• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck traditions: Bull with burning torches tied to its horns dies in cruel fiesta

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Fuck this shit.

Also, on a brighter note, I'm happy to see how attitudes on this forum about this sorta thing have shifted over the years.

tolkir

Burning bulls is a tradition of a specific part of the country. South Catalonia, center and north of Valencian Community and some places of Aragon.

To say "there are hundreds of similar fiestas involving burning bulls around the country" is a stretch.

Fiestas with bulls are more extended but burning bulls are from a specific zone.

Ethelwulf

I say f*ck traditions, also I'm never going to Spain on a vacation as long as this stupid macho tradition exists.

I understand your anger OP this is horrific, but don't generalize. This is like saying I'm not going to the US as long as their stupid gun traditions exist. See?

Plum

I give up. Have a nice day, hope you don't called a savage one day, it truly digs deep.

I think people care more about disgusting treatment of animals than the culture behind it, the rightful use of a word that was once used wrongfully or anything like that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I bet the animals are comforted by that

Dead beings have no feelings, but still there is a gigantic moral difference between torturing a living being for fun or for self preservation.

RocknRola

Always hated bullfighting. It's cruel and pointless. Glad that it's dying with each passing year in Portugal, however the best scenario would be to have it outlawed.

It's a bull, not a endangered species. I'd argue traditions are endangered, as we move closer to a global culture
"Traditions are endangered"

bullfighting_stabbing_gif_by_digi_matrix-dbhrfh3.gif

Inhumane traditions like bullfighting/bous al carrer/bull burning SHOULD be endangered. Stoning, binding women's feet, female genital mutilation, and many inhumane traditions should be endangered. What does global culture got to do with it?

From what many spanish people say, this is mainly defended by grandparents. So it might just be culturally dying away anyway, without needing global influence.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Dead beings have no feelings, but still there is a gigantic moral difference between torturing a living being for fun or for self preservation.

I guess. But we also do eat way too much meat in western society and most of the animals that we eat are treated horribly on factory farms. So I don't think the average Big Mac is exactly a case of 'self preservation' for the person eating it.

Hey, there are parts of Spain where that shit is not done and bullfighting is not allowed! For instance recently the Balearic Islands is going to change bullfighting and only allow it when the animal is not injured(physically or mentally)

Yeah.

This bull torture shit is definitely not a thing in a big part of Spain, and is DEFINITELY not something that the majority enjoy or take part in. Most people nowadays are disgusted by it.

Fuck this shit and anyone that supports it.

Yoshi

I guess. But we also do eat way too much meat in western society and most of the animals that we eat are treated horribly on factory farms. So I don't think the average Big Mac is exactly a case of 'self preservation' for the person eating it.

I'm with you in demanding better treatment of animals kept for meat, I just wanted to point out that this is incomparable and issues with how animals are treated in the food industry have no bearing on toture.

Glix

I'm sure you and Christopher Columbus would have been good buddies.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather a bull die than a person

Me too.

But no people were in danger here. This is one of the biggest reaches I have ever seen to defend something grotesque. Your post is incredibly awful and reflects extremely poorly on you.

Additionally, perhaps there is a dog or animal in your life that you love. I wonder how you'd react if someone fucking tied a flaming torch to its fucking head.

I understand your anger OP this is horrific, but don't generalize. This is like saying I'm not going to the US as long as their stupid gun traditions exist. See?

Your point falls apart because the part about the US is a totally logical position to take. It is not generalizing.

There is a difference between killing animals in order to eat them and killing them for fun.

Not when there's no real need to eat them.

I'm not a vegetarian but people get incensed of stuff like this or chinese eating dogs while chowing down on some delicious baby back ribs (fuck I'm getting hungry now) are hilarious.

This bull still had a better life than most factory farmed animals. And a better death too.

NekoFever

Tradition is an awful justification for doing anything. You're literally arguing that we should keep doing something, even if it's terrible, because we've always done it.

I'm not a vegetarian but people get in incensed of stuff like this or chinese eating dogs while showing down on some delicious baby back ribs (fuck I'm getting hungry now) are hilarious.

This bull still had a better life than most factory farmed animals. And a better death too.

Me personally, the difference is that dogs have been bred to be companions while cows have been bred to be food. I understand that not all cultures or countries feel that way however.

mlclmtckr

Banned
It's a bull, not a endangered species. I'd argue traditions are endangered, as we move closer to a global culture

Seeing traditions as "savage" is common in post Columbian era. Many native people were killed because they were seen as savages. It's a touchy term for native people

Hey did you know that you are named after a Greek city state that condoned and enabled pedophilia on a societal scale? That there was more organised child rape in Sparta than in any other ancient Greek state (and that's saying a lot)?

How do you feel about the loss of that tradition?

"But if your not 100% vegan you cannot judge this" coming right up...

Good that these kind of traditions get exposed and frowned upon. Slowly they die and world doesn't lose anything.

Ethelwulf

Your point falls apart because the part about the US is a totally logical position to take. It is not generalizing.
Super logical... Everyone in the US likes guns.
sarcasm
. Anyway, bad example. My point stands strong. Op makes it sound as if all of Spain was like this. Is not. Far from it.

Madness

Just trash. There isn't really hope for humanity. Unless they are domesticated livestock or pets, most animals will be killed off due to humans. And even then, how many sick fucks do things like dogfighting, hurt pets. Tradition and culture one of the dumbest arguments around. If your tradition involves cruel torture of animals, it needs to be banned. Lighting a bulls horns on fire and strapping it to a post and laughing as it tries to put out the flames terrified and then dies due to skull trauma, what's the tradition in that? Humans hunt and kill gorillas and chimps and great apes to make some mixed meat to eat and they are almost 98% human DNA. Some humans cut the fins off of sharks to make a shitty soup without killing the shark just letting it drown, some kill tigers to make balms out of their bones, othera kill bears to make rugs in their house, some enjoy blowing a lions brains away with a high powered rifle, some enjoy using their pack of dogs to kill and chase foxes for sheer sport.

Aranath

I live in Seville and the level of support and love for bullfighting and other similar traditions in this place is simply staggering.

Since moving here I've come to utterly loathe the word "tradition" because it's everyone's immediate go-to justification for every awful event that happens here.

I really don't understand how the EU doesn't intervene and put an end to the insane amounts of animal cruelty in this country.

Yoshi

I'm not a vegetarian but people get incensed of stuff like this or chinese eating dogs while chowing down on some delicious baby back ribs (fuck I'm getting hungry now) are hilarious.

Eating dogs is fine, torturing a bull (or any animal) is not. This does not excuse maltreatment in the food industry, but the problem is not eating animals, but maltreating them in the meat production. I am well aware that the low price is a big reason animals are maltreated in the food industry but that's another issue that warrants discussion as well but is not a reason not to be upset about a tradition that means torturing an animal for no good reason.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The thing about bullfighting is that it seems really easy to concoct a less cruel variant of it.

At least as an American, the guy skillfully dodging the bull was always the intiriguing part, not the part where they wear it down using cheap tactics and then kills it.

Even then, I don't think you can get the bull to run around attacking dudes without tormenting it first. Still, it's weird that as a kid I thought it was just a cool sport/dance where a guy dodges a bull. As like a 9 year old I learned they kill the bull and was immediately like "what a dumb sport"

Leynos

I have seen Portuguese-style bullfights here in the US where the bull isn't killed, and has pads on its back to protect it from the mini-lances. The poor creature isn't being hurt, but it is still being needlessly tormented.

Bullfighting is a Pre-Roman relic that has no place in the 21st Century.

Customs change, heck the rules for Football have changed over the centuries. It's no longer a Village versus Village brawl with a ball.

Time to retire Bullfighting (including the non-lethal versions) and Rodeos.

Top Bottom