• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN.com's Sizzling Summer Top 50 (College Basketball)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

ESPN.com's Sizzling Summer Top 50

It's pretty much been a toss up between UNC and Wake for the #1 preseason ranking since the end of the season last March. Wake gets the edge here, but as mentioned, not by much. UNC's still #2 which is good.

2. North Carolina

WHY: It's hard not to love this lineup. Roy Williams has a team built for a title. Juniors Sean May, Rashad McCants and Raymond Felton are back after tasting the NCAA Tournament. Seniors Jawad Williams, Jackie Manuel and Melvin Scott are ready to be leaders. And the addition of Marvin Williams gives the Heels a stud as a newcomer in the starting lineup. Williams could end up scoring as well as McCants, which makes the Tar Heels even harder to defend. Roy Williams still wonders about depth, but the overall talent might be the best in the ACC.

WHY NOT: This team is still learning how to be a champion. Getting to the NCAAs was a new experience. Williams thought the Tar Heels could have beaten Texas in the second round of the NCAAs last season, but something was missing. They still need to find consistency, like beating Connecticut but losing at Clemson a year ago.

SUMMER BUZZ: Williams, as in Marvin, not Roy, is the talk of the Tar Heels. He could have easily chosen the NBA draft like fellow signee J.R. Smith. But he chose to go to school, and the Tar Heels got the more versatile of the two. McCants is also proving to be more mature and was snapping 3s and jumpers at will at the Nike Camp earlier this month. May is healthy and in shape, a plus for his preparation for a potential banner season.

Get ready for Carolina, bitches!

SyNapSe

It's pretty much been a toss up between UNC and Wake for the #1 preseason ranking since the end of the season last March. Wake gets the edge here, but as mentioned, not by much. UNC's still #2 which is good.

Eh? Well, I can't remember the pre-pre-pre season rankings they did a week or so after the tourney last year, but I'm pretty sure your wrong. Of course a lot of the teams lost players/recruits to the NBA.

Bowser

SyNapSe said:
Eh? Well, I can't remember the pre-pre-pre season rankings they did a week or so after the tourney last year, but I'm pretty sure your wrong. Of course a lot of the teams lost players/recruits to the NBA.

It was between UNC, Wake, Kansas, and...Kentucky (I think).

DJ_Tet

Banned
Duke's ranked probably too high. The ACC is STACKED like no one's business this year, and other teams' strong points are the Devils weakness. Wake has Chris Paul, UNC has Raymond Felton, Georgia Tech has Jarret Jack. Duke has Sean Dockery.

Dock's decent, and will be better than anyone will give him credit for before the season starts, but those three are STARS.

I agree that this will be Shav's breakout year. He was a beast in the NCAA tourney and I hope he's finally healthy and has two solid years. If Shav can be a star (sounds stupid I know, but I think he will surprise people) then Duke will be fine. They could easily keep their Sweet 16 streak alive, anything more would be gravy.

Duke's main obstacle will be the ACC. A damn good team is gonna finish 7th or 8th, and it very well could be Duke. I hope to see another UNC implosion, they've got great talent, but for some reason those kids have never been able to put it together for a whole season. It won't help if doughboy (Sean May) continues to Shaq up at the buffet table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom