• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Bururian

Playing Casual mode kills one of the best parts of the game, the tension you get when you've been fighting through several FOE's and you don't know if you'll make it to the town(which is silly because you can always have a rope to get out)

it's amazing,

Time constraint, that's my only excuse. I'll get to play the game a day or two during the week, possibly, I'd like to maximize my playtime. Casual does just that for me.

I just finished all the quests in the demo and reached the point where the game told me I couldn't advance any farther (my characters just reached level 7 right after that when I turned in the Angry Babboon quest). I'm definitely enjoying the game, it's like a blast from the past, reminds me of the old Might and Magic games, though I get the feeling there will be less story in this game. Now I have to wait a whole day before I can play it again (I don't want to over-level my characters by continuing the demo until they hit level 10).

It is kinda weird how it uses 3D, though - even though the enemies are 3D models, they aren't using stereoscopic 3D, each enemy is a flat plane in 3D space. Which seems to be how the game is setup, everything's a flat plane in 3D space.

Finished with the demo, clocked nearly 10 hours.
285H7

I managed to defeat the Kangarro's twice without using the Ebony Carrot, it was quite the accomplishment considering my Sniper could NEVER Bind the arms of the damn Kangarro's... and I have that skill maxed out already

vall03

Finished with the demo, clocked nearly 10 hours.

I managed to defeat the Kangarro's twice without using the Ebony Carrot, it was quite the accomplishment considering my Sniper could NEVER Bind the arms of the damn Kangarro's... and I have that skill maxed already

am I the only one here who spent 15+ hours on the demo? been trying various skill builds and party set-ups.

Anyway, I dropped the Sniper in my party because even at max level it just can't seem to bind any FOE. It felt like a wasted character slot. It might be different though in higher levels and access to Arcanist and sub-classes.

am I the only one here who spent 15+ hours on the demo? been trying various skill builds and party set-ups.

Anyway, I dropped the Sniper in my party because even at max level it just can't seem to bind any FOE. It felt like a wasted character slot. It might be different though in higher levels and access to Arcanist and sub-classes.

I'm PREETTTYYY sure that unless she becomes better, she's the first to get kicked out of my team. I'm even considering making a second RuneMaster or whatever, I'm 10 hours in and there's not much I can do anymore aside of mess around with some builds.

vall03

I'm PREETTTYYY sure that unless she becomes better, she's the first to get kicked out of my team. I'm even considering making a second RuneMaster or whatever, I'm 10 hours in and there's not much I can do anymore aside of mess around with some builds.

I have to be honest here. Im currently not impressed with the Sniper. They're kinda useless if the enemy is not bound and damage is not even that good. They have this one possible strong skill, but it seems that its very unreliable due to low accuracy. But then again, I still haven't thought of any possible sub-class for it. Right now, I have a general idea on my possible party in the future and the Sniper is not included, not even as a sub-class. But still, would love to see people who played the JP version give a bit of insight on possible builds for each class.

I have to be honest here. Im currently not impressed with the Sniper. They're kinda useless if the enemy is not bound and damage is not even that good. They have this one possible strong skill, but it seems that its very unreliable due to low accuracy. But then again, I still haven't thought of any possible sub-class for it. Right now, I have a general idea on my possible party in the future and the Sniper is not included, not even as a sub-class. But still, would love to see people who played the JP version give a bit of insight on possible builds for each class.

I'll probably keep the Sniper till the Arcanist gets unlocked, I love the idea of a debuff class. I was wondering if the damage wasn't good because the bows in the demo are crap or is she always going to do shit damage?

BearChair

I have a theory about the Sniper. I think Atlus might have weakened the Sniper's bind accuracy in the demo to keep players from going too far.

Think about it, if the class' binds worked as often as it seems like it should, then players would easily be able to take out the FOEs. Also, at least in my game, it seemed much easier to bind regular enemies compared to FOEs.

I do not have any evidence to prove this, though. Other than that Atlus said that the full game would have some improvements over the demo.

tuffy

Sub classes? So I don't have to have a character stuck in one role?

Like EOIII, at some point in the game you'll get the ability to add a subclass to your characters. This gives you another tree full of skills you can add, except for the main-class-specific line. For instance, you could have a medic with a bonus to all healing skills subclassed as a dancer and have that bonus applied to its regeneration dance.

spiritfox

I have a theory about the Sniper. I think Atlus might have weakened the Sniper's bind accuracy in the demo to keep players from going too far.

Think about it, if the class' binds worked as often as it seems like it should, then players would easily be able to take out the FOEs. Also, at least in my game, it seemed much easier to bind regular enemies compared to FOEs.

I do not have any evidence to prove this, though. Other than that Atlus said that the full game would have some improvements over the demo.

FOEs (and bosses) always had a much higher resistance against binds and statuses, even in the older games. Unless they changed it, binds are not a good way to deal with bosses.

cjkeats

Anyone work at EB or know if stores in Cananda have stock yet? We are constantly late getting Atlus games, especially the 3DS ones. Code of Princess was over a week late here.

jackal27

Banned
I forgot to add something. Some of the art in this game really grosses me out... The pre-pubescent looking girls especially. Well, that and an entire class that is supposed to look anorexic. As someone who has counseled teens with eating disorders, I really didn't enjoy that.

Fred-87

Always wanted to try this series. I wonder, is the story an important part of the game or not at all? I would like a good (or at least acceptable) story to motivate me through the dungeons.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Always wanted to try this series. I wonder, is the story an important part of the game or not at all? I would like a good (or at least acceptable) story to motivate me through the dungeons.
There is usually a thin story to provide motivation but its barely more than, "There is something to find/kill deep in the dungeon. You should go do that." Where the thing to find/kill changes based on story every 4-5 floors.

khaaan

I got around to playing the demo and I have to say I'm really digging it. A few questions though:

1) In games that let you create a party of no-name archetypes I usually create one party and stick with that. The demo allows you to keep up to 30 characters in your Guild but I'm perfectly happy with 5 (and maybe a few more as backup). Is this play-style feasible?

2) I only finished up the first intro quest in the demo and I noticed there was no way to save or suspend my game. Is this how the rest of the game is? Do I have to trek it all the way back to town to save at the Inn?

3) Is it worth my time to play through any or all of the prior games?

I finally downloaded the demo but I won't be able to play it now =/ btw how is the 3D effect in this game?

3D effect looks really nice but I only turn it on when I come across a new enemy or environment and then turn it off after a few minutes.

ys45

I played the demo on Normal and i did not find it that hard compared to 1st one.

Do you get more exp on casual or is it just the monster stats that are lower ?
I know you don't get a Game Over on Casual but thats it

spiritfox

I got around to playing the demo and I have to say I'm really digging it. A few questions though:

1) In games that let you create a party of no-name archetypes I usually create one party and stick with that. The demo allows you to keep up to 30 characters in your Guild but I'm perfectly happy with 5 (and maybe a few more as backup). Is this play-style feasible?

2) I only finished up the first intro quest in the demo and I noticed there was no way to save or suspend my game. Is this how the rest of the game is? Do I have to trek it all the way back to town to save at the Inn?

3) Is it worth my time to play through any or all of the prior games?

3D effect looks really nice but I only turn it on when I come across a new enemy or environment and then turn it off after a few minutes.

1) You only need your 5. The rest of your slots are for experimentation.

2) You can only save at the inn or the geomagnetic pole. There should be a suspend feature in the actual game.

3) There is no story links so unless you really want to experience the games, it's not needed. If you want to, I recommend 3 cause it has a lot of interface improvements over the first 2 games. 1 has the best 5th dungeon though.

Varshes

Anyone work at EB or know if stores in Cananda have stock yet? We are constantly late getting Atlus games, especially the 3DS ones. Code of Princess was over a week late here.

Got a call from EB yesterday that it would be available Tuesday, so I would assume so.

I thought that the demo was amazing. Preordered last week but probably won't receive it until the end of the week (can't pass up the extra for the eShop version).

Also the normal battle theme is one of the best I've heard in a long time.

vareon

About this, my party of five always consists of people with general purposes with no strength or weakness. The downside of this is battles might take longer than a specialized party.

It is kinda weird how it uses 3D, though - even though the enemies are 3D models, they aren't using stereoscopic 3D, each enemy is a flat plane in 3D space. Which seems to be how the game is setup, everything's a flat plane in 3D space.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice this. After playing other 3ds games it's so obvious that the 3d in this game is shit.

khaaan

About this, my party of five always consists of people with general purposes with no strength or weakness. The downside of this is battles might take longer than a specialized party.
Yeah...It's not ideal but unfortunately I don't have the patience to keep multiple teams leveled and equipped.

spiritfox

Yeah...It's not ideal but unfortunately I don't have the patience to keep multiple teams leveled and equipped.

Well... If you build your main party well you shouldn't have trouble through most of the game. Subclassing and the removal of farming parties should also help a lot in this.

But the post-game though, that's a different story...

vareon

Volcynika, is that you retweeted by Kamiya? Happy birthday, dude!

Well if you keep using them your level should be enough to tackle most bosses, if you bring enough resources. And even if your party turns out crap, resetting the skills only cost two levels now.

epmode

Looks like I pre-ordered this game with a credit card that has since changed account numbers so my payment was declined. I entered a new card and the delivery date is now Thursday instead of tomorrow. Oh well.

tuffy

Anyone else struggling with this? This beastly game drops tomorrow...and I still haven't played through Fire Emblem...

I'm down to chapter 25 and the end, which get finished tonight by any means necessary.

My demo already has an auto-pilot path to that staircase on the map so I'll be ready to resume exploring once the full copy arrives from Amazon tomorrow.

Roubjon

Woah, I had no idea the game came out tomorrow. Jeez, I still haven't even started Fire Emblem. I wouldn't be surprised if I played this first either.

Velcro Fly

Have this preordered from GameStop so I should be able to get mine tomorrow! Was very impressed with the demo and preordered based on that. This will be my first EO game and I must say I'm looking forward to it. Going to be restarting my game from scratch once I get the full game though because I picked awful names for my party on the demo. Also have FE but I'm about halfway through the game and probably won't be buying much more DLC. Probably just going to play a couple chapters today and platoon between FE and EO until FE is finished. They really are two different types of games so I'm not concerned about playing them both at the same time.

JudgeN

Not having a 3DS I can't play the demo, how do the classes feel compared to EO3? I'm worried that the class will feel similar.

tuffy

Going to be restarting my game from scratch once I get the full game though because I picked awful names for my party on the demo.
I could've sworn there was a rename feature in the character management options in the guild, though I didn't try it to see if it costs anything.

scy

I could've sworn there was a rename feature in the character management options in the guild, though I didn't try it to see if it costs anything.

I believe the renaming feature is still in but the 1000 price was removed. It should be free now.

ys45

Anyone else struggling with this? This beastly game drops tomorrow...and I still haven't played through Fire Emblem...

Yeah same here, Im 24h or something into FE:Awakening (Chapter 16) i spent so much time building my character relationship and class , guess il have to start doing some chapters :p

Im also playing ni No Kuni (23h) but i don't mind, il start EOIV when im done with FE.

Anteo

Playing the demo I was thingking: "How weird, this game doesn't have a powerfull first floor enemy!, maybe it's to make it easier for newcomers."

An Angry Babbon later: "Oh hello there EO".

Top Bottom