• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Updated start for the MP:

ZhACxW7.png

Castile - FACE
Burgundy - fanboi
Scotland - RugMonkey
Venice - Archnemesis
Naples - Colkate
Poland - Manik
Wallachia - KingSnake
Georgia - Wink
Novgorod - Crab
Hosokawa - Mgoblue201 (He is free to change to japan though since Ming is right next door)
Viyanagar - Toma
Ming - Kabouter

Probably a good idea.

On it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This is a crazy good idea. I like it.

This wont work that well, because if we start with 10 players in CK2, only 3-4 might survive the ordeal at the end and then you start EU4 with 3-4 huge nations. You might as well play CK2 with an extended timeline or EU4 with bigger nations.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This wont work that well, because if we start with 10 players in CK2, only 3-4 might survive the ordeal at the end and then you start EU4 with 3-4 huge nations. You might as well play CK2 with an extended timeline or EU4 with bigger nations.

I realize that, but the whole game and the final clash of the giants should be quite spectacular. It won't be so good for now, but maybe in the future if the games are going to be nice it could a great bonus round.

Toma

In the middle of an ironman game and ssteam goes down. Grr.

EMT0

Banned
Guys, while I love Paradox games, I'm soured on buying them day one after the mess that was Victoria 2. Would you say that EU4 as it is now merits being purchased, in part due to having very little problems?

Toma

Guys, while I love Paradox games, I'm soured on buying them day one after the mess that was Victoria 2. Would you say that EU4 as it is now merits being purchased, in part due to having very little problems?

Definitely, its basically almost bug free and probably the most polished and easily best Paradox game on release so far.

Toma

Different question. I am allied with Scotland and we are winning against England that they started. Despite unticking the "Negotiates for me"-box, they were able to end the war without my consent, why?

zoku88

Different question. I am allied with Scotland and we are winning against England that they started. Despite unticking the "Negotiates for me"-box, they were able to end the war without my consent, why?

The war leader can always end the war.

The box basically means that the war leader can't negotiate terms for you (as in, they wont make England give provinces to you, nor will they make you release nations or give provinces to england or her allies.)

Toma

Achievements 24/51
New Achievements done:

Viva La Revolucion - Have rebels you support enforce their demands
The big blue blob - As France, annex all french cores

Progress!

The war leader can always end the war.

The box basically means that the war leader can't negotiate terms for you (as in, they wont make England give provinces to you, nor will they make you release nations or give provinces to england or her allies.)

Ah, thanks.

Burbank_

Question about battles:

2. Morale determines who wins battles, but what decides wheter defeated troops die or just retreat? The AI often loses without taking too many casualties, my guys die like flies when I lose.

Kabouter

Achievements 24/51
New Achievements done:

Viva La Revolucion - Have rebels you support enforce their demands
The big blue blob - As France, annex all french cores

Progress!

Ah, thanks.

Just grabbed me the Russia formation achievement, #26 :). Muscovy is goddamn easy mode.

Question about battles:

2. Morale determines who wins battles, but what decides wheter defeated troops die or just retreat? The AI often loses without taking too many casualties, my guys die like flies when I lose.

Discipline affects both units lost and killed.

Damn those Austrians and their habit to go to war with half of Europa at the same time. 4 wars at the same time, over a dozen participants ? What is it, WW1 The Prequel ? It's ridiculous.

zoku88

Damn those Austrians and their habit to go to war with half of Europa at the same time. 4 wars at the same time, over a dozen participants ? What is it, WW1 The Prequel ? It's ridiculous.

In one of my first games, as Venice, I decided to secure an alliance with Austria so that they would protect me from themselves (stupid cores) and so that people would be hopefully less likely to DOW me.

I think I would have preferred people DOWing me directly. Austrians are never in peace. Never.

The coalition system leads to some really silly shit sometimes, honestly. I'm expanding in North America and therefore the Iroquois and Shawnee are in a coalition against me. That makes sense, but what doesn't is me declaring war on them and then suddenly Spain, Vijayanagar and half the HRE jumping in to protect them. As soon as I get provinces adjacent to someone, they suddenly get paranoid and want to align against me because I'm very powerful, not because I'm making threatening moves towards them or their allies. If the diplomacy system was more intricate you could imagine dividing up the New World into spheres with other colonizers, and people in Europe wouldn't be lifting a finger to save pagan tribes on a continent they have no contact with.

Quick question, how do I up my trade efficiency?

Also I keep getting negative diplo points becuase of relationships, what is that referring to?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
In my experience Austria always exhausts itself through continual warfare. And these are not the most intelligent wars to get involved in either. Austria shouldn't be launching preemptive strikes against a rather formidable Hungary so early in the game over basically nothing. I've seen Austria's entire army get decimated this way.
Quick question, how do I up my trade efficiency?

Also I keep getting negative diplo points becuase of relationships, what is that referring to?
Trade efficiency mainly comes through tech, though there are a few other things you can do to improve it such as the trade idea path or the east Indian trade decision.

Diplomatic relations include anything which allows you to interact with another country: royal marriages, alliances, guarantees, military access, and fleet basing rights. You can only have a limited number of those. Keep in mind that it's on a per country basis, so a royal marriage and alliance with one country will only count as a single diplomatic relationship.
The coalition system leads to some really silly shit sometimes, honestly. I'm expanding in North America and therefore the Iroquois and Shawnee are in a coalition against me. That makes sense, but what doesn't is me declaring war on them and then suddenly Spain, Vijayanagar and half the HRE jumping in to protect them. As soon as I get provinces adjacent to someone, they suddenly get paranoid and want to align against me because I'm very powerful, not because I'm making threatening moves towards them or their allies. If the diplomacy system was more intricate you could imagine dividing up the New World into spheres with other colonizers, and people in Europe wouldn't be lifting a finger to save pagan tribes on a continent they have no contact with.
Same thing happens to me. I'm trying to live in peace with the North American tribes, but I keep getting the border friction event (for claims I don't even want), which turns all my relations with them to -200. So now every time I want to launch a war in Asia I have to deal with a coalition of the Shawnee, Iroquois, Great Britain, and a few others, and the coalition never breaks up no matter how many times it's defeated.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A thought dawned on me during my play as Byzantium....

It's 1657 and Scotland still lives:

1024x576.resizedimage

Horribly compressed and all, but it amazes me that Scotland's push through the south during the 1500s has managed to keep England from forming Britain for at least a century. Amazing.

I'm playing as Denmark, and the game turning my country Swedish blue after forming Scandinavia is just horribly wrong. Time to mod this out.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In my experience Austria always exhausts itself through continual warfare. And these are not the most intelligent wars to get involved in either. Austria shouldn't be launching preemptive strikes against a rather formidable Hungary so early in the game over basically nothing. I've seen Austria's entire army get decimated this way.

That's a good thing when playing with Wallachia and managing to split Hungary between you, Poland and Austria.

Byzantium is quite suicidal sometimes and one time took me with them by offering an Alliance and immediately declaring war on the Ottomans. That was a wild ride.

It's a cycle that happens to many AI countries. They win Pyrrhic victories that leave them empty of manpower and with over-extension or war exhaustion troubles. Other countries then exploit it, it's why you see blobs rise and then implode. Austria gets the worst of it because as Emperor they get pulled into a ton of wars. The AI isn't capable of dealing with the way manpower works in EU4.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
How could you not have annexed the ottos by now

You are a disappointment to us all
I finally did it!

Mostly due to pressure from the north and the fact that the last time I battled against them was a strain on my resources.

European politics is a pain in the arse.

fanboi

Banned
In my game, Savoy is emperor and Austria is a bitch to handle since they are growing larger and larger...

Albeit this leaves a quite weak HRE (since it is 1750 and they have only made two decisions....).

Kabouter

In my Muscovy (now Russia) game, Austria is absurdly powerful. They've pushed deep into the Balkans, have all but two imperial reforms, have huge armies and a very good set of allies and it's only around 1610. Don't know about you Basileus, but in most games I play, Austria becomes incredibly powerful and stays that way throughout the game.

In my Muscovy (now Russia) game, Austria is absurdly powerful. They've pushed deep into the Balkans, have all but two imperial reforms, have huge armies and a very good set of allies and it's only around 1610. Don't know about you Basileus, but in most games I play, Austria becomes incredibly powerful and stays that way throughout the game.
I was mostly responding to the other poster there. In my own experience, they tend to do alright, they usually have a strong enough manpower base (esp with Burgundy) to avoid imploding. I don't see them go into the Balkans all that much though. I have seen Bohemia eat them, blob Bohemia happens a fairly regularly in my games.

Burbank_

How do you know when you're supposed to honor an alliance and go to war? I've missed it every time in every game and I've realized it is ruining my diplomatic relations.

How do you know when you're supposed to honor an alliance and go to war? I've missed it every time in every game and I've realized it is ruining my diplomatic relations.

When you receive a call to arms, you then can either honor it or refuses it.

I am obsessed with "winning" a Byzantium game and it's devouring all my free time.

Ah ah, same for me :)
Of the 30 hours I already spent on eu4 :
- 10 were spent on a beginner, let's-see-how-it-plays Burgundy campaign
- 10 were spent customizing the beginning of my Biz campaign (finally I got tired and went with one which wasn't too bad, but not flawless either)
- and the remainder are my current Biz campaign

I'm jealous of people who are already in their 3th or 4th campaign ;p

A message icon pops up near the top of the screen next to your other notifications. But it only appears for a short time period and there is no way to make it pause the game or become a pop-up message in the center of your screen. Hopefully Paradox will fix this in their next patch, because yes, it's a pain in the ass if you play at higher speed levels.
When you receive a call to arms, you then can either honor it or refuses it.
If only it were that easy.

Toma

France is really annoying to play. Every little conquest I do gets all countries around me up in arms for the next 10 years.

Kabouter

I don't like that historical conquests for Russia seem impossible, you basically have to game the system by creating/feeding/annexing vassals if you don't want to get fucked over by crazy overextension. And even that doesn't always work, the hordes in Central Asia give you no good vassalizing opportunities, and by the time you're that far, you've so many provinces that coring takes ages.

I don't like that historical conquests for Russia seem impossible, you basically have to game the system by creating/feeding/annexing vassals if you don't want to get fucked over by crazy overextension. And even that doesn't always work, the hordes in Central Asia give you no good vassalizing opportunities, and by the time you're that far, you've so many provinces that coring takes ages.

There should probably be some waves of decisions that gives Russia claims/cores on the steppes. And same continent colonizing needs to be reworked in terms of over-extension. Russia shouldn't get over-extension for its colonies just because there is a land connection, the same applies to a bunch of non-European countries.

Kabouter

There should probably be some waves of decisions that gives Russia claims/cores on the steppes. And same continent colonizing needs to be reworked in terms of over-extension. Russia shouldn't get over-extension for its colonies just because there is a land connection, the same applies to a bunch of non-European countries.

You get missions for huge amounts of claims. It's not enough. Problem is simply coring time ramps up so quickly.

Coring time should be affected by province tax value only. Maybe with a tech level based multiplier (like Naval maintenance).

I don't think they will change that. The increasing coring time corresponding to the number of provinces you own is one of the ways they try to stop snowballing.

But I don't really care for the "everything must be a core" design. I'd prefer cores to be hard to get, but over-extension scale to empire size. That way you could actually live with uncored territory, but that territory would be unproductive.

Kabouter

I don't think they will change that. The increasing coring time corresponding to the number of provinces you own is one of the ways they try to stop snowballing.

But I don't really care for the I find the "everything must be a core" design. I'd prefer cores to be hard to get, but over-extension scale to empire size. That way you could actually live with uncored territory, but that territory would be unproductive.

I would prefer overextension be proportional to the size of the empire as well. It makes no sense that three non-cores give me overextension and empire-wide instability as a massive ass Russia.

I would prefer overextension be proportional to the size of the empire as well. It makes no sense that three non-cores give me overextension and empire-wide instability as a massive ass Russia.

They may need to rethink overextension as a global modifier. It could cause even harsher penalties as they apply to the non-cored territory and/or fringes of your empire that are near them.

Top Bottom