• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

No worries, it locks on over great distances without assistance of any kind, good luck finding it
and beware its unreliability ;)
Ha ha, will do, although a reward some of the time is better than none of the time, here's hoping its timing doesn't cost me!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So ended up playing around 13 - 14 hours of coop yesterday with a good friend of mine (online coop) and by 2am - 3am we were so tired we couldn't play anymore EDF. During the last couple of hours we were doing mission 30 I think it was - big field, lots of enemies and it was very intense. My mate who is usually pretty calm (even with all the joking and piss taking we were doing) all of a sudden starts shouting 'You CUNT! The fucker just grabbed me out of the air and started chomping on my DICK!' So I look over and see him being chomped on by a red ant, desperately clinging for life and then being flung half way across the map with his body ragdolling :lol: I was laughing so hard at his response I could barely play properly and we ended up losing the mission before retrying. It just makes me smile knowing that this small budget game probably gave us some of the best laughs we've had playing a game together in recent years :lol:

The red ants are utter cunts in EDF 2025 though.

vireland

I'm around 40 missions in.

It's really good, but I think I prefer 2017 more as of this very second. 40 missions in, and only 3-4 have really spoke to me on a "holy shit that's excellent" level. The other 36 either do the same kinda shit 2017 did but more drawn out or just come across as new enemy arrangements and little more. Also, for all of the talk about how short these missions are, most of these are longer than 2017's.

Finished the Japanese 360 version 6 months ago or so and it's still weaker than 2017 for me. I actually just picked up the English PS3 version so I could check out the dub and the DLC (DLC is supposed to be pretty great, but I can confirm the dub is inferior to 2017).

The DLC may change my mind, but I doubt it. Played the crap out of EDF2 and 2017, finishing all the difficulties on repeated plays. Did the Japanese 360 2025 once and put it away. It just was less fun. Part of the blame is partitioning off the vehicles to a class so PaleWing and Ranger can't use them unless you have the guy that can call them in playing with you. Worst. Decision. Ever. The other issue is the repetitive and overly long levels. A design issue, for sure.

My game ranking for straight up fun and two player split-screen insanity:
EDF2 > EDF 3/2017 > EDF 4/2025 > EDF 1

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dear, I haven't even met them yet. My heart tells me that strange flame pistol will come in handy one of these days..

The biggest change is that they grab you, chomp on you a bit and then fling you across the map. BUT, I'm playing as air raider and my mate is wing diver. If you're playing as say Ranger it's easy to just hold the trigger down on your assault rifle and set yourself free. But it's harder with Air Raider since it's a support role and it's just not as quick to get yourself free from those bastards.

Part of the blame is partitioning off the vehicles to a class so PaleWing and Ranger can't use them unless you have the guy that can call them in playing with you. Worst. Decision. Ever.

Such a strange thing to hear, in my 100+ hours of playing EDF games I've used vehicles maybe 20 times, and never particularly enjoyed it.

So ended up playing around 13 - 14 hours of coop yesterday with a good friend of mine (online coop) and by 2am - 3am we were so tired we couldn't play anymore EDF. During the last couple of hours we were doing mission 30 I think it was - big field, lots of enemies and it was very intense. My mate who is usually pretty calm (even with all the joking and piss taking we were doing) all of a sudden starts shouting 'You CUNT! The fucker just grabbed me out of the air and started chomping on my DICK!' So I look over and see him being chomped on by a red ant, desperately clinging for life and then being flung half way across the map with his body ragdolling :lol: I was laughing so hard at his response I could barely play properly and we ended up losing the mission before retrying. It just makes me smile knowing that this small budget game probably gave us some of the best laughs we've had playing a game together in recent years :lol:

The red ants are utter cunts in EDF 2025 though.

Complete and utter.. I'm trying to figure out how to mine the beach level where they stampede 3 times and they overwhelm me no matter which tactic I devise -__-

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man. I tried playing Air Raider with a couple of friends online earlier today and it did NOT go well. Definitely not impressed with Air Raider, or at least not his starting equipment.

Though there was one hilarious moment that involved me not knowing how the Howitzer airstrike worked, that ended with one of my friends flying across the map. :lol

vireland

Such a strange thing to hear, in my 100+ hours of playing EDF games I've used vehicles maybe 20 times, and never particularly enjoyed it.

We always try to find weird ways to use them. EDF2 was the BEST for this because you could to awesomely fun co-op things like:

Have one person piloting the helicopter and another person STANDING on top of the blades, riding the helicopter from the outside

Have one person driving the hoverbike and the other person facing backwards at enemies as they advanced. Way better than being on foot when there were fast enemies.

2017 ruined a lot of that fun by making the other person fall off once the vehicles moved (boo), and 2025 carried that forward. I still hope they eliminate the vehicle class segregation and bring back the semi-glitched vehicles from EDF2 for the next game or in a DLC patch for 2025. One of these trips to Japan I'll arrange for a meeting and implore them personally. :)

LiK

ok, having a hard time deciding on which version to get. but it seems like Amazon reviewers hate the PS3 version. Are they right?

vireland

ok, having a hard time deciding on which version to get. but it seems like Amazon reviewers hate the PS3 version. Are they right?

1000x yes. I now have both (Japanese 360 and US PS3) and can directly compare. It's no contest. If you have access to a 360 and a PS3, the 360 version is absolutely the one to get. Runs WAY better (not a surprise given that it was the lead platform).

Also, boo on D3 for joining the "no manuals in new games" club. Was pretty surprised this didn't have a game manual in the box.

LiK

1000x yes. I now have both (Japanese 360 and US PS3) and can directly compare. It's no contest. If you have access to a 360 and a PS3, the 360 version is absolutely the one to get. Runs WAY better (not a surprise given that it was the lead platform).

ok, thanks. seems like most guys i know went PS3 but i really don't wanna deal with the performance issues i read about on PS3. 360 it is!

MarkusRJR

I never got a chance to find a copy of EDF 2017, does it matter if I play it or not? Also, how is this, better or worse? This honestly sounds like a ton of dumb fun (aka the best tier of fun).

vireland

I never got a chance to find a copy of EDF 2017, does it matter if I play it or not? Also, how is this, better or worse? This honestly sounds like a ton of dumb fun (aka the best tier of fun).

2017 is worth a play, for sure. The English dub for 2017 is way more fun and spot-on B-movie than 2025 (seems to try too hard and localization is surprisingly iffy/flat compared to 2017). Also, the level progression is smoother and more fun (imo) in 2017.

LiK

i watched the GB QL and it seems they sorta make some references to 2017 but 2025 looks way better and has more classes to choose from. i suggest just jumping into this one. i enjoyed 2017 but i never beat it.

klaus

The biggest change is that they grab you, chomp on you a bit and then fling you across the map. BUT, I'm playing as air raider and my mate is wing diver. If you're playing as say Ranger it's easy to just hold the trigger down on your assault rifle and set yourself free. But it's harder with Air Raider since it's a support role and it's just not as quick to get yourself free from those bastards.

That sounds great, being a fencer I pity the poor creatures daring to suck me close to them :p

2017 ruined a lot of that fun by making the other person fall off once the vehicles moved (boo), and 2025 carried that forward.

Well you could carry your buddy with the helicopter to the mothership in the last level of 2017 & let him place some nifty C70 bombs to blow that sonomabitch to hell, so in some ways it worked - we also loved to get up on the highest tower in the level with all the huge bosses in the city (uprising or something) and try to fend everything off from up there ^^

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Also, boo on D3 for joining the "no manuals in new games" club. Was pretty surprised this didn't have a game manual in the box.

Well at least with buying the PS3 version me and my mate went half each on the digital version so not too bad pricewise for us regardless of performance :) I may end up buying the 360 version for solo play though sometime, preferably I'd like a PS4/Xbox One re-release with all the DLC included for a good price. I hope with the PS4 the Sandlot team find it much easier to program for/have less technical problems.

KDR_11k

Fencer didn't seem complicated to me but the again I'm coming from Armored Core V.

I agree, the vehicles were rather useless in EDF 1-3, especially since they didn't scale with the campaign progress, only the difficulty level. With the Air Raider you get mid-campaign upgrades to the vehicles and the ability to call in replacements makes them VASTLY more useful.

BTW, the PAL version has a manual in the box.

2025 did away with my favorite enemy. I am sadface.

192.168.1.131-image66--screenshot_large.jpg

I like this game, but man getting webbed by spiders through buildings is awful. How did they let that happen?

QA is probably low budget as well :(

that's definitely one of the top things that need fixing, on inferno once it latches on, forget leveling the city to find the spider..
very_angry_gifc0ujq.gif

What am I supposed to do on 32 Thunder?
Find a shield and stay under it?
Failed it once and went back to grinding hardest on earlier levels, thought I'd ask before I jump back in just incase I balls it up again.

Loving this game almost as much as I did 2017. Just need to get friends together for local play to truly experience it.

Oh and the Fencer is waaaay more fun using than I thought he'd be. I really love his melee weapons.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought the game yesterday but haven't played yet, was just finishing off getting platinum on the lego movie game (lots of fun). Watched the giant bomb quick look and it looks pretty much like 2017 with a different coat of paint. Which is fine with me, have 2017 on vita and had it on 360. Love the dialogue as usual, and the main character animations seem improved along with building damage.

Is there any way to make the enemy blood green? I know it's just bugs but it seems oddly more violent with red.

Man, after watching the giant bomb quick look I'm really disappointed that I got the ps3 version. The frame rates are hugely different and the 360 version seems to run at 30 a lot of the time and only drop when things get crazy. Meanwhile the ps3 is chunking along at what feels like 20 or less at all times.

I don't want to drop another $50 on the game so I'll just deal with it I guess. I wonder how amazon is about exchanges in this case..

Exr

Mission 36 with the Wing Diver is giving me fits. All my allies die pretty fast and the framerate chugs HARD, making it really hard to avoid the bullet hell shit the game throws at you. Really annoying to lose all that time and the potential weapon pickups as well. Anybody have any tips? I don't think this should be that hard since it's normal mode...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Mission 36 with the Wing Diver is giving me fits. All my allies die pretty fast and the framerate chugs HARD, making it really hard to avoid the bullet hell shit the game throws at you. Really annoying to lose all that time and the potential weapon pickups as well. Anybody have any tips? I don't think this should be that hard since it's normal mode...

36 was the point where I had to give in and grind harder difficulties for better weapons. Only advice I can really give.

Dizzy

Banned
The load times....why the hell didn't they demand am install on the PS3? I've had zx spectrum games load faster than this.

I never use my 360 anymore but I'm half-tempted to dig it out for this game.

vireland

The load times....why the hell didn't they demand am install on the PS3? I've had zx spectrum games load faster than this.

I never use my 360 anymore but I'm half-tempted to dig it out for this game.

Worth it to dig out your 360. I forgot to mention the PS3 load times when I said the 360 was the one to get. The PS3 ones are ridiculously long, and they have hung up infinitely on us 2-3 times.

All this PS3 stuff is bumming me out. I loved 2017 on both 360 and Vita but I packed my 360 up long ago and put it in storage.

I ordered the PS3 version of Amazon and it's sitting here waiting for me to dig into it.

Dug into co-op with the wife tonight on the PS3.

Framerate definitely takes a hit on splitscreen, though not as much as I was expecting. Did have the occasional level take over 60 seconds to load, most were the usual 20-340 though. I'm beginning to wonder if the longer loads are from co-op. This is the digital copy, too.

klaus

Web-spiders or retardicus or w/e are the only thing I don't like about this game. Very annoying.

The most problematic thing with retardicus (that's really the name they should be given :p) is that you can't destroy buildings (or even vehicles lol) in their vicinity. I see why Sandlot did that (would be strange to have nets floating in midair), but you're really screwed when a thread catches you through a building. Best strategy seems to take them out from far whenever possible or get close quickly and finish them off in the other case..

Edit: Oh and it DOES feel silly shooting a spider web with a rocket launcher after leveling a whole city block, but I guess that's a positive thing ;)

KDR_11k

The most problematic thing with retardicus (that's really the name they should be given :p) is that you can't destroy buildings (or even vehicles lol) in their vicinity. I see why Sandlot did that (would be strange to have nets floating in midair), but you're really screwed when a thread catches you through a building. Best strategy seems to take them out from far whenever possible or get close quickly and finish them off in the other case..

Edit: Oh and it DOES feel silly shooting a spider web with a rocket launcher after leveling a whole city block, but I guess that's a positive thing ;)

Well, technically spider silk is far more resilient than the artificial materials humans use... But yeah, they're REALLY annoying and were probably designed for coop. Vehicles have an advantage there because they cannot be grabbed or web-pulled, the string shots do practically nothing to them.

klaus

Well, technically spider silk is far more resilient than the artificial materials humans use...

Now I really had to look that up - guess I was pretty ignorant on that matter, that stuff is stronger than steel (per kg) and quite heat resistant o_O

Aon

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do armour pickups work?

I just did a run of mission 9 on Hard with the Wing Diver and picked up 13 armour.

This increased my max armour by 3.

Do you get one permanent point for every 4 picked up?

klaus

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do armour pickups work?

I just did a run of mission 9 on Hard with the Wing Diver and picked up 13 armour.

This increased my max armour by 3.

Do you get one permanent point for every 4 picked up?

Found those numbers on GameFAQs
This is the amount of actual HP you get per piece of armor you pick up:

Fencer 0.58
Ranger/ Air Raider 0.464
Wingdiver 0.232

Happy farming ^^

KDR_11k

EDIT: Sorry, got mission 31 and 36 confused.

EDIT2: Mission 36: The mission ends as soon as the boss takes lethal damage so focus on that, only attack other enemies when they get in your way. You need range, that's kinda the weak point of Wing Divers so other classes might do better here. I killed it with a Limpet Gun.

UrbanRats

Saw the Giant Bomb quicklook, and this game looks fun.
I'm thinking about buying this to play it in splitscreen, but one question:

Ps3 or 360? What are the differences?

Saw the Giant Bomb quicklook, and this game looks fun.
I'm thinking about buying this to play it in splitscreen, but one question:

Ps3 or 360? What are the differences?
If you have a choice, 360, a lot less slowdown, especially in splitscreen, they were playing the 360 version, imagine it at 5 to 10 less frames on a regular basis and you got the PS3 version..I'm so jelly, I don't have an option but its still a fun game.

KDR_11k

this game is great. its a fucking grid and a half though. im 2% done according to the battle log. lol

To be fair completion counts all character and difficulty combinations so you have to beat each mission 20 times to get full credit for it. In other words just ignore the completion percentage.

Jrs3000

Is there a way to move faster with the fencer? It's so painfully slow. The dashing helps some but still...is there something later that improves this? Playing online with it sucks a little because people grab the drops since I'm too slow to get too it.

Is there a way to move faster with the fencer? It's so painfully slow. The dashing helps some but still...is there something later that improves this? Playing online with it sucks a little because people grab the drops since I'm too slow to get too it.

Fencer is actually fast:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101555894&postcount=356

Online drops go to everyone, so you don't need to worry about getting to them. In local split-screen armor is shared, but weapons only go to the grabber.

UrbanRats

If you have a choice, 360, a lot less slowdown, especially in splitscreen, they were playing the 360 version, imagine it at 5 to 10 less frames on a regular basis and you got the PS3 version..I'm so jelly, I don't have an option but its still a fun game.

Thanks, 360 it is, then.

Top Bottom