• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Which FOE did you shiny-ize?

The Furyhorn. He's in one of the other dungeons you can't enter in the demo.

photo10_zpsf8e12d23.jpg

Don't mind the names. I usually have a hard time naming characters so I just gave them their class names, lol

Bento

This, Fire Emblem and the imminent release of Soul Hackers finally made me jump the gun and import a 3DS from the US. However, I need to buy a point card to be able to purchase Eo4 from the e-shop, does anyone know if I can the use the American point cards with a 3DS imported from VG+ (Canadian store) or if I need to buy a Canadian point card? Not really sure how the account system for NA works.

Anteo

This, Fire Emblem and the imminent release of Soul Hackers finally made me jump the gun and import a 3DS from the US. However, I need to buy a point card to be able to purchase Eo4 from the e-shop, does anyone know if I can the use the American point cards with a 3DS imported from VG+ (Canadian store) or if I need to buy a Canadian point card? Not really sure how the account system for NA works.

I cant help you with that sorry, but why dont you use a credit card? Afaik you can use a credit card in the Canda, Brazilian or Mexican Store, the US store is the only one that locks non US cards (I use the Canada one and I'm not fromUSA nor Canada)

Bento

I cant help you with that sorry, but why dont you use a credit card? Afaik you can use a credit card in the Canda, Brazilian or Mexican Store, the US store is the only one that locks non US cards (I use the Canada one and I'm not fromUSA nor Canada)
Oh wow, I had no idea that was even an option, I assumed the Canadian accounts would have the same restrictions as the American one. I'll check it out once my 3DS arrives :eek:)

I have a feeling this is going to be the most successful game in the franchise.
The demo has allowed people to get a taste beforehand, and I think that could really introduce it to a whole new audience. It certainly seems like people have reacted favorably to it.

spiritfox

Oh wow, I had no idea that was even an option, I assumed the Canadian accounts would have the same restrictions as the American one. I'll check it out once my 3DS arrives :eek:)

That's what I do too. It works, you just have to pay the extra sales tax.

How does the Dancer fare in battle? I've never used the class before.

I've been playing the game for review this weekend and that class seems to fare pretty well as long as you have the other class (newb to the franchise so the class name eludes me at the moment) that can direct attacks towards them.

The regen/attack up abilities are pretty nice.

Midou

The demo has allowed people to get a taste beforehand, and I think that could really introduce it to a whole new audience. It certainly seems like people have reacted favorably to it.

Having played like an hour of the first game, I was not planning to buy it until I played the demo, it all feels a lot better than my past experience. Now I have it pre-ordered. :p

zashga

Just tried out the demo, this game does absolutely nothing for me. Am I missing the appeal?

It's definitely a niche genre; probably most people wouldn't like it. I think all of the other EO games only sold around 100k in the States, but it's a stable base. People who like it, love it.

Talaysen

Played through the demo earlier today. Gotta catch up some of the other classes since I want to ditch the Runemaster. Not really impressed with them.

Eusis

It's definitely a niche genre; probably most people wouldn't like it. I think all of the other EO games only sold around 100k in the States, but it's a stable base. People who like it, love it.
That actually sounds ridiculously good for this kind of series, unless you mean cumulative. Which... eh, probably does well enough given there isn't AS much translation work or any dubbing to do.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

I'd never played the game until I played this demo. I put ten hours into the demo. Apparently this series is for me! I'd heard about it of course, but the only things I knew about it were dungeon-crawling and cute looking characters. If I had known map-making was such a large part of it, and that it was so detailed, I would have gotten into it before. Love maps.

What I mean to say is, the demo definitely worked for me. Doesn't seemed to have worked for any of my other friends though.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Wow, the overworld structure really adds so much to this game. I unlocked the first major airship upgrade this morning and it inspired me to go back to previously conquered areas to explore, which in turn made me realize I had lots yet to explore and another layer of content that remains beyond my reach.

Zornica

Banned
I've only played Etrian Odyssey 1 so far. I already own 2 and 3, but I never played them. Any reason why I shouldn't jump straight to 4? (and come back later)
Would I miss something? (storywise maybe?)

Alex

Dungeon crawls of any vibe of variant aren't all that niche, but forty dollar ones on a handheld sure as heck are going to struggle a bit more, especially with some of the drawbacks of a big chunk the JRPG fanbase in the West regarding anything mechanical and bereft of exposition.

I've only played Etrian Odyssey 1 so far. I already own 2 and 3, but I never played them. Any reason why I shouldn't jump straight to 4? (and come back later)
Would I miss something? (storywise maybe?)

No, the narrative is light context and breadcrumbs. Just jump to IV unless you feel swept up in things and really, really want to make that dedication.

How does the Dancer fare in battle? I've never used the class before.

I'm loving the Dancer.

For now, I don't see a reason to carry a Medic because of her.

Her Regen Waltz heals (a bit) everyone in the same line as her for 3 turns. (and if I need more healing, I'll use a Medica or switch rows to heal people in the back)
Her Attack Tango increases the attack of everyone in the same line for 3 turns.
Her Guard Tango increases the defense of everyone in the same line for 3 turns.

Those are the 3 skills I currently use. I also put 1 point into her Proficiency skill which lengthens each dance by 1 turn.

With a Fortress and Landsk in the front with her, I haven't had much trouble so far. The 2 people in the back row (Runemaster and Sniper) do fine as well.

If I decide to change anyone in my party later on, it'll probably be the Sniper.

Bururian

I'm loving the Dancer.

For now, I don't see a reason to carry a Medic because of her.

Her Regen Waltz heals (a bit) everyone in the same line as her for 3 turns. (and if I need more healing, I'll use a Medica or switch rows to heal people in the back)
Her Attack Tango increases the attack of everyone in the same line for 3 turns.
Her Guard Tango increases the defense of everyone in the same line for 3 turns.

Those are the 3 skills I currently use. I also put 1 point into her Proficiency skill which lengthens each dance by 1 turn.

With a Fortress and Landsk in the front with her, I haven't had much trouble so far. The 2 people in the back row (Runemaster and Sniper) do fine as well.

If I decide to change anyone in my party later on, it'll probably be the Sniper.

You're making me want to bank my Medic for a Dancer. My front row is a landsk, fortress and sniper, back row medic and Rune Master. May swap the medic out for a dancer and move my sniper to the back row or replace him myself, he's not being very useful to my current setup

OceanBlue

You're making me want to bank my Medic for a Dancer. My front row is a landsk, fortress and sniper, back row medic and Rune Master. May swap the medic out for a dancer and move my sniper to the back row or replace him myself, he's not being very useful to my current setup

The lane heal at the end of a turn was definitely useful for me in the demo. I'm not very skilled at the game, but it certainly helped me save healing items. My medic isn't that fast, so against FOEs, I don't have to preemptively guess which character the FOE will attack. I can be confident that even if the FOE takes out 2/3 of my character's life, the dance will heal enough that I can survive another hit and heal with my medic.

Saprol

I liked having the Medic's post-battle heal for grind/adventuring. Otherwise I could see just subclassing more Dancers or Medics later for more support.

While I'll be buying it within a week or two of launch to support Atlus and handhelds, I still haven't gotten around to playing Etrian Odyssey III. Should I do that before starting this or would it still be worthwhile after completing IV?

I liked having the Medic's post-battle heal for grind/adventuring. Otherwise I could see just subclassing more Dancers or Medics later for more support.

Yeah, they're a staple of mine unless I'm doing something crazy and inane for a boss via Shoguns or Hexers.

Avoiding the R on the frontline team in this one, to see how a spread-thin elemental task set up will work. They ran out of steam by Stratum 5 in each game anyways.

Bilix

I don't even own a 3DS but I'm getting this game day 1!

Please release a new XL color in NA Nintendo!

vall03

I beat my first Shiny FOE, as my team is 100xp away from the level 10 cap of the demo. At least I beat a shiny!

man, this reminds me, I almost beat a shiny Kangaroo last week. It only had 10% health until it used its row attack and wiped out my front row.

Man this can not come out on the eShop soon enough :/ Really want to get my hands on this ASAP. Although still need to finish off Fire Emblem before I get into, but I really can't wait to download it and have it there to be played one day :D

I can see myself eventually leveling up a Medic just to have it (especially for post game) but I don't think I'll be using it in my main party at time soon.

As for the Sniper, I'm keeping him around cause I like trying for the arm binding and for critical hits. He isn't anything special though...so far.

Oh that's a brilliant idea, I went to arrange my party and forgot who was what looking at the list of names.

This is another reason why I named them the way I did, lol. Just to make it easier for myself.

I beat my first Shiny FOE, as my team is 100xp away from the level 10 cap of the demo. At least I beat a shiny!

Congrats! Feels great, doesn't it? :p

I was reading a thread on gamefaqs where people posted up some QR codes from the demo version. With those codes, you can attach treasure maps that the other person will get. I decided to go and scan those and I received about 5 different treasure maps. So I'm going to check those locations (if possible) and see what I get.

I also wanted to see how this whole sharing QR codes works so I generated mine:

So with my QR code, you'll get a level 15 Dancer with the "Deep Waters" treasure map. In order to use my Dancer, you'll need to have at least 1 character at level 15. I just threw this out there to test it out. You can just save the treasure map and delete the character, lol. The treasure map is for a location later on in the game....boooooo, lol.

There's quite a few treasure maps to collect. I'll probably be updating/posting my guild card every few days/every week. Looking forward to seeing everyone post theirs as well!

What's sad is that I have Fire Emblem as well but it won't be seeing any playtime for a few weeks. EOIV was the reason I bought a 3DS...and it does not disappoint.

Esura

Banned
So what classes would a balanced team consist of? I want to have all my bases covered so I don't get overwhelmed in dungeons.

So what classes would a balanced team consist of? I want to have all my bases covered so I don't get overwhelmed in dungeons.

the only class you "kinda need" is a fortress, and even without her/him you'd be fine.

I'm playing with

L/F/D
R/S

but I'm not sure if I want to keep the Sniper, I might change her for a Nightseeker

Esura

Banned
the only class you "kinda need" is a fortress, and even without her/him you'd be fine.

I'm playing with

L/F/D
R/S

but I'm not sure if I want to keep the Sniper, I might change her for a Nightseeker

I like the idea of using a Landsknecht, Medic, and Fortress. Also a Dancer cause they seem like a buffing class.

So the Runes people are like a Black Mage right? And Snipers are like Thieves?

I like the idea of using a Landsknecht, Medic, and Fortress. Also a Dancer cause they seem like a buffing class.

the Dancer is my favorite new class, I'm using her as a pure healer right now, but I'm sure she'll become a monster with her "chases" and her amazing buffs. She will make wonders with the Landsknecht

Edit: I'm finding the role of the Medic not needed, I'll just use items and the Dancer... I got my Runemaster a wand that can Heal which has helped me out.

Alex

I don't even own a 3DS but I'm getting this game day 1!

Please release a new XL color in NA Nintendo!

I have blue, and I like it, but I would probably double dip if they ever did tones like the DSi XL. Especially Burgundy or Bronze.

Esura

Banned
the Dancer is my favorite new class, I'm using her as a pure healer right now, but I'm sure she'll become a monster with her "chases" and her amazing buffs. She will make wonders with the Landsknecht

Edit: I'm finding the role of the Medic not needed, I'll just use items and the Dancer... I got my Runemaster a wand that can Heal which has helped me out.
Dancer is new? And they can heal?

jackal27

Banned
Ok, this is weird. I played through the demo and I still can't seem to get into these games. This is the strange part though, I LOVE first-person dungeon crawlers!

I love SMT: Strange Journey, Picdun 2, Legend of Grimrock, Arcana, Phantasy Star 1, all kinds of stuff! Am I missing something?

I didn't hate this game, but something isn't clicking. What do I do??

Koroviev

Ok, this is weird. I played through the demo and I still can't seem to get into these games. This is the strange part though, I LOVE first-person dungeon crawlers!

I love SMT: Strange Journey, Picdun 2, Legend of Grimrock, Arcana, Phantasy Star 1, all kinds of stuff! Am I missing something?

Lobotomize. It's the only way.

Dancer is new? And they can heal?

Dancer wasn't in EO3 and that's the one I played, I'm sure there was a dancer/bard class in EO1 or 2. (Edit: there was a class called Troubadour before, the Dancer is new)

the dancer can heal, she has a move in which she dances for 3-4 turns and every end of turn the line she's on is healed a bit. If I need to heal more I just use items

the game becomes fun as hell when you've invested time in your team and you're defeating difficult bosses with strategies you came up with.

Edit: Double Post sorry

vareon

I can see myself eventually leveling up a Medic just to have it (especially for post game) but I don't think I'll be using it in my main party at time soon.

As for the Sniper, I'm keeping him around cause I like trying for the arm binding and for critical hits. He isn't anything special though...so far.

This is another reason why I named them the way I did, lol. Just to make it easier for myself.

Congrats! Feels great, doesn't it? :p

I was reading a thread on gamefaqs where people posted up some QR codes from the demo version. With those codes, you can attach treasure maps that the other person will get. I decided to go and scan those and I received about 5 different treasure maps. So I'm going to check those locations (if possible) and see what I get.

I also wanted to see how this whole sharing QR codes works so I generated mine:

So with my QR code, you'll get a level 15 Dancer with the "Deep Waters" treasure map. In order to use my Dancer, you'll need to have at least 1 character at level 15. I just threw this out there to test it out. You can just save the treasure map and delete the character, lol. The treasure map is for a location later on in the game....boooooo, lol.

There's quite a few treasure maps to collect. I'll probably be updating/posting my guild card every few days/every week. Looking forward to seeing everyone post theirs as well!

What's sad is that I have Fire Emblem as well but it won't be seeing any playtime for a few weeks. EOIV was the reason I bought a 3DS...and it does not disappoint.

Wait, you can SHARE party member via QR code?

jackal27

Banned
the game becomes fun as hell when you've invested time in your team and you're defeating difficult bosses with strategies you came up with.

Edit: Double Post sorry

Yeah. Maybe I will pick it up. I'll probably wait for some more GAF and Twitter impressions before jumping on the wagon. Maybe casual mode will be more to my liking.

I was pretty disappointed in the 3D in this game too.

OceanBlue

Yeah. Maybe I will pick it up. I'll probably wait for some more GAF and Twitter impressions before jumping on the wagon. Maybe casual mode will be more to my liking.

I was pretty disappointed in the 3D in this game too.

Keep in mind that the visuals and audio were compressed for the demo, according to the game manual. They'll be better for the actual release.

Playing Casual mode kills one of the best parts of the game, the tension you get when you've been fighting through several FOE's and you don't know if you'll make it to the town(which is silly because you can always have a rope to get out)

it's amazing, but I'm glad there's an option for players that want it

Top Bottom