• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

ys45

Started this 2 days ago I'm at the 4th dungeon like it so far .
I like the fact you can have a lot of character and they can still get exp and lvl up .

How long is this game ?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I like the fact you can have a lot of character and they can still get exp and lvl up .

How long is this game ?

Seda said the following about playtime

Unfortunately the game doesn't have a clock. I figure I spent about 25 hours getting to the credits and about 20 past that, but the error bars on that are probably wide.

The game is coming to EU this fall with the help of NISA, of course. :) Better late than never
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dznAmveZBnE

Glad to see the info is out for the fans in the EU. Went and updated the first question in the FAQ to reflect this new info.

How long is this game ?

While I can't give you an hour count, there are
_7_
main game dungeons and
5+3
post game dungeons. Each main game dungeon is about
_5_
floors longer than the previous one.

omlet

I got my copy on Monday and have made it to the 3rd dungeon . Haven't had much time to really dig into the game yet but I'm enjoying it so far.

It took me a while to figure out how to change direction without actually moving lol... that frustrated me at first but now all is well. The AI is not really bothering me. I switch leaders constantly in battle and have been doing alright. Had a few "bail out!" moments so far but haven't been wiped out yet.

Parakeetman

I got my copy on Monday and have made it to the 3rd dungeon . Haven't had much time to really dig into the game yet but I'm enjoying it so far.

It took me a while to figure out how to change direction without actually moving lol... that frustrated me at first but now all is well. The AI is not really bothering me. I switch leaders constantly in battle and have been doing alright. Had a few "bail out!" moments so far but haven't been wiped out yet.

Nice glad to hear you got the game too finally :D

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is there a way to make your followers actually follow you? Like a full teather. Example is: I enter a room. It is filled with monsters at the other end. I want to run out so I leave the way I came. My partners either stay right where they are, or go and attack. Death follows.

Parakeetman

Is there a way to make your followers actually follow you? Like a full teather. Example is: I enter a room. It is filled with monsters at the other end. I want to run out so I leave the way I came. My partners either stay right where they are, or go and attack. Death follows.

Only thing you can really do is carry around those recall scrolls unfortunately. As atlusprime said

Medic, where are you going? Medic? Medic?! MEDIC!!!!

(•_•)
<) )&#9583; RE-
/ \

\(&#8226;_&#8226;)
( (> CALL
/ \

(&#8226;_&#8226;)
<) )> SCROLL
/ \

And all was right in the world.

lol

Parakeetman

Got the game yesterday, what should I expect?

To get wrecked by normal enemies for a little while lol

One thing folks might not be used to who are unfamiliar with the mystery dungeon genre is the whole stamina (hunger) and things like treasure boxes vanish after X amount of actions.

Treasure boxes will be a blinking blue dot on your minimap so look out for that when you get into a room. Rats can pick these up and throw it at you making the contents / chest worthless when it hits you. There are items which can teleport you to where it is thrown but you need to find those in the dungeon.

Outside of that just read the tips in the OT

jackal27

Banned
I play a lot of roguelikes and when does the difficulty pick up? I'm at the 4th dungeon, I've done every quest, and I haven't had to do a single rescue yet. I've only had 1 or 2 deaths. Then again... No DOEs yet.

Still a great game though.

Parakeetman

I play a lot of roguelikes and when does the difficulty pick up? I'm at the 4th dungeon, I've done every quest, and I haven't had to do a single rescue yet. I've only had 1 or 2 deaths. Then again... No DOEs yet.

4th dungeon is where the DOEs show up. Good luck lol

GeekyDad

In addition to recall scrolls, I believe there's a blast skill that will also command your party members to follow you.

Shiina

I haven't played roguelikes before but for me it never picked up. Haven't done most of the post-game yet, though, so maybe it gets more difficult there.

omlet

Got wiped out for the first time at the boss of third dungeon last night. What a jerk! At least I know what to expect next time and I didn't lose any good weapons.

duckroll

The game is definitely fun in bite-sizes, but yeah after figuring out the initial stuff it isn't really that challenging. Mixing the EO stuff into the MD format really gimps the challenge of the MD design. Roguelikes are designed to be tough based on the risk/reward factor of progression since you get stronger and stronger as you continue a run but if you don't bail out before you get in over your head you lose everything. Here there really isn't much "risk" because you have persistent inventory, persistent levels, and your guild size is so big any time one party falls the odds of the rescue party not making it is really slim. When you add forts, blast skills, and a full party system to the mix, there are just too many good options for the player.

It's pretty fun for a EO themed MD game, but I'm less impressed by the overall game design and balance as I dig into it more. I guess my initial impression of it being a more casual game was more accurate. :p

Shengar

To get wrecked by normal enemies for a little while lol

One thing folks might not be used to who are unfamiliar with the mystery dungeon genre is the whole stamina (hunger) and things like treasure boxes vanish after X amount of actions.

Treasure boxes will be a blinking blue dot on your minimap so look out for that when you get into a room. Rats can pick these up and throw it at you making the contents / chest worthless when it hits you. There are items which can teleport you to where it is thrown but you need to find those in the dungeon.

Outside of that just read the tips in the OT

1 hour to the game and I almost got wiped mbecause the enemy somehow try to surprise me on a new floor lol
Thank god for Ariadne Thread
Also, why does my Gunner so underlevel while Runemaster seems to level up pretty quick? How EXP work in this game?

Parakeetman

1 hour to the game and I almost got wiped mbecause the enemy somehow try to surprise me on a new floor lol
Thank god for Ariadne Thread
Also, why does my Gunner so underlevel while Runemaster seems to level up pretty quick? How EXP work in this game?

Level reqs are different for the classes it seems. No idea why that is, but apparently its how the game is designed.

Shengar

Level reqs are different for the classes it seems. No idea why that is, but apparently its how the game is designed.

I see. What surprise most is that my team in reserve leveled faster than my Gunner lol
Atlus, pls fix this

Another question, all class is usable right?

omlet

Another question, all class is usable right?

You're going to need to be more specific.

The class called All is usable? No.
All classes from previous EO games usable in EMD? No.
All classes in EMD usable from the start of the game? No.
All classes in EMD usable in your party at the same time? No.
Room in your guild to make at least one of every class in the game? Yes.

spiritfox

I think he means if there any classes he should avoid cause it sucks or is bugged. And the answer is no, all classes are viable.

Shengar

You're going to need to be more specific.

The class called All is usable? No.
All classes from previous EO games usable in EMD? No.
All classes in EMD usable from the start of the game? No.
All classes in EMD usable in your party at the same time? No.
Room in your guild to make at least one of every class in the game? Yes.
no, especially the first one lol
What I mean, is there any useless class or no?
I think he means if there any classes he should avoid cause it sucks or is bugged. And the answer is no, all classes are viable.

That's good to hear then :D

omlet

What I mean, is there any useless class or no?
From my experience so far, not really.

I'm running Paladin / Dancer / Gunner / Hexer (haven't changed my party since making it).

Some are better than others for certain things. For example, Hexer is amazing for packs of enemies, just like in mainline EO games. And just like in mainline EO games, they can't really do much consistent damage to bosses.

omlet

I had to agonize over it for a while, but I think I picked all the bestgirls that I could at the start for my main team.

Am sad about no princess in my party but that just seems kind of redundant with a dancer already there so I formed up a secondary team that my princess can lead to victory when she wants to make an outing (Princess / Ninja / Runemaster / Medic).

I love the Princess but the choice between her and the Dancer was easy for me.

I just feel bad about not using a Wanderer, I will check them out later.

Laconic

Banned
From my experience so far, not really.

I'm running Paladin / Dancer / Gunner / Hexer (haven't changed my party since making it).

Some are better than others for certain things. For example, Hexer is amazing for packs of enemies, just like in mainline EO games. And just like in mainline EO games, they can't really do much consistent damage to bosses.

The only reason we're not running the same team, is I was too lazy to be arsed to switch out my Shark for a Hexer.

...but my tower has a Hexer leveled up to over my main team anyway (absurdly enough).

Hugstable

Banned
Is this game fun? Love EO series but I've never played any of the Pokemon Mystery Dungron games, so I don't really know what to expect.

Laconic

Banned
Is this game fun? Love EO series but I've never played any of the Pokemon Mystery Dungron games, so I don't really know what to expect.

It is fun, in a strangely mindless, yet deliberate way.

I must admit, I've strayed away from it, and back to playing another run of Untold Story-Mode.

Parakeetman

Folks who have not played a mystery dungeon game before seem to be having fun. Plus its not so hardcore as to scare away new players.

Try watching the following below

Etrian Mystery Dungeon: Going Rogue - IGN Plays
Etrian Mystery Dungeon LiveStream #1
Etrian Mystery Dungeon LiveStream #2

Might give you an idea of what to expect gameplay wise.

I wish Sovereign buffs always worked on the Sovereign themselves. My Princess could totally tank if I could guarantee Protect and Guard Order would hit her. For now my Wanderer has become my tank since she is the only one who can take a hit and always be buffed.

Parakeetman

I wish Sovereign buffs always worked on the Sovereign themselves. My Princess could totally tank if I could guarantee Protect and Guard Order would hit her. For now my Wanderer has become my tank since she is the only one who can take a hit and always be buffed.

Its kind of surprising that they did not catch that in the QA process since there is no real explanation why it occurs outside of it being a "bug".

Its kind of surprising that they did not catch that in the QA process since there is no real explanation why it occurs outside of it being a "bug".

One of the many things we'll likely never know. Though they would have either had to be really lucky, or just not test the class at all to miss it. Considering this and the arms glitch, I would think the latter. I want to hope for a patch, but for some reason I doubt one will come.

Parakeetman

So that is a bug? I thought Sovereign being unavlble to buff themselves occasionally is intentional....

Its has to be a bug. As there is no reason why it should work like that. Or anything in the description that says may not work on the casting member. Even in the mainline EO games the skill never did anything like that.

Shengar

Actually I feel very weird too when that happened since my Sovereign can constantly buffed herself with her order spell the first time I used her on expedition. I wonder if Atlus will ever address this alongside the erratic exp gain (my sovereign is the three level ahead of her companion while my very first Landshark lagging behin, wtf)

omlet

I don't think there's anything to fix or address with regards to the exp. Something this obvious is clearly intentional and is probably there as some kind of balance for certain classes.

Parakeetman

I don't think there's anything to fix or address with regards to the exp. Something this obvious is clearly intentional and is probably there as some kind of balance for certain classes.

That and if you want to level a particular character faster running solo is another method mentioned on JP wikis.

The game already gives the player enough help with leveling from the fort system which is basically risk free exp, so the fact the classes have different caps is a non issue and as omlet has said most def seems to be by design.

Avallon

So I've been enjoying this game, but the DS battery life is crap. I just opened my DS to find it dead, costing me 10,000 gold.

:\

Eusis

Folks who have not played a mystery dungeon game before seem to be having fun. Plus its not so hardcore as to scare away new players.
Or at least those who may've been intimidated in the past or don't mind something more leisurely but with some twists and additions to keep it interesting. But yeah, this definitely is easier than the original Shiren aside from a freak incident taking my fresh new team to revisit the first dungeon that resulted in a total party wipe.
So I've been enjoying this game, but the DS battery life is crap. I just opened my DS to find it dead, costing me 10,000 gold.

:\
Don't forget to make use of suspend states!

Glad I had BestBuy credit and a $5 gift credit. Figured it'd be this, Story of Seasons, or Xenoblade, and I didn't really need to go through Xenoblade again right now and I figured I'd want something a bit more actiony than Story of Seasons. Plus this had those physical goodies I'd care about.

Shengar

Exploring through the 4th new dungeon up to the last floor before the boss in the first try is intense as hell
N7D3ZJI.png

My Runemaster burn through 4 Yggdrasil Leaf in one encounter, wtf

Parakeetman

Exploring through the 4th new dungeon up to the last floor before the boss in the first try is intense as hell
N7D3ZJI.png

My Runemaster burn through 4 Yggdrasil Leaf in one encounter, wtf

lol yeah that can happen. Its why I try to not carry too many of those.

omlet

Oh my goodness I just beat the 4th dungeon boss (first try but it was a close call!) and the event after is just too perfect lol.
Where you find the EO1 deer FOE encased in amber and they call it an ancient species and suddenly "DOE" becomes even more hilarious.

Parakeetman

Oh my goodness I just beat the 4th dungeon boss (first try but it was a close call!) and the event after is just too perfect lol.
Where you find the EO1 deer FOE encased in amber and they call it an ancient species and suddenly "DOE" becomes even more hilarious.

The battle was hilarious for me
as it just consisted of the princess constantly putting up the 1 time protection against status effects while the boss constantly tried to keep casting them over and over lol.
Took forever though as the cursemaker was fairly worthless in that fight which I had with me due to fighting through all the other stuff before the boss room.

omlet

The battle was hilarious for me
as it just consisted of the princess constantly putting up the 1 time protection against status effects while the boss constantly tried to keep casting them over and over lol.
Took forever though as the cursemaker was fairly worthless in that fight which I had with me due to fighting through all the other stuff before the boss room.

I got off to a bad start and burned a few Ygg Leaf but once I repositioned my party (Paladin/Dancer/Hexer/Gunner)
to avoid his AOE spam (leaving only my Paladin in melee range, dancer behind her to heal/refresh
) I whittled him down and won.

My hexer was MVP on damage in that fight, just spammed Power Word lol... my gunner was missing 50% of her shots orz.

Parakeetman

I got off to a bad start and burned a few Ygg Leaf but once I repositioned my party (Paladin/Dancer/Hexer/Gunner)
to avoid his AOE spam (leaving only my Paladin in melee range, dancer behind her to heal/refresh
) I whittled him down and won.

My hexer was MVP on damage in that fight, just spammed Power Word lol... my gunner was missing 50% of her shots orz.

Or TP supply was pretty low due to the
constant DOE fights before hand. Since I was an idiot and didnt totally clear them out first before charging the boss. Used up a bunch of those expensive TP recovery items though, the cheaper ones were worthless considering how much TP we burn through. D:

omlet

I had an alt party intercept at the tower around halfway down the dungeon so I never engaged with my main party. (They won, too, and it was a party I had never actually fielded so I wasn't sure how they'd do lol.)

Parakeetman

I had an alt party intercept at the tower around halfway down the dungeon so I never engaged with my main party. (They won, too, and it was a party I had never actually fielded so I wasn't sure how they'd do lol.)

Id keep dragging them back to the alt parties so we all could get exp. lol

Its hilarious watching them warp away into the sky with their EXP numbers. But man talk about too many chefs in the kitchen with fights like that D: Everyone getting in the way of someone else :D

Btw did you ever trying hanging out on a single floor for a long period of time? I could be imagining things, but I heard a weird noise and with how some other games like either an unkillable or super hard monster appears figured that was some sort of trigger so I skipped to the next floor instead of hanging around to see what happens.

Zweizer

Banned
Btw did you ever trying hanging out on a single floor for a long period of time? I could be imagining things, but I heard a weird noise and with how some other games like either an unkillable or super hard monster appears figured that was some sort of trigger so I skipped to the next floor instead of hanging around to see what happens.

If it's the same as previous Mystery Dungeon games, every time you hang around a floor for too long it kicks you out of the dungeon. Not sure what you lose in this game if it happens though (since I don't have it, yet).

Top Bottom