• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Reminder because some people still don't get it: It's been two years since Cliven Bundy pulled similar shit in Nevada. He still owes the government $1 million and he's still free to roam wherever he pleases.

The 50 gallon drum of lube should arrive soon, and then they'll be set.

Just think about it

A decade ago the world wouldn't have their eyes on these freedom fighters

The world wouldn't have been able to respond by sending them a 50 gallon drum of lube

What a time to be alive

Reminder because some people still don't get it: It's been two years since Cliven Bundy pulled similar shit in Nevada. He still owes the government $1 million and he's still free to roam wherever he pleases.

This. The authorities haven't shown me why this situation might be different beyond the common sense fact that it should be. I'll be more surprised if the Bundy clan is held accountable after this ends than otherwise.

Yeah, the response to a building takeover by armed men is different, I can't see how after more than 30 pages you still don't get this.

Well you shouldn't forget that they are not just staying in the building. They are going back and fourth in to town and there are many reports of them harassing people. Also Ammon Bundy decided to go to a town hall meeting just a couple days ago and instead of arresting them, they just got yelled at. Nothing is being done about this and it's affecting this whole area.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well you shouldn't forget that they are not just staying in the building. They are going back and fourth in to town and there are many reports of them harassing people. Also Ammon Bundy decided to go to a town hall meeting just a couple days ago and instead of arresting them, they just got yelled at. Nothing is being done about this and it's affecting this whole area.

Exactly. No one here (I don't think) is seriously saying that law enforcement should storm the place, but allowing them to have total free reign of the facility and town with no consequences is just outright irresponsible.

RPGCrazied

There shouldn't be any negotiating with these people. Its either go home or be arrested. Hell, for what they have already done, I'd arrest them anyway and fine them.

As pathetic as this is becoming, about the only ironic positive resolution would be...what....them getting rounded up and handed off to the feds by some sort of Native American militia for whom the artifact mess was the last straw? Wildlife conservationists electing this a bridge too far would also suffice.

Whatever "clever" plan the authorities are presumably working with on this is really, really not going to be something that'll stand for posterity at this rate---every defiant week just adds to it and erodes further and deeper.

Yeah, no. Let's not do that.

What do you think such a thing would accomish?

That if you don't consider the federal government of the United States as authority, then you are not permitted the rights that the federal government offers?

You can still have simple rights afforded to all people, just not specific ones like Medicaid. Or federal voting rights.

Certainly better than filling them up with lead.

Mike M

Nick N
That if you don't consider the federal government of the United States as authority, then you are not permitted the rights that the federal government offers?

You can still have simple rights afforded to all people, just not specific ones like Medicaid. Or federal voting rights.

Certainly better than filling them up with lead.
Because whether you recognize the federal government or not doesn't affect it's authority over you.

Putting aside that Medicaid is not run by the federal government and there's no such thing as federal voting rights, stripping someone of citizenship and rendering them stateless--especially without due process--is not only flagrantly unconstitutional on multiple levels, but a human rights violation to boot.

PopeReal

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/post_2.html

Sheriff Glenn Palmer said in a statement to The Oregonian/OregonLive that "the government is going to have to concede something" to end the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

He said freeing a father-son ranching team from prison "would be a start. Sending the FBI home would be a start." He referred to the FBI's lead role in ending the refuge occupation.

This is beyond a joke now.

This sheriff should be fired. Fucking embarrassing for my state of Oregon.

akira28

well I dunno. These boys seem harmless, they're kind of like Robin Hood and his Prince of Thieves. They just hang out and shake people's hands, they're super friendly to everyone. How soon before they're just America's sweethearts?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
He said freeing a father-son ranching team from prison "would be a start. Sending the FBI home would be a start." He referred to the FBI's lead role in ending the refuge occupation.
hahahaha.. Oh wait, you are serious? Let me laugh harder HAHAHAHAHA

The longer this goes on I am slowly coming to not have a problem with how the Feds are handling this. I still think there are troubling racial implications exposed, but its less "we should treat them just as badly as minorities" and more about how we should treat minorities a million times better.

They may have "demands", but what they want more than anything is to be martyrs, and I am glad we aren't giving it to them.

PopeReal

hahahaha.. Oh wait, you are serious? Let me laugh harder HAHAHAHAHA

The longer this goes on I am slowly coming to not have a problem with how the Feds are handling this. I still think there are troubling racial implications exposed, but its less "we should treat them just as badly as minorities" and more about how we should treat minorities a million times better.

They may have "demands", but what they want more than anything is to be martyrs, and I am glad we aren't giving it to them.

I certainly don't want anyone dead but they have had more than enough chances to arrest various members but refuse to do so. Well they even attested one but let him go.

And yes I would hope minorities would be treated better. Having grown up in eastern Oregon I would say that this sheriff would not be so buddy buddy with these guys if they were a different color. Just my opinion.

Either way this sheriff is actually telling the FBI to leave town and the feds to release prisoners. I mean wtf.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
And let the terrorist win?
ahem, "patriots." The terrorists are the BLM/federal government who want to charge(!) to graze cattle(!), and don't want arsonists ranchers setting fire to federal land

/s (just in case it's not clear :X)

Edit:
Either way this sheriff is actually telling the FBI to leave town and the feds to release prisoners. I mean wtf.
To be clear, I am talking about the Feds icing them out and slow playing it. The sherif is an idiot and no demands should be met.

I don't doubt for a second this would be different if they were black / brown people. I remember driving through rural Oregon and seeing swastika tats on people with alarming frequency. but the point remains I am happy to not give the extremists exactly what they want (a bloody raid)

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/post_2.html

This is beyond a joke now.

This sheriff should be fired. Fucking embarrassing for my state of Oregon.
How does ANY law enforcement officer say something like this, let alone a Sheriff??? This is simply BAFFLING. And then he goes on to insinuate that releasing the two ranchers AND sending the FBI home (yes, the FBI, NOT the ILLEGAL OCCUPIERS) would be a START, as though these whiny law-breaking attention-whore man-children deserve even MORE than what their insane demands already are. "Beyond a joke" doesn't even BEGIN to describe how far beyond a joke this has gotten.

Slayven

How does ANY law enforcement officer say something like this, let alone a Sheriff??? This is simply BAFFLING. And then he goes on to insinuate that releasing the two ranchers AND sending the FBI home (yes, the FBI, NOT the ILLEGAL OCCUPIERS) would be a START, as though these whiny law-breaking attention-whore man-children deserve even MORE than what their insane demands already are. "Beyond a joke" doesn't even BEGIN to describe how far beyond a joke this has gotten.

Dude is out of his league from jump, the FBI should have handled every thing from the beginning.

PopeReal

ahem, "patriots." The terrorists are the BLM/federal government who want to charge(!) to graze cattle(!), and don't want arsonists ranchers setting fire to federal land

/s (just in case it's not clear :X)

Edit:

To be clear, I am talking about the Feds icing them out and slow playing it. The sherif is an idiot and no demands should be met.

I don't doubt for a second this would be different if they were black / brown people. I remember driving through rural Oregon and seeing swastika tats on people with alarming frequency. but the point remains I am happy to not give the extremists exactly what they want (a bloody raid)

I don't see the swastika tats but I see the southern flag lol.

And yes the best result would be to ice these guys out but at this point the FBI are sitting in a hotel in Burns. They aren't really doing anything. At some point they should have isolated these idiots but they are free to roam and to receive supplies. Just stupid.

PopeReal

This is amazing. So you're telling me that they're gonna let them win? I want to be surprised. I truly do. This must be the sheriff of Nottingham

At this point, honestly yes. We had people aiming rifles at feds at the Bundy Ranch and nothing happened. And guess what? Bundy hasn't paid shit. Imagine owing the government over a million dollars (not sure on total amount) and pointing a gun at them and saying no. That's what they did and nothing happened.

Obviously the sheriff is a fucking joke and won't do shit. And the feds don't seem to show much interest either. So whatever I guess.

Mohonky

I missed something, what did the original two guys get prosecuted for? Burning land, was it theirs or something, I can't find the exact details.

Otherwise this seems so weird.

? seriously? thats the solution?

Let me be lead on this
Cut power supplies
cut gas supplies
cut water supplies
cut telephone lines
install cellar signal jammer
install cordon at 200m radius with check points on the road - let nobody in

wait

arrest them as they leave on domestic terrorism charges - compromises should be pleading down to lesser trespass charges.
All sentences should include the banning of owning firearms for a 10 year period (or life)

I missed something, what did the original two guys get prosecuted for? Burning land, was it theirs or something, I can't find the exact details.

A quick Google.
Federal authorities charged the Hammonds with arson after they set a series of fires that spread to public land. A 2001 fire accidentally burned beyond their property line, according to The New York Times. The Department of Justice says it was set to cover up an illegal deer hunt, while the men say that they were burning away an invasive plant species on their land. Years later in 2006, “a burn ban was in effect while firefighters battled blazes started by a lightning storm on a hot day in August,” the newspaper reported. “Steven Hammond had started a ‘back burn’ to prevent the blaze from destroying the family’s winter feed for its cattle.” It was reported by Bureau of Land Management firefighters in the area, and the Justice Department notes that they “took steps to ensure their safety.” It burned about an acre of public land, causing less than $1,000 in damage. Charged with a number of crimes related to arson, the father was convicted of just one count of arson while the son was convicted of two counts for the wilderness fires. The government used an anti-terrorism statute to secure its convictions.

The statute imposed a mandatory minimum sentence: 5 years imprisonment under the Orwellian-sounding Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996. U.S. District Judge Michael Hogan felt that five-year sentences were “grossly disproportionate” and would “shock his conscience,” given the context of the case. He sentenced the older man to three months in federal prison and the son to concurrent one-year sentences. Those punishments inspired no radical activism.

What happened next, did. The Department of Justice appealed the sentences, won in the 9th Circuit, and is forcing the men to return to prison after they thought they had done their time. Both will now serve the mandatory-minimum sentence.

PopeReal

The Hammonds set fire to public land. Because reasons. Either way they purposely destroyed shit. They initially received light sentences but a federal judge said they should serve the minimum 5 years and sent them back to prison.

The Hammonds lawyer has stated they have nothing to do with Ammon Bundy and his terrorist buddies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lets not pretend for a second that these guys care at all about those two ranchers. If their issue was Minimum Sentencing, they'd have taken over a judicial facility.

Hmmm....that makes things pretty grey for me. Not the whole locking down a federal building part, but the guys being sentenced initially and then serving their time only to be told to go back for longer. Seems a bit excessive.

Though how this current stand off has gone so long is beyond me.

They were sentenced incorrectly. Do you also believe when someone is mistakenly let out of prison early, they shouldn't have to be taken back to serve their sentence? "Oopsies!"

dubc35

Simply baffling.

? seriously? thats the solution?

Let me be lead on this
Cut power supplies
cut gas supplies
cut water supplies
cut telephone lines
install cellar signal jammer
install cordon at 200m radius with check points on the road - let nobody in

wait

arrest them as they leave on domestic terrorism charges - compromises should be pleading down to lesser trespass charges.
All sentences should include the banning of owning firearms for a 10 year period (or life)

Has law enforcement commented on shutting off utilities? It seems so obvious I was wondering if they had some reason not to.

PopeReal

Lets not pretend for a second that these guys care at all about those two ranchers. If their issue was Minimum Sentencing, they'd have taken over a judicial facility.

They don't. And at least publicly the Hammonds through their lawyer have stated they just want to do their time and move on. They don't seem willing to put up any kind of fight after their time is done. They know they fucked up. What they did was fucking stupid and very dangerous.

As for Bundy and his terrorist crew they just saw an opportunity and went for it. They don't give a fuck about anybody.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hmmm....that makes things pretty grey for me.
It shouldn't. We can have a legitimate conversation about the legality of minimum sentencing laws, but the two guys being sentenced have agreed to serve their terms without protest and did not ask this militia gang to come and hold their town hostage over it. Even the townspeople who were originally protesting the resentencing of the two ranchers don't want the militia there. There's nothing grey about the laughable mess the militia has created for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom