• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

Kyoufu

welp, this is not looking like the game I wanted.

hope Vita TV makes it to the USA so I can play 2017 on the big screen (yes aware of the 360 version, don't feel like buying a 360.)

Why would you go back to 2017? I prefer this game by a mile.

culafia

Why would you go back to 2017? I prefer this game by a mile.

It's great if you think so, but I think all of the complaints of the last few pages carry quite a bit of merit as to why someone might disagree.The lack of more than 2ish boss fights and much longer/much more repetitive missions might be a minor thing to you, but it can be reasonably game-crushing to someone else.

Kyoufu

It's great if you think so, but I think all of the complaints of the last few pages carry quite a bit of merit as to why someone might disagree.The lack of more than 2ish boss fights and much longer/much more repetitive missions might be a minor thing to you, but it can be reasonably game-crushing to someone else.

I understand the boss complaint, it was a bummer to me too, but what do you mean by longer missions? They're no longer than past entries provided you know what you're actually doing, like destroying ships etc.

culafia

I understand the boss complaint, it was a bummer to me too, but what do you mean by longer missions? They're no longer than past entries provided you know what you're actually doing, like destroying ships etc.

EDF 2017 has considerably shorter missions for the most part. There are many missions that have just one simple objective that takes 4-7 minutes at absolute most. Almost every single mission in 2025 has 3+ waves of enemies.

Kyoufu

EDF 2017 has considerably shorter missions for the most part. There are many missions that have just one simple objective that takes 4-7 minutes at absolute most. Almost every single mission in 2025 has 3+ waves of enemies.

That's not true. Even 3 waves of enemies doesn't take longer than 7 to 8 minutes for most missions. This is standard EDF and is no different than previous games in the series.

This holds true for all difficulty modes.

deim0s

PS3, played split-screen coop til mission 5. Framerate is no biggie... drops to the low 20s - but not a literal slideshow, better than I excpected.

KDR_11k

2025 does seem to have slightly longer missions (I'd say maybe 50%). Though keep in mind that 2017 Vita includes those extra missions that range from mediocre to godawful (that cocoon mission...).

Mission 4 allows for some easy farm, I got an autoshottie and a Force Blade for my fencer from there and just kept using those. The blade is great, especially in tunnel missions. I usually take only one though. The comment "fencers are insane" from the shield bearer mission resonated with me when I took a pile bunker and proceeded to punch the red gunships in the face. CHAAAARGE!

Also I just unlocked the BMX10 Proteus, holy f###ing s###. Even using that thing solo as a big gun bunker makes for a monstrous weapon. If the Fencer is Sandlot sticking an Armored Core into EDF then the Proteus is them adding an Arms Fort.

PS3, played split-screen coop til mission 5. Framerate is no biggie... drops to the low 20s - but not a literal slideshow, better than I excpected.

Not trying to be disbarring, but those first levels dont compare with whats to come(im talking like 30 enemies at a time vs 100+). I cant remember the actual level numbers, but the beach level with red ants(26 maybe?), or the desolate town (high 30's) and even on the 360 i was getting drops into the single digits only playing single player

deim0s

Not trying to be disbarring, but those first levels dont compare with whats to come(im talking like 30 enemies at a time vs 100+). I cant remember the actual level numbers, but the beach level with red ants(26 maybe?), or the desolate town (high 30's) and even on the 360 i was getting drops into the single digits only playing single player

Is that so? I'm looking forward to be disappointed then. ;)

culafia

That's not true. Even 3 waves of enemies doesn't take longer than 7 to 8 minutes for most missions. This is standard EDF and is no different than previous games in the series.

This holds true for all difficulty modes.

Why is it that I'm far from alone in suggesting the levels are substantially longer and more drawn out in 2025? Why is it that even people who prefer 2025 like you in quite a few cases agree with me, even saying that they prefer the substantially longer levels? Why is it that playing this game has taken me twice as long as 2017 despite me sticking to Ranger single-player and the game having only 40% more level content?

Is everyone wrong but you?

Kyoufu

Why is it that I'm far from alone in suggesting the levels are substantially longer and more drawn out in 2025? Why is it that even people who prefer 2025 like you in quite a few cases agree with me, even saying that they prefer the substantially longer levels? Why is it that playing this game has taken my twice as long as 2017 despite me sticking to Ranger single-player and the game having only 40% more level content?

Is everyone wrong but you?

I've had some missions take well over 30 minutes because I didn't understand what I was supposed to do (destroy ships, etc) or when I went in unprepared with the wrong weapon loadout, but when I did them right then they didn't take long at all. Definitely sub 10 minutes.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that demonstrate the length of missions. Of course, it'll vary for players but I can't say I've ever found missions to be longer than usual and watching said videos, very very few take longer than 7 to 8 minutes to complete, so maybe list the mission(s) you feel are too long? This extends to the rest of you guys saying the same thing. Which missions take too long?

I'm not saying you're wrong. You're going by your own experience but my own experience has been similar to EDF2, EDF3 and EDF3P. The only game that I found to drag on was IA, which wasn't even made by Sandlot.

I'm not finding 2025's levels any longer than 2017's. Are you sure you're not just remembering powering through 2017's levels with OP weapons?

Aramiyo

Banned
Well bought it anyway and then my cousin was finished with my PS3 controller so that was lucky.

Space bug shootin' time!

Sykotik

Been playing with a buddy of mine online on Hard difficulty. Fairly challenging, sometimes frustratingly so.

What's more frustrating is I've gotten maybe 1-2 new weapons in 10+ stages, at least 60 crates.

klaus

I did a quick seach and it looks like nobody has posted the German Eurogamer EDF review.

They have certainly redeemed the worthless UK EG review. I don't think I need to translate the contents.

Uhm could you perhaps translate the final verdict? I'm not sure if he really means
EDF, EDF, EDF! EDF, EDF, EDF! EDF, EDF, EDF!
and not rather
EDF, EDF, EDF! EDF, EDF, EDF! EDF, EDF, EDF!

But all in all, a rather well-balanced review.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
45 hours in and I'm nowhere near tired of this game yet. It's just the most goddamn video game video game I've played in a long time. And I mean, I've been a fan of EDF for years and years, all the way back to EDF2, so it's not like I didn't know what to expect. But still. This is one of those rare games that I feel like I could play forever.

KDR_11k

BMX10 Proteus: F#ck you, my planet!

Dropping one of these practically ends the mission, too bad most missions are too short to get one fielded... Operation Brute Force is perfect for it though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm up to mission 30 now and tbh other than cosmetics, both 2017 and 2025 feel pretty much identical in terms of enemies, level design etc. Here are some ants, here are some spiders, here are some hectors on the beach, here is a nest.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are levels that are literally identical between both versions.

But I do like the new touches, like the extra voices (I laughed when they first started singing), the nicer destruction on buildings etc. It doesn't feel much more than EDF 2017.5 but it is still a huge amount of fun.

(note I am playing as a ranger at the moment - I'm sure the other playable characters change the way it plays but I'm not that far in yet)

demon arm

Uhm could you perhaps translate the final verdict?

For your convenience, I've put the verdict through google translate:
EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF !

EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF !

EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF ! EDF , EDF, EDF !

EDF , EDF, EDF !

Edit: EG DE have just put up a second, serious review. The final score is still 9/10, though!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For what it's worth, I've never played 2017, but I've seen a few levels so far in 2025 that are pretty much ripped straight out of EDF2. Virtually the same exact terrain, enemy placement, everything.

Dougald

For what it's worth, I've never played 2017, but I've seen a few levels so far in 2025 that are pretty much ripped straight out of EDF2. Virtually the same exact terrain, enemy placement, everything.

I haven't played my copy yet (waiting for the weekend), but I think it's a testament to EDF that hearing this makes me excited, rather than making me want to complain about the devs being lazy.

2017 just got the "bad but in a good way" so right, I have high hopes for 2025

angelic

Banned
I'm still annoyed about the EG UK review, I wish there was something I could do about it. I'd love to know the EDF team's thoughts and maybe that they'd refuse to send them anything ever again.

KDR_11k

Well, story-wise EDF 2017 is a re-make of EDF 1 and thus EDF2025 a re-make of EDF 2...

KDR_11k

I wonder if it says anything about the attitudes of the involved companies that the Sandlot logo is the only skippable splash screen.

Dazzyman

Wife just bought me this. Not played the series before and we should be having some split screen game age later.

For online just MSG GAF friend request

Am in UK

360 = Dazzyman

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Looking at the Japanese wikis...christ, Sandlot, you expect me to be able to solo with Air Raider all the way into the mid-30s with the shit tier equipment I have now just to be able to get weapons that aren't awful? Especially the underground stages, where you can't call airstrikes and you can't get vehicles...what the hell am I supposed to do there with just a Limpet Gun?

One thing I've noticed while playing Air Raider, though, is that my AI troops seem to live a LOT longer. Probably because I'm not accidentally blowing them up with rocket launchers...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finally, FINALLY figured out a good mission for low-level Air Raider weapon grinding. DLC mission 1 on Easy. It was super fun, too. Had a couple close calls, and it was really cool figuring out when/where to drop helicopters and howitzer strikes.

zPp564K.jpg

Exr

Looking at the Japanese wikis...christ, Sandlot, you expect me to be able to solo with Air Raider all the way into the mid-30s with the shit tier equipment I have now just to be able to get weapons that aren't awful? Especially the underground stages, where you can't call airstrikes and you can't get vehicles...what the hell am I supposed to do there with just a Limpet Gun?

One thing I've noticed while playing Air Raider, though, is that my AI troops seem to live a LOT longer. Probably because I'm not accidentally blowing them up with rocket launchers...

I'm finding the AI troops to be surprisingly useful on harder difficulties. Maybe it's due to them being meatshields to stave off insect hordes but either way it's a big help in later missions.

PSN is ExarKun--, add me for some games everyone

Tain

Mission 27 on hard (after starting on hard) is giving me a lot of trouble. No good homing weapons for Ranger or Wing Diver.

KDR_11k

what the hell am I supposed to do there with just a Limpet Gun?

Lay a trail of explosives and blow up a whole swarm of bugs at once. Because your bombs won't just hit the front row of enemies they're probably one of the best weapons in those tight tunnels.

Also mission 4 is useful for getting a first step into higher difficulties. Especially the Air Raider benefits there as vehicles cannot be web-pulled and the Gigantus gives some decent damage output. With an Epsilon it gets even easier.

eastx

A few things:

Play online with other players and it won't matter so much if you're underpowered (as long as they're not underpowered).

Play split-screen by yourself and use the other controller to control a more competitive class type. Just let your Air Raider or other unused character pick up weapons when things calm down.

Also, Mission 11 remains a great place to grind for items offline.

Top Bottom