• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm definitely in! :)

I'll most definitely be up for that, would really like to try some multiplayer out.

Anyone interested, please comment on the stuff I asked about in that post above. Mainly the time considerations would be initially very important if you dont disagree with the other stuff I wrote. Depending on the time, it might be necessary to break the MP games up in 2 groups regardless of player count.

Kabouter

We'd also need to figure out how many people we can gather to see whether we possibly split up the MP in 2 rounds or something if we have more than 10 people wanting to play MP.

Why split up in that scenario? Isn't it up to 32 players?

Fitz

Anyone interested, please comment on the stuff I asked about in that post above. Mainly the time considerations would be initially very important if you dont disagree with the other stuff I wrote. Depending on the time, it might be necessary to break the MP games up in 2 groups regardless of player count.

In in the UK as far as time zones go, but don't have any commitments at the moment so I can play pretty much whenever for however long people are up for it really.

As far as picking nations, I'm not fussed, at least for an initial game to test the waters. I'm fine with people playing whoever, possibly just vetoing a select few nations. We could always do something like a single draft style, everyone clicks random 3 times and picks from one of the three.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
In in the UK as far as time zones go, but don't have any commitments at the moment so I can play pretty much whenever for however long people are up for it really.

As far as picking nations, I'm not fussed, at least for an initial game to test the waters. I'm fine with people playing whoever, possibly just vetoing a select few nations. We could always do something like a single draft style, everyone clicks random 3 times and picks from one of the three.

Well, I still suppose you sleep at one point :p Please give me a daily time period in which you'd be fine playing.

Why split up in that scenario? Isn't it up to 32 players?

ThoseDeafMutes said 10 max for his preferred round I believe. I personally wouldnt object to a full 32 man game either, but I guess we'll be limited by time zones anyway so I'd say we'd start by collecting the interested people and their possible play times and then decide afterwards what we'll do with it.

Fitz

Well, I still suppose you sleep at one point :p Please give me a daily time period in which you'd be fine playing.

Sorry, didn't realise you meant so specifically. ^^ Any time between about 10.30 AM and 3AM local time is cool, as long as it's not repeatedly until the early hours.

Toma

Sorry, didn't realise you meant so specifically. ^^ Any time between about 10.30 AM and 3AM local time is cool, as long as it's not repeatedly until the early hours.

Yup, I meant time period and time zone, so its

MP time scheduling said:
Arol, 7 PM - ?? / PST
Colkate, 10:30 AM - 3 AM / BST
KingSnake, 7 PM - 3 AM / CET
Mgoblue201, 5 PM - ?? / Eastern Time (flexible?)
mkenyon, 7 PM - 11 PM / PST
Toma, 12 noon - 3 AM / CET
Zoku88, 7PM - 2AM / PST

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just started playing this (imported my CK 2 game) and still not having full knowledge about it, but I would be up for multiplayer. CET zone - available from 7PM to 3 AM. I don't really have preference for the countries.

I'm currently playing as Kongo and apparently I'm not allowed to convert to a different religion than Shamanist nor am I able to change government type to Monarchy. Is there a way to change that? Or should I just use that as an excuse for waging religious wars all over Africa?

Toma

I'm currently playing as Kongo and apparently I'm not allowed to convert to a different religion than Shamanist nor am I able to change government type to Monarchy. Is there a way to change that? Or should I just use that as an excuse for waging religious wars all over Africa?

To change religion, you need to have a province in your country with the religion you want to change to. Or have religious rebels rising up and give in to their demands, but that is harder to plan.

To change religion, you need to have a province in your country with the religion you want to change to.
I have two of those and I'm explicitly forbidden to change religion. Maybe it will change once they are cores.
Or have religious rebels rising up and give in to their demands, but that is harder to plan.
Yeah, that sounds tricky but it might be worth a shot. First I have to westernize my ideas. Being a sub-Saharan country sucks.

mkenyon

Banned
To change religion, you need to have a province in your country with the religion you want to change to. Or have religious rebels rising up and give in to their demands, but that is harder to plan.
For me to change religions, one of the religions needs to have rebels in control of at least one province. Not sure if that is the case for all religions, but I'd think so.
Yup, I meant time period and time zone, so its
This week I'm super limited, but starting next Monday, I could do:

7-11pm M-F, 10am-11pm Sat/Sun. Pacific Standard Time.

Probably doesn't work out, but I thought I'd put it out there in case.

Toma

For me to change religions, one of the religions needs to have rebels in control of at least one province. Not sure if that is the case for all religions, but I'd think so.

This week I'm super limited, but starting next Monday, I could do:

7-11pm M-F, 10am-11pm Sat/Sun. Pacific Standard Time.

Probably doesn't work out, but I thought I'd put it out there in case.

We'll probably wont start this until 1-2 weeks at least. I think it will take a while to set all of this up.

Mr.Mike

Once school starts I should be consistently available Tuesday and Thursday mornings until 2pm EST thanks to my schedule. Saturdays and Sundays I should be available for the most part as well.

EDIT: We should pick a standard timezone, probably the one whoever is hosting the match is in, and post all of our available times in that time zone.

Toma

Once school starts I should be consistently available Tuesday and Thursday mornings until 2pm EST thanks to my schedule. Saturdays and Sundays I should be available for the most part as well.

EDIT: We should pick a standard timezone, probably the one whoever is hosting the match is in, and post all of our available times in that time zone.

I am not trusting people to post correct conversions :p People can just post their own time zones and I'll do the conversion myself. For now, we just need to know who is interested and the time period that would work. I'll let you know once I figured out a good overlapping time for a match.

Whats the opinion on the play days? Every day? Every week day? Every two days (smth like Mo, We, Th, Sa)? It would probably be easier to schedule the rest of the week around playsessions if we have an alternating rhythm, but it would also take way longer to make progress.

And as I said, we wont start this in the next few days, so we have enough time for some planning.

Berto

I'm playing with Portugal and doing the historic and traditional progress, the Portuguese trading power is colossal, i'm really digging this new trading system. But it's getting too easy, I think i'll start a new game.

Toma

I'm playing with Portugal and doing the historic and traditional progress, the Portuguese trading power is colossal, i'm really digging this new trading system. But it's getting too easy, I think i'll start a new game.

Too easy? You already conquered europe?And you could always check who is the leading nation in score and try to make it fall with some smart coalitions or alliances. Usually, there is still plenty to do and I cant really say that the game ever got too easy.

This happens to me all the time. I lose motivation and start anew once the game gets less interesting. Why continue a boring game when I can start over? I rarely find things past the first 200 years to be compelling. But I like to keep things vaguely historical so world conquests and the sort don't interest me.

Mr.Mike

I have found that colonizing can get kind of boring after a while and so I end up starting new games and never finishing the one I'm playing. So I've gone and played Brandenburg, which has been a lot of fun and I think I'll take it all he way to the end and do my best to militarily unite the HRE and all of the Germanic culture group, then maybe push into the Balkans. When I'm done that I think I'll probably play Byzantium and try to rebuild the Roman Empire.

About the MP game, what happens if our country is eliminated? Could we then pick up an untaken country and continue to play as them? I'm not entirely sure how the MP works since I haven't played any yet so I don't know if that's even possible.

Here's a screenshot of what I mentioned a few posts up. Playing with Kongo is really challenging. The technology penalty makes me an easy prey for European nations and I can't befriend any other African country because they all hate my religion. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed in my current game, but at least I'm having fun playing something different.
i22TgLk3IIxXA.jpg

Clevinger

Is there a way to tell if I can vassalize a country without going to war with them and looking in the sue for peace menu?

thanks

Clevinger

You can offer in the diplomacy screen.

Yeah, I know. If they're more than three provinces big, then it's impossible to do it diplomatically as far as I can tell.

I mean is there a way to see if it's possible if I can vassalize them through conquest. To know if it's not "the total peace cost of their provinces is too great." Without starting a war, that is.

Mr.Mike

Yeah, I know. If they're more than three provinces big, then it's impossible to do it diplomatically as far as I can tell.

I mean is there a way to see if it's possible if I can vassalize them through conquest. To know if it's not "the total peace cost of their provinces is too great." Without starting a war, that is.

You can offer them a royal marriage and wait for them to have a leader without an heir. You can then either wait until the leader dies and hope you inherit the country under a "Personal Union" where that country essentially becomes a vassal (I'm not quite sure how exactly the game decides which royal marriage partner gets the personal union), or you can declare a "War of Succession" with the casus belli you should now have. After 50 years you will be able to "integrate" them into your country.

Otherwise you might have to do the job over 3 or so wars, at the end of each war taking some provinces and forcing them to release nations (make sure that the nations are 3 provinces or less) and vassalizing those nations. Then finally when the country is small enough you can fight one last war and vassalize them.

In EU3 you could just siege a country 100% and then wait ages. Their province value would go down over time and thus you could annex/vassalise them even if they started as over 100% cost. They might have fixed it in EU4 though.

Omikron

Declaring war on a country without first looking at the coalition thing might have been a huge error of judgement.

And I mean huge.

zoku88

Just about near the end of my second full game of EUIV.

This time, I played as Venice. My god, I've never been this affluent compared to others in a Paradox game. I have like 50K gold. I don't even worry about putting down the maintenance slider anymore or disabanding my numerous mercs.

This game has been pretty interesting. I did a cheap move with the Ottomans, guaranteed the Byzantines and sent my whole fleet to Constaninople, which pretty much weakened the Ottomans through the whole game (they eventually took over Byzantium and the Mamluks, but by this point, they were too weak to even fight me, much less Hungary and Poland.)

Poland got into a PU with Austria sometime around the time when I was worrying about France blobbing up. France got somewhat screwed when I go into a coaltion against them with pretty much every major european power.

Then Poland inherited Austria and pretty much owned most of Eastern Europe. Until eventually, another coalition broke them apart (nothing to do with me, but I did take Athens from them and forced them to release a small Styria, which became Austria almost immediately.)

Unfortunately, Sweden took advantage of all of this, and pretty much owns Scandanavia (PU with Denmark) plus most of modern day Russia. They have the strongest military in the game and I've been in many losing wars against them, as they are also allied with GB, which has a nasty fleet and Bohemia, which blobbed to take over most of Northern Germany. Their quality is pretty good too, they tear through my troops normally. The best I've managed against them (the most recent war) is a white peace. I did many to take out like 50 or so of their ships though.

But who cares about that, I'm rich!

Oh, and I missed all of the time talk. If it's not too late, I'm usually free weekdays after 7PM PST and generally, anytime weekends.

Toma

Oh, and I missed all of the time talk. If it's not too late, I'm usually free weekdays after 7PM PST and generally, anytime weekends.

7PM until?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Byzantium, Iron man mode, 1444 start, normal difficulty.

Let me guess: built a load of galleys, declared war, blocked the straits to prevent the Ottomans entering, used a combination of war exhaustion and funded rebels to get Greek patriots springing up everywhere, then let them defect?

On another note, I'm really quite annoyed at the moment. Trying to do the hat trick of Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany -> Holy Roman Empire, but I've been over 150 years now without a monarch with above 3 diplo, which means I can't form Prussia, despite having held Ostprussern and Hinterpommern since the 1470s and having turned basically the entire empire bar the Hansa Protestant. I'm now just aimlessly blobbing into Poland waiting for my monarchs to shit out a good 'un. Between me and my personal union, Saxony (I'm restricting myself to one PU at a time), I have all the necessary cores for Germany, so it really is just a waiting game.

EDIT: Oh, and for times, 7 PM - 1 AM BST is good for me. I've never played multiplayer before, though, so I request mercy from the brutally experienced when my fumbling nation reveals how useless it is.

Let me guess: built a load of galleys, declared war, blocked the straits to prevent the Ottomans entering, used a combination of war exhaustion and funded rebels to get Greek patriots springing up everywhere, then let them defect?

Even gamier than that.

You fund bulgarian patriots, lay down carpet sieges across bulgarian culture provinces and wait for the bulgarian rebel doomstacks to appear. Since you fund them they are friendly to you and will assist your sieges. Greek rebels naturally spawn when WE gets high and gives you most of the western balkans. In the peace deal you take the bulgarian culture provinces with sea access to prevent them shipping reinforcements. When the war ends you release those two provinces as your vassal, and then when more rebels inevitably spawn, they defect to your vassal. Diploannexing gives cores which is just icing on the cake.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Even gamier than that.

You fund bulgarian patriots, lay down carpet sieges across bulgarian culture provinces and wait for the bulgarian rebel doomstacks to appear. Since you fund them they are friendly to you and will assist your sieges. Greek rebels naturally spawn when WE gets high and gives you most of the western balkans. In the peace deal you take the bulgarian culture provinces with sea access to prevent them shipping reinforcements. When the war ends you release those two provinces as your vassal, and then when more rebels inevitably spawn, they defect to your vassal. Diploannexing gives cores which is just icing on the cake.

I respect that but I couldn't play like that. I enjoy role-playing as an actual state too much, so I apply a fair few house rules and try only to make plausible decisions.

mkenyon

Banned
Whelp, France got theirs.

As Denmark, I was their ally for quite awhile, originally using them as a way to buffer against an Austria that inherited Burgundy as I expanded into the Hannoverian area.

Eventually though, I had to just end the alliance as they were too powerful. I'm not kidding when I say the coalition was literally every Christian nation. And this happened twice within 30 years.

Arol

It happens a lot with France, maybe its just me but from the 10 games or so I've played, France doesn't blob at all; they either get poor rulers, coalitions, or implode internally.

Also, I'd be interested in MP as well if that actually takes off.

Toma

It happens a lot with France, maybe its just me but from the 10 games or so I've played, France doesn't blob at all; they either get poor rulers, coalitions, or implode internally.

We'll try. I'd say we'll keep collecting possible times from the interested players for another week and then see where we go from there. If /when we decide to start, I'll shoot you guys a PM.

Which time period works for you?

zoku88

Yea, I feel like blobs in this game get theirs eventually. It gives me a perverse sense of joy.

I'll be very happy when it happens to Sweden in my game.

Toma

What's the player limit for multiplayer games? I might be willing to join evenings in CET if it's not too often.

32, but it would sort of be a regular thing to get somewhere. My current consideration is 1 hour every 2 days, but people are free to miss a session of course in which the AI would handle their nation.

32, but it would sort of be a regular thing to get somewhere. My current consideration is 1 hour every 2 days, but people are free to miss a session of course in which the AI would handle their nation.
If it's only one hour then I can squeeze it into my schedule. Sign me up! How do we select nations? A random draw?

Son1x

I'm going on vacation next week and won't be home until late September, so I won't be able to join the multiplayer game :(

Arol

We'll try. I'd say we'll keep collecting possible times from the interested players for another week and then see where we go from there. If /when we decide to start, I'll shoot you guys a PM.

Which time period works for you?

After 7pm PST works for me, some days I'm completely open all day, others I'm not, my schedule tends to vary a bit.

It wouldn't bother me letting the AI take over for a sessions or so.

See first post on this very page.
Yep, those rules are fine.

In my fourth attempt to conquer the world as Kongo I'm actually doing alright. I need about 120 years to get a decent economy rolling and this time I got lucky with the power balance in Europe. Castile has a part of western Africa, but otherwise the continent is pretty clear of overpowered Europeans. They're currently allied with Portugal, Great Britain and Aragon so I guess I'll try to side with France, Mali and Morocco.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I'm incredibly hacked off at the moment. The date is 1703 and I still haven't formed Prussia because I haven't had a single monarch with 4 or higher DIP since game start in 1444. No idea what I did to piss off the RNG, but boy is it fucking with me at the moment. 1703! 259 years covering 17 different monarchs - that has a 0.007% chance of happening!

I'd love to be involved .. my times are: 6pm - 3am BST

Toma

Yep, those rules are fine.

In my fourth attempt to conquer the world as Kongo I'm actually doing alright. I need about 120 years to get a decent economy rolling and this time I got lucky with the power balance in Europe. Castile has a part of western Africa, but otherwise the continent is pretty clear of overpowered Europeans. They're currently allied with Portugal, Great Britain and Aragon so I guess I'll try to side with France, Mali and Morocco.

So what would be your possible time?

Current schedule:
MP time scheduling said:
archnemesis, 6 PM - midnight / CET
Arol, 7 PM - ?? / PST
Colkate, 10:30 AM - 3 AM / BST
KingSnake, 7 PM - 3 AM / CET
Manik, 8:30pm - 12:30pm / BST
Mgoblue201, 5 PM - ?? / Eastern Time (flexible?)
mkenyon, 7 PM - 11 PM / PST
Rug Monkey, 6 PM - 3 AM / BST
Toma, 12 noon - 3 AM / CET
Zoku88, 7PM - 2AM / PST

Top Bottom