• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EQ enters the world of DX9 and Pixel Shaders

ManaByte

Gold Member
EQ000002.jpg

Before the haters show up, this engine was originally made back when the TNT2 was the top of the line card and SLI Voodoo2s made John Carmack swoon.

Omens of War came out today and it added DX9/Pixel Shader 2.0 to the game to give all characters shadowing and the new zones have reflective water, bump mapping, etc.

It doesn't show up in the screen too well, but for a 5 year old game the shadowing works pretty well. My Monk there is casting a shadow in the Gnome standing next to him and the shadows change with the movement of the sun overhead. So if I was in an overcast zone, there wouldn't be too strong of a shadow. Actually that shot was tricky to get as most of Plane of Knowledge was overcast at the time and there was only one or two small openings in the clouds where the sun was shining through.

ManaByte

Gold Member
miyuru said:
I don't follow EQ, but are you saying such an old engine was only released now..?

No, it's had this engine for 5 years. They did a big upgrade with the 3rd Expansion that put in new character models, and now this 8th expansion added full Pixel Shader 2.0 support.

firex said:
looks better than the sequel considering the foundation of the game, and i'm not kidding.

Yeah, EQ now looks like "a somewhat clunky-yet-servicable fantasy game" while EQ2 looks like "world of bad plastic art."

Sho Nuff

Banned
Holy christ, is that supposed to look better?

Actually, I remember seeing Everquest Online Adventure for PS2 and people were like "The graphics are MUCH IMPROVED from the PC version!" and I was like "Mother of God, if that's improved, what did the original look like?"

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Anyone who said EQOA was an improvement over ANYTHING is on crack. But honestly, EQ has never been about graphics. It was quite the experience back in the day. (Though this was before the MMORPG genre exploded).

Anyway, while looking for more new screenshots I stumbled upon this: http://home.att.ne.jp/surf/mirage/sayonara_norrath3.html It's nothing too special and it's pretty lengthy... but man did it bring back some memories. :)

Top Bottom