• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Stone playing an Asian-American in 'Aloha' is bizarre as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Am I the only one that thinks Emma Stone looks like a frog? I know that's mean, but I don't get why so many guys love her.

No, I think she's gorgeous. Must be her big eyes.

Edit: and regarding part Asian people with white features, that family I mentioned are mostly very tall and blonde, but all of them are at least a quarter Asian. Hell their last name (some of them) is Suzuki.

guek

Banned
She's supposed to be Asian/Hawaiian...?

giphy.gif

At least the movie is bombing hard. Kinda makes me question her character that she'd take on the role at all though.

hamchan

Yeah whoever casted her as an Asian-American made a huge mistake. That's gotta be the toughest sell ever because I'm not buying that she could be Asian, and apparently no one else is either. Really really really weird.

As somebody who is half Asian and who still looks white as fuck I don't really see anything wrong with this. I can see why people would have problems with this though so maybe casting her wasn't the best decision.

golem

I dont doubt that there could be asians out there that look like Emma Stone, but that is one strange casting decision.

She's supposed to be Asian/Hawaiian...?

giphy.gif

At leas the movie is bombing hard. Kinda makes me question her character that she'd take on the role at all though.
Well, it's a movie with Bill Murray, Bradley Cooper, and Rachel McAdams directed by Cameron Crowe...

It's not... Horrible in theory.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(Part Asian people can have blonde hair and blue eyes, its not that uncommon.)

Oh really? I've told my last couple of girlfriends not to expect my Nordic traits if we have children.

Dead

well not really...yet
Definitely weird, but tbh if I was a casting director, id send every role to Emma Stone too

Am I the only one that thinks Emma Stone looks like a frog? I know that's mean, but I don't get why so many guys love her.

On Topic: That really really doesn't make sense. There is no world or amount of mental gymnastics that make Emma Stone Asian by any fraction. I don't understand why Crowe couldn't have just changed her last name & added more Hawaiian natives.

I don't understand hollywood's hatred for asian actors...personally I think asian women are some of the most beautiful, and yet they don't want them in any movies?

On Topic: That really really doesn't make sense. There is no world or amount of mental gymnastics that make Emma Stone Asian by any fraction. I don't understand why Crowe couldn't have just changed her last name & added more Hawaiian natives.

you're not wrong...she's pretty and all, but I've seen this myself before.

Kite

True, but there is always a hint of asianness somewhere. A buddy of mine is half Vietnamese and half white of some sort. He looks white for the most part but something about his facial structure and eyes look "exotic." Emma Stone is a great actress but is 100% white bread, it doesn't work.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Havent seen the movie, wasnt planning to,
But from the trailers i had seen, i would never have guessed she supposed to be an Asian-American.

I guess the movie doesnt really have any redeeming factors no?

- J - D -

Blue eyes, blonde hair, tall and narrow nose, distinct caucasian eye shape and eyelid folds?

If she were even the great grandchild of an mixed race conception a hundred years ago, it's highly unlikely that anyone would have that kind of hereditary consistency of features.

The only way I'd believe it is if they told me that her ancestors came to China as Protestant missionaries in the mid-1800's, had children, who then migrated to Hawaii in their lifetimes, had kids, and then for the next hundred+ years only reproduced with Caucasians.

This is 50 years of inter-racial mingling:
62ea99a36aa33fa82769235a7ed0420c.png

Dryk

As somebody who is half Asian and who still looks white as fuck I don't really see anything wrong with this. I can see why people would have problems with this though so maybe casting her wasn't the best decision.
Being the whitest kid we know makes her being mixed-race a harder sell. Now if you threw a few lines of existential angst about it or something into the script maybe more people would go for it, but just sticking Emma Stone in the role and hoping for the best was never going to work.

Ratrat

I think her father in the film is Hawaiian/Chinese. The other half is Swedish. Others ITT have said that looking "white" is normal with a half white genetic makeup. What's the problem again?
Simple. They wanted their cake etc. It's easy to make an excuse for having a white character whose supposed to be Hawaiian. The question is why. The answer is transparent and disappointing.

Ke0

Simple. They wanted their cake etc. It's easy to make an excuse for having white character whose supposed to be Hawaiian. The question is why.

Because Hollywood is still crazy racist and they believe that movie goers aren't going to want to see anything other than white big name actors/actresses and anything else is a gamble.

suzu

It's not that white-looking Asian people don't exist (a few of my relatives are like this), it's more like well... here's another white-washed movie?

I mean, they couldn't have gone for someone who was even the least bit Asian or Hawaiian? Especially when it's supposedly important to the character and story?

I think her father in the film is Hawaiian/Chinese. The other half is Swedish. Others ITT have said that looking "white" is normal with a half white genetic makeup. What's the problem again?
The problem is hollywood has a problem with casting minorities and given even the flimsiest excuse with the description of the role, they go for someone as white as possible.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Good, now I await for this to bomb too.

My friend was an extra in that movie.
he couldnt give much detail, but from what he said its at or worse than Exodus in terms of:

light = good
dark = slave or bad guy warrior.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Blue eyes, blonde hair, tall and narrow nose, distinct caucasian eye shape and eyelid folds?

If she were even the great grandchild of an mixed race conception a hundred years ago, it's highly unlikely that anyone would have that kind of hereditary consistency of features.

The only way I'd believe it is if they told me that her ancestors came to China as Protestant missionaries in the mid-1800's, had children, who then migrated to Hawaii in their lifetimes, had kids, and then for the next hundred+ years only reproduced with Caucasians.

This is 50 years of inter-racial mingling:
62ea99a36aa33fa82769235a7ed0420c.png

Sorry man, I'm just going by what I see out in real life. A bunch of pictures of mixed race people you found on the internet doesn't disprove reality. Just an example, my brother's wife has all the features you described (except she has red, curly hair and green eyes) and she's a quarter Filipino. Genes don't always mix exactly in one predictable way.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Because Hollywood is still crazy racist and they believe that movie goers aren't going to want to see anything other than white big name actors/actresses and anything else is a gamble.

The problem is hollywood has a problem with casting minorities and given even the flimsiest excuse with the description of the role, they go for someone as white as possible.

Sadly. They're probably right.

Hollywood leans liberal and operates in a state with plenty of racial diversity. I'm sure they'd cast all kinds of races if it were up to their creative whims. It's not just habitual.

It's because they have data that says this or that race wouldn't play in X territory. White privilege means that white people are the most marketable faces around the world. More money is better than less money. White faces are always the safer bet economically.

It's a vicious cycle, though. Let's say they cast all kinds of ethnicities.. over time foreign markets would start to accept them and their ethnicity would have no negative effect. Foreign audiences love Denzel and Will Smith even if they are places which historically don't feature black faces. But sadly Hollywood is prone to choosing monetary safety over morality/cultural progression at every turn.

Matty77

So does this mean we can have black or spanish Spider-Man? And I don't mean a different character, I mean Peter. I mean if Emma fucking Stone can get cast as Asian(hahaha) can we stop bitching about the sanctity of the racial makeup of funny book characters.

I can accept a black Human torch long before my brain will ever process Emma Stone as Asian.

Hollywood doesn't give a fuck. This is a comedy film and they wanted two established white actors regardless of the plot. Diversity might sell an action flick but the demand for whites only romance won't die anytime soon.

Asians will keep getting fucked out of roles. Black people will continue to mainly get roles in slavery or civil rights era flicks, many of which have white lead actors. Hispanics...good luck. Hollywood, brehs. I'm not even mad. At least they're consistent with the bullshit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is the part that kills me. Not only does she look white, she looks SUPER white.

I could see her being part Swedish. And it's completely plausible for that to dominate her looks. My kids are half japanese but you wouldn't know from looking at them. If she is eg half Swedish and he other half is mixed then it could be diluted a lot.

numble

It is also possible for black people to look white. People would still have a problem if they cast Emma Stone as Storm in the next X-Men.

So does this mean we can have black or spanish Spider-Man? And I don't mean a different character, I mean Peter. I mean if Emma fucking Stone can get cast as Asian(hahaha) can we stop bitching about the sanctity of the racial makeup of funny book characters.

I can accept a black Human torch long before my brain will ever process Emma Stone as Asian.

A white dude can play Miles Morales.

jerry113

Banned
I could see her being part Swedish. And it's completely plausible for hat to dominate her looks. My kids are half japanese but you wouldn't know from looking at them. If she is eg half Swedish and he other half is mixed then it could be diluted a lot.

You're right.

But I'm still irked that in a film that could have featured a Hawaiian actress -- an underrepresented group in American media -- they still went with a conventional choice of actress.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It seems like the whole movie was problematic from the start. It has apparently gone through several cuts and edits and re-edits.

Kinda stretching it for her to be Asian-American but for her to be a native is possible. It's weird but it's doable. Just have somebody call her a haole. Then have her cuss that person out in pidgin for a minute. Establishes credibility. Worked okay in 50 First Dates.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For the record, I'm not here to say that there's nothing wrong with the casting choice, and I'm all for more representation of other races other than white folks. But it kinda hurts being a parent of mixed race children to see people argue about if they are "enough" of one race, just because they look a certain way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom