• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme coaster rips limbs off dummies; terrifies fighter pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pfffft. That ride is for babies. This is where it is at:

iQaAX.jpg

The design starts with a steep-angled lift to the 510-metre (1,670 ft) top, which would take two minutes for the 24-passenger train to reach.[1] From there, a 500-metre (1,600 ft) drop would take the train to 360 kilometres per hour (220 mph), close to its terminal velocity, before flattening out and speeding into the first of its seven slightly clothoid inversions.[3] Each inversion would have a smaller diameter than the one before in order to inflict 10 g to passengers while the train loses speed. After a sharp right-hand turn the train would enter a straight, where unloading of bodies and loading of passengers could take place.[3]
[edit]Pathophysiology

The Euthanasia Coaster would kill its passengers through prolonged cerebral hypoxia, or insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain.[1] The ride's seven inversions would inflict 10 g on its passengers for 60 seconds – causing g-force related symptoms starting with gray out through tunnel vision to black out and eventually g-LOC (g-force induced loss of consciousness).[3] Depending on the tolerance of an individual passenger to g-forces, the first or second inversion would cause cerebral anoxia, rendering the passengers brain dead.[citation needed] Subsequent inversions would serve as insurance against unintentional survival of particularly robust passengers.[3]

Sure beats an injection.

It's also not the first wing coaster series. X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain and a couple of coasters in Japan hold that distinction.

To make X2 even better, the cars spin as you ride. By far my favorite roller coaster.

X2 is so awesome, I've been wanting to head out to Magic Mountain again for years now. Really curious how the Hershey Park one stacks up to it

krae_man

Man Action Park sounds awesome. Well I got to go on the alpine slide ride in Collingwood, ON so at least there's that.

Are there any alpine slide rides still in existance? Those things were fun. Only problem was it was a 15 minute ski lift ride back to the top:(

epmode

Action Park = best park

Everyone that has been there has horror stories, myself included. It's awesome. Or rather, it was awesome.

Suairyu

Banned
Not going to lie, that's a poor title. The first image conjured into my head was a prank done on fighter pilots using their drinks coaster. Needs a "roller" in there first.

gutshot

So jelous of Action Park. Reading the wiki it sounds like what every person's childhood should be defined from.

It totally was. The Colorado River Ride was so fun. Me and my friends spent most of the day on that thing and rare was the run where we all made it to the bottom still in the raft.

MIMIC

Banned
Is this like the X-Flight ride that was at (the no longer operational) Six Flags Worlds of Adventure (Geauga County, OH). Shit was fun. Now, there's an element of actual danger?

DAY ONE.

Magni

From the video linked earlier, the official Thorpe Park Youtube channel:

Yes this was reported by several newspapers and is simply not true! It is a PR stunt from Thorpe Park's marketing department and has worked very well as everybody is now talking about it!
tpblog 1 month ago

Winged Coasters are not "brand new" to the USA. We've had X, and then X2 for years, which are not only winged, but the wings fucking rotate. Suck it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Action Park article is fucking fascinating. Oh my god, I want to read a book about action park.

LOLA cars: These were miniature open-cockpit race cars on a longer track. Extra money was charged to drive them, and they, too, could be adjusted for speed by knowledgeable park employees, with similarly harmful consequences to riders.[13] Fergus said that, after the park management briefly set up a microbrewery nearby, employees looking for after-hours fun would break into it, steal the beer, and then ride the cars on Route 94.[12]

The tracks themselves were made of concrete and fiberglass, which led to numerous serious abrasions on riders who took even mild spills. The tendency of some to ride in bathing suits so they could go on to Waterworld attractions afterwards made this problem worse.
The sleds themselves were a large factor in the injuries. A stick that was supposed to control speed led, in practice, to just two options on the infrequently maintained vehicles: extremely slow, and a speed described by one former employee as "death awaits."[6]

Former park employee Tom Fergus was quoted in the magazine Weird NJ saying that the "skate park was responsible for so many injuries we covered it up with dirt and pretended it never existed."[12]

The Kayak Experience: After the second visitor death in the park's history in 1982 occurred at this ride, it was closed permanently. It was an imitation whitewater course that used submerged electric fans to agitate the water above. Frequently the kayaks got stuck or tipped over, and people had to get out of them to remedy the situation.[6]

Employees at the park used to like eating at a nearby snack bar with a good view of the attraction, since it was almost guaranteed that they could see some serious injuries, lost bikini tops, or both.

Do your damn research, journalist person. That's not what makes a winged coaster unique, most major amusement parks already have floorless or flying coasters where the legs dangle. Winged are unique because the connection to the track is in the middle or the side of the row of seats, unlike most floorless or flying coasters where its on the bottom or top of the seats, respectively.

Yeah, I didn't now what winged coasters were but I thought that part of the article was weird. She basically describes something like the Top Gun coaster at Great America and then says that they're brand new to NA.

Winged Coasters are not "brand new" to the USA. We've had X, and then X2 for years, which are not only winged, but the wings fucking rotate. Suck it.
Wing Coaster is the type of coaster created by B&M. X is called a 4th Dimension coaster. They both have wings, but the "Wing Coaster" is a new B&M design (and likely a superior one given that Arrow Dynamics went bankrupt due to their faulty X design, and B&M are the best coaster manufacturers in the world).

accompanying thread months/years later: "1 year old baby loses limbs on coaster, "obama's fault" santorum says"

A new roller coaster at a British theme park is so extreme that crash-test dummies returned from a test ride missing multiple limbs. The wild ride prompted management to enlist former air force fighter pilots for a second opinion.

Makes the Santorum statement all the more likely, actually.

EDIT:

Here is a ride-test video and it doesn't look all that terrifying. I'd definitely ride it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RUh_-ExZiY

...and I just heard a popping sound in my inner ear, releasing the "GO PLAY ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON NOW" chemical that lasts for 3 months.

I hope you're happy.

LakeEarth

That roller coaster looks too intense for me
I'm hungry
Guest is currently heading to cotton candy stand
This cotton candy is a really good value!

Wing Coaster is the type of coaster created by B&M. X is called a 4th Dimension coaster. They both have wings, but the "Wing Coaster" is a new B&M design (and likely a superior one given that Arrow Dynamics went bankrupt due to their faulty X design, and B&M are the best coaster manufacturers in the world).
Yeah, there were a lot of reliability problems with X, but they seem to have been fixed with the X2 redesign. It's a shame that Arrow isn't around to make more of those types of rides. Still, by that video of the actual Swarm ride, it seems extremely conventional.

Yeah, there were a lot of reliability problems with X, but they seem to have been fixed with the X2 redesign. It's a shame that Arrow isn't around to make more of those types of rides. Still, by that video of the actual Swarm ride, it seems extremely conventional.
Yeah, I'm not saying Swam itself is be a better ride design, it looks far more more tame than X. Though I do love the look of B&M's and the way they smoothly glide around the track. I think they will eventually evolve the design to include rotating seats too.

Yeah, I'm not saying Swam itself is be a better ride design, it looks far more more tame than X. Though I do love the look of B&M's and the way they smoothly glide around the track. I think they will eventually evolve the design to include rotating seats too.
B&M makes quality stuff. Seats you could sleep in. I hope they get the rotation seat technology, it makes the rides like nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom