• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, this game is hard on normal difficulty. Loving the craziness so far ( playing it with Japanese voices).
The English voiceover is really good too. They got Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy, Colonel William Tavington, Satan (Castlevania: LoS)) to voice Lucifel. :D

BTW, since I'm in this thread, I think I'm gonna take the plunge on an El Shaddai artbook and one of these darling little Lucifel figures. Can't decide if I want the cute one with the umbrella or the one with the cellphone. Hrm.

Jhoan

Really? The first impression was what sold me on the game, and it only get better from there.

To each their own.

It's about 8 hours.

That's the funny thing about this game that came out of nowhere. I loved the fact that
Lucifel says to you directly "This game can be beaten in 7 hours if you're really good." I was surprised.

I'm up to the save point before the first boss battle in which you have to win (I think it's Azazel). This game is so gorgeous. I've been blown away by all the stages so far; this game hands down has some of the best artistic direction I've ever seen this gen. This year alone has been the year of great art direction games. It's a shame that the games with good art direction aren't selling that well.

Now I can't get the battle theme out of my head for some strange reason. Lucifel (well, I call him Lucifer ) is pretty funny and cool for a guy who looks like Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. The platforming sections have been pretty good so far and not to mention pretty.

Monocle

Played to chapter 3 (I think) on Normal, got really fed up with the combat. It takes way too long to kill things if you want to avoid taking damage. Who thought it was a good idea not to have an upgrade system of any kind? No health or damage increases, no new attacks. The pickups that are supposed to enhance Enoch's abilities make no discernible difference. Jesus.

I realized after an interminable boss battle with two armored boar things that I'm only interested in El Shaddai for the story and presentation. Every challenge this game presents seems calculated to annoy. Platforming is too imprecise. The combat system isn't nearly robust enough to keep me engaged. (I wish it were half as good as Bayonetta's.)

Anyway, I restarted on Easy and I've been having a great time ever since. El Shaddai is one of those games whose interactive elements mostly get in the way.

There's actually a ton of depth to the combat system if you play around with it, much like Bayonetta. You also pick up three new attacks in Chapter 4.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tragic Scream, Flight of Darkness, A Floral Creation, Twilight Overture, Rushed Progress, and Facing the Sanctuary are some of my favourite BGMs of the entire year.

I'd mention way more (especially the BGMs in Chapter 6), but some people aren't there yet. I love this soundtrack so much. I'm happy that more people are looking into this game because of sales and whatnot before the year is over. I was planning on getting the plat for this, so I might play it off and on again in the coming days, I guess.

Yeah, the combat gets a little better in Chapter 4, though some may think it's essentially Rock-Paper-Scissors (however, each weapon has their own platforming attributes, and there is one weapon in particular that slows down movement and weighs Enoch down somewhat, so watch out for how each weapon affects your platforming!). You get a special/super attack towards the end of Chapter 4 too. But like I said, do not go in expecting Devil May Cry. Enjoy the game for what it is.

I totally agree with those in the 2011 Art Direction thread who said this year was a fantastic year for games with great art direction in general. El Shaddai, Skyward Sword, Catherine, Sonic Generations, Rayman Origins and more had wonderful art direction, and developers/designers really showcased their creativity throughout the year. El Shaddai is a truly beautiful game. I love, love, love the art direction. And Lucifel is wonderful.

Aye, the combat is deceptively simple; I found that out when going for the platinum. There's a whole lot of strategy involved that the player can be oblivious to on normal mode. Not that I ever played this game for the combat anyway. It's like Dark Schala said - dat sensory experience! I want a sequel featuring a whole lot more of chapter 6's setting.

Jintor

From memory, I don't recall the combat system having a comparable level of depth to Bayonetta at all. It was functional, but not very fun.

From memory, I don't recall the combat system having a comparable level of depth to Bayonetta at all. It was functional, but not very fun.

There's hidden combos related to dodging and parrying at certain times, and having a certain rhythm to your attacks. It's not Bayonetta depth, but there's a startling amount of depth that most people totally miss. I guess you did as well.

Jintor

I do remember finding combos, but what was the point if nothing was cancellable? It was just repeating a button-rhythm most of the time.

Atolm

Aye, the combat is deceptively simple; I found that out when going for the platinum. There's a whole lot of strategy involved that the player can be oblivious to on normal mode. Not that I ever played this game for the combat anyway. It's like Dark Schala said - dat sensory experience! I want a sequel featuring a whole lot more of chapter 6's setting.

Yep, the combat really shines at Hard difficulty, it's very deep when going for G on every chapter, but most people will miss it.

There's also some videos from the small (and dedicated) Japanese fanbase, they're very impressive.

Jintor

Dodge cancel or parry cancel? I guess it doesn't matter since I probably won't touch the game again for months, I'm still finishing off Skyward Sword and have yet to start Dark Souls.

People say stuff like 'enjoy the game for what it is', but it may be entirely possible that I just didn't really enjoy what it was. :p

Kevtones

Well I picked this up from the Gamefly sale and already traded it in.

Bad pacing, tedious design, monotonous combat. Visuals are fantastic but I was really disappointed by the experience.

Jintor

I don't see how it's doing that at all.

If the combat's depth is not visible on a normal runthrough and only 'unlocked' through more dedication and focus to the game than would otherwise be apparent, isn't that hiding the enjoyable part of the game? Even Bayonetta, the queen of depth hidden in simplicity, has an extremely compelling core combat experience even before you get into stuff like dodge offset or high-tier weapon usage. This was a game where dodge-cancelling and parrying is not sufficiently explained for most of the game, where it was difficult to tell if you were being more or less effective. Combat-wise, it felt like the system was fighting me the entire way through.

I took it as a sensory experience and loved that, but I never engaged with the actual gameplay very much.

Zapages

I have defeated the first boss. I felt the combat is fine so far a bit monotonousness but still fine as it breaks the lovely sight seeing/artistic direction of the game and the fun platforming.
I feel the game is in the veins of Sands of Time and PoP 2008. Where the combat seemed to take a back seat that broke things a part. That I find fine so far. :)

Teknoman

I wish I could post the majority of Disc 1 on the soundtrack, but I can't, so a bunch of stuff got axed. :lol

Aw, I want to post some BGMs from Chapter 6 now, so if people haven't gotten there yet, don't click on 'em! They're so awesome.

I didnt even remember that Chapter 6 was that chapter, but somehow I knew exactly what to expect when I clicked on them.

Just beat the game a few seconds ago and i'm trying to figure out what Lucifel just straight hung up the phone. Or did he put him on hold? Also what other work did Enoch have to do?

Also did anyone else have a "oh crap" feeling once Flight of Darkness started playing while he transformed? Gotta love "now you're going to DIE" boss transformations.

bryehn

There's hidden combos related to dodging and parrying at certain times, and having a certain rhythm to your attacks. It's not Bayonetta depth, but there's a startling amount of depth that most people totally miss. I guess you did as well.

I saw it, I just didn't find it very fun. Mainly (I kid you not), I wish more buttons were involved and it never felt like you could develop your own sub-style of combat.

Is this worth $16.99 + tax?
I got this recently since it was on sale (PMed EBgames at Future Shop) but already have a huge backlog so I am not even sure when I will be playing this. By the time I get to this it may already be on sale for $9.99. ;p

EBgames in Canada is selling this for $20, I pricematched it at Future Shop since I had some store credit available and their 10% of the difference PM policy brought it down to $16.99 or so.

Zapages

I am almost done with chapter 6... I mean the game is awesome and the some of the segments in the game are very Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame in 3D mixed with PoP 3D elements.

Very fun and a great game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didnt even remember that Chapter 6 was that chapter, but somehow I knew exactly what to expect when I clicked on them.

Just beat the game a few seconds ago and i'm trying to figure out what Lucifel just straight hung up the phone. Or did he put him on hold? Also what other work did Enoch have to do?

Also did anyone else have a "oh crap" feeling once Flight of Darkness started playing while he transformed? Gotta love "now you're going to DIE" boss transformations.
Well, El Shaddai is a very loose interpretation of the the Book of Watchers and Book of Parables from the Book of Enoch. The ending is
quite open-ended, so it could relate to anything at all based on the player's interpretation. You can say that it sets up a sequel to El Shaddai because of the Water Nephilim at the end, taking more of a departure from the book itself; or you can say that it continues the rest of Book of Enoch (the writing of and chronicling of the Astronomical Book (where Uriel lets him read the Book of Heavenly Tablets which show him the past, present and future of the world and people), the Book of Dream Visions and his Epistles, in particular... since Enoch is primarily a scribe). I'd go with the first option.

It's completely up to you. As for Lucifel,
I think he hung up on him--I took the "Sorry about last time" post-credits to mean that he was apologizing for hanging up. Speaking of Lucifel... clearly, he's still an angel on the good side at that point, as denoted by the Hebrew suffix אל (-el; meaning supreme being, close to God, or God) in the neologism that the developers added (Lucifer is Latin in origin, meaning Morning Star... not sure when it started to take on its current meaning).

Oh yes, I loved that the second battle themes for each boss were more intense arrangements of the original tracks. They were very well arranged, and the instrument selection for each of them were fantastic. Even the cutscenes prior to their transformations had segments of those themes in them.

Just ordered this off of Gamefly. The "2011: Best Art Direction?" thread totally sold me on it.
I would've thought the soundtrack would be a deciding factor for you too. :O

Zapages

Well, El Shaddai is a very loose interpretation of the the Book of Watchers and Book of Parables from the Book of Enoch. The ending is
quite open-ended, so it could relate to anything at all based on the player's interpretation. You can say that it sets up a sequel to El Shaddai because of the Water Nephilim at the end, taking more of a departure from the book itself; or you can say that it continues the rest of Book of Enoch (the writing of and chronicling of the Astronomical Book (where Uriel lets him read the Book of Heavenly Tablets which show him the past, present and future of the world and people), the Book of Dream Visions and his Epistles, in particular... since Enoch is primarily a scribe). I'd go with the first option.

It's completely up to you. As for Lucifel,
I think he hung up on him--I took the "Sorry about last time" post-credits to mean that he was apologizing for hanging up. Speaking of Lucifel... clearly, he's still an angel on the good side at that point, as denoted by the Hebrew suffix אל (-el; meaning supreme being, close to God, or God) in the neologism that the developers added (Lucifer is Latin in origin, meaning Morning Star... not sure when it started to take on its current meaning).

Oh yes, I loved that the second battle themes for each boss were more intense arrangements of the original tracks. They were very well arranged, and the instrument selection for each of them were fantastic. Even the cutscenes prior to their transformations had segments of those themes in them.

I would've thought the soundtrack would be a deciding factor for you too. :O

So any chance/news of this game to get sequel, because I will definitely get it. Its fun platformer with nice combat regions that breaks the space down.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So any chance/news of this game to get sequel, because I will definitely get it. Its fun platformer with nice combat regions that breaks the space down.
Not very likely. Ignition's had a bit of trouble this year. This article is from June.

Gamasutra said:
Also unclear is the status of Ignition's Tokyo, Japan studio, which developed the action game El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. Former Ignition employees said Friday the Tokyo office -- which Gamasutra understands only had a small core team left -- was closed. El Shaddai is Ignition's next major title, and is releasing on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on July 26 in North America.

[UPDATE: Ignition said it has ceased internal development of games: "In order to facilitate shifting the publishing focus to more effectively work with innovative independent developers and explore new platform possibilities, Ignition Games has taken the strategic decision not to continue with internal development of games."]

They did announce an Android version for Japan, though.

Teknoman

Thats what I was thinking, with the
Water Nephilim still being alive...thought all of them were supposed to die, but I guess some stayed alive, like Ishtar's friend. The El suffix I knew about since the game actually made me go do abit more reading on the Grigori among other things
. I actually thought
Lucifel was going to turn on everyone after hanging up
, especially since they made such a big deal out of it "dramatic pointing" style animation and everything.

But yeah, the soundtrack was amazing, and i'd really like to see the same team tackle other ancient stories. Maybe something Egyptian.

EDIT: Damn it.

The team behind the game was dismantled when Ignition was forced to close their major office in Japan. But it's probably not all lost to the ether. There were rumors of a Wii U and Vita version in the future, so maybe we'll hear something by the Wii U's release.

Ra1den

I'm several hours in, and I notice the enemies in this game take too many hits to kill. Every time I get into a battle I'm like UGH not more of this shit.

Or do I just suck at this game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm several hours in, and I notice the enemies in this game take too many hits to kill. Every time I get into a battle I'm like UGH not more of this shit.

Or do I just suck at this game?
Are you purifying your weapon?

Try holding the button to charge up attacks, or use aerial attacks (bear in mind that the direction you're holding also can change the attack you're using). Sometimes you'll have to use the correct weapon to fend certain enemies off. It's a bit like a Rock-Paper-Scissors type of thing sometimes.

Arch (blade; allows the player to float ad have better capabilities in the air) -> Gale (rapid-fire projectile; quick dash ability) -> Veil (shield; slower platforming, strong defense, stronger hits) -> Arch. You'll get more weapon types than Arch as you move on throughout the game.

Ra1den

Are you purifying your weapon?

Try holding the button to charge up attacks, or use aerial attacks (bear in mind that the direction you're holding also can change the attack you're using). Sometimes you'll have to use the correct weapon to fend certain enemies off. It's a bit like a Rock-Paper-Scissors type of thing sometimes.

Arch (blade; allows the player to float ad have better capabilities in the air) -> Gale (rapid-fire projectile; quick dash ability) -> Veil (shield; slower platforming, strong defense, stronger hits) -> Arch. You'll get more weapon types than Arch as you move on throughout the game.

I am purifying, yes. Typically if I am using the Arch I will do a standard combo and end it with a launch, then do the air combo and finish by holding the button down and doing that spinning thing. Even on standard enemies, I have to do this sequence many times before they die. I didn't know the attacks change depending on the direction you are holding though, that is interesting.

I know that some weapons work better against certain enemies and try to use it to my advantage. The only other thing I could do is try to do counter-hits, the game talked about that but I never really figured out how to do them properly.

On another note...is there a way to watch the intro in Japanese? It always starts off in English and I can't get back from the main menu. Loving the visuals and story so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am purifying, yes. Typically if I am using the Arch I will do a standard combo and end it with a launch, then do the air combo and finish by holding the button down and doing that spinning thing. Even on standard enemies, I have to do this sequence many times before they die. I didn't know the attacks change depending on the direction you are holding though, that is interesting.

I know that some weapons work better against certain enemies and try to use it to my advantage. The only other thing I could do is try to do counter-hits, the game talked about that but I never really figured out how to do them properly.

On another note...is there a way to watch the intro in Japanese? It always starts off in English and I can't get back from the main menu. Loving the visuals and story so far.
Well, the attack change that happens when holding the direction isn't much of a change, but it lowers the predictability of your attacks (and that way enemies won't block as much). In a way, play around with your attacks and keep trying to use different things to get through the enemy... it's similar to building the Style gauge in DMC... kinda... But you're right. In this game, you can't really plow through the enemies like you would in DMC and Bayonetta because they do take a lot of hits, and I've noticed that more damage comes from aerial attacks.

I do think it's kind of dumb that your gauge is hidden from you until you beat the game.

The counter hits take a bit of practice in terms of timing (ex: hold the attack button lightly then release it, or continue to hold it for a certain period of time), but you don't really need to use them a lot unless you're playing on harder difficulty settings. In a lot of respects, to get really good at this game without getting hit takes quite a bit of practice.

I cannot recall if the Collection option is available for the player before beating the game, but you can just set the voices to Japanese and watch the opening movie in Japanese via the Collection option. It doesn't work when you switch to Japanese and load the game up again. :/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does anyone know which boss battle BGM has Tragic Scream kinda remixed in the background?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's Flight of Darkness, thanks.

I really liked this game. The enemy health could be tweaked a bit though.

RPGCrazied

Got this for $19.99, just got to wait for it in the mail. I really wanted to play this, back when it was announced, but not for $60.

DailyVacation

Neo Member
I liked the art style, music, atmosphere, and combat mechanics. Every chapter felt abstract yet immersive, more so than many photorealistic games out there.

However they could have fleshed the story out more, added more levels, and added an actual resolution,
not this cop-out ending of missing a final boss and leaving the rest open for interpretation.
Yes it's possible to do all of the above while maintaining the art style and everything that currently makes the game great.

The game could have been epic, but the overall package was lacking. It's as though it was going for presentation as its main strength, but there wasn't enough of it, so it falls back on its hardcore-esque gameplay which really doesn't make up for what could have made a truly epic game, like Final Fantasy epic.

Been debating picking this up for awhile and now that it's at the 20 dollar point, is it worth it? Something about it has been tugging at my interest be it the screenshots of the platforming sections or you guys discussing how awesome the soundtrack is. Im aware of the shoddy combat mechanics, lack of a HUD for the first romp and somewhat convoluted storyline, but do the visuals and aural factors somewhat diminish the negatives, especially for 20 bucks?

RPGCrazied

Just got today. Played like 3 hours. On Chapter 4. I love the music, art, but the combat sometimes is annoying. Mostly in comboing, you can't cancel mid way through. So you can get attacked from behind, while you are comboing someone, but can't cancel it out to evade.

Really digging this game so far. 20 bucks was just right. Up to Chapter 3 and the art direction and music is jaw dropping. The sensory experience is what I bought it for and it hasnt ceased to amaze as of yet.

Top Bottom