• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopeReal

To be clear at least one member of the terrorists has spent significant time staying in a hotel in Burns. They didn't arrest him. One was caught with a government truck at Safeway. They arrested him and let him go. Others have been separated and miles from the refuge and could have been arrested. But nothing.

All of them are free to come and go as they please. Supplies and mail are allowed in. They have been destroying a wildlife refuge using government property to do so. They knocked down fences 5 miles away to let cattle in. They built a piece of shit road through the refuge. They have followed government workers in town and harassed them.

This isn't just a matter of "why do they have power?" it is a matter of why absolutely nothing is happening. Nothing.

fixedpoint

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/post_2.html
Sheriff Glenn Palmer said in a statement to The Oregonian/OregonLive that "the government is going to have to concede something" to end the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

He said freeing a father-son ranching team from prison "would be a start. Sending the FBI home would be a start." He referred to the FBI's lead role in ending the refuge occupation.

This is beyond a joke now.

This sheriff should be fired. Fucking embarrassing for my state of Oregon.

Probably worth pointing out that Sheriff Glenn Palmer has no authority in the county where the stand-off is taking place. He should still be fired though.

VariantX

This is just plain sad. Just let these idiots do whatever they want and even let them resupply? I'm more pissed at the authorities allowing this to go on while these clowns just make a mockery of everything.

This is some absolute bullshit. I understand that the last thing the Feds want is to give these idiots the gun-blazing glory their sick little minds want, but to just let them take a federal building over (however small) is just stupid.

This is going to encourage more wack-jobs to pull more stupid stunts like this and they're not all going to have a peaceful outcome.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The cynic in me makes me think that somebody up there doesn't want to make a huge mess, what with elections being so close and all. Better to let it die by itself than risk another Wako or give even more ammunition to the crazies.

The sheriff may be an idiot, but the federal response has been puzzling, to say the least.

Because whether you recognize the federal government or not doesn't affect it's authority over you.

Putting aside that Medicaid is not run by the federal government and there's no such thing as federal voting rights, stripping someone of citizenship and rendering them stateless--especially without due process--is not only flagrantly unconstitutional on multiple levels, but a human rights violation to boot.

It's authority over you seems to be... nothing in this case.

They seem to think the constitution doesn't apply to them. Waiting them out is not solving the problem. The appropriate authorities allow this blatantly criminal and frankly unconstitutional behavior to continue.

Pray then what is the solution? These children are holding their breath while like minded folks are throwing sweets at them.

The cynic in me makes me think that somebody up there doesn't want to make a huge mess, what with elections being so close and all. Better to let it die by itself than risk another Waco or give even more ammunition to the crazies
That's my take as well after so much rumination- that while yes, these fucking loons are being treated with kid's gloves made from actual kids, Obama and his administration do not want to have dead hicks on the front page tied to his name should they uh, resort to more ruthless measures
like we would have done to one hundred Muhammeds or Juans twenty three days ago

PopeReal

The cynic in me makes me think that somebody up there doesn't want to make a huge mess, what with elections being so close and all. Better to let it die by itself than risk another Wako or give even more ammunition to the crazies.

The sheriff may be an idiot, but the federal response has been puzzling, to say the least.

I don't want a huge mess. I would say most people don't. I don't wish death on anyone.

What I want is these guys arrested. They have had multiple chances. The members get spread out and isolated. They had one and let him go.

And since they have shown no interest in that option they should have taken up road blocks and kept these guys in one spot. Instead the damage to the wildlife refuge is mounting and more supplies are allowed in. They go into town about 30 miles away whenever they want. Just fucking dumb.

We need to make America great again!

americawillkillyou.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't want a huge mess. I would say most people don't. I don't wish death on anyone.

What I want is these guys arrested. They have had multiple chances. The members get spread out and isolated. They had one and let him go.

And since they have shown no interest in that option they should have taken up road blocks and kept these guys in one spot. Instead the damage to the wildlife refuge is mounting and more supplies are allowed in. They go into town about 30 miles away whenever they want. Just fucking dumb.
Well, I'm sure most folks want this to end cleanly and peacefully. Alas, you'd never know how things could go with a well armed bunch of GiJoe wannabes high on anti-government propaganda. I reckon the potential for a massive fuckup is rather high (not that they are not asking for it or anything).

lawnchair

Banned
I reckon the potential for a massive fuckup is rather high (not that they are not asking for it or anything).

what does that massive fuckup look like, i've been wondering. a few armed teenagers getting killed by the FBI, something like that? unarmed women getting blown up?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
what does that massive fuckup look like, i've been wondering. a few armed teenagers getting killed by the FBI, something like that? unarmed women getting blown up?

I think dozens of deaths (either militiamen, FBI agents, innocent citizens or a mix of either) could be a pretty bad outcome. Even a few militiamen getting clipped would have the potential for a PR/political nightmare, but specially at this stage.

lawnchair

Banned
I think dozens of deaths (either militiamen, FBI agents, innocent citizens or a mix of either) could be a pretty bad outcome. Even a few militiamen getting clipped would have the potential for a PR/political nightmare, but specially at this stage.

i don't see dozens of deaths as a possibility unless the government decides to just blow up the building, which i think is unlikely..

a few militiamen (terrorists) dead does "look bad on TV", is a "PR Problem", but at the end of the day they're armed criminals in commission of a crime. people like that get shot every day in this country and nobody has a problem with it. if you've got a gun in your hand and a cop says "drop the gun" and you don't do it within .5 seconds (or less depending on your race, if you even get asked in the first place) you get shot. i wouldn't have a problem with law enforcement dealing with these jerkoffs in the exact same way, but i guess i've argued enough at this point ..

This is a direct result of the Federal government being weak with the Cliven Bundy situation. These right wing clownshoes have become emboldened by the Government's weakness. This Oregon situation will not be the end.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This would all be over if they had locked down the area immediately. These are cowards and would be begging to leave without being arrested.

But no, they can come and go as they please. Local sheriff is a joke, but nowhere near as much as whoever is running the federal law enforcement response. They should be fired.

Koomaster

I'm beyond curious what the actual law enforcement plan is here. They don't arrest anyone when they leave; they have all the supplies they want, free use of the gov't facility and utilities. Is the government waiting for them to turn themselves in at this point or what? Because I don't think I would even leave if I were there, sounds nice and everything is free.

Taramoor

So are the people who are supposed to work in that building still getting paid?

Because if I could get a bunch of idiots to occupy my work for a couple months, I could really use the time off. Maybe spend some time with my kid, see Star Wars, you know, whatever.

riotous

Banned

Because if I could get a bunch of idiots to occupy my work for a couple months, I could really use the time off. Maybe spend some time with my kid, see Star Wars, you know, whatever.

The building is closed this time of year. These guys occupied an unoccupied building.

PopeReal

I am guessing yes. My guess is based solely on the letter they sent to Ammon Bundy. They didn't mention losing pay in the message.

This is a direct result of the Federal government being weak with the Cliven Bundy situation. These right wing clownshoes have become emboldened by the Government's weakness. This Oregon situation will not be the end.

Absolutely. How the hell has this gone on this long? This is ridiculous. Arrest them.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
screw it I guess, maybe we can all just go pick out a nice piece of public lands to claim as our own. I've got my place picked out, all I need now is a few guns and to call myself a patriot and it's mine, right? I won't even issue death threats or demand free snacks -_-

gabbo

screw it I guess, maybe we can all just go pick out a nice piece of public lands to claim as our own. I've got my place picked out, all I need now is a few guns and to call myself a patriot and it's mine, right? I won't even issue death threats or demand free snacks -_-

Don't demand them, ask for donated snacks online - just avoid gummy bears

I've become convinced the feds haven't moved in because this standoff is so entertaining.

mrHGRBQ.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8TTWujUGsU

Militiaman Wants To Fight Chris Christie Sumo Style Over Constitution

Chris Christie could end the Oregon standoff at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge if only he sumo wrestled one of the militiamen to the ground.
In the video first picked up by the Oregonian, a man they identify as Kelly Gneiting challenges Christie to wrestle ten rounds with him "wearing diapers and slapping bellies." If Christie manages to knock him down in just one, the man in the video claims the militiamen will pack up and head home.

"If I win all ten, I get to roll you down the stairs in that sleeping bag again," the man says as he pretends to be Christie's older brother.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
i don't see dozens of deaths as a possibility unless the government decides to just blow up the building, which i think is unlikely..

a few militiamen (terrorists) dead does "look bad on TV", is a "PR Problem", but at the end of the day they're armed criminals in commission of a crime. people like that get shot every day in this country and nobody has a problem with it. if you've got a gun in your hand and a cop says "drop the gun" and you don't do it within .5 seconds (or less depending on your race, if you even get asked in the first place) you get shot. i wouldn't have a problem with law enforcement dealing with these jerkoffs in the exact same way, but i guess i've argued enough at this point ..

I think they are a bunch of manbabies that will pussy out if push comes to shove, but you can't ignore the possibility of them barricading inside the complex, at which point all bets are off.

As for the PR problem, the situation could easily turn into a political disaster if the media starts digging in. Why this nuttery was allowed to happen in the first place? How come people died? Did the FBI act the right way? How will other militias react if they are finally gunned down? Bodies being dropped (but SPECIALLY if law enforcement registers any casualty) will put the entire shitshow under much significant scrutiny. Important people (let alone citizens) will demand explanations, not to mention a few heads.

It was a complete fuckup that the situation was allowed to turn into the current, ridiculous mess. It's now up to the authorities to ensure that it doesn't devolve into something much worse. Either way, it's not a good look.

As funny as rhat is, they are making a complete mockery of the law.

Slowly but surely eroding the idea of following the law in the minds of many like minded people.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That's it you dumbasses running the police response. Let them keep getting supporters....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...bundys-threatens-kill-officers-camera-n504216

An Oregon man in military camouflage threatened to kill federal and state law enforcement agents when he was stopped Monday on suspicion of DUI while on his way to join anti-government protesters occupying Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

In a confrontation recorded on police video, the man, identified as Joseph Arthur Stetson, 54, of Woodburn, was stopped shortly before noon (3 p.m. ET) at Hines Food Market in South Hines, the Harney County Sheriff's Office said.

In the 10-minute video, the encounter starts out politely enough, with Stetson and a state trooper, who wasn't identified, calling each other "sir." Stetson was armed with a firearm, which turned out to be a pellet gun, authorities said.

Stetson tells the trooper he's a retired colonel in the U.S. military who served in Central America in 1980 — he boasts twice that his service record was "sealed by Ronald Reagan" — and that he's on his way to serve as a bodyguard for protesters led by Ammon and Ryan Bundy, who've occupied the land refuge since the beginning of the year.

An Oregon man in military camouflage threatened to kill federal and state law enforcement agents when he was stopped Monday on suspicion of DUI while on his way to join anti-government protesters occupying Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

In a confrontation recorded on police video, the man, identified as Joseph Arthur Stetson, 54, of Woodburn, was stopped shortly before noon (3 p.m. ET) at Hines Food Market in South Hines, the Harney County Sheriff's Office said.
Man Intending to Join Oregon Protests Arrested for DUI 3:24

In the 10-minute video, the encounter starts out politely enough, with Stetson and a state trooper, who wasn't identified, calling each other "sir." Stetson was armed with a firearm, which turned out to be a pellet gun, authorities said.

Stetson tells the trooper he's a retired colonel in the U.S. military who served in Central America in 1980 — he boasts twice that his service record was "sealed by Ronald Reagan" — and that he's on his way to serve as a bodyguard for protesters led by Ammon and Ryan Bundy, who've occupied the land refuge since the beginning of the year.

But after about five minutes, as troopers and local officers move to place him under arrest, Stetson becomes agitated, referring to President Barack Obama and officers on the scene as "Nazis" in a tirade spiked with crude expletives.

"I'll kill all of you," Stetson can be heard saying on the video.

When the remarkably restrained state trooper advises him that "I don't think you want to do that," Stetson replies, "If I come out of jail I'm going to kill you."

Eventually, it took multiple officers to wrestle Stetson — who's listed in police records as 6 feet tall and weighing 235 pounds — into a police vehicle.

Authorities said he kicked the vehicle so violently during the struggle that one of its doors was significantly damaged.

Stetson was being held on $5,000 bail Monday night in the Harney County jail on initial charges of resisting arrest, according to jail records.

State prison records show that Stetson pleaded guilty to first-degree burglary and was convicted of menacing in a 2009 incident in which he destroyed a mobile home in Portland in what authorities called a domestic rampage.

Several other homes in the area were evacuated before Stetson surrendered after a standoff with Washington County sheriff's deputies. At the time, he was sentenced to 75 days in jail and two years of probation, according to state records.

Simple $5000 bail for resisting arrest and threatening to kill a police officer. Black kids get that, right?

Mohonky

It shouldn't. We can have a legitimate conversation about the legality of minimum sentencing laws, but the two guys being sentenced have agreed to serve their terms without protest and did not ask this militia gang to come and hold their town hostage over it. Even the townspeople who were originally protesting the resentencing of the two ranchers don't want the militia there. There's nothing grey about the laughable mess the militia has created for themselves.

No the militia and their actions aren't the gray part, that's pretty black and white.

It's the guys initial sentence. I would have figured it was the responsibility of the Government or some other governing body to ensure there were fire breaks around the properties. The gray part for me is how the guys were initially charged for something that I would have thought was a legal responsibility of the local councils.

If it was as the guys said it was, they were back burning to ensure food for livestock on their property wasn't destroyed (and again, I would have figured the local council should have already provided a fire break or back burn't themselves anyway), 5 years definitely seems a bit steep, especially after they were sentenced, served their time and now being told to go back in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom