• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entire Nether Realm Studios Mobile Team laid off

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to the details, NetherRealm Studios simply fired all the employees working in the mobile division. Now, many of these former employees are now looking for new job opportunities.

Good morning internet. Unfortunately, yesterday Netherrealm's mobile team was shut down. A ton of very talented people were put out of work. We had live services on multiple titles such as Mortal Kombat Mobile, Injustice 2, and Mortal Kombat Onslaught. I was also affected. Every single person I've worked with on that team is an amazing collaborator, passionate, and very creative. So, I am here to ask for your help. I am literally open to work. Quality assurance, customer service, or video editing. Anything remote or in the Chicago area would be terrific. However, I am open to relocating. I very much enjoy being your contact, but I would very much love any assistance meeting/contacting with new people. I thank you for your kind words and help. Things always look dark before the dawn. I hope we can help the Netherrealm mobile team land back on their feet. Thank you. #opentowork

gcFH8VE.jpeg
UG7r4ue.jpeg

MiguelItUp

Very unfortunate, but can't say it's too surprising. Wasn't sure how well their mobile games were even doing at this point. Per usual, I hope everyone impacted gets on their feet swiftly.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Hate to see anyone lose their job but these games stink. I remember playing one to unlock some skin in MKX or something and thinking it was remarkably bad even for mobile slop standards.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean if there mobile they should have the ability to move on easily, assume they have some sort of van they normally work out of before moving onto the next area.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm seeing this trend of mobile devs being kinda the first to be cut out from studios, or if they're dedicated to that then they close... It seems like mobile market GaaS F2P free reign is set to reach console's market complexity and it's not being seen as profitable anymore, I mean, they had very advanced tech made primarily for more powerful devices (PC, Consoles) and had a clear advantage of tools and years of accumulated knowledge on lower quality plus highly profitable games, they could just throw whatever F2P shit on mobile and loses would be low, but now that devices get more powerful and that bigger competitors push for more graphically advanced games, the F2P seems more risky, kinda like what's currently happening on PC and console with the GaaS fiasco these days.

I could be wrong tho, but that's the perception I got from all of this

Elbereth

Current job market in the US is so damn fragile and hard to sustain. I've got so many people explaining how hard it's been for them to find jobs, I hope everyone who's impacted land on their feet.
This is very true. Fortunately, I’m gainfully employed. However, I have never seen the sheer amount of gaslighting, ghosting and unprofessionalism that is present in the job market (Specifically on the tech side).

I'm seeing this trend of mobile devs being kinda the first to be cut out from studios, or if they're dedicated to that then they close... It seems like mobile market GaaS F2P free reign is set to reach console's market complexity and it's not being seen as profitable anymore, I mean, they had very advanced tech made primarily for more powerful devices (PC, Consoles) and had a clear advantage of tools and years of accumulated knowledge on lower quality plus highly profitable games, they could just throw whatever F2P shit on mobile and loses would be low, but now that devices get more powerful and that bigger competitors push for more graphically advanced games, the F2P seems more risky, kinda like what's currently happening on PC and console with the GaaS fiasco these days.

I could be wrong tho, but that's the perception I got from all of this

It's not a perception, you just need to check out AAA mobile games to know that studios that still believe we are in 2014 are bound to fail.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Sas for them, but I think mobile game developers are probably in better position to find jobs than console developers. You don't have to be onsite to test things on devkits, and there way more mobile game studios all around the globe.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sucks for these people and I wish them well, but I can't pretend to be sad about less mobile junk (not that I have played these specific games, but mobile is 99.99% F2P trash).

This is very true. Fortunately, I’m gainfully employed. However, I have never seen the sheer amount of gaslighting, ghosting and unprofessionalism that is present in the job market (Specifically on the tech side).
I've had complete strangers hit me up in Linkedin after graduating from kick ass graduate programs, expressing how hard it's been for them in their job search. Life is so harsher than ever before, stay strong everyone and hold your near and dear ones close.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Not really. After so many people said that some of the movesets, GAAS style gameplay resembled something more along the lines of IJ3 after MK1's reveal, there were several stories out there from people who were in the know that halfway during IJ3's development, WB decided that the gap between MK11 and another MK would be too long, and thus they worked with NRS and NRS was able to take what they had already done with IJ3 and just turn it into MK1.

EDIT- Now of course i cant find any of the articles anymore......but i remember people talking about it here too.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Not really. After so many people said that some of the movesets, GAAS style gameplay resembled something more along the lines of IJ3 after MK1's reveal, there were several stories out there from people who were in the know that halfway during IJ3's development, WB decided that the gap between MK11 and another MK would be too long, and thus they worked with NRS and NRS was able to take what they had already done with IJ3 and just turn it into MK1.

EDIT- Now of course i cant find any of the articles anymore......but i remember people talking about it here too.
Yeah I did some research and you're right. Also explains the multiverse stuff giving them a way out and starting a new game. Also makes sense considering how they went from 3 unique styles to just 1 for each character, most importantly though, at least I don't have to pick what special move I want my moveset based around anymore

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah I did some research and you're right. Also explains the multiverse stuff giving them a way out and starting a new game. Also makes sense considering how they went from 3 unique styles to just 1 for each character, most importantly though, at least I don't have to pick what special move I want my moveset based around anymore

I remember something too about them having just switched to a new engine (UE4) and between the work and learning curve on that and then building IJ3 (which would likely take years), the gap between MK11 and the next MK would've been like 7-8 years and WB said no since MK is more well known than IJ and they saw the GAAS bullshit trend that was just starting to show up everywhere and figured that plus the MK name had a better chance of making them more $$$

Last edited:
Industry continues to correct. If they've got skills and work ethic, they'll be alright.

The job market isnt some barrier as some perceive. Its hard for business or polysci graduates who were lied to that their degree would gain them suatainable wage. Its hard for those holding a ransom note of expectations in front of an employer.

If youre willing to work and step out of you comfort zone and ego, there is plenty of opportunity. Foster Farms in my city pays 21 an hour to move chicken breasts between freezers. Just piss clean and show up to work. Electricians, skilled trades and drivers are all in high demand and pay very very well.

Its sucks its not the 90s and youre now working more for less. But there are still plenty of opportunity to work and live a quality life. And the more work ethic we can inject back into society, the sooner that quality of life expands to others.

Top Bottom