, Jacare, Kennedy, Shields, Misaki - NOT JABRONIS

LHW: Couture, Babalu, Mousasi, King Mo, Roger Gracie, Hendo - NOT JABRONIS

HW: Couture, Fedor, Overeem, Werdum, Arlovski, Barnett, Sylvia - NOT JABRONIS

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Truespeed said:
Lightweight Class:
Jabroni's

Walterweight Class:
Jabroni's

Middleweight Class:
Jabroni's

Light Heavyweight Class:

Heavyweight Class:

Herp Derp

Truespeed said:
Lightweight Class:
Jabroni's

Walterweight Class:
Jabroni's

Middleweight Class:
Jabroni's

Light Heavyweight Class:

Heavyweight Class:
So Fedor's not a Jabroni, but he got beat by one?

-viper-

Banned
I tried the demo for 5 minutes and it honestly felt terrible. I'm not going to spend 100 hours to get used to a game. The controls were worse than UFC. The controls, combined with the animations, make the game so janky. Lacks any sense of fluidity.

DiscoJer

So half the people in the Welterweight division are vampires? So pale, it's like a Twilight poster. Even the asian guy looks like he's one, except for his legs.

Truespeed

SnakeXs said:
Spoken like someone who doesn't have the first fucking clue about MMA.

Also, jabroni is what?

I see you take your MMA very seriously - good for you. As for what a jabroni is - it's a person that get's into an octagon, ring, square or triangle and gives it 110%.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am going to wait for the eventual justin.tv streams of this tomorrow night. I played the demo and started to get a bit better with it, I just want to see what improvements were made since the demo.

Captain N

dskillzhtown said:
I am going to wait for the eventual justin.tv streams of this tomorrow night. I played the demo and started to get a bit better with it, I just want to see what improvements were made since the demo.

they are planning a ustream of the launch party event tonight.

I know I'll get bored of any MMA game in which everyone throws hooks and passes guard with the exact same animations. It's like if NBA games still had one jumpshot animation for every player.

does it seem to anyone else like EA is giving this game the "sent out to die" treatment? I haven't seen very much advertising or fanfare. I wonder if the disappointing sales of UFC2011 made them realize the mma game market is pretty small.

dskillzhtown

Ninja Scooter said:
I stand mistaken then. I guess it just feels like there is no buzz.

I would think they would have used the NBA Elite ad buys for this. Maybe they transferred them to FIFA or Medal of Honor?

edit - This ustream thing is kinda lame. 3 guys on a couch playing the game and 2 guys have never played it.

edit2 - Okay it just got better when a fighter button mashed his way to a win vs the creative director for the game.

dskillzhtown said:
I would think they would have used the NBA Elite ad buys for this. Maybe they transferred them to FIFA or Medal of Honor?

edit - This ustream thing is kinda lame. 3 guys on a couch playing the game and 2 guys have never played it.

edit2 - Okay it just got better when a fighter button mashed his way to a win vs the creative director for the game.

link?

Zeliard

Hilarious how the demo killed all hype and anticipation for this game, when they're usually intended to do the opposite.

Shame, too, because the roster is great and I like the visuals in general. Gameplay is so amazingly basic though.

dskillzhtown

RBH said:
:lol

Anyways, this game will probably bomb.

I am sure it will bomb. They really aren't supporting it at all as far as ads.

edit - Two developers are playing it now. When two people who are used to the controls play, it looks incredible. But the fact that the AI competitors play as takedown machines is a shame.

They haven't showed single player at all.

Square Triangle said:
The demo really turned me off. I will still give it ago though since UFC 2010 was pretty disappointing. It just seems like asking for a UFC MMA game with good controls is too hard!

Also might want to add the pre-order bonuses:

Best Buy: “Big” John McCarthy
Gamestop: Herschel Walker
Walmart: "classic" version of Frank Shamrock

Best pre-order bonus by far is Big John McCarthy. I didnt like the demo either. Controls were weird and the characters moved strange to me. Like they were on ice or something. It seemed really weird to watch.

Baby Milo

dskillzhtown said:
But the fact that the AI competitors play as takedown machines is a shame.
is this still the case in the retail

I heard that was one of the things that would be improved on.

dskillzhtown

Baby Milo said:
is this still the case in the retail

I heard that was one of the things that would be improved on.

They mentioned on the ustream that the takedown stuff had been toned down.

Towards the end of the show they showed some of the career mode and the AI didn't try to take the player down at all. Again, it was early in career mode, so he was fighting against a scrub, so not sure how it is when you get to some better opponents.

From all I saw last night it seems the game is much better than the demo was, but that demo did some damage that I am not sure can be fixed.

RS4-

I didn't bother with the demo...but the full game is pretty damn slick, typical EA presentation values and such.

It's easier to pick up than UFC and feels more fun. The ground game is simpler that doesn't involve you spazzing out on the analog sticks; strikes feel and look better as well.

I'm only a few matches into career, so I'll post later and see how it goes.

It doesn't suffer from EA robo punching that plagued their fight night games and to some extent UFC and their flash KO's and bullshit thai clinches :lol

Zeliard said:
Hilarious how the demo killed all hype and anticipation for this game, when they're usually intended to do the opposite.

Shame, too, because the roster is great and I like the visuals in general. Gameplay is so amazingly basic though.
Similar to how Strikeforce has shitty matchmaking IRL, they put the wrong fighters in the demo. Diaz vs. Noons would have made sense because, y'know, the fight happened a week after the demo dropped.

Top Bottom