• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Quartett is really cool. The visual style is quite striking--it gets away from the usual textboxes, with a very comic/manga feel to it. I'd play it if I wasn't sagged down with such a backlog; told myself I'd hit it up in March, but... it's March and I still haven't even touched Tactics Ogre.

Yeah.

Glad to know gaf is so open minded about these things. XD
I'm actually a puritanical little ass like much of GAF. I just don't rag on people too much because of all the weird things I do--glasshouses, stones, etc.

tiff

Banned
I'm trying to avoid buying games I don't really know anything about, but I'm really tempted to preorder Demonbane right now.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
One Ok Rock said:
Glad to know gaf is so open minded about these things. XD

Mostly everyone in the anime threads are closet hentai addicts :p But only a few of us actually come out and talk about doujinshi or eroge. ...Only the manliest of the men!

...now excuse me! *goes to find scan of latest Onizuka Naoshi book*

Frankfurt

Banned
Are there any japanese NTSC-US or region-free 360 games with an ecchi tone, besides RRXX and DOAs? Any genre? I've been seeing all these japanese games that are never released in the US, and was wondering which are region-free...

Yes, i'm a perv (used to do a full-color comic called "NEVERENDS" that had way too many tits). Thanks.

Thanks!

BluWacky

Terareflection said:
Are there any VNs without romance or hentai with a female protagonist?

I'm assuming you mean a VN with neither romance nor sex, yet a female protagonist.

They're not visual novels (they're ADVs), but the Another Code/Trace Memory series has no romance, no sex and a female protagonist. Otherwise, with my very limited knowledge, I can't think of any VNs starring girls that aren't about romance in some form - there are a lot of "otome games" out there, which tend to be about romantic pairings with the various male characters but also feature other gameplay elements (specifically thinking of titles like Angelique or Harukanaru Toki no Naka De).

Some great DS VNs:

Lux Pain:
51pVuncl%2BxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Theresia (if you liked messed up Saya no Uta, you'll like this):
ss-010.jpg

Time Hollow:
51Xw30XNzfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think the list is missing Dividead.

Also,someone is translating Prison Battleship 2?......

nice.

You may want to have a NSFW filter on if you search for both games....:lol

dream

Fellow Los Angeles Clippers Fan Adam Blade pointed out something about KiraKira for iOS being on sale with all proceeds going to Red Cross. Is this any good?

I like cool stories but I hate anime girls. :/

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
dream said:
Fellow Los Angeles Clippers Fan Adam Blade pointed out something about KiraKira for iOS being on sale with all proceeds going to Red Cross. Is this any good?

Probably read something else. You can still get it though since it goes to a good cause and take and skim through the introductory part of it to see if you'd like to continue reading it though.

Also huge update incoming~!

Izayoi

Banned
dream said:
Well, if you were planning on donating to the Red Cross anyway you might as well get a free game for it, right?

VNs are probably not for you but give a shot and see what you think.

dream

Izayoi said:
Well, if you were planning on donating to the Red Cross anyway you might as well get a free game for it, right?

VNs are probably not for you but give a shot and see what you think.

Well, I like stuff like 999 and Ever17.

Yall are right though - this is for a good cause and, shit, maybe it will even make me appreciate anime girls more.

Dresden

Me: wow, I love Quartett's presentation. This is great. I want more!

*looks up Little Witch*

*the company kicked the bucket*

ffffffuuuuuuuuuu

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
Me: wow, I love Quartett's presentation. This is great. I want more!

*looks up Little Witch*

*the company kicked the bucket*

ffffffuuuuuuuuuu
Yeah, sad times indeed. They died off fairly recently too.

Dresden

InfiniteNine said:
Yeah, sad times indeed. They died off fairly recently too.
Sad times. It's just wonderfully relaxing to kick back and let what's essentially a comic unfold. I don't think translations are available for any other Little Witch game, either. Sigh.

Absolutely loving Sharin no Kuni at the moment. Just got to the twist and was floored!

Great thread by the way. It's great to have a list games that are all somewhat worth playing, it's hard to sift through this genre and seeing what's worthwhile and what's just a crummy sex romp. Too bad I get attracted to the expensive ones by the looks of it though!

warpaint

hosannainexcelsis said:
If you haven't already, play Shadow of Destiny/Memories, the superior previous work from the same author.
sweet will keep a look out for them

Is there any good PSP VN out there ?

li bur

I've just borrowed ever 17 from my fried. Ughh... This game was just so amazing to the point that I was so depressed after finishing only two scenarios. Damn even the good ending was just downright depressing. I don't know whether I can bear to finish all the scenarios or not.

Jintor

Phoenix Down for the thread!

Anybody taken a look at Embric of Wulfhammer Castle? It's a (presumably) western game developed by the folks on /u/ with RPGMaker2003, though in practice it plays out more as a visual novel than anything else (although there's some RPG stuff near the end, but you're blatently overpowered for it anyway). It's pretty well written, although the overall story kind of richochettes all over the place.

/edit Oh, and I should mention that it's set in a world that is more or less a parody of fantasy RPGs, and is also chock full of lesbians. Not too much art though, probably because of RPG maker.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
InsaneZero said:
Just finished Muv-Luv Alternative.

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

I think this has just become my favorite VN of all time.
I should add that in my backlog of stuff to add the OP! And I should finish reading it now. @___@

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've been playing this non-Japanese 3D date sim, it's hilarious and there are R-rated stuff (nudity, semi-explicit sex scenes). I hate to admit it but it's damn addicting.

Er... Is it safe to post the name of the game at least?

ULTROS! said:
I've been playing this non-Japanese 3D date sim, it's hilarious and there are R-rated stuff (nudity, semi-explicit sex scenes). I hate to admit it but it's damn addicting.

Dragon age 2?

tiff

Banned
ULTROS! said:

I've had discussions with people on this board about Sengoku Rance before. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom