• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extas1s: Halo Infinite 2 was in development using Slipspace engine along with Project Tatanka but got canceled

Draugoth

Gold Member
343 Industries began work on Halo Infinite 2 in the Slipspace engine. Development continued until new leadership took over in late 2022 and that new team decided to switch to Unreal Engine 5, forcing the creative team to transition to the new engine."

"Eventually, Microsoft laid off the entire creative team in January 2023 due to cutbacks and the project seemingly failing to move forward. Halo Infinite 2 was being developed alongside Project Tatanka, but both were ultimately cancelled to make way for a "reboot" or "new direction" for the franchise."

gothmog

Gold Member
Not surprising and lines up with the Tatanka rumors. 343 needed to end. Hopefully they don't hang everything on UE5 saving the day.

Fake

Gold Member
header.jpg

RCX

Wondering if they're going to retcon Infinites story (what little there was) as a prologue for the next one.

"Atriox died on the way back to his home planet"

Would honestly rather they just left everyone a robust forge mode to mess around with and make cool mods and then didn't make anything for 15 years. Then take another swing at it with completely new people.

clarky

Gold Member
Would honestly rather they just left everyone a robust forge mode to mess around with and make cool mods and then didn't make anything for 15 years. Then take another swing at it with completely new people.

Thats pretty much where we are at now?

gothmog

Gold Member
Tatanka was rumored to be on UE5 though.
Yes it was. The UE announcement wasn't that surprising given the rumors. Honestly the problems to me always seemed to be management and not technology. I'm happy they're going to UE5, but if it's the same old 343 leadership style with a new skin then prepare to be disappointed. I really hope they learned from this.

RCX

Thats pretty much where we are at now?
Yep, they should just leave it well alone for a lot longer.

Halo used to be....well....Halo, the juggernaut franchise! Now it's a shadow of itself and just throwing more entries at it isn't going to fix that. They need to wait a significant period of time for the mistakes to fade out and the appetite for it to return.

clarky

Gold Member
Yep, they should just leave it well alone for a lot longer.

Halo used to be....well....Halo, the juggernaut franchise! Now it's a shadow of itself and just throwing more entries at it isn't going to fix that. They need to wait a significant period of time for the mistakes to fade out and the appetite for it to return.
The time it took to them release Infinite you might get your wish, what was that 7-8 years between 5 and HI?

They need to target next gen only for the next mainline release and blow the doors off. Or not bother at all imo.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Infinite 2 cancelled, Infinite on life support. It’s a good day. Sweep 5 and Infinite into the trash bin where they belong, Microsoft.
I liked warzone and the MP in 5. everything else around it was shite mind.

I quite liked the MP in infinite also, shame the couldn't support it properly.

Each to their own.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Sad about the BR mode but good for them on UE5 and maybe a reboot of Halo.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Halo needs to fix its "one and done" campaign. It's crazy how many resources are invested into that when people play it for 20 hours and never pick it up again.

clarky

Gold Member
Halo needs to fix its "one and done" campaign. It's crazy how many resources are invested into that when people play it for 20 hours and never pick it up again.

A decent Halo campaign isnt one and done though. I still play CE and 3 to this day, lots of people do.

I know what you are getting at though. They tried the GAAS route with campaign expansions planned and they couldn't manage it. Lets see if they can walk this time before they try to run.

RCX

The time it took to them release Infinite you might get your wish, what was that 7-8 years between 5 and HI?

They need to target next gen only for the next mainline release and blow the doors off. Or not bother at all imo.
You're right as far as the timeline goes. But would MS be that patient? They have COD now and may not be as forgiving as they were in the past.

Not that they'd cancel it and kill the studio but they certainly aren't against sending games out to the market before they're ready.

Halo Studios has 4 years maximum IMO.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A decent Halo campaign isnt one and done though. I still play CE and 3 to this day, lots of people do.
I bet you it is according to their metrics. Halo CE was from a different era. That's not the blueprint going forward. The old highwater mark is now the low water mark.
I know what you are getting at though. They tried the GAAS route with campaign expansions planned and they couldn't manage it. Lets see if they can walk this time before they try to run.
The GAAS updates weren't the issue. The fact that Halo Infinites campaign wasn't fun to play for longer than 20 or 30 hours was the issue. No developer can generate content at that kind of pace.

It needs to be more of a repeatable sandbox. Then you can pump out content every 3 or 6 months and it'll float.

clarky

Gold Member
I bet you it is according to their metrics. Halo CE was from a different era. That's not the blueprint going forward. The old highwater mark is now the low water mark.

The GAAS updates weren't the issue. The fact that Halo Infinites campaign wasn't fun to play for longer than 20 or 30 hours was the issue. No developer can generate content at that kind of pace.

It needs to be more of a repeatable sandbox. Then you can pump out content every 3 or 6 months and it'll float.
What do you mean by repeatable sandbox?

If you simply mean a sandbox that can be played repeatedly then thats what good Halo already is?

Last edited:
I'm curious what Tatanka was supposed to be (likely another Halo).

I'm all for studios taking established ips in different directions / taking smart risks - but then they run the risks of upsetting long term nostalgic fans; so then Devs have their hands tied and can't change too much...

They really should have called the studio something else so they could make Halo + other things.

clarky

Gold Member
For me, it's a bad strategy, it's fine if talented or junior devs love Halo but I'd imagine the majority of employees don't want to be locked into pretty much the same project all the time.
Nah i disagree.

You apply for a job at Rockstar you know exactly what youll be working on for example. These folk know what they are getting into, nobody is forcing them to work there and make Halo.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do you mean by repeatable sandbox?

If you simply mean a sandbox that can be played repeatedly then thats what good Halo already is?
It's not.

Halo Infinite got boring to play after hour 20 for the vast majority of people. It was a small sandbox, filled with limited toys, and more hard cat poo in it than we'd all like.

They need to make a game that encourages the majority of it's players to play it longer and more times.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
It says they are transferring the game to UE5. So it could still be pretty far along. It's not like they are scrapping everything besides the possible woke or bad story.

clarky

Gold Member
It's not.

Halo Infinite got boring to play after hour 20 for the vast majority of people. It was a small sandbox, filled with limited toys, and more hard cat poo in it than we'd all like.

They need to make a game that encourages the majority of it's players to play it longer and more times.
I said good Halo. I dont regard Halo infinites campaign as good Halo.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I said good Halo. I dont regard Halo infinites campaign as good Halo.
I don't think there is "good Halo" in 2024. It's all aged pretty poorly. That framework doesn't work today.

Edit: Obviously some Halo campaign have aged a bit better than other.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I don't think there is "good Halo" in 2024. It's all aged pretty poorly. That framework doesn't work today.
Hard disagree there fella.

Like i said the OG Bungie stuff is still great fun. They are apparently remaking CE, if done right it will sell a ton.

Edit Also the framework doesn't work today? Rubbish. COD comes out in 2 weeks and is basically the Halo formula with bells on: Campaign & Arena multiplayer.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Wonder if they will finally do local coop again?

Doubt it. Local coop is a thing of the past for most.

Times change, there will always be a vocal minority that screams for it but its a feature most wouldn't use anymore.

Thats my take pulled out of my ass anyways

BlackTron

Don't worry about finishing 2 guys, you can just plan to finish it later, and then have no choice but to make 3 when it fails because it wasn't finished.

Top Bottom