• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein (Daario 1.0) quits the Hellboy reboot in the name of equal representation

liquidtmd

Banned
Don't know any of the guys work outside of Deadpool, but he fit that role great with not a great deal to work with

Solid move, hope he does well

Such a classy move, i'm speechless. Hope this inspires more change in the industry.

lol at people justifying Ghost in the Shell, seriously stop.

I'm not justifying the creative decisions in GitS. I'm explaining why someone like Scarlett Johansson would make that kind of decision, and why it's easier for someone like Ed Skrein to turn down this role despite his lesser star power.

She took a role that would have been perfect for a asian actress. She doesn't get a pass.

I'm not going to praise Ed Skrein for an easy decision. People are in here claiming it isn't exactly that, and that it could have seriously jeopardised his career.

Are you seriously kidding me with that shit? A white man turning down a supporting role on the justification that he doesn't want to support white washing.

BLACK LIST THAT ACTOR!

Come the fuck on... there was never any realistic eventuality where that didn't work to his favour.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm not going to praise Ed Skrein for an easy decision. People are in here claiming it isn't exactly that, and that it could have seriously jeopardised his career.

Are you seriously kidding me with that shit? A white man turning down a supporting role on the justification that he doesn't want to support white washing.

BLACK LIST THAT ACTOR!

Come the fuck on... there was never any realistic eventuality where that didn't work to his favour.
Yeah, because he's real hot shit otherwise, right? I mean the phone calls were really piling up at his agent's office.

Unlike Scar Jo, one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood and the most popular recurring actress in one of the biggest film franchises ever.

But yeah, this was totes an easy tossaway for Skrein. Nothing lost. I mean he was already a household name.

Sesha

Alita gets more leeway because the source material is set in America

That shouldn't matter.

and the characters' ethnicity aren't explicit.

Fair point, although her original name being Yoko is a pretty big hint. Also, her fake mother in the manga is Asian, which suggests that her real mother is as wel.

Plus the lead is Hispanic.

The point I thought in cases of Asian characters being un-Asianed was Asian and Asian-American representation, not just that white people specifically were taking roles from PoC.

I think he might be referring to how they turned Daisuke Ido into Dyson Ido and cast Christoph Waltz. Lol. Alita has both Lana Condor and Leonard Wu in it, so there are Asians in the cast at least.

I was thinking about both Alita and Ido.

emalord

That shouldn't matter.

Fair point, although her original name being Yoko is a pretty big hint. Also, her fake mother in the manga is Asian, which suggests that her real mother is as wel.

The point I thought in cases of Asian characters being un-Asianed was Asian and Asian-American representation, not just that white people specifically were taking roles from PoC.

I was thinking about both Alita and Ido.

I liked a black human torch, a black fiancée for the flash, not so much a black L in DeathNote.
They worked, they were fine, they we're cool despite being different than the original source

Scarlet Johanson has never been a problem of skin, Motoko Kusanagi is pale white. The problem of miscasting was only a problem of appearance. Kusanagi is a muscolar and androgynous Android. Johanson is too short and curvy and cute in my opinion. Miscasting has nothing to di with her race or skin or nationality. Miscasting is about her phisicality

Zoe

And Battle Angel Alita, but the backlash for that has been almost non-existent for some reason.

Cause everybody knew what would happen once Robert Rodriguez was attached to the movie.

Oh, true. Well Ido's one of the few characters where I'm not too fussed about when people see him as white. His name's written in katakana, and he's
a genetically engineered space clone
, so I just choose to believe he's just got a Japanese name cause he's a weeb.

Edit:
Also iirc in the manga there was something about the humans of the future being mostly descended from either the Japanese or Germans, so in a way Waltz could be accurate :p

IIRC, Ido was a white guy adopted by a Japanese family. Naming him Dyson is probably a good way to sidestep any misguided controversy.

I'm not justifying the creative decisions in GitS. I'm explaining why someone like Scarlett Johansson would make that kind of decision, and why it's easier for someone like Ed Skrein to turn down this role despite his lesser star power.

BLACK LIST THAT ACTOR!

Oh come on, is Scarlett Johansson. Stop downplaying her, she's fucking huge, and seriously i'm pretty sure after Lucy there's absolutely no shortage of directors wanting her to lead films like that.

BLACK LIST THAT ACTOR!

This whole post is full of illogical conclusions and statements. I'm baffled anyone could think the bolded is true, or claim this was an easy decision.

Yeah he's a white use in Hollywood, but he's a no name and not one of the white dudes inextricably pushed into every Star role. Hell, his only starring role, as far as I can tell, was Transporter after Statham left.

I don't think there's ANY good argument for why this would be harder for a big name actor than for him. ScarJo isn't going to suddenly stop getting roles. Neither is Emma Stone. A lot can be said about men having it easier, but they are very much exceptionary in that regard

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The perfect casting for him is probably Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
Hmm...
Cary-Hiroyuki_Tagawa.jpg

The character he was supposed to play.

99132-175444-ben-daimio.jpg
bprd_killing_issue_3_2.jpg
Holy shit yes.

Not

Banned
One of the movie's producers didn't see anything wrong with it. This was before Skrein pulled out.

One last "I don't see race" for everyone in the back of the house who still thinks Hollywood casting directors need the benefit of the doubt

Foundling

BLACK LIST THAT ACTOR!

This post is really odd and confusing. There's been plenty of criticism (especially over the last few years) over whitewashing, and some people get pretty heated about it, but is there any actual real-life indication that actors are getting blacklisted over this? From everything I've seen the directors take most of the heat while the actors are basically fine, and the directors certainly aren't getting blacklisted. Given how common a practice whitewashing still is all across Hollywood, it would be frankly bizarre if people started blacklisting each other over it.

Honestly it sounds like you're bothered that this guy is getting any credit for what looks to most of us like a pretty bold move. Skrein is not a big name (he's not even a very good actor). He's not getting tons of job offers. This is a costly move for him.

I understand that you want this to be a selfish cost-benefit decision and totally not worthy of praise, but you haven't offered any real evidence that that's the case. Frankly, just the fact that he's the first person to do anything like this suggests that it's entirely sincere. Otherwise, why wouldn't other actors have made the same cost-benefit analysis that you're suggesting he made?

mdubs

Banned
Well, we are all Asian, but I get what you're saying. I do find it weird how defensive some Asian Americans get about their ethnicity, though. Usually only because it's followed by shitting on other kinds of Asian Americans, or the undercurrent of superiority.

I don't think there is anything strange about it at all. I don't know the way it works in the US but I certainly don't lump myself in as an "Asian" and find it incredibly off-putting when people suggest that any person from Asia will do for a role as if Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and people from other places are all the same. That's what I was addressing that poster expressing that sentiment and why it is so dismissive.

cjp

good on the dude for doing this but damn this guy has had the worst luck with casting. first he gets fired from game of thrones and now this

He didn't get fired from GoT. He left because it didn't fit in with his schedule for that Transporter film.

Edit: maybe not.

Aske

"We don't see color or race."

Fuck I hate that shit

Yep. It's the "all lives matter" of whitewashing. It's either missing (or choosing to ignore) the reason behind people's frustrations; which is underrepresention of minority ethnic groups in Hollywood and lack of diversity.

All lives matter when you're making laws to protect every member of your population from murder; but black lives matter when black people are being shot by cops in disproportionate numbers.

Don't see colour if discriminating along ethnic lines would create bias in your decision making; but do see colour when you're being accused of whitewashing. To not see colour in the latter circumstance is as bad as seeing it in the former. Context is crucial, and you don't get to absolve yourself of guilt by responding to criticism with a cliché that is only valuable under entirely different circumstances.

wandering

Banned
It's Hollywood. Tons of people change their name to get noticed.

How many singers go by their real name? Lol.

Tons of people change their name to avoid being discriminated against. The fact that "tons of people" do it isn't a fucking good thing.

Are you seriously comparing catchy stage names to trying not be racially profiled?

Do I need to pull up the stories where "ethnic" actors who change their names to vanilla WASPy sounding shit suddenly and mysteriously get many more auditions and callbacks?

Gattsu25

Banned
It's Hollywood. Tons of people change their name to get noticed.

How many singers go by their real name? Lol.
Is this a real post?

Are you comparing an artistic choice for a musician's stage persona to someone needing to mask their truth in order to avoid corporate racism?

Top Bottom