• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Expeditions: Conquistador |OT|

30StMy8.jpg

Platform: PC / Mac / Linux
Available: Gamersgate / Steam / GoG / Desura / Greenman Gaming

Official Page

Expeditions: Conquistador is a tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure. Conquistador is set in a rarely visited part of history which is rife with mystery, political intrigue, and good old-fashioned violence.

You will take on the role of a Spanish Conquistador in South America around 1520. Select the members of your expedition and explore campaign maps based on the actual topological maps of Hispaniola and Mexico. Through intricately branching dialogue, you will engage with the characters and situations that you encounter across these uncharted areas, and when it’s time to spill blood, a tactical combat system of great depth and brutality will let you control your individual troops in battle.

Combat is intimate and detailed, and failure has great consequences. Every expedition member has a face, a past, a set of personality traits, and of course a combat role – their morale will change depending on your decisions, they will chime in when you’re weighing your options, and if they fall in battle, their injuries will carry over to the world map, where they must be treated by your doctors until they’re back on their feet. Should you fail to treat your expedition members, they will die and be gone for good.

Choice and consequence is central to the play experience of Conquistador. As the leader of the expedition, you will face difficult decisions about the use of your troops and your resources, as well as how to engage with the factions of the savage New World. Will you defy history and be a diplomatic envoy of peace? Or will you be a ruthless conqueror determined to lay all of the Aztec Empire at your feet?

Screenshots:

Videos:

Launch Trailer
Gameplay Trailer

---

Thought this would be a good time to throw down a thread on a recent Danish indie effort. Really liking this one. It's a great character-centric historical SRPG with great writing, deep mechanics and one of the best soundtracks I've heard in ages. This game really does encapsulate the incredible risk of venturing into the unknown, with your party at the whim of not only physical hardships, but the psychological ramifications of morale and the hierarchy of command and choice.

It won't blow the world away with graphics, but it has production and gameplay values punching well about its weight. Highly recommended.

Titireasca

Neo Member
Lots of reviews in the wild already and most are positive. I have picked this one up at launch and played it a few hours and I must say it's surprisingly good. Highly recommended.

Lots of reviews in the wild already and most are positive. I have picked this one up at launch and played it a few hours and I must say it's surprisingly good. Highly recommended.

Good man. I think the writing is what was most immediately apparent that these guys are a talented bunch. Quite rich.

I want to buy it. But.... but... I am apprehensive for some reason.

It's not an immediate dazzler, but it's pretty damn epic. In an Aguirre: Wrath of God way. Good tactical engine with all the technical trappings you'd expect from a Japanese SRPG. Lots of good flanking buffs, abilities - albeit, good and realistic - and the classic Ironman mode. And speaking of Aguirre, that's the name of the insane mode. Fitting.

Hari Seldon

Yeah I picked this up too, one of those games that you start playing and then look up at the clock and it is 5 hours later.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Never heard of this, but looks really interesting. Will pick it up over the weekend!

I picked it up and like it. I like the overworld and camping mechanics. There are also injuries your party can suffer but I'm not sure about permadeath.

Quite good overall. :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's not an immediate dazzler, but it's pretty damn epic. In an Aguirre: Wrath of God way. Good tactical engine with all the technical trappings you'd expect from a Japanese SRPG. Lots of good flanking buffs, abilities - albeit, good and realistic - and the classic Ironman mode. And speaking of Aguirre, that's the name of the insane mode. Fitting.

36896218.jpg

Maybe I'll grab it next week. It seems to be the type of game I want to dedicate a certain amount of time to. Judging by my lack of time available within the foreseeable week, I kind of avoided it off the bat regardless.

Hari Seldon

It also has some very old school mechanics. Like on the first island, one of my crew gets kidnapped, and the quest gives you a time limit to find them, but only a description of like "Somewhere in the mountains to the NW". Very cool.

I picked it up and like it. I like the overworld and camping mechanics. There are also injuries your party can suffer but I'm not sure about permadeath.

Quite good overall. :)

My inept first run in Ironman mode had wounded troops degenerate from lacerations and broken bones to corpses after a jungle adventure went wrong. My hunting party wasn't turning up with much, and what was caught only fed a few. Morale spiralled and after the deaths of some good men and women, I was told my soldiers were abandoning me.

I luckily talked my way out of it and was given another chance. However, the misadventure turned even more dire with further starvation and death, and thus my journey ended; left with the emaciated bodies of fallen conquistadores and their still-living comrades mutinying and disappearing into the jungle.

Permadeath can be switched on in the options menu, which is where you can also configure difficulty and other gameplay modifiers.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It also has some very old school mechanics. Like on the first island, one of my crew gets kidnapped, and the quest gives you a time limit to find them, but only a description of like "Somewhere in the mountains to the NW". Very cool.
Thanks, sold.

My inept first run in Ironman mode had wounded troops degenerate from lacerations and broken bones to corpses after a jungle adventure went wrong. My hunting party wasn't turning up with much, and what was caught only fed a few. Morale spiralled and after the deaths of some good men and women, I was told my soldiers were abandoning me.

My first Ironman game is looking to end up in very similar fashion. I wouldn't want to play the game in any other way though.

Lost all of last weekend to this. It's a bummer that some of the purely character night events can repeat (Bonita telling me about herself yet again), but thats about the only real gripe I have. At first I was annoyed by the restrictive camera, but once you get exploring it works perfect.

Rom1944

This game is loads of fun at first i thougth that i made a huge mistake buying it because of its clunky map interface but when you start to learn to play is awesome it has the feel of Pirates!+jagged alliance its a shame that they did not make enough maney in the kickstart to make an incan campaign too.

My first Ironman game is looking to end up in very similar fashion. I wouldn't want to play the game in any other way though.

Nice! Somehow, it just feels right to lead my Spaniards to their doom at this point. Feels very authentic to have woe and misery beset the party.

EDIT: How're you finding the tactical combat, Frag? Being a veteran of such things and all.

Lost all of last weekend to this. It's a bummer that some of the purely character night events can repeat (Bonita telling me about herself yet again), but thats about the only real gripe I have. At first I was annoyed by the restrictive camera, but once you get exploring it works perfect.

We might very well see updates! I hope so.

This game is loads of fun at first i thougth that i made a huge mistake buying it because of its clunky map interface but when you start to learn to play is awesome it has the feel of Pirates!+jagged alliance its a shame that they did not make enough maney in the kickstart to make an incan campaign too.

Pirates + Jagged Alliance sounds about right! I'd also take any expansion they care to make if E:C is profitable.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it has the feel of Pirates!+jagged alliance

ok, I'm buying this right now.

Chronoja

I was waiting for an OT on this game to see whether or not it was reviewing well. Looks pretty good from the gameplay footage I've seen. Was intending to buy it but other sales have been popping up left and right stealing the attention away from it's comparatively high price point.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Someone throw this into the June Indie thread too please. We really should archive all good games in there.

Corto

I'm just waiting on a sale to jump on this. Too many games to play as it is, but it's definitely on the "to buy" list.

Unfortunately, that review was written by ironyuri, who is objectively agreed to have the worst taste of everyone on the site. I would check the main thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-conquistador-discussion-thread.80130/page-8 for a more balanced discussion of its pros and cons.

That review notwithstanding, I think the folks in here can vouch for the game. Looking forward to getting home and playing a bit this eve. It's an intoxicating little creation.

shuri

Banned
I just picked this up for the mac as my gaming pc is DEAD AS FUCK. What a fun game, it reminds me of oldschool strategy titles on the PC from the '90. I really like all the dialogs and events. Last night one of my guy got poisoned by a spider and eventually died as I had no idea how to cure him, haha. I also stopped some sort of voodoo ritual at a temple that involved severed heads of the eldery by using diplomacy.

My first fight ended in a dramatic bloodshed with my entire crew getting wounded.

The game is great!

FACE

Banned
This game fried Ziets' CPU

EygTy0t.png

I bought it at launch, but haven't played much of it yet. I'm glad to see positive feedback here and on the Codex.

Durante

I completely missed the release of this game -- that really shouldn't happen (I blame GAF or god). It sounds like something I would enjoy. Any updated impressions or closing thoughts? Or should I just fork over the €20 already and try it?

Labadal

I completely missed the release of this game -- that really shouldn't happen (I blame GAF or god). It sounds like something I would enjoy. Any updated impressions or closing thoughts? Or should I just fork over the €20 already and try it?

It's a bit rough around the edges but I wouldn't say €20 is an outrageous asking price for this. (I have yet to beat it and I got it for $15.) Just know that it has been on sale more than once and I can see it going on sale during the Steam Winter Sale.

Top Bottom