• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

did you check in the appData\local folder yet. In some paradox game thing tend to end up there like in CK2(messegesetting) or EU3(savegame)

EU4 bought some days ago; I come from a EU2&3 background, never played CK2, the differences in the interface throwed me off at first but I'm beginning to think I have a grasp of the game and damn, it seems way more hard to game the AI in this one : I still haven't succeded into vassalize anyone in it, let alone diplo-annexing. Playing mainly Burgundy (= easy mode in EU3) for the time being, with Quality as my first set of ideas - I like how ideas are implemented in this game, and the "personnalized" set of ideas of each nations : it provides for a modicum of historicity on how each nations were differents from each nations while allowing for a lot of customization.

I've tried the byzantine campaign but the game keeps on kicking my ass : getting Athens to join the glorious empire is easy, but then the ottomans keeps on smashing me instead of going after the mameluks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Burgundy in EU4 is much harder because EU4's France is psychotically insane and it takes coalitions of the entire rest of the continent to keep it down.

ZZMitch

Burgundy in EU4 is much harder because EU4's France is psychotically insane and it takes coalitions of the entire rest of the continent to keep it down.

I have yet to see this. In both of my games France has gotten dominated by Spain, England and Burgundy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I have yet to see this. In both of my games France has gotten dominated by Spain, England and Burgundy.

Are you playing Ironman? With Ironman, Lucky Nations is turned on with no way of turning off, which means France rolls nothing worse than a 5/5/5 leader every single team and thus is basically unstoppable. Without Ironman and with Lucky Nations turned off, they're much less scary, yeah.

Ailike

Who ever even turns lucky nations off? :/

But yeah, I've seen France falter quite a few times. It usually occurs because they don't integrate fast enough and they get chipped away at by Brittany and Aragon in the first century.

+Aliken+

Having great fun with EUIV.
I have always wanted to get into the other EU but everytimt I tried I was overwhelmed.

I finally managed to get into CK2 and moving from to EUIV was pretty straight forward.

I love how the game plays so differently depending on the nation you play with.
I have started as Tuscany and aim to unify Italy.

I have a question regarding the HRE.
I have recently conquered Siena, which like me is part of the HRE and I did get a warning from the to free Siena. I obviously ignored them and am sure this means something... Or does it?

And if it does how can I smooth things over.

xenist

Who ever even turns lucky nations off? :/

But yeah, I've seen France falter quite a few times. It usually occurs because they don't integrate fast enough and they get chipped away at by Brittany and Aragon in the first century.

France is more difficult to play than it would appear. At first you're all, big country, lots of manpower, can be a profitable nation even based on tax and production alone, it's gotta be easy. But it's deceiving. If you want to progress you have to gobble up a ton of kingdoms. Which makes everyone around you hate your guts forever. I have never been in a proper one on one war. It's always me against a coalition. I may have a big army, but half of it is fighting invasions in places away from my main objective. I could see the AI easily losing the plot when it plays France.

I don't know what information is out there at the moment, but I got to talk to Johan from Paradox yesterday. Hee are some tidbits:

- They are already working on a bigger patch that should address some exploits including farming the Aztecs for gold..

Fuck.

Fitz

I have a question regarding the HRE.
I have recently conquered Siena, which like me is part of the HRE and I did get a warning from the to free Siena. I obviously ignored them and am sure this means something... Or does it?

And if it does how can I smooth things over.

If anyone owns Imperial territory (including the Emperor) but doesn't have a core on it, they'll get the unlawful territory modifier on that piece of land until they've cored it. The Emperor will also get a CB on that person to reclaim the piece of land, although I think that's only after they've passed the first HRE reform now.

France is more difficult to play than it would appear. At first you're all, big country, lots of manpower, can be a profitable nation even based on tax and production alone, it's gotta be easy. But it's deceiving. If you want to progress you have to gobble up a ton of kingdoms. Which makes everyone around you hate your guts forever. I have never been in a proper one on one war. It's always me against a coalition. I may have a big army, but half of it is fighting invasions in places away from my main objective. I could see the AI easily losing the plot when it plays France.

Coalitions are definitely the only thing that keep France in check at the moment. I've only played 3 proper games so far, but I think the reason they often become quite scary is because of the AIs inability to assess the danger of enemy armies very well. Whilst they can clearly tell the strength of an enemy stack, as evidenced by the fact that AI armies will try to move if a tougher army is advancing on them, this doesn't extend to managing their own army sizes. I've seen a coalition that lost against France when it had 3 times their numbers simply because France had bigger stacks than everyone else and the AI refused to group up their armies to a sufficient size.

Son1x

If anyone owns Imperial territory (including the Emperor) but doesn't have a core on it, they'll get the unlawful territory modifier on that piece of land until they've cored it. The Emperor will also get a CB on that person to reclaim the piece of land, although I think that's only after they've passed the first HRE reform now.

I believe if you core it after you decide to not give it back, the modifier will stay. But then again, I think it only lasts 10 years and the emperor rarely attacks for that piece of land.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mod related question.

I'd like to use the political map with the normal map shining through to see the terrain. Someone posted a mockup in this thread here a few pages ago which was just photoshopped. From what I understand, the political map is just colorcodes on top of the normal map, so there might possibly be a transparency option or something. Anyone found a way to do that?

ZZMitch

Are you playing Ironman? With Ironman, Lucky Nations is turned on with no way of turning off, which means France rolls nothing worse than a 5/5/5 leader every single team and thus is basically unstoppable. Without Ironman and with Lucky Nations turned off, they're much less scary, yeah.

Both ironman games

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Couple of questions:

1) Is there something special people are doing to get personal unions? I always look out for countries with disputed successions and arrange a royal marriage but they've never ended in a personal union.

2) Does anyone have any tips for forming the Holy Roman empire? I'm liberating lots of vassals and have implemented about half of the HRE policies but it's incredibly slow going.

Also, one stupid thing I was doing which I wasn't aware of was leaving military access open to random countries. It was totally destroying my Diplomatic relations. I was stuck on 1 point per month for the longest time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Couple of questions:

1) Is there something special people are doing to get personal unions? I always look out for countries with disputed successions and arrange a royal marriage but they've never ended in a personal union.

Once you arrange a royal marriage with such a country you can automatically (super low chance) get these PU's, but the better option is to "claim throne" and then start a war against them with the claim throne casus belli. That way you can get the whole country in a PU with just one war, but you'll still need to fight other allies of them.

Also, one stupid thing I was doing which I wasn't aware of was leaving military access open to random countries. It was totally destroying my Diplomatic relations. I was stuck on 1 point per month for the longest time.

Yeah, thats one of those things you simply learn to properly take care of after 2-3 games.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Genuinely really surprised people see a failing France in Ironman. The only time I've ever seen France fail was when I set out right from the start to make that so. If I'm playing Brandenburg or some other nation that doesn't have an opportunity to directly intervene in French affairs, by 1650ish France is an absolutely ridiculous juggernaut, always. I'm not complaining, it makes late-game EU4 absolutely amazing in comparison to late-game EU3 when you'd just blob mercilessly over Europe. EU4 late-game, for me, has always been about preserving the balance of powers (unless you have the opportunity to become dominant yourself, which is enjoyably rare).

France's idea that gives it 33% more army morale is ridiculous, and combined with it's huge manpower, France becomes a juggernaut once it reaches a decent size.

But I've seen France contained (without my involvement) in several games now. It always involves the Burgundian inheritance not triggering. Thanks to some sloppy coding (they get everything in the France region, which includes a bunch of imperial territory that should stay with the Habsburgs), France gets more provinces from Burgundy than it should and leaves it incredibly powerful.

Will I be able to run this decently on an iMac 2.8 GHz i5, 4GB, Radeon HD 5750? Minimum specs state a Radeon HD 6750, which is basically the same card as the 5750, except newer...

Will I be able to run this decently on an iMac 2.8 GHz i5, 4GB, Radeon HD 5750? Minimum specs state a Radeon HD 6750, which is basically the same card as the 5750, except newer...

the minimum specs on graphic card are a GeForce 8800 or a Radeon X1900, so you should be able to run it.

Toma

76pgWg1.jpg

29 to go.

Done so far:
Diplo-annex a vassal.
Build up your army to your country's maximum army forcelimit.
Build up your navy to your country's maximum navy forcelimit.
Become Defender of the Faith.
Secure a Royal Marriage with another country.
Conquer a province.
Win a war.
Overthrow Austria and become the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
Have a colony in Australia.
Discover the Americas as Castile or Spain.
Kill 10,000 men in one battle.
Accumulate 3000 gold.
Have 100 prestige, 100 legitimacy and three stability.
Control three Cardinals.
Win a war without fighting a single battle.
Install an union through a succession war.
Win a war as a secondary participant.
Form Russia.
Own one province on each continent.
Become the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire as Spain.
Own 200 provinces.
Be trade leader of seven different goods.

I'll probably go for the
Crush HRE
one next with my current Russia savegame. Lets see how that goes. I really love how the achievements offer incentives to try out different playstyles/nations and I wanted to try some of these before the first good mods hit that I might want to play (which will deactivate ironman and achievements).

Fitz

I'll probably go for the
Crush HRE
one next with my current Russia savegame. Lets see how that goes. I really love how the achievements offer incentives to try out different playstyles/nations and I wanted to try some of these before the first good mods hit that I might want to play (which will deactivate ironman and achievements).

Wholeheartedly agree on this point. I played quite a few nations in EU3, but I didn't have much interest in Poland for example, trying them atm and having a lot of fun. With all the vassals and the free Lithuanian union they get, they become a beast in no time after hardly going to war at all. Doubt I'd have tried them any time soon without wanting to make sure they can into space.

Omikron

I have no idea what I am doing by this point, seeing it is my first game to get to this point in time, but for the time being I have given up any sort of aggressive expansion inside Europe and leaving that to Burgundy / whoever and I am going to concentrate on spreading as far and wide as I can. Not sure if I am doing it the right way (so suggestions welcome!), but as Spain, you can see from the image that I have spread to Somalia in Africa, might hit up Maldives next...and in the US I might have issues with England who aggressively taking over Northern Canada.

Toma

I have no idea what I am doing by this point, seeing it is my first game to get to this point in time, but for the time being I have given up any sort of aggressive expansion inside Europe and leaving that to Burgundy / whoever and I am going to concentrate on spreading as far and wide as I can. Not sure if I am doing it the right way (so suggestions welcome!), but as Spain, you can see from the image that I have spread to Somalia in Africa, might hit up Maldives next...and in the US I might have issues with England who aggressively taking over Northern Canada.

I'd grab more south africa provinces for the Diplomatic Reputation + 2 trading bonus and then hit up australia and the colonizable islands to the north of australia if you want to stay away from the other european nations.

You could also then start some wars in asia, since they'll have way lower tech groups than you.

Omikron

I'd grab more south africa provinces for the Diplomatic Reputation + 2 trading bonus and then hit up australia and the colonizable islands to the north of australia if you want to stay away from the other european nations.

You could also then start some wars in asia, since they'll have way lower tech groups than you.

Cheers, didn't know about that bonus for SA. I own 3-4 of the provinces down there, so shouldn't be too hard to finish off the rest.

Toma

Cheers, didn't know about that bonus for SA. I own 3-4 of the provinces down there, so shouldn't be too hard to finish off the rest.

Check the ledger page 38, the one you should be most interested in in that regard is ivory. The market share tells you how many % you have of the worldwide production and who else has that trade good. You need 20% to get the bonus and if you grab the swahili provinces on eastern africa, you'll definitely have enough for the bonus.

If you are just missing a few tenths of a percent, you could also invest in manufactories for the trade good you are interested in. They are a tad expensive at 400 gold, but basically double the trade good output of that province, which is especially useful for the rarer trade goods, unlike for example ... grain. On page 37, hovering over the "supply" % shows you how many provinces produce a certain good (bottom of the tooltip), which is very helpful to plan how many provinces you need.

mkenyon

Banned
I can't stop.

First game to break my Dota addiction in a year.

On my.... 5th retry of Denmark. Finally understanding a lot of it, but that just means I now understand how much I don't know. So much more to learn.

Dina

But I've seen France contained (without my involvement) in several games now. It always involves the Burgundian inheritance not triggering. Thanks to some sloppy coding (they get everything in the France region, which includes a bunch of imperial territory that should stay with the Habsburgs), France gets more provinces from Burgundy than it should and leaves it incredibly powerful.

What you should do is coalition against France and war them early on. As England, Austria, Castille, Aragon, Portugal or Burgundy you can take him if you have allies.

France's provinces are filthy rich/really populated, so coring and converting culture takes ages while your overextension really creeps up. You can take 3 provinces max, so that makes beating France a long-term effort.

Instead, don't take lands off him, but force him to release nations. Especially forcing him to release coastal nations slows France's colonization efforts down to a crawl. After a few succesful wars, France is as small as his fractured neighbours are, while internal conflicts keep the country shattered for the next 100 years.

Toma

Just game across a larger font mod on the official forums: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?716331-Better-Font-Mod

There's a bit of clipping in some areas it seems, but pretty great nonetheless, especially for high-res monitors.

If anyone cares, these are the ironman compatible mods I am using atm:
BW6sKub.png

The first one exchanges the TI graphics to look less papery,but its nothing big. The flags look a bit more dirty/real and the added loading screens are a cool addition if you start up the game a few dozen times each week.
Bigger diplomacy view only makes sense on higher resolutions.

Fitz

If anyone cares, these are the ironman compatible mods I am using atm:
BW6sKub.png

The first one exchanges the TI graphics to look less papery,but its nothing big. The flags look a bit more dirty/real and the added loading screens are a cool addition if you start up the game a few dozen times each week.
Bigger diplomacy view only makes sense on higher resolutions.

Bigger Diplomacy looks really nice, going to try that out. Baffling that Paradox haven't done more to improve their UI as far as scaling and higher-resolutions go.

Toma

So, who would be interested in an MP round? I figure we'd need some discussion about the rules beforehand. I'd say 1 hour daily, so we can break the game up in digestible chunks that most people should be able to attend regularly. Which time period would the ones interested be fine with?

Regarding the country choices, I'd say we do a randomized vote. Everyone votes for 3 countries he would a) like to play himself and b) would be fine with others playing. Once we have the votes, we'll do a random draw for the voted countries. That way no one should be super disadvantaged by 2 friends here choosing countries next to each other and we'll likely avoid the big juggernauts as France, since hopefully no one votes for France to be played :p

Other than that, we'll likely end up playing most of it on speed 2 and 3, so be prepared that it will be a long time MP investment and the AI will take care of a country if the player is not attending the game.

So how does that sound? Who'd be interested? Which times would work for you?

Toma

Paradox is like six Swedish dudes at a basement in Stockholm running 1024 x 768 CRT monitors.

The map glitches out when the res is that low, so they at least work on 1366 * 768 :p

Son1x

So, who would be interested in an MP round? I figure we'd need some discussion about the rules beforehand. I'd say 1 hour daily, so we can break the game up in digestible chunks that most people should be able to attend regularly. Which time period would the ones interested be fine with?

Regarding the country choices, I'd say we do a randomized vote. Everyone votes for 3 countries he would a) like to play himself and b) would be fine with others playing. Once we have the votes, we'll do a random draw for the voted countries. That way no one should be super disadvantaged by 2 friends here choosing countries next to each other and we'll likely avoid the big juggernauts as France, since hopefully no one votes for France to be played :p

Other than that, we'll likely end up playing most of it on speed 2 and 3, so be prepared that it will be a long time MP investment and the AI will take care of a country if the player is not attending the game.

So how does that sound? Who'd be interested? Which times would work for you?

I'm definitely in! :)

Toma

I'm definitely in! :)

We'd also need to figure out how many people we can gather to see whether we possibly split up the MP in 2 rounds or something if we have more than 10 people wanting to play MP.

Top Bottom