• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2024 |OT| Tekken, Street Fighter, and Chill

Hrk69

Gold Member
lTl4NOq.jpeg

The Evolution Championship Series (Evo for short) is the largest and longest-running fighting game tournaments in the world.
During Evo's flagship event each year, players and fans gather to compete in open format tournaments that crowns World Champions.

At Evo, you'll see established champions face off against unknown rivals.
You'll find players who have only fought online building real-life friendships and rivalries.
You'll find people new to fighting games discovering a culture turning them into life-long fans.
Everything that makes fighting games special is at the heart of Evo, and it is all in one place at Evo 2024!

Schedule:

pPrRv42.jpeg

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
As someone who doesn't play fighting games and never beat Shao Khan, why do all the high level fights look so basic when there are so many flashy moves.

Bonus question, do any of the top ranked players just play and not pay attention to frame data etc

Bonus bonus question how can you seriously play against a the CPU in fighting games. How is the AI even coded? Just quicker reactions to what you do? Or any predictive/ML stuff going on?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As someone who doesn't play fighting games and never beat Shao Khan, why do all the high level fights look so basic when there are so many flashy moves.
Flashy moves usually need to be set up by landing a basic attack in order to not be punishable. Otherwise, the opponent can block the big move and counter-attack easily. So high level battles usually involve a lot of little pokes, zoning, feeling things out until an opening is exposed, then they will burn all their meter to make it count.

cormack12

Gold Member
Flashy moves usually need to be set up by landing a basic attack in order to not be punishable. Otherwise, the opponent can block the big move and counter-attack easily. So high level battles usually involve a lot of little pokes, zoning, feeling things out until an opening is exposed, then they will burn all their meter to make it count.
Is it possible to play these games reaction only do you think?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hmm, well, depends. Fighting game pros can usually get good at lots of different fighting games, and a lot of that is reactions and being able to read opponents' intentions etc. The execution requirements for moves vary a lot between games and even characters (think charge characters in street fighter compared to Ken). Reactions alone typically won't cut it but being gifted in that regard will certainly help.

nikos

Glad we have a thread!

Was going to make one but I'm still a tad salty about being permabanned from their main twitch channel in 2021, over a troll post that got lost in a sea of messages.

Figured it may have been auto-modded, so I appealed a year later and was denied. Probably by somebody who wasn't even born when I was playing fighting games. FGC has really changed over the years.

Anyway, I've been to EVO a couple of times and it was fun. Will catch what I can and probably at least watch Top 8.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Announcement wise, I'm hoping for:
MVC Collection shadow drop
Arc Systems One Piece Fighterz (yeah, I live in hope)
Solid 2XKO news. Release date?

Edmund

Which players are ya'll rooting for?

Street Fighter 6 - Xian, Tokido, Kakeru, Daigo.

Tekken 8 - Knee, JDCR.

Neff

It's equal parts basic fighting game knowledge and reaction, and you won't go far without either. You can hop into a brand new game and do relatively well solely with reaction, so long as you comprehend the core concepts of the genre- block beats attack, attack beats throw, and throw beats block, along with a general understanding that any move typically will be equally as good as it is bad- if it hits hard, it'll leave you vulnerable if it doesn't land or is blocked, whereas a jab won't do much damage but gives you the chance to immediately block or follow up with something else. As pointed out, skillful play is a matter of spacing, poking, baiting, and getting a feel for weaknesses in your opponent's play style. Your best moves aren't necessarily the big flashy ones, but the ones which allow you to control the flow of the fight, condition your opponent, and turn the tide in the right circumstances.

Crazy times we live in. This game is so ugly and broken but I played the absolute shit out of it back in the day.

Last edited:

Edmund

I'm gonna scream if there's gonna be a Capcom Vs Snk 2 remastered with rollback netcode. That was my favourite fighting game of all time when I was a kid.

near

Gold Member

Maximilian and friends streaming Garou 2, it's looking pretty good. I want to see the full roster already.

Looking at videos online, it seems that there are a lot of arcade cabinets and lots of people playing them.

Is this something that has been happening a lot in the recent years or is something that got “better” with the Sony acquisition of EVO?

nikos

Looking at videos online, it seems that there are a lot of arcade cabinets and lots of people playing them.

Is this something that has been happening a lot in the recent years or is something that got “better” with the Sony acquisition of EVO?

Probably that Sony money. I went in 2011 and 2013 and don't remember it being a thing.

Klosshufvud

This whole event feels like one big ad. I'm so sick of hearing Chipotle between every match. There are so many better tourneys.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Will Arslan Ash take home Tekken this year? I’m super impressed to see Pakistan rise up in Tekken. What are they doing differently?

NRS must make games just for SonicFox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom