• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Blackwater Guards Sentenced to Long Prison Terms in 2007 Killings of Civilians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was tempted to bump the thread I made about Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, but I thought this deserved its own topic and I didn't feel like bringing the book one from the death.

NY Times article

WASHINGTON — One by one, four former Blackwater security contractors wearing blue jumpsuits and leg irons stood before a federal judge on Monday and spoke publicly for the first time since a deadly 2007 shooting in Iraq.

The men had been among several private American security guards who fired into Baghdad’s crowded Nisour Square on Sept. 16, 2007, and last October they were convicted of killing 14 unarmed Iraqis in what prosecutors called a wartime atrocity. Yet on Monday, as they awaited sentences that they knew would send them to prison for most if not all of their lives, they defiantly asserted their innocence.

The judge, Royce C. Lamberth, strongly disagreed, sentencing Mr. Slatten to life in prison and handing 30-year sentences to the three others. A fifth former guard, Jeremy P. Ridgeway of California, had pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and testified against his former colleagues. He has not been sentenced but testified that he hoped to avoid any prison time.

The ruling ended a long investigation into the Nisour Square shooting, a signature, gruesome moment in the Iraq war that highlighted America’s reliance on private contractors to maintain security in combat zones.

No such company was more powerful than Blackwater, which won more than $1 billion in government contracts. Its employees, most of them military veterans, protected American diplomats overseas and became enmeshed in the Central Intelligence Agency’s clandestine counterterrorism operations. Its founder, Erik Prince, was a major donor to the Republican Party.

In Iraq, Blackwater was perceived as so powerful that its employees could kill anyone and get away with it, said Mohammed Hafedh Abdulrazzaq Kinani, whose 9-year-old son, Ali, was killed in Nisour Square.

“Blackwater had power like Saddam Hussein,” Mr. Kinani said in a long, emotional appeal to the judge on Monday. “The power comes from the United States.” He added later: “Today we see who will win. The law? Or Blackwater?”

Nearly 100 supporters crowded the large courtroom, many of them wearing Blackwater shirts. Friends, relatives and former military friends spoke on behalf of the four men, describing them, through tears, as patriotic, small-town men who deeply loved their families and their country.

Judge Lamberth, a former captain in the Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, was also moved. He choked up as he described the defendants as “good young men who’ve never been in trouble, who served their country.” But he said the wild, unprovoked shooting “just cannot ever be condoned by a court.”

The sentences were a long-fought diplomatic victory for the United States, which asked a skeptical Iraqi government and its people to be patient and trust the American criminal justice system. That faith was tested many times over the past eight years as the case suffered several setbacks, many of which were of the government’s own making.

At trial, witnesses said that the shooting began almost immediately after a convoy of armored Blackwater trucks rolled into the traffic circle. The contractors said they were shot at by Iraqi insurgents, and returned fire. But dozens of Iraqis and several of their former Blackwater colleagues testified that the shooting was unprovoked.

“There was a lady. She was screaming and weeping about her son and asking for help,” Sarhan Deab Abdul Moniem, an Iraqi traffic officer, testified. He showed jurors how she had cradled her dead son’s head on her shoulder. “I asked her to open up the door so I could help her. But she was paying attention only to her son.”

Other witnesses described a mother who pushed her daughter to safety, only to be killed herself. One man was pounded with bullets while he lay dying, unarmed, in the street. Another was shot while he had his hands up.

“I saw people huddled down in their cars, trying to shield their children with their bodies,” Adam Frost, a former Blackwater contractor, said in key testimony against his one-time colleagues.

“The United States has shown that regardless of the nationality of the victims, it values justice for all,” Mr. Martin said. “Even when that means that the American who committed the crime must serve time.”

Lawyers for the guards apologized to Mr. Kinani and his family, saying that their son and the other victims were the sad consequences of urban warfare. “What happened here was a tragedy and to the extent I can apologize for anything, I do,” said Thomas G. Connolly, a lawyer for Mr. Slatten. “Nobody intended to kill your son.”

While the prosecution ends with the sentences, the legal case is sure to continue for years. The case raised many new legal issues, including whether State Department contractors are covered by American criminal law when operating overseas.

The 30-year sentences, while significant, could have been much longer. For using machine guns to commit violent crimes, they faced mandatory minimum 30-year sentences under a law passed during the crack cocaine epidemic. Prosecutors had wanted the judge to hand down sentences of 50 years or more.

Some degree of justice for the victims, at least. Meanwhile, Erik Prince continues to enjoy his millions while helping Chinese corporations to exploit Africa's natural resources when he's not training new mercenary armies for his UAE clients.

Skyzard

Banned
I remember reading one of the guards had to put a gun to the other one to order him to stop firing.

At least one got done. Finally.

They tried to scare off investigators (death threats to state department people) just weeks before the incident even happened.
The US state department sided with blackwater and told investigators to leave the country.

I heard a lot of the much worse stuff got pulled from youtube but here's a compilation of them driving about (quite disturbing warning) that they recorded. Shows their mentality/training.

Xe4

Banned
I thought they were already found guilty a while back? Well whatever, screw them. Glad to see these kind of actions finally getting punished, even if it should have happened years ago.

Arkeband

Banned
“Nobody intended to kill your son.”

I'm pretty sure they're being put in prison because they... did intend to?

I saw a video, I dunno if it was part of the Collateral Murder leak, but it clearly showed Blackwater guys running over a woman on the sidewalk while driving like dickheads.

coleco

What a disaster the whole invasion has been and this is probably just the tip of what has been going on in there. Quite a few high level politicians should be tried for crimes against humanity.

jmood88

Judge Lamberth, a former captain in the Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, was also moved. He choked up as he described the defendants as “good young men who’ve never been in trouble, who served their country.” But he said the wild, unprovoked shooting “just cannot ever be condoned by a court.”

This is bullshit. They're fucking racist murderers.

Lawyers for the guards apologized to Mr. Kinani and his family, saying that their son and the other victims were the sad consequences of urban warfare. “What happened here was a tragedy and to the extent I can apologize for anything, I do,” said Thomas G. Connolly, a lawyer for Mr. Slatten. “Nobody intended to kill your son.”
This makes my blood fucking boil.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nearly 100 supporters crowded the large courtroom, many of them wearing Blackwater shirts. Friends, relatives and former military friends spoke on behalf of the four men, describing them, through tears, as patriotic, small-town men who deeply loved their families and their country.

Who just happened to also enjoy shooting people.

Trojita

How far back have we been using private security firms in terms of wars? First gulf war? Vietnam?

In history? 1300 BC or before that in unrecorded history.

The US? Pinkerton was a huge company in the 1800's.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Another article mentions that these guys said they did it "in retaliation for 9/11".

Thanks Dick Cheney and crew for directly lying over and over and over to gullible Americans that Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

I remember being on GAF on the lead up to the Iraq war, constantly correcting people every page that Iraq had zero ties to 9/11 - Al Qaeda, but every new page someone else chimed in that there was a connection. Because of this asshole going on the news and lying about it CONSTANTLY.

Why the FUCK isn't that guy in jail.

Another article mentions that these guys said they did it "in retaliation for 9/11".

Thanks Dick Cheney and crew for directly lying over and over and over to gullible Americans that Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

I remember being on GAF on the lead up to the Iraq war, constantly correcting people every page that Iraq had zero ties to 9/11 - Al Qaeda, but every new page someone else chimed in that there was a connection. Because of this asshole going on the news and lying about it CONSTANTLY.

White and rich.

bush_mission_accomplished.jpg

The irony is really painful.

Has the US always used private contractors for war?

Meanwhile Prince and all of his higher ups kick back and enjoy some shisha in Abu Dhabi. These guys deserved to be put away but it's sickening how the elite are untouchable.

Trojita

I remember seeing pictures of the guys when they were going to court. The one guy, I hate to say this by looks, looks like a psychopath.

I'm obviously talking about the guy in the middle. I'm sure the rest also have problems judging by what they did.

JgWHNHx.jpg

FGFOCyj.jpg

Also if you are wondering why the rest of the guys are heavy, defense attorneys for cases like this usually have their clients pudge up so they less aggressive and more "jolly". This was done for George Zimmerman as well.

I used to hang out in chatrooms around 2002-2003 and I remember one guy saying "I wonder what will happen if we go there and there really aren't any WMDs..." At that point, the scaremongering gotten so ridiculous that we said fuck it, lets really find out if WMDs are even there. 9/11 connections were fabricated to make the sale easier.

Trojita

But our electoral college put Bush in. Our electoral college that's defined by our laws to elect people we voted for.

I don't think we can blame the majority of our population for the faults in the Electoral College or the Judicial System overreaching their authority in picking a President.

ciridesu

The re-emergence of PMCs is interesting, and I'm not completely sure what to think of it. These guys are all mostly ex-marine/army/special forces and hired globally (not just the U.S.) and the firms employing them are growing exceptionally fast. The issue of 'who controls them' is going to be intriguing, and I'll definitely put the book that you quoted to my shopping list!

Nivash

I don't think we can blame the majority of our population for the faults in the Electoral College or the Judicial System overreaching their authority in picking a President.

No, but you can sure as hell blame them for re-electing him.

524px-ElectoralCollege2004.svg.png

Arkeband

Banned
I remember seeing pictures of the guys when they were going to court. The one guy, I hate to say this by looks, looks like a psychopath.

I'm obviously talking about the guy in the middle. I'm sure the rest also have problems judging by what they did.

JgWHNHx.jpg

FGFOCyj.jpg

Also if you are wondering why the rest of the guys are heavy, defense attorneys for cases like this usually have their clients pudge up so they less aggressive and more "jolly". This was done for George Zimmerman as well.

I'm a little wary of calling people psychopaths just by what they look like, although that guy does look like they transplanted Karl Pilkington's head on a much larger man's frame.

Takuan

I'm a little wary of calling people psychopaths just by what they look like, although that guy does look like they transplanted Karl Pilkington's head on a much larger man's frame.
I thought the same. Looks like a meaner Karl.

True 'Mericans.
Hope they rot in prison, they're like corrupt cops.
Seems these guys are actually being held accountable. Can't say the same for bad cops, but given the increased coverage you have to think America will eventually get there.

i almost have to give the bush admin credit for making the unequivocal murder of civilians in the name of profit a banality

homo sacer all up in this bitch

Prine

Banned
What really gets me, is how indefensible this is and yet due to them being military how hard people try tp remove accountability with explanations like "serving his country","Its war", "people die" etc which gives them a free pass. How can one be good and commit these acts? Theyd be up in arms if someone did the same to them. Its sickening.

What really gets me, is how indefensible this is and yet due to them being military how hard people try tp remove accountability with explanations like "serving his country","Its war", "people die" etc which gives them a free pass. How can one be good and commit these acts? Theyd be up in arms if someone did the same to them. Its sickening.

They are actually held more accountable because they are a business and a gov't contractor.

The DoD can't absolve any blame for hiring mercs. They aren't above the rules of engagement.

I really hope this leads to fewer PMCs.

In history? 1300 BC or before that in unrecorded history.

The US? Pinkerton was a huge company in the 1800's.

The Pinkertons weren't used as wartime mercs, they were private investigators and legbreakers/security guards. Modern PMCs come from British SAS founders Sir David Stirling and John Woodhouse, who in 1965 created WatchGuard International. The US didn't start using civilian contractors until 1988, with the passing of the Logistics Civil Augmentation Program (LOGCAP) in 1985, mostly for engineering, advisory/training of local forces, and "peacebuilding" (glorified law enforcement and/or security guards in best cases, propping up unstable governments at worst). I think this recent Iraq invasion was the first time we've ever deployed PMCs to this extent in an area we had direct conflict in.

But they're patriotic small-town men who love their families.

So much so they leave their country, small towns, and families, for months at a time to live in a bombed out Hellhole where they're shot at. For money. :p

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They are actually held more accountable because they are a business and a gov't contractor.

The DoD can't absolve any blame for hiring mercs. They aren't above the rules of engagement.

I really hope this leads to fewer PMCs.

Actually, the DoS made its damn best to ensure that mercenaries were shielded from any kind of prosecution, since companies such as Blackwater were considered critical for the war effort due to the agressive and well engineered privatization of the American army. They lived and made business in a bizarre, lawless universe where they didn't have to follow any kind of code besides their contracts. There was zero accountability for years.

They were quite literally untouchable by any kind of authority, to the point that a drunk Blackwater employee killed one of the bodyguards of the then Iraqi vicepresident and nothing happened to him. Blackwater scooted him away and released him from his contract. Soon enough he was back in the region, working for a different PMC.

It was because of this situation of impunity that Blackwater and other PMCs went out of control. Mercenaries were abusing and killing people just because they could, and when shit turned south, they'd run towards the nearest military post to save their hides.

It took literally hundreds of lives and incredible amounts of political grease to be able to prosecute these killers. That they were finally sentenced for what they did is a triumph for all the people who believe in justice.

Actually, the DoD made its damn best to ensure that mercenaries were shielded from any kind of prosecution, since companies such as Blackwater were considered critical for the war effort due to the agressive and well engineered privatization of the American army. They lived and made business in a bizarre, lawless universe where they didn't have to follow any kind of code besides their contracts. There was zero accountability for years.

They were quite literally untouchable by any kind of authority, to the point that a drunk Blackwater employee killed one of the bodyguards of the then Iraqi vicepresident and nothing happened to him. Blackwater scooted him away and released him from his contract. Soon enough he was back in the region, working for a different PMC.

It was because of this situation of impunity that Blackwater and other PMCs went out of control. Mercenaries were abusing and killing people just because they could, and when shit turned south, they'd run towards the nearest military post to save their hides.

It took literally hundreds of lives and incredible amounts of political grease to be able to prosecute these killers. That they were finally sentenced for what they did is a triumph for all the people who believe in justice.

I had no idea that the DoD would sign off on protecting the PMC contractors over the rules of engagement. Rather a sick bunch of sociopaths in that office, I'd bet.

Hearing that makes me angry that PMCs have replaced our standing army as the first response to global conflict.

I understood cutting the defense budget down to pieces was important, but not at the expense of law and order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom