• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic already working on Unreal Engine 6

Draugoth

Gold Member
During Unreal Fest Seattle 2024, Saxs Persson, the vice president of Epic Games, commented that the new technologies coming soon to the Unreal Editor for Fortnite (UEFN) are part of the “foundation of Unreal Engine 6”.

We made the decision at Epic Games to move our first-party team to UEFN earlier to speed up feature development with the aim of creating better, more robust tools for everyone faster.

At the moment, it may seem that UE and UEFN are still a long way off, but the Verse, Scene Graph and API that we'll be releasing in December are all part of the foundation for the future of Unreal Engine 6.

The goal with Unreal Engine 6 will be to unite 'Unreal Engine 5' and the 'Unreal Editor for Fortnite' in a single engine, allowing millions of players to co-exist together in a single project, like a true metaverse.

Source:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
"The goal with Unreal Engine 6 will be to unite 'Unreal Engine 5' and the 'Unreal Editor for Fortnite' in a single engine, allowing millions of players to co-exist together in a single project, like a true metaverse."

I imagine considering some of what we are seeing in 5.5 won't be production ready for quite some time that we shouldn't expect UE6 to be about amazing new graphics / lighting features.

Last edited:
I’m concerned with how well next gen consoles will handle Unreal 6. I mean current gen can’t seem to handle all that Unreal 5 has to offer. But maybe that’s always been the case? 🤷‍♂️

ZehDon

Given UE5's overdraw issues and heavy load, I really hope UE6 has a major performance improvement focus given how ubiquitous it's become. The performance versus image quality gulf has been insane this hardware generation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I love advancements but 5 doesn't even seem near optimal for the hardware we currently have.

And that is not a compliment. We have way too high end HW to be having some of the issues we've been dealing with particularly with this engine.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
They should build the engine on the foundation of zero stutters

That would be a good fucking start Tim

So What No GIF

Also we’ll get what, half a dozen games pushing UE5 in the whole gen? Sad. Took too long for devs to pick it up.

miklonus

One, I like this news, two, they still release games on PS4, and there's a very real possibility that they'll still be supporting PS4 come the PS6's launch.
Words of a "The First Descendant" player on PS5 who just played with some PS4 scrub about 12 hours ago. Trust me, I know.
When this industry cuts Xbox One, and PS4 off, then I can truly embrace Unreal Engine 5 and 6, and whatever they bring.

They obviously aren't stopping work on UE5, tim sweeney was working on UE4 by himself for a long time, at least 5-6 years since 2003, meanwhile the first UE3 game didn't launch until 2006, while UE4 didn't become publicly available until 2014.

Makes sense. It would have been weird if all their technically gifted staff were relegated to bug fixing and engine support/updated rather than moving on to a new project after UE5

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well they won the engine war for this gen, if the other studios don't come up with something, they are gonna win in the nextgen aswell.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Nope.

Also, UE5 will transition into UE6, just like UE4 transitioned into UE5. It's not an engine built from scratch. It's a redesign of workflow paradigms.
You're crazy if you don't think UE6 adds AI capabilities to its workflows. Major publishers and developers are all talking about it. I would put money on Epic having a team doing research on and prototyping them right now.

Herr Edgy

You're crazy if you don't think UE6 adds AI capabilities to its workflows. Major publishers and developers are all talking about it. I would put money on Epic having a team doing research on and prototyping them right now.
I guess Epic employs crazy people then. We already have AI capabilities in UE5. Look up ML Deformer and the Neural Network plugins.
I can't tell you what will or won't happen, but what I can tell you is that UE6 will not be fundamentally built with AI in mind. That is because most of what UE6 is focusing on is, as Tim Sweeney stated, converging UEFN and the evolving UE5 into a total package called UE6.

StueyDuck

Of course they are, why wouldn't they.

Just like Microsoft is making win 12 and Sony is making a ps6.

Companies look ahead, that's how they survive

GymWolf

Gold Member
We still hardly even have any UE5 games. Probably dont need UE6 until PS7😀
There are a lot of games in ue5 and we have still like 2-3 years left in the gen...

Immortals of avenum
Remnant 2
Wukong
Hb2
Robocop
New Fortnite
Tekken 8
Everquest 2
Stalker 2
Sh2
Mgs3 remaster
Enotria
Lord of the fallen 2

And many many others, it has been the best engine for this gen by a landslide.

Top Bottom