• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It stops being complicated when you realize everything works like it should for the most part. It's not like memorizing what goes through BKB :p

There's too many subsystems!

And I thought Civ 4 was too cluttered.

zoku88

There's too many subsystems!

And I thought Civ 4 was too cluttered.

When I was learning EU3, I found it helpful to play as a nation that wouldn't have to interact with too many systems. Like, playing a landlocked nation so you dont have to deal with navy/trade.

So, my advice is Brandenburg!

Haly

I just started a new game and I'm Ottomons.

I'm going to capture my core and then declare jihad on the infidels.

I mostly dabble in these games, so I sometimes feel like dogatkeyboard.gif with a lot of stuff, but I think I understand most of the surface systems.

That being said I just played a game as Portugal and colonized most of the Caribbean when out of nowhere, right after a costly war with France, I underwent a MASSIVE unstoppable peasant uprising. Like, fucking end times shit. - 3 stability. I'd pay enough to bump it up, OH FUCK A COMET, - 1 stability. THIS TRULY IS THE END WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???

The mobs eventually broke me and forced me into a Republic...?

Mr.Mike

Coalitions are stupid.I suppose that they could be really useful, but I've been soured on them after a recent experience.

So playing as Austria, I joined a coalition against the Ottoman's, hoping to weaken them and maybe have them release some nations in the Balkans that I could vassalize. Eventually the Mamluks declare war on the Ottomans to conquer some province out next to them. I capture all of the Balkans, and go to peace out with the Ottomans but I can't, since only the leader of a coalition can negotiate. Fine, so I go an I capture all of Anatolia, and some more, and get to almost 100% war score, with the Mamluks holding their war goal but... nothing. At this point I have a ridiculous war score modifier for continuing a war I have already won, which is ridiculous since I am being punished over something I can't do anything about and didn't want to do in the first place. Now I have 20 war exhaustion, rebels popping up everywhere and the Mamluks don't seem to have any intent to end this war. I've given up on my Ottoman holdings in order to focus on the rebels popping up in my country, since some nations were getting close to releasing themselves, so now the Ottoman Empire is all rebel held. And quite frankly, I don't really want to continue with this one anymore, even though I am in a fantastic position otherwise (leading PU with the Denmark, GB and Muscovy). Maybe I'll keep going to see if this finally ends and I can get my war exhaustion under control.
fp94uS7.jpg

PS. If you want to conquer the world, or even just Europe ( as I was attempting to), you're gonna need more diplomatic relations.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Option A: It's an omen
-1 Stability

Option B: The end is nigh!
-1 Stability

Option C: Ignore the peasant rabble
-1 Stability

Option D: Stop looking at the sky!
-1 Stability

Oooh, right. More options are always good.

Haly

How do I keep my ships from dying from attrition? I want to colonize murika but I lost half my navy after only halfway.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How do I keep my ships from dying from attrition? I want to colonize murika but I lost half my navy after only halfway.

Search the shortest route (from africa to Brazil) and make sure they are fully repaired.

Edit: Below are the better answers.

Mr.Mike

Ships gain attrition from being in water tiles too far away from one of your ports, and the longer they are away from your ports the faster they deteriorate. If you're sending them out to explore you're gonna have to order them back into port in order to repair when they lose enough health. (They have to be docked in order to repair, you can't just sit them in a water tile next to your ports)

Search the shortest route (from africa to Brazil) and make sure they are fully repaired.

Yes. Also you probably won't be able to make it all the way to America from wherever you are. You're gonna have to make some colonies along the way so you can have ports to dock at and extend your colonial range. (Provinces need to be cored in order for them to extend your colonial range, but they don't have to finish colonizing in order for you to use them as docks for your ships). Besides Africa to Brazil, there's another route up north, Greenland to Atlantic Canada, but you might need to get some fleet basing rights from Norway (this will allow you to use their ports, for a monthly fee)

Colkate mentions a good technique a good technique below.

Fitz

When exploring initially you have to explore a few provinces at a time, returning to port when your attrition starts to stack to high. One good technique is to have two light ships in a port, send the first one (plus the Explorer) out until you have to return, then when back in port, swap the Explorer to your fresh ship and send that out whilst the other explores. Also bear in mind that ocean provinces build attrition up faster (until Diplo tech 22) than coastal provinces.

edit: beaten to the new world

Haly

Figured it out through trial and error but thanks all.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
If you're playing as Portugal or Castile, it's a good idea to colonize Cape Verde. Due to the unique alignment of the map, the corner of South America is only a single ocean province away. Then you can explore up and down the coast while taking minimal attrition. If you're playing as another country, then you can simply get fleet basing rights from one of the other colonial powers.

Haly

I never thought of myself as a roleplayer but EU4 tickles something in me that Civ5 never did.

GO FORTH MY EXPLORERS, FOR THE GLORY OF PORTUGAL!

Haly

I have Crusader Kings 2 because I preordered EUIV. I tried it, couldn't understand it at all. But now that I know more or less how EUIV works I might go back.

Mr.Mike

I have Crusader Kings 2 because I preordered EUIV. I tried it, couldn't understand it at all. But now that I know more or less how EUIV works I might go back.

Well, if you ever have some sort of RP fancy you want tickled while playing a grand strategy game, this would be the thing to do it. There's even a DLC you can get that lets you design your own leader and start your own dynasty.

robjoh

quick question:
Is it possible to change state religion?

I am for the moment playing as Sweden and I think that more than half of my nation is Protestant meanwhile the state religion is Catholic. So I would like to change over to Protestant as I for the moment needs to run around putting down very small religious revolts.

Walshicus

quick question:
Is it possible to change state religion?

I am for the moment playing as Sweden and I think that more than half of my nation is Protestant meanwhile the state religion is Catholic. So I would like to change over to Protestant as I for the moment needs to run around putting down very small religious revolts.

Should be an option on the religion screen. There are some restrictions for some (actually most?) in which you can convert to, but Catholic/Protestant/Reformed should be changeable between.

robjoh

Should be an option on the religion screen. There are some restrictions for some (actually most?) in which you can convert to, but Catholic/Protestant/Reformed should be changeable between.

Thanks! A reform would mean -3 in stability! Nice :)

I have +1 now. So I guess HUGE problem when I do the reform :)

bjaelke

I'm playing as Poland and currently busy fighting/invading Hungary, when I get asked to join another war. I'm low on war forces and high on exhausting. Can I accept the Call to Arms and ignore it, or am I forces to send men to aid Austria.

cXP5T8f.jpg

Hari Seldon

^ Lol in my game as Byz, Austria is constantly dragging me into huge wars just like that. Those bastards are annoying.

I need to keep them as Allies, as for some reason I cannot gain anymore allies. I think someone is sabotaging my reputation or something, because I have only ever invaded Muslim countries as Byz, I just inherited and diplo annexed a few. I would like to drop Austria and stick with the Commonwealth, but they won't have me.

diamount

Banned
I'm playing as Poland and currently busy fighting/invading Hungary, when I get asked to join another war. I'm low on war forces and high on exhausting. Can I accept the Call to Arms and ignore it, or am I forces to send men to aid Austria.

cXP5T8f.jpg

Meh, there are better allies for Poland in my experience. Austria is always declaring or defending a HRE state.

I need to keep them as Allies, as for some reason I cannot gain anymore allies. I think someone is sabotaging my reputation or something, because I have only ever invaded Muslim countries as Byz, I just inherited and diplo annexed a few. I would like to drop Austria and stick with the Commonwealth, but they won't have me.

If you hover your mouse over the red X on the 'request alliance' button it will tell you the exact conditions you need to be an ally

Haly

I think if you agree to go to war but don't send forces, it'll reflect poorly. How the AI actually measures "involvement" I have no clue, but I know Britain got pissy when I wouldn't help them against the Scots, and Spain got mad when I was too busy taking care of a string of rebellions to bugger around in France.

It's a pretty severe hit too actually, and it decays only by 1-2 per year.

zoku88

I think if you agree to go to war but don't send forces, it'll reflect poorly. How the AI actually measures "involvement" I have no clue, but I know Britain got pissy when I wouldn't help them against the Scots, and Spain got mad when I was too busy taking care of a string of rebellions to bugger around in France.

Hmmm~ I don't remember that penalty.

The only war related penatlies I can think of are

Aggresive expansion -- obvious, negative
Seperate peace -- when you sign a peace deal for yourself and allies are still fighitng a war, negative
Fought to the end -- basically, you didn't sign a separate peace deal, positive (but pretty small, like +10)
And of course, the penalty for not joining (-100) and bonus for joining (also, +10?)

I don't think there's an express negative modifier for joining a war, but not doing anything. I pretty much do this all of the time.

EDIT: I could be wrong, however. Possible that I never cared enough to check.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
You'll only get a penalty for declining a call to arms (which is incredibly severe), but you can still accept it and refuse to send any troops without receiving a penalty.

evilhomer

I don't remember this happening. People may get mad if you settle for peace early or if you decline to join the war. A couple times I joined wars without actually involving myself in it and had no penalties for it.

Kabouter

Finished my Sweden > Scandinavia Ironman game. Sought to get the achievement for owning the baltic coastline as Sweden, which I did. In the process however (upon integrating Portugal and France) I got aggressive expander (200 provinces), market control (trade leader of 7 goods) and at every continent (own a province on every continent) as well.

Toma

Hm... not sure they have enough CBs to attack Jaunpur yet.
jJgtOjvhVdp7h.png

Toma

How do I build special buildings?

Click on the building popup icon where all your items pop up and choose "special building". Choose a building and then just click on the province you want to build it in.

Playing as Denmark is pretty damn fun. Juggling diplomatic ties, conquering those HRE nations that dare oppose me (and the occasional conflict with Lithuania/Poland) and working on integrating Sweden and Norway.

I never could get into CK2. Something about it just never clicked with me. I like the broader focus on national strategy.

zoku88

Just finished my Byzantine game. The Frence got pretty much destroyed early in the game and spent the rest getting back lost lands. Austria also got destroyed (mostly be Venice, I think), but blobbed back up after I got into lots of wars and messed up Venice pretty bad.

I also somehow won a succession war against Russia and got into a PU with Ukraine. Funny thing, Russia was my ally in another war against Spain, so our forces weren't fighting until the warscore was at least 40 in my favour.

I wasn't able to westernize until like the last couple years of the game. Mostly because none of ny neighbors: Austria, Tuscany, Naples, were far enough ahead of me tech-wise :-/

AI Spain is kinda scary. Did a lot better than I did in my last Spain game...

Not really sure how the ottomans managed to surive. Lucky PUs early in the game, I guess.

Haly

Click on the building popup icon where all your items pop up and choose "special building". Choose a building and then just click on the province you want to build it in.

I unclocked them but the tab itself is greyed out.

Also I think I fubared my portugal game. I'm getting swamped on all sides by europeans and rebels in my colonies.

I really underestimated the overextension modifiers.

i4WZiCe9B9Uhz.png

zoku88

Uhm, how much overextension do you have?

And do I see Serbia still existing?

EDIT: About the special building thing. You're talking about things like Mint and Stock Exchange, right? Did you build all of the previous things in the branch?

Or are you talking about thigns like admirality/ war college? I always get the names mixed up.

Haly

Uhm, how much overextension do you have?

And do I see Serbia still existing?
I had 100 by the end. And I think Serbia was swallowed by Hungary or Ottomans.

EDIT: About the special building thing. You're talking about things like Mint and Stock Exchange, right? Did you build all of the previous things in the branch?
Ah, I see. I'm pretty spammy with my buildings but I usually don't go down a "tree". I didn't realize I had to build all the previous entries to even see them.
They usually cost a lot of money, like 1000 ducats. Maybe you just lack the funds needed?

I had like 35k ducats by the time my empire was overrun by rebels. Looking back i could've conscripted a mercenary army but I didn't want to bother.

Top Bottom