• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

This is only my second roguelike ever and damn, it shows. I'm complete balls at this game. It's very charming though and I want to keep at it. I know there's a good game under there, I just need to stop dying so that I can experience it!

Shuffle my party, work on my formations, etc, etc. I'll figure it out.

Really missing that 5th character slot from EO though.

Well, I've gotten better. Since this post, I've played the game for around 30 hours and I'm not a hopeless newb anymore, but still learning the ins and outs of the genre. Love everything about it so far though.

Right now I'm playing around to see if I can get away with dropping a Medic from my party permanently. Still find that I require one for DOE battles, but otherwise can get by without one well enough. Sovereigns are fantastic.

And just when I thought about dropping my Hexer, she started getting insanely useful.

Great game, slowly becoming one of my favorites on the platform. I think I even like it more than EOIV and EOU.

I just dislike that for some reason I'm not doing that much damage when I'm pretty sure I'm overleveled and I have the best equips I can have, like what is the game expecting from me?

I don't lose, thanks to the Protector being basically immortal, but it sucks that every battle takes FOREVER.

My team is Protector/Dancer/Hexer/Gunner, the Gunner is amazing for "random mobs", but when it comes to boss fights she does no damage 90% of the time, she's there to bind... which is fine and all, but I wish she was more useful in boss battles.

I also wanted to say that the Dancer is amazing, her heals are no joke.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just dislike that for some reason I'm not doing that much damage when I'm pretty sure I'm overleveled and I have the best equips I can have, like what is the game expecting from me?

I don't lose, thanks to the Protector being basically immortal, but it sucks that every battle takes FOREVER.

My team is Protector/Dancer/Hexer/Gunner, the Gunner is amazing for "random mobs", but when it comes to boss fights she does no damage 90% of the time, she's there to bind... which is fine and all, but I wish she was more useful in boss battles.

I also wanted to say that the Dancer is amazing, her heals are no joke.

Yeah honestly I was not too happy with that system either, the whole having to put status effects on the DOEs before actually being able to damage them. The actual dungeon boss fights are not too bad though.

omlet

Finished up the main game last night.

Boss was surprisingly easy. It didn't really do anything, whole fight was over in less than 20 rounds I think. A bit anti-climactic after the struggle to actually get down there to the boss room. No healing needed, no one died. I think my paladin maybe lost 30 or 40 HP in the fight. And that was even with my hexer kind of standing around doing nothing on a few turns. ( ´Д`)y━・~~

Sparkly rare spawn bees and lions on the floor above the boss room felt tougher.

I do want to check out some of the postgame dungeons but this game is not as compelling as mainline EO games so I might take a break and finish some vita backlog (like Firefly Diary) before tackling that.

Parakeetman

Finished up the main game last night.

Boss was surprisingly easy. It didn't really do anything, whole fight was over in less than 20 rounds I think. A bit anti-climactic after the struggle to actually get down there to the boss room. No healing needed, no one died. I think my paladin maybe lost 30 or 40 HP in the fight. And that was even with my hexer kind of standing around doing nothing on a few turns. ( ´Д`)y━・~~

Sparkly rare spawn bees and lions on the floor above the boss room felt tougher.

I do want to check out some of the postgame dungeons but this game is not as compelling as mainline EO games so I might take a break and finish some vita backlog (like Firefly Diary) before tackling that.

its kinda weird how getting through the dungeons is more of a struggle than the actual bosses not sure why they kinda designed them to be so stupid ai wise lol

MLH

Eurogaffers, Amazon UK has this listed for 4 September.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WOS3ANK/

They are also listing Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 for February 12 2016.

NISA Europe have already given a press release with these games dated.
Etrian Mystery Dungeon is September 11th
Devil Survivor 2 is October 30th
& Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold is February 12th
also Danganronpa Another Episode is September 4th
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/28/devil-survivor-2-record-breaker-and-etrian-games-get-european-dates/

redcrayon

Parakeetman

Zweizer

Banned
Hey guys,

This OT never got much traction (at least compared to other EO games) and I never heard much about EOxMD after release. How is the game? Worth the money? How is it as a roguelike?

Thanks!

omlet

Hey guys,

This OT never got much traction (at least compared to other EO games) and I never heard much about EOxMD after release. How is the game? Worth the money? How is it as a roguelike?

Thanks!

There are a fair number of impressions in this thread and a few in the main CT.

Pros:
- Overall good adaptation of EO classes to a 3D battlefield.
- Unused guild members can get exp so swapping teammates is fairly painless.
- Cute 3D EO people!
- Controls and UI are good.
- Hexer made the roster.
- Fort system is pretty neat.

Cons:
- Overall game is very easy (only one wipe ever near the beginning), at least so far , even to someone like me who does not play roguelikes. I am in the first postgame dungeon and it's still easy. Progress is slower now, just due to attrition, but this game seriously lacks a sense of danger or risk.
- Exploration element does not exist in the way it does in EO. Exploration in EMD is not compelling, you don't get a sense of completion or ownership from it.
- Progress balance seems weird at times. Bosses in the main game are all easy. Normal enemies on the way down put up way more of a fight. Every main dungeon in the main game felt very anti-climactic.
- FOEs (well, DOEs in this game) are not well designed. Very easy if you can land ailments on them, otherwise unkillable.
- You only control one party member at a time while exploring and the rest are controlled by the AI. Usually this is a non-issue but sometimes it can be annoying. There are some things you can do to help/force the AI to do certain things (and you can tell the AI which skills to never use), but some things, especially the AI pathfinding and the way the AI will try to stick close to the character you're controlling during battle (so if you're controlling a ranged/caster, your melee might stand near you and do nothing, or move up then move back repeatedly), are just really poorly done.

Overall:
I like the game and don't regret buying it or anything like that but it's not as interesting as a mainline EO game.

Pros:
- Cute 3D EO people!
- Hexer made the roster.

Cons:
- Overall game is very easy (only one wipe ever near the beginning), at least so far , even to someone like me who does not play roguelikes. I am in the first postgame dungeon and it's still easy. Progress is slower now, just due to attrition, but this game seriously lacks a sense of danger or risk.
- Exploration element does not exist in the way it does in EO. Exploration in EMD is not compelling, you don't get a sense of completion or ownership from it.
- Progress balance seems weird at times. Bosses in the main game are all easy. Normal enemies on the way down put up way more of a fight. Every main dungeon in the main game felt very anti-climactic.
- FOEs (well, DOEs in this game) are not well designed. Very easy if you can land ailments on them, otherwise unkillable.

Overall:
I like the game and don't regret buying it or anything like that but it's not as interesting as a mainline EO game.

Thanks! It sounds like something to pick up in the inevitable $20 Atlus sale that'll come in a year or so.

Parakeetman

Pros:
- Cute 3D EO people!
- Hexer made the roster.

Cons:
- You only control one party member at a time while exploring and the rest are controlled by the AI. Usually this is a non-issue but sometimes it can be annoying. There are some things you can do to help/force the AI to do certain things (and you can tell the AI which skills to never use), but some things, especially the AI pathfinding and the way the AI will try to stick close to the character you're controlling during battle (so if you're controlling a ranged/caster, your melee might stand near you and do nothing, or move up then move back repeatedly), are just really poorly done.

Overall:

Id say this is a very fair write up and do not disagree with anything said

omlet

Well, my 3DS battery died this weekend when I wasn't paying attention. I lost about +80 level worth of enchanted weaponry and 7 pieces of armor on my main team. Ugh. Guess I'm done with this game for a good looooong while. :|

Parakeetman

Well, my 3DS battery died this weekend when I wasn't paying attention. I lost about +80 level worth of enchanted weaponry and 7 pieces of armor on my main team. Ugh. Guess I'm done with this game for a good looooong while. :|

oh man thats terrible !Σ( ̄□ ̄;)yeah i did the same when i lost my crazy p4g data

ALWAYS SUSPEND SAVE FFFFFFFFF

I feel your pain.

gunstarhero

Just picked this up, and only beat the first 2 dungeons (just got to using forts) - so far loving this game!

Came across this game randomly at Best Buy and remembered how much I enjoyed the Shiren games, so I picked it up without reading up on it first. I got burnt out fairly quickly on Persona Q (prob because I just finished EOIV right before I got it) and wasn't sure I wanted another dungeon crawler, but so far it's been great. The controls get a little confusing at times, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Parakeetman

Just picked this up, and only beat the first 2 dungeons (just got to using forts) - so far loving this game!

Came across this game randomly at Best Buy and remembered how much I enjoyed the Shiren games, so I picked it up without reading up on it first. I got burnt out fairly quickly on Persona Q (prob because I just finished EOIV right before I got it) and wasn't sure I wanted another dungeon crawler, but so far it's been great. The controls get a little confusing at times, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Nice glad to hear you are enjoying the game! There are some odd quirks with the title and it might seem a little easy, but overall was a good time most def.

SerTapTap

Just started this up ($18 amazon warehouse deal!) My main team is gunner, protector, runemaster and dancer. Does it matter a great deal who I use? Thinking I'll switch out the Dancer at least, going to try a dungeon run with 4 entirely new characters just to try 'em out now. I really love the ranged attack on gunner (wish she had more skills or that medic bullet healed HP not status), magic seems necessary and I basically stunlocked the first boss with the thunder skill, and protector's aggro management skill seems perfect for keeping my crew alive. I kinda feel like someone should be able to heal without items though.

Do I get more than 10 character slots later? Even just 20 would probably be plenty, I'd like at least 1 of each character leveled (via forts it sounds like this is easy?) and possibly some gimmick harvesting team.

edit: Oh, just unlocked the ability to add more roster slots! Sounds like I'll get plenty.

Parakeetman

Just started this up ($18 amazon warehouse deal!) My main team is gunner, protector, runemaster and dancer. Does it matter a great deal who I use? Thinking I'll switch out the Dancer at least, going to try a dungeon run with 4 entirely new characters just to try 'em out now. I really love the ranged attack on gunner (wish she had more skills or that medic bullet healed HP not status), magic seems necessary and I basically stunlocked the first boss with the thunder skill, and protector's aggro management skill seems perfect for keeping my crew alive. I kinda feel like someone should be able to heal without items though.

Do I get more than 10 character slots later? Even just 20 would probably be plenty, I'd like at least 1 of each character leveled (via forts it sounds like this is easy?) and possibly some gimmick harvesting team.

edit: Oh, just unlocked the ability to add more roster slots! Sounds like I'll get plenty.

yeah you will need a harvesting team since always feels like you are wasting points if you put it on the main team. Also be sure to keep the character with the harvesting skill of the resource you are going to pick up in the front. i had initially thought it was as long as they were in the pt it would work but they gotta be in front to gain the harvest skill bonus

Shengar

I just started playing EOIV after 6 months of hiatus and I forget how to level up lol
Think I've asked this before, but what's the best subclass for sniper, medic, and runemaster?

spiritfox

I just started playing EOIV after 6 months of hiatus and I forget how to level up lol
Think I've asked this before, but what's the best subclass for sniper, medic, and runemaster?

This is the OT for Etrian Mystery Dungeon, so wrong game. But anyway, Arcanist is a good sub for Sniper, and you get Bushi at the end of dungeon 3 which works well for Runemaster. If you're using Medic for its melee, Landsknecht is a good sub.

omlet

yeah you will need a harvesting team since always feels like you are wasting points if you put it on the main team. Also be sure to keep the character with the harvesting skill of the resource you are going to pick up in the front. i had initially thought it was as long as they were in the pt it would work but they gotta be in front to gain the harvest skill bonus

I always had my main team invest in the harvesting skills because they're the ones doing the most exploring and trail blazing.

This isn't like a regular EO game where you can know where the harvesting points will be and make targeted runs at them. I would suggest you put a few points in gathering on your main team. If you make a team for gathering and go make trips for gathering you will get frustrated when you don't find stuff you want. Better to just have your main team doing most of the exploring also do most of your gathering. This is especially true if you have the Pooka DLC quest, because getting a few White Potions to put your team 3~5 levels above where they need to be for the dungeon so that you can afford the skill points needed for gathering skills is easy.

Shengar

This is the OT for Etrian Mystery Dungeon, so wrong game. But anyway, Arcanist is a good sub for Sniper, and you get Bushi at the end of dungeon 3 which works well for Runemaster. If you're using Medic for its melee, Landsknecht is a good sub.

Well shit I posted in the wrong thread :lol
Need to continue with this game too
Thanks for the answer!

Parakeetman

I always had my main team invest in the harvesting skills because they're the ones doing the most exploring and trail blazing.

This isn't like a regular EO game where you can know where the harvesting points will be and make targeted runs at them. I would suggest you put a few points in gathering on your main team. If you make a team for gathering and go make trips for gathering you will get frustrated when you don't find stuff you want. Better to just have your main team doing most of the exploring also do most of your gathering. This is especially true if you have the Pooka DLC quest, because getting a few White Potions to put your team 3~5 levels above where they need to be for the dungeon so that you can afford the skill points needed for gathering skills is easy.

It actually worked out better for me having a team focused mainly on combat, since if I was searching for stuff was more loot runs than anything which meant it was going back to previous dungeons and such. Never got frustrated since knew my purpose there was to find items / resources mainly. Its how the particular mystery dungeon genre is just that now we have the EO character advancement skill tree stuff to think about.

Good times lol

Btw did you manage to recover your data by playing again? I remember you talking about the data loss a few posts up. D:

omlet

Btw did you manage to recover your data by playing again? I remember you talking about the data loss a few posts up. D:

Nah, I still haven't touched the game since lol. Turned my attention to Operation Abyss.

Edit: I did quote your post but my comments about gathering team were really directed to TapTap since he brought it up and I know you are already established in EMD. Anyway, long story short the game is so easy that spending skill points on gathering skills on main exploration party won't hurt you once you're a few levels in and have a few key beginner skills.

SerTapTap

So, does anyone know?

I kinda doubt it, the Amazon Warehouse copy I got for $18 was still the first print. Also, the "art book" is basically the manual, was slightly disappointed when I opened it up and there wasn't one.

I wish sites'd be more clear about what you're buying like this though, I waffled on a purchase and ended up passing because I couldn't tell if a game was first print--I think it was either this game or Persona Q. Since every Atlus game seems to have 'em now.

Nah, I still haven't touched the game since lol. Turned my attention to Operation Abyss.

Coincidentally I temporarily abandoned OA for this. Way more comfortable in a mystery dungeon/roguelike than a DRPG. Not sure I've technically beaten a DRPG yet, beaten Chocobo's dungeon, Izuna 1&2, two pokemon mystery dungeon games.

Parakeetman

Edit: I did quote your post but my comments about gathering team were really directed to TapTap since he brought it up and I know you are already established in EMD. Anyway, long story short the game is so easy that spending skill points on gathering skills on main exploration party won't hurt you once you're a few levels in and have a few key beginner skills.

Yeah man seriously dont think Id go back either if I lost that much progression also.

:D

Shizuka

I kinda doubt it, the Amazon Warehouse copy I got for $18 was still the first print. Also, the "art book" is basically the manual, was slightly disappointed when I opened it up and there wasn't one.

I wish sites'd be more clear about what you're buying like this though, I waffled on a purchase and ended up passing because I couldn't tell if a game was first print--I think it was either this game or Persona Q. Since every Atlus game seems to have 'em now.

Thanks, I'll see if I can order one soon.

SerTapTap

Is a huge difficulty jump between dungeons normal? I found this demon grasshopper thing in dungeon 3 that OHKOs anyone I have except my Protector if she's in turtle mode (she lasts 3 turns). Especially annoying since those are almost impossible to dodge with that long range kick. My characters are only around level 5-6 with bottom or bottom +1 gear for now though, I'm not sure if I'm expected to be higher.

Basically, am I expected to grind, or is that just a shitty enemy I'll need to work my strategy around? I think I could have killed it by manually using Provoke + runemaster spam if I knew it was OP. Also, do people have to be in a fort in the current dungeon to get extra XP or can I make all my forts in the first dungeon and not worry about micromanaging my XP leeches?

Also, while the team management options are great, the AI for teammates is pretty dang bad. My AI gunner will gleefully sit back and not attack if she's not technically in the room with an enemy, even when it's two tiles directly in front of her. Pretty annoying because too many of my units majorly benefit from manual control--the protector would be ideal to be AI except she spams Provoke instead of using it once per room, gunner too except her refusal to shoot for no sane reason, I assume my runemaster does the same too.

Parakeetman

Is a huge difficulty jump between dungeons normal? I found this demon grasshopper thing in dungeon 3 that OHKOs anyone I have except my Protector if she's in turtle mode (she lasts 3 turns). Especially annoying since those are almost impossible to dodge with that long range kick. My characters are only around level 5-6 with bottom or bottom +1 gear for now though, I'm not sure if I'm expected to be higher.

Basically, am I expected to grind, or is that just a shitty enemy I'll need to work my strategy around? I think I could have killed it by manually using Provoke + runemaster spam if I knew it was OP. Also, do people have to be in a fort in the current dungeon to get extra XP or can I make all my forts in the first dungeon and not worry about micromanaging my XP leeches?

Also, while the team management options are great, the AI for teammates is pretty dang bad. My AI gunner will gleefully sit back and not attack if she's not technically in the room with an enemy, even when it's two tiles directly in front of her. Pretty annoying because too many of my units majorly benefit from manual control--the protector would be ideal to be AI except she spams Provoke instead of using it once per room, gunner too except her refusal to shoot for no sane reason, I assume my runemaster does the same too.

Grind, since if enemies are damaging your characters can mean 2 things. 1 your characters are under leveled and / or 2 your gear is not up to par. So basically just level as its not that hard to gain levels either with the game thankfully. Though some characters do take more exp to level. Generally early on those things do hurt and as you mentioned since they cover ground pretty fast it is hard to get away from them.

Also if you look through the thread, basically yeah the AI issue is an existing thing with the game. Even more so if they are standing in a hallway. Its why my own style while playing was switching around with the characters and controlling them myself. No other choice really. Also other occasions they will do stupid things such as run off in a direction for no reason lol. Other stuff you will need to shut off certain skills such as the wanderers rock throwing or else you waste a ton of TP as they will be throwing rocks at everything. Same goes for other classes in general that you dont want them to waste TP

I dont remember exactly if they had to be assigned to a fort to gain exp or not for the stand by characters. But I generally had everyone assigned to one regardless. Which is most likely why I dont remember if it matters or not.

omlet

I never experienced big overall difficulty jumps between dungeons, but what you will definitely experience throughout the game are superpowered normal enemies (they sparkle) which get stronger as you progress, both horizontally (new dungeons) and vertically (deeper into a dungeon). Their attack and defense are much higher than usual and can do serious damage. Honestly, they are the biggest threat in the whole game because of how frequent and strong they are. Even DOEs and bosses are less of a problem.

Basically, am I expected to grind, or is that just a shitty enemy I'll need to work my strategy around?
The latter, mainly, but grinding will help. Also status ailments are even more critical in this game than regular EO games. If you're not running with a Hexer
then shame on you
then invest in other options like Gunner's bind shots and/or always carry ailment/bind sigils and use them liberally on strong enemies.

Also, do people have to be in a fort in the current dungeon to get extra XP or can I make all my forts in the first dungeon and not worry about micromanaging my XP leeches?
Members chilling in any fort in any dungeon will get exp while you explore any dungeon. The arrangement of members in forts is only important for potential DOE invasions.

Yep, it's frustrating, and it will never get better. The AI will not respond to things when the unit is on a "path" (this includes paths carved in the terrain by skills, explosions, and large DOEs) unless immediately adjacent to something. The AI only works beyond the adjacent square when the unit itself is standing in a "room."

You just need to work around it by switching members in combat frequently to reposition them. Also look into toggling certain skills off so that the AI doesn't use them when you don't want them to (you can still use them if you are manually controlling that unit).

SerTapTap

Yeah I did notice the Wanderer gleefully throwing stones and burning TP when my gunner just sat there with a clear shot, both in the hallway. Haven't turned off skills yet but I probably will since they don't seem to understand that they've already cast a buff. Perhaps a good thing, but my initial thought of "just use 4 gunners" to exploit range seems like it would be completely destroyed by the AI.

Also, do monsters not enter hallways unless they're chasing you? Hallways feel oddly safe and unless I'm mistaken enemies don't continue to spawn after entering a floor? Feels a bit odd. But I guess that makes planning easier.

How good do those debuff guys get? I always liked the idea of playing for status effects but way too few RPGs make them actually worth using. But I paralyze-locked the first boss with a single runemaster so it seems status might be a pretty big deal in this.

I never experienced big overall difficulty jumps between dungeons, but what you will definitely experience throughout the game are superpowered normal enemies (they sparkle) which get stronger as you progress, both horizontally (new dungeons) and vertically (deeper into a dungeon). Their attack and defense are much higher than usual and can do serious damage. Honestly, they are the biggest threat in the whole game because of how frequent and strong they are. Even DOEs and bosses are less of a problem.

The latter, mainly, but grinding will help. Also status ailments are even more critical in this game than regular EO games. If you're not running with a Hexer
then shame on you
then invest in other options like Gunner's bind shots and/or always carry ailment/bind sigils and use them liberally on strong enemies.

Members chilling in any fort in any dungeon will get exp while you explore any dungeon. The arrangement of members in forts is only important for potential DOE invasions.

Yep, it's frustrating, and it will never get better. The AI will not respond to things when the unit is on a "path" (this includes paths carved in the terrain by skills, explosions, and large DOEs) unless immediately adjacent to something. The AI only works beyond the adjacent square when the unit itself is standing in a "room."

You just need to work around it by switching members in combat frequently to reposition them. Also look into toggling certain skills off so that the AI doesn't use them when you don't want them to (you can still use them if you are manually controlling that unit).

Yeah, it sparkled and had demon in the name so I wasn't sure if it was some sort of special.

The game seems kind of dumb about what's considered a "room". Usually "whole room" skills should also affect 1-2 tiles in a hallway. This game in general seems to consider hallways useless fluff, enemies don't seem to enter them, they're always perfectly straight, lots of skills don't work with them, and I haven't noticed any "hallways over water so AOE foes can chase your ass" which are often a staple.

Parakeetman

Yeah pretty much what omlet said about the dungeons. Generally if one is taking damage means you rushed too early into the next area without properly leveling. But outside of that there should not be some sort of unfair leap in difficulty. Outside of just being plain unlucky with the randomization of a dungeon and winding up in the middle of a bunch of shit that wants to kill you lol.

Those gold ones are a pain also if you run into one and are not strong enough to kill it right away. Great exp if it dies before you do though!

Yeah I did notice the Wanderer gleefully throwing stones and burning TP when my gunner just sat there with a clear shot, both in the hallway. Haven't turned off skills yet but I probably will since they don't seem to understand that they've already cast a buff. Perhaps a good thing, but my initial thought of "just use 4 gunners" to exploit range seems like it would be completely destroyed by the AI.

Also, do monsters not enter hallways unless they're chasing you? Hallways feel oddly safe and unless I'm mistaken enemies don't continue to spawn after entering a floor? Feels a bit odd. But I guess that makes planning easier.

How good do those debuff guys get? I always liked the idea of playing for status effects but way too few RPGs make them actually worth using. But I paralyze-locked the first boss with a single runemaster so it seems status might be a pretty big deal in this.

Debuffs are pretty important for the DOEs. Since you cant damage them unless debuffs are active on said DOE.

SerTapTap

I take it I should know what a DOE is and that it's very bad? Do I need to take that debuff mage every time they invade then? My normal party has some status effects but just disable arm/leg and paralyze so far.

Parakeetman

I take it I should know what a DOE is and that it's very bad? Do I need to take that debuff mage every time they invade then? My normal party has some status effects but just disable arm/leg and paralyze so far.

Ah those will show up once you advance in the story. What they are is basically a stronger enemy type that will literally chase you through the dungeons and try to make its way to the top and out of the dungeon. If it does manage to get out of the dungeon it destroys part of your town lowering the level of structures causing you to have to perform repairs. Something like that anyways, the game will give you general info when you reach that point.

The purpose of those forts is to slow it down also. Plus having sub members at specific forts helps when trying to kill one thanks to the extra man power.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/etrian-mystery-dungeon-3ds-review-terror-from-the-deep

In that link above the author wrote about them also if you want to take a look.

omlet

Typically monsters won't go in hallways and will stay in rooms, but there are a few exceptions besides just chasing you. As for monsters spawning, oh, they most certainly indeed continue to spawn on the floor. If you clear a room and come back, monsters will frequently have respawned there, though typically just one or two.

Hexers are gods in EMD.

One time while exploring in the second half of the last (story) dungeon Rinko, my Hexer, stepped on a warp trap tile and got teleported into a room with about a dozen enemies, including 2 sparkly ones.

My protector was like 25 steps from the nearest stairs.

Rinko just stood there and curse bombed the room while my protector made a beeline for the stairs because I had no summon scroll to warp her back to the party.

A couple of the weaker monsters died of poison or from being killed by their allies. The rest were in various states of confusion, paralysis, sleep, and immobility.

Rinko was unharmed.

Parakeetman

drive_me_closer_hoplite_colored_by_triplespearmint-d4tfkh2.jpg

On the topic of the prince / princess omlet did you notice that their hunger levels drop a lot slower than other classes for whatever reason? Its why I always ran around as my Princess most of the time due to that. Not sure if they meant to design it that way since I dont recall reading anything about that being a skill of theirs.

SerTapTap

Typically monsters won't go in hallways and will stay in rooms, but there are a few exceptions besides just chasing you. As for monsters spawning, oh, they most certainly indeed continue to spawn on the floor. If you clear a room and come back, monsters will frequently have respawned there, though typically just one or two.

I guess I just haven't noticed the respawning because I'm used to being constantly chased by new monsters roaming hallways if I dawdle on a floor. It changes the dynamic quite a bit, bumping into a monster in a hallway in Izuna can be scary shit (though the "spawn 10 monster" traps were the real difficulty...glad I haven't found those in this so far)

Hexers are gods in EMD.

One time while exploring in the second half of the last (story) dungeon Rinko, my Hexer, stepped on a warp trap tile and got teleported into a room with about a dozen enemies, including 2 sparkly ones.

My protector was like 25 steps from the nearest stairs.

Rinko just stood there and curse bombed the room while my protector made a beeline for the stairs because I had no summon scroll to warp her back to the party.

A couple of the weaker monsters died of poison or from being killed by their allies. The rest were in various states of confusion, paralysis, sleep, and immobility.

Rinko was unharmed.

Going to start leveling my hexer ASAP then. Cool they have AOE. I currently use a Gunner, Protector, Runemaster and I'm trying out a Sovereign, should I switch the gunner or Sovereign for a Hexer? I assume I need the magic attack type (and she does the most single turn damage anyway) and the tank is too useful to lose. I loved the idea of the gunner but she's not nearly as useful unless I'm manually controlling her. I don't want to lose the sovereign because her design is awesome

Parakeetman

I guess I just haven't noticed the respawning because I'm used to being constantly chased by new monsters roaming hallways if I dawdle on a floor. It changes the dynamic quite a bit, bumping into a monster in a hallway in Izuna can be scary shit (though the "spawn 10 monster" traps were the real difficulty...glad I haven't found those in this so far)

Going to start leveling my hexer ASAP then. Cool they have AOE. I currently use a Gunner, Protector, Runemaster and I'm trying out a Sovereign, should I switch the gunner or Sovereign for a Hexer? I assume I need the magic attack type (and she does the most single turn damage anyway) and the tank is too useful to lose. I loved the idea of the gunner but she's not nearly as useful unless I'm manually controlling her. I don't want to lose the sovereign because her design is awesome

Atlus Prime was pretty into using gunners to melt faces with I do believe Hexers also with that suicide pact? skill or something forgot what the translated name was. But generally its up to your playstyle. You will be swapping out characters sometimes anyways so its good to just try to keep everyone around the same levels / well equipped. Though yeah leveling a hexer will most def help. A Sovereign is pretty useful for constant support of the overall party as long as they stay in range. Im constantly using one due to the support skills you can learn. But the thing is, that was my general play style in EO3 so there is that. Since the game is quite flexible for the most part just experiment with what works for your playstyle.

omlet

On the topic of the prince / princess omlet did you notice that their hunger levels drop a lot slower than other classes for whatever reason? Its why I always ran around as my Princess most of the time due to that. Not sure if they meant to design it that way since I dont recall reading anything about that being a skill of theirs.

No, I never noticed that. I frequently would have my hexer on point in hallways when I knew the dungeon halls were normally safe so that she'd be the first one in the room to inflict ailments before stepping aside for the protector to provoke and the rest of the team to move in. I switched around lead characters often (also because my exploration team was my gathering team, remember). I think in 60+ hours of gameplay I used food items like bread a grand total of 3 times (I used Glutton Potions more often than that but still not very often).

Edit: That picture is amazing lol.

Try out different combinations to see what works for you. My team for 99% of the game was Protector, Hexer, Gunner, Dancer. Protector would tank and do decent damage. Dancer was my healer and also #1 DPS. Gunner has the range advantage and also handled elemental attacks. Hexer cursed everything with a smirk on her face. It' swap out the Runemaster for the Hexer in your party. Or the gunner. You'll want at least 1 character with on-demand elemental attacks. Your Princess can handle the healing.

Top Bottom