• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan wants referendum on EU membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

"Europe, you don't want us because the majority of our population are Muslim ... We knew it but we tried to show our sincerity," Erdogan said at a graduation ceremony in Istanbul on Wednesday, the eve of Britain's "Brexit" vote, quipping that Turkey too could hold such a referendum.

"We will go and ask the public whether we should continue negotiations with the EU," he said.

Brussels aides also note that Ankara's ties with Russia, the United States, Syria, Iran and Israel are all strained, hence it needs better relations with the EU.

"For all practical purposes the accession dynamic is dead ... In a way it has become inconsequential as far as Erdogan is concerned," said Ulgen, a visiting scholar at Carnegie Europe and a former diplomat in Turkey's EU delegation.

"It will be a piecemeal effort to concoct areas of common interest and build structures of cooperation as the need arises ... That has been the case for refugees, that will be the case for economic integration, possibly for cooperation on counter-terrorism, and areas like that."

Turkey will take a modest step forward in the accession process on June 30 when it opens a new chapter of negotiations with the EU on budget policy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-turkey-idUSKCN0Z82DA

I'd wonder how such a vote would turn out.

"Europe, you don't want us because the majority of our population are Muslim ... We knew it but we tried to show our sincerity,"
Nonsense. It's mostly about the fact that Turkey borders on Iraq and Syria, and Turkey becoming an EU member would put the EU on the borders of those conflict nations, which none of the existing EU members want.

Or should I say, that's why the public don't want to see Turkey join. There's a whole host of other reasons including economy, ethics, crime rate etc too.

Nice try Erdogan, but it was never about that.

It had more to do with human rights, separatists issues and conflict near your borders than anything else.

Now you can add to those issues your own presidency.

OK... and why should we care about this, Mr. Erdogan? Go have your vote. We don't control your country, do as the people there want.

Aiii

So not worth it
I would mind Turkey, but I mind Erdogan.

I don't know, I have some serious question marks with the entirety of Turkish leadership, not just Erdogan. There are some serious Human Rights issues that need to be addressed before we can consider a EU membership of Turkey at this moment.

Also, I don't think EU Membership can even be on the table until the Armenian Genocide is officially recognized by Turkey.

daxy

It's a matter of poor democratic governance, really. Nothing new that Erdogan hides his own incompetence behind a veil of politicized slander.

fanboi

Banned
I don't know, I have some serious question marks with the entirety of Turkish leadership, not just Erdogan. There are some serious Human Rights issues that need to be addressed before we can consider a EU membership of Turkey at this moment.

Also, I don't think EU Membership can even be on the table until the Armenian Genocide is officially recognized by Turkey.

I agree, not only Erdogan, but he is the face (right or wrong) of everything that is wrong in Turkey.

Joni

There is also the small matter of them not acknowledging Cyprus and Greece not liking them.

While I generally don't see any reason for Turkey not to join the EU, I think it would be wrong to have them join in these times.

* The EU as it stands cannot even function properly with its existing members. there is already a huge political rift between its eastern states (Poland, Chzech Republic and Hungary) and the western states.
* Turkey under Erdogan is as far from European values as it could be
* War in Syria and Irak
* The missing acceptance of the fact that there was a genocide against the Armenians

It will take a long time to sort these things out.

Until then, I don't want Turkey in the EU

The way our politicians are sucking up to Erdogan I'll probably end up in jail for criticizing him when Turkey becomes part of the EU

SamVimes

It's no coincidence that he's saying this today. He knows the UK leave side is scared as shit of the possibility of Turkey in the EU and he's probably trying to influence the outcome.

After France and Germany rigged voting system to favor them most and trample over smaller EU countries will it would be huge problem for them if Turkey joined EU since with 80 millions strong population they would have huge saying in all EU matters.

After France and Germany rigged voting system to favor them most and trample over smaller EU countries will it would be huge problem for them if Turkey joined EU since with 80 millions strong population they would have huge saying in all EU matters.
What exactly is rigged? The EU Commission gets 1 person from each country, no matter the size. The Parliament is by population.

Business

I don't see how the EU could accept Turkey in the first place until Turkey sorts out issues like human rights violations in it's own territory and media freedom, the situation of the Kurds and the invasion of northern Cyprus.

Condom

Nonsense. It's mostly about the fact that Turkey borders on Iraq and Syria, and Turkey becoming an EU member would put the EU on the borders of those conflict nations, which none of the existing EU members want.

Or should I say, that's why the public don't want to see Turkey join. There's a whole host of other reasons including economy, ethics, crime rate etc too.
Iraq ok but EU rejected Turkey back when they were doing well on most fronts, better than other nations that did got to enter the EU. He is not wrong that back then they probably got rejected because of being a Muslim majority country.

I don't see how the EU could accept Turkey in the first place until Turkey sorts out issues like human rights violations in it's own territory and media freedom, the situation of the Kurds and the invasion of northern Cyprus.
They can't. There is a lengthy list of stuff to get through before they can become an actual candidate first. After that all member states have to approve and every one of them can veto it, including Greece and Cyprus.

Iraq ok but EU rejected Turkey back when they were doing well on most fronts, better than other nations that did got to enter the EU. He is not wrong that back then they probably got rejected because of being a Muslim majority country.
Or because they didn't comply with even half of the requirements set out to become a member state.

One out of 35 chapters have been checked off: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Turkey_to_the_European_Union#Negotiation_progress

That's a very, very long way to go.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The most pathetic part of this is how Erdogan, of all people, is playing the victim card.

Turkey has never in a good shape to get into EU. In fact it's probably in a better shape NOW than it was before Erdogan and AKP.

The whitewashing of Turkish history needs to stop. Just because it wasn't religious Muslims in power before doesn't mean it was good times.

The most pathetic part of this is how Erdogan, of all people, is playing the victim card.

Keep rattling that sabre, nobody cares.

It's simply to keep his voterbase aroused and to troll Europe. And it works.

Yamauchi

Banned
Erdogan would be funny if his evilness wasn't killing thousands of people. He's such a quintessential slimeball, like he belongs in some shady craphole money changing office in Cambodia or something.

Or because they didn't comply with even half of the requirements set out to become a member state.

One out of 35 chapters have been checked off: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Turkey_to_the_European_Union#Negotiation_progress

That's a very, very long way to go.

This is what annoys me when people proudly spout their ignorance about how Turkey will be in the EU in 5-10 years.

I'm left wondering how the fuck they can be so confident in saying that when they don't even the country didn't meet the criteria in the past and the country has only gotten less democratic since then...

This is what annoys me when people proudly spout their ignorance about how Turkey will be in the EU in 5-10 years.

I'm left wondering how the fuck they can be so confident in saying that when they don't even the country didn't meet the criteria in the past and the country has only gotten less democratic since then...
If people were truly afraid of Turkey and that it is "taking over Europe" or some shit, they should actually be happy that negotiations are happening with them, because that is forcing them to become better.

I don't want Turkey in also for the foreseeable future, until we sorted the current economical situation in the EU out and Eastern and Southern Europe are on par with the rest. But if Turkey at that point is a society that complies with everything the EU wants, then I don't really see a big problem. And that is probably going to take over 50 years anyway.

Diancecht

I am Turkish and living in UK for a year so I only have a UK visa. I have over 100 European friends and I envy them because of how easy for them to visit other countries. I wish Turkey was in EU or at least the open borders thing...

Condom

Turkey has never in a good shape to get into EU. In fact it's probably in a better shape NOW than it was before Erdogan and AKP.

The whitewashing of Turkish history needs to stop. Just because it wasn't religious Muslims in power before doesn't mean it was good times.
?

I meant Turkey during AKP and Erdogan rule but before he went crazy.

?

I meant Turkey during AKP and Erdogan rule but before he went crazy.

Ahhh in that case yes I agree. There was much more hope back then from a neutral perspective.

But the staunchly Secular/Kemalist demographic of Turkey always distrusted him even back when he was in his sheep's clothing.

Linkyn

In parliament, they get the most MEPs because they have the largest populations. In fact, one could argue that they have proportionally less representation than the smallest members, since the minimum number of MEPs per country is 6. For instance, Germany, with a population of around 81 million, gets just under 100 MEPs, while the least populous can get 6 MEPs with a population of around 500k.

In the council, all countries have equal representation, because every member state sends their head of government, and similarly for the various councils of ministers. The president of the commission is elected by the parliament along European political blocs, and the current president is from one of the smallest EU member states (both in terms of land mass and population). Commissioners are distributed more or less evenly between the member states, and there's no guarantee the most important commissions will go to the largest member states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom