• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme coaster rips limbs off dummies; terrifies fighter pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like fun

A new roller coaster at a British theme park is so extreme that crash-test dummies returned from a test ride missing multiple limbs. The wild ride prompted management to enlist former air force fighter pilots for a second opinion.

One of the flesh-and-blood testers declared The Swarm at Thorpe Park in Surrey to be "gut-wrenching."

"I am a self-confessed adrenaline junkie but even as a pilot used to G-force there were some gut-wrenching moments, and I have to admit the near miss element is eye-watering - you really do feel as if you are going to crash into the structures,'" pilot Mark Cutmore told the Metro.

The ride is a "winged" coaster – a variety in which some or all of the riders are in floorless seats with their legs dangling free. The innovation is fairly new in Europe and brand new to the USA. The first three winged coasters are set to debut at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., in late March, and at HersheyPark in Pennsylvania and Six Flags Great America in Chicago in May.

Thorpe Park's coaster hits speeds of up to 62 mph as it traverses a post-apocalyptic scene. News of The Swarm's unfortunate effects on the crash-test dummies could be considered fortunate for the theme park, given that it's generated buzz. And having former fighter pilots call the ride "gut-wrenching" is the sort of review that's bound to get coaster nerds giddy with anticipation.

HersheyPark's new Skyrush winged coaster soars to 200 feet at speeds of up to 75 mph – faster than Thorpe Park's. But HersheyPark spokeswoman Mindy Bianca says there won't be torn limbs – artificial or not – on their watch.

"It may be smart marketing on (Thorpe Park's) end. But that's not the message we want to be giving. We're all about safety," she says. "But if the goal is to get people talking, they have."

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinat...off-dummies-terrifies-fighter-pilots/634599/1

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The part where you almost run into stuff has got to be stuff of nightmares.

Jenga

Banned
accompanying thread months/years later: "1 year old baby loses limbs on coaster, "obama's fault" santorum says"

Personally I think there is something very wrong with people who are excited to try this ride. Those who watch horror films as well, these people are nuts! Those YouTube videos that have an image pop up at the end? They ruin my entire week.

ant1532

Banned
coasters-circuitboard.jpg

The ride is a "winged" coaster – a variety in which some or all of the riders are in floorless seats with their legs dangling free. The innovation is fairly new in Europe and brand new to the USA. The first three winged coasters are set to debut at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., in late March, and at HersheyPark in Pennsylvania and Six Flags Great America in Chicago in May.

Do your damn research, journalist person. That's not what makes a winged coaster unique, most major amusement parks already have floorless or flying coasters where the legs dangle. Winged are unique because the connection to the track is in the middle or the side of the row of seats, unlike most floorless or flying coasters where its on the bottom or top of the seats, respectively.

Whats the new coaster thats going up at six flags? I'm gonna check that one out.

Edit: Its called the "X-Flight" or something and they're replacing the Iron Wolf with it. Thank God, the Iron wolf was a deathtrap and gave me back pain for months after riding it. STanding coasters are idiotic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
accompanying thread months/years later: "1 year old baby loses limbs on coaster, "obama's fault" santorum says"

I know you're joking, but I was coming in here to say "there's gonna be real limbs torn off in the future" and bookmark my post and say "I TOLD YOU SO!" when it happens.

This seems to be a really bad idea waiting to happen. Even with safety standards and all that something will give eventually, I feel.

Theres a point where rollercoasters lapse from fun to un-pleasurable nausea-inducing for me. This is probably the latter for me

When I ride one of these winged coasters...you better believe my legs will be tucked as far up against the seat as possible. Limb loss at theme park is now my new shark at the beach type phobia.

agrajag

Banned
Do your damn research, journalist person. That's not what makes a winged coaster unique, most major amusement parks already have floorless or flying coasters where the legs dangle. Winged are unique because the connection to the track is in the middle or the side of the row of seats, unlike most floorless or flying coasters where its on the bottom or top of the seats, respectively.

I was gonna say, Mantu at Bush Gardens Tampa is floorless, and they had it for years.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
News of The Swarm's unfortunate effects on the crash-test dummies could be considered fortunate for the theme park, given that it's generated buzz

This just in : the new cherry coke will give you aids, financial analysts consider this fortunate news for the Coca Cola conglomerate whom they believe will soar on the stock market.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

It's also not the first wing coaster series. X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain and a couple of coasters in Japan hold that distinction.

To make X2 even better, the cars spin as you ride. By far my favorite roller coaster.

This just in : the new cherry coke will give you aids, financial analysts consider this fortunate news for the Coca Cola conglomerate whom they believe will soar on the stock market.
People want to be scared when they ride a coaster. Having this stigma attached to it definitely generates buzz, but people know deep down it would never be opened if it was unsafe. This is a publicity stunt, nothing more.

Coaster looks pretty good. Alton's new coaster looks like it'll be great too. Its been a while.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Non Blackpool theme parks lol. Blackpool is were its at, hit the pleasure beach then go on a binde drinking spree meeting people from all over the uk. Awesome bars/clubs also

Non Blackpool theme parks lol. Blackpool is were its at, hit the pleasure beach then go on a binde drinking spree meeting people from all over the uk. Awesome bars/clubs also

Never been!

Thorpe Park and Alton Towers are good though - Thorpe has improved a hell of a lot in the past decade in terms of big rides too.

Shame I'm too scared to ride most of them.

Never been!

Thorpe Park and Alton Towers are good though - Thorpe has improved a hell of a lot in the past decade in terms of big rides too.

Shame I'm too scared to ride most of them.

I believe the correct social norm in this situation is to call you a sissy, and then cluck like a chicken.

this design sucks. loops look scary but are kinda boring on coasters.

Did you not read the link? Because of the drop, the loops would make you pull 10g each time...

The Euthanasia Coaster would kill its passengers through prolonged cerebral hypoxia, or insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain.[1] The ride's seven inversions would inflict 10 g on its passengers for 60 seconds – causing g-force related symptoms starting with gray out through tunnel vision to black out and eventually g-LOC (g-force induced loss of consciousness).[3] Depending on the tolerance of an individual passenger to g-forces, the first or second inversion would cause cerebral anoxia, rendering the passengers brain dead.[citation needed] Subsequent inversions would serve as insurance against unintentional survival of particularly robust passengers.[3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom