• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts: EA Sports FC 25, Space Marine 2, Astro Bot and PS5 impress in bumper September

Hardware
1.PS5 ~68k (-33% YoY)
2.X|S ~33k (-39% YoY)
3 NSW ~25k

Investors need to wake up.

PS5 is on track to sell 14 million in FY24

GSdnmDR.jpeg

USnElhb.jpeg

wFrrHhz.jpeg

bz7tm0a.jpeg

grOOfIp.jpeg
He is 100% right. Managers in charge always prefer to focus on short term profits. Because their bonuses will be based on those, not long term as they won't be working for Playstation in 5 years.

Following the same trajectory, in 15 years Playstation will become irrelevant, at the level of Sega / Microsoft now. There will be 2 main platforms (the way there are 3 now): Steam, Nintendo and all the others will fight for the crumbs.

Last edited:

jm89

Investors need to wake up.

PS5 is on track to sell 14 million in FY24
Investors or Sony?

Cause it would be Sony forecasting 18 million FY24 and doing nothing to achieve that.

Temp price cuts here and there isn't gonna get them to that forecast.

Maybe they are hoping ps5 pro does numbers? If so that is an odd gamble as pro is on the very expensive side especially with the state of the economy.

RPCGamer

The Uk is still the 2nd biggest market for Xbox though. Even if it's far behind the other 2. It's not popular...but it's also not selling one unit each time PS5 sells 20.
Many people I know have a familiar pattern. Loved the 360, moved to PS4 when the Xbox One was barren, then switched to PC as they didn't like what Sony had to offer. Their younger family members etc have all gone straight to PC...I'm guessing from following them.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Investors or Sony?

Cause it would be Sony forecasting 18 million FY24 and doing nothing to achieve that.

Maybe they are hoping ps5 pro does numbers? If so that is an odd gamble as pro is on the very expensive side especially with the state of the economy.

So what are you going to say when they hit their forecast?

It'll be interesting to see their latest numbers which should also include any significant sales in China due to Wukong.

Discounting the PS5 Pro is going to be an interesting gamble on your end.

jm89

He is 100% right. Managers in charge always prefer to focus on short term profits. Because their bonuses will be based on those, not long term as they won't be working for Playstation in 5 years.

Following the same trajectory, in 15 years Playstation will become irrelevant, at the level of Sega / Microsoft now. There will be 2 main platforms (the way there are 3 now): Steam, Nintendo and all the others will fight for the crumbs.
Sony does seem to be focusing on short term gains at the expense of market share. The ps5 market share is gonna hurt some ps5 games sales potential aswell. If I was an investor and they missed their forecast again, I'd be asking wtf are you doing? Cause short term profit from hardware isn't where Sony is making its money.

Last edited:

jm89

So what are you going to say when they hit their forecast?

It'll be interesting to see their latest numbers which should also include any significant sales in China due to Wukong.

Discounting the PS5 Pro is going to be an interesting gamble on your end.
I never discounted it. Just saying it's a risky gamble.

Last edited:

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
1EA Sports FC 25 (EA)

Yearly sport again at 1. An awful, glitchfest one at that.

Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

4Star Wars Outlaws (Ubisoft)
5Astro Bot (Sony)

Outlaws over Astro..

Awkward Episode 1 GIF by The Office

10The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (Nintendo)*

Disappointed World Cup GIF by Goldmaster

UK never dissapoint at disappointing.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Well sure if they hit it they got it right 🤷

But so far it's not looking good.

I just don't think you can say that with confidence. At least I wouldn't.

But even more so, if you think it isn't looking good yet they hit it, that should suggest that you were entirely off base.

I think that's my biggest gripe with commentators who make claims like we're seeing here.

Oh the PS5 is on track for 14 million, Sony has no idea what they're doing, they're morons. It hits 18 million... crickets.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
I’m guessing Sony are waiting to see how GTA6 shifts units before dropping the price.

GTA6 will likely end up being the best selling game on the console.
Wouldn't it make more sense for the average consumer who wants to buy a console just to play GTA 6 to buy the Series S since it's the cheapest console?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Wouldn't it make more sense for the average consumer who wants to buy a console just to play GTA 6 to buy the Series S since it's the cheapest console?

Think about what you're saying here.

There's a non zero chance that the Xbox version gets delayed because of the Series S. There's almost no chance this game plays well on Series S if it is pushing the PS5 and XSX beyond what we're seeing from games like Wukong or Silent Hill 2.

Pretty sure that's not how people want to play GTA6.

Woopah

There is no exclusive game slated for Xbox Series in 2025 that suggests being a needle mover.

GTA6 is the needle mover for consoles next year, especially if it launches with an online mode as you'll see people migrate from GTA5 Online.

You also have several sports games that might not release on previous generation next year.

The only move Microsoft has is to drop the price of the Xbox and hope that there isn't a Series S problem with GTA6 and hope people choose that as an option over PS5/PS5 Pro.

I don't think Sony will drop the price unless GTA6 starts shifting a higher percentage of Xbox units.

The Switch 2 depending on price is not going to have a huge first year.
It's very unlikely, but it is theoretically possible that Xbox has a hit, either a surprise breakout or a currently updated game.

I agree that sports and GTA will make more of a difference.

Switch 2 won't have massive first year, but I do expect it to contribute significantly to overall hardware growth.

What is it about these numbers that make you think PS will be irrelevant? PS5 is still likely to sell over 90 million units.

No, because while GTA6 might be the game that finally pushes people to go next-gen, they’ll also want to make sure there’s other great games to play. Those great games aren’t on Xbox.

They’re also more than twice as likely coming from PS4 than they are Xbox One.

Let it go

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It's very unlikely, but it is theoretically possible that Xbox has a hit, either a surprise breakout or a currently updated game.

I agree that sports and GTA will make more of a difference.

Switch 2 won't have massive first year, but I do expect it to contribute significantly to overall hardware growth.

Anything is possible in theory, but in practicality, no it is as unlikely as anything could be in this industry.

You would generally see a swell of hype around a game like that becoming an actual system seller for Xbox, something more and more difficult to accomplish as a smaller platform where people aren't apt to buy games rather just play them on gamepass.

Helldivers was a smash hit for Sony, but it wasn't really a system seller for PS5.

Space marine 2 has been a huge hit, but its not a system seller.

Same with Wukong. There is nothing as hyped as Wukong coming out for Xbox next year.

m14

No, because while GTA6 might be the game that finally pushes people to go next-gen, they’ll also want to make sure there’s other great games to play. Those great games aren’t on Xbox.

They’re also more than twice as likely coming from PS4 than they are Xbox One.

Let it go
Many of those people will just want COD, GTA and their sports game of choice. They won't go PS5 for the "great games" but because they will know more people who own one.

Woopah

Anything is possible in theory, but in practicality, no it is as unlikely as anything could be in this industry.

You would generally see a swell of hype around a game like that becoming an actual system seller for Xbox, something more and more difficult to accomplish as a smaller platform where people aren't apt to buy games rather just play them on gamepass.

Helldivers was a smash hit for Sony, but it wasn't really a system seller for PS5.

Space marine 2 has been a huge hit, but its not a system seller.

Same with Wukong. There is nothing as hyped as Wukong coming out for Xbox next year.
That's true, but with how low Xbox Series has been (especially in continental Europe) I don't think a game has to have that big of an effect to be noticeable.

Even if a game only sells 10,000 Xbox Series, that could actually result in sales being flat or slightly up.

Not saying it will happen, but it's not too our of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
That's true, but with how low Xbox Series has been (especially in continental Europe) I don't think a game has to have that big of an effect to be noticeable.

Even if a game only sells 10,000 Xbox Series, that could actually result in sales being flat or slightly up.

Not saying it will happen, but it's not too our of the realm of possibility.

We're not talking about something being noticeable. CF25 had a noticeable impact for the XBS.

What we're talking about is a generational needle mover for Xbox.

ap_puff

Investors or Sony?

Investors need to wake up and get the Sony board to do something about Hiroki Totoki's shortsighted strategy.

XXL

Making a first-time appearance is the PS5 Disc Drive, which is at No21 by units, but No 8 by revenue. This will be driven by the success of the PS5 All-Digital console last month, plus increased stock levels for the standalone Disc Drive.
Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
We don't know if he's shortsighted or not yet.

It could work for the next 20 years and people will still say it was the wrong strategy...

Another interesting thing is no one is talking about this being the PS5 digital's 2nd biggest month ever... that's insane. He mentions that the disc drive is selling because of the digital, but that makes no sense. That's poor analysis. They would just buy the disc SKU. The drive is selling because of the PS5 Pro... how could he not know that?

Top Bottom