• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Parliament ponders plan to let Indiviual Brits opt-in to keep their EU citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I was born in a world where even I was not British I could live there as one. You took that away from me and the rest of EU citizens, now you want the rest of us to treat you better that how you treat us.
Yeah that's not fair at all.

Why are you arguing in favour of restricting benefits from others when your anger would be better channelled arguing in favour of gaining similar benefits? Saying "You" did this when it's clearly evident the people you are talking to did not vote in favour of Brexit comes across as very spiteful.

I was born in a world where even I was not British I could live there as one. You took that away from me and the rest of EU citizens, now you want the rest of us to treat you better that how you treat us.

The people who should logically be pro- this idea are also likely for the free movement of EU nationals to the UK. We don't want better treatment, ideally, I'd want this treatment for everyone.

Its worth noting that as this is intended to be 'associate membership', if the idea were to pass it would likely lack some particular benefits, or have some requirements attached. At the very least, access to the single market would be out because that's an economic rather than individual thing.

If it were to pass, I'd definitely pick it up. I was born a citizen of the EU and wish to remain such.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Why are you arguing in favour of restricting benefits from others when your anger would be better channelled arguing in favour of gaining similar benefits? Saying "You" did this when it's clearly evident the people you are talking to did not vote in favour of Brexit comes across as very spiteful.
He's just angry. The whole brexit thing had been a disgrace in term of how EU citizens were treated. It's wrong for him to generalise, but it's a natural anger that not out of the ordinary.

I'd say to him:
Don't worry there are plenty of us EU folk who will never let something like this happen unless EU citizens get the same rights.

It isn't gonna happen anyway.

If UK citizens want free movement within the EU they need to fight for the four freedoms of the EU.
Such one-sided benefits wouldn't be accepted by the people within the EU.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
There would basically have to be two major clauses to this:
1. If you voted leave, you should be disqualified automatically.
2. EU citizens get the same opt in choice.

Neither of which are achievable.

Alienfan

There would basically have to be two major clauses to this:
1. If you voted leave, you should be disqualified automatically.
2. EU citizens get the same opt in choice.

Neither of which are achievable.

I could see the second one being achievable over time with a different government. Can't imagine "British people being allowed to live in the EU and not the other way round" would remain that way forever

I cannot see most member states ever agreeing to this, most used to criticise the special treatment the UK got in the EU to begin with.

7aged

I'd sign up, if it ever comes to pass.

But even if does, I think it is spin to label it as "citizenship". I envisage it would be in practice something like a special visa for ex-EU members that entitles them to the rights they enjoyed before within the EU (movement/work...).
They'd probably make it reassuringly expensive as well, as the Stella ad used to say.

Northern Irish people already get a choice between British and Irish passports which will effectively become a similar situation in the future (British or EU).

VegiHam

Tregard basically beat me to my answer here:

I didn't do this man. We're on the same side here. And I'm totally in favour of retaining access to Britain for EU citizens. I don't want special treatment.

Jackpot

Banned
"17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole [60 million] will get Brexit [even though this offer is a free opt-in choice]”

Do these people even hear themselves?

Auctopus

I like how Americans on GAF can say "The UK voted for it to be this way. You should all deal with it." but if a non-American was to say "You voted for Trump to be President. You should be happy with this." we'd probably get banned.

I'd love this opt-in to pass. Give the remainers an out of this mess.

I'd love the EU to go soft on the public, but take a hard stance while discussing economy.

Xun

I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said.

Seems she knows her side doesn't have anything to offer that can compete with what the EU has to offer.
She speaks as if the UK wasn't already divided because of Brexit.

I also find it hilarious how they even note there's added benefits of having citizenship.

What a fucking bunch of cunts.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Having benefits isn't the same as having laws right? Plus, I bet having EU-citizenship comes with a certain price. I don't believe an opt-in would be completely free.

And what would you get for that fee that a British passport and a visa (or whatever) wouldn't get?

I'd be tempted, if only for the symbolism.

hodgy100

I'd happily pay a yearly contribution for this.

How much did the UKs eu contribution cost per person?

Even using the inflated £350m a week number that works out to £280 a year per person. I'd pay more than that.

azyless

I like how Americans on GAF can say "The UK voted for it to be this way. You should all deal with it." but if a non-American was to say "You voted for Trump to be President. You should be happy with this." we'd probably get banned.
You changed the wording of the second part for a reason. No one's saying you should be happy about it but unfortunately that's the way it is.
I'm french btw not american, and I can't see many french people agreeing with this as it is explained in the OP (as in : special treatment for UK citizens without the same courtesy being offered by the UK to european citizens). The Front National would probably be delighted about it though !

I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

She speaks as if the UK wasn't already divided because of Brexit.

I also find it hilarious how they even note there's added benefits of having citizenship.

What a fucking bunch of cunts.

The sentiment is made very clear, so good on Adye for the clarification.

Does that group already have a slogan? I'm thinking "Stength through unity. Unity through faith."

The people who said that were assholes then, just like the (sadly not actually) hypothetical people you mention.

I didn't believe a bad decision that affects people on a national scale should be instated because a contingent of misinformed and/or hateful people happened to vote for it. I still don't believe that.

Violet_0

Banned
This cannot work.

Cannot have two people in the same country living by different laws.

the UK (post-Brexit) wouldn't have any say in that matter, no? Whether the EU accepts the dual-citizenship of a Birtish national or not is not of their concern anymore, I'd think

jelly

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.

LOL.

How funny would it be if the numbers that joined was more than the leave vote.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds like a really smart way to circumvent some ridiculous situations of British people in the EU. Especially since it looks like Brexit might drag on for a while and the uncertainty is terrible for personal lives. I'm all for it.

Ganondolf

I'd happily pay a yearly contribution for this.

How much did the UKs eu contribution cost per person?

Even using the inflated £350m a week number that works out to £280 a year per person. I'd pay more than that.

I calculate it to be about £213 per person in 2016 if you reduce the overall figure by the rebate and money that comes back to the uk.

hodgy100

I calculate it to be about £213 per person in 2016 if you reduce the overall figure by the rebate and money that comes back to the uk.

Well I'd assume the eu would use the opportunity to scrape a bit more money out of the people applying for this as there is a load of admin work involved. Plus let's assume 60% of people would sign up to this the eu would also be earning less from the uk so the price might be higher to cover that loss.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yea. I don't think this is a solution at all without EU citizens having the same rights.
I'd be royally pissed off if a leave voter got the right of freedom of movement while an EU citizen is denied the same right.

Simple solution : don't go live in the anti-EU UK.

Blame the stupid UK government.

PJV3

I said ages ago that I would like something along these lines, I'd pay a small fee for what would be mostly a symbolic gesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom