• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Jibbed

I'm gonna have a 50%er with AI now to see how it is.

From what I've played of Korea I really like it. Hopefully that will stay the case!

Committed!

I'm going to be honest, 50% with a pad is bloody torture.

Hahaha, my girlfriend calling me a "stupid git" at 4 minutes.

Edit: Hahaha you left in her dressing me too. Thanks for that!

Good vid that. You saw a decent bit of action!

Yeah, it was mostly the banter that I caught, but good fun nonetheless!

f1_20112012-04-2922-3fbyv6.png

This may or may not have been a result of Alonso trying to unlap himself and me ramming him in to the wall.

Jibbed

"Your strategy was.. there's not going to be a safety car in this race?"

Brilliant haha. I'm gonna jump on now for some Korea practice, I think. I really can't be doing with being 1.5-2.0s off the pace again.

I'm not sure you can call ramming past someone and then braking being a gentleman haha.

Last week I just didn't want to practice. This week I won't have time! Then again Singapore clicked on Saturday morning for me so maybe I'll get lucky. I was really struggling last night, even though I was still killing the AI.

Mad_Ban

Was doing 34's and 35's in the 20% race before.

Agree with the pole guess. It's shocking how much the middle sector affects the lap time, nailing it gains a good second in the lap! I'm guessing Crumbs and Lucius will manage a high 31 though.

Lucius86

Banned
You said that last week and only lost because you're a gentleman.

How rude. I lost around 30 seconds in that race thanks to the start and the terrible timing of the SC coming out in relation to my strategy (3 laps after I pitted for my second stop). That's you off my nice list.

Not going to be able to practice until Thursday/Friday alas (work & gym), and unlikely to be able to practice Sat morning until about 45mins before the race! At least Singapore I had Sat morning to get a few hours of practice in before go time.

I think someone other than me, Phleg or Crumbs will win this race. Too many people are practising and upping their game.

Mad_Ban

1:34.087 with the wheel and auto gears on TT. I know that'll be way off pace but it feels good.

Good lap! I'd warn you to only use GP mode for practice, since it mimics the conditions that the race will be under (no zero fuel, mega DF + tyres).

Got a 1:32.183 in quali before. Gonna try push for a 31 because I know you'll all get a LOT faster. :p

I may suck but man am I getting addicted to this. I finally have good settings on the wheel and can nail apexes and accelerate out of corners more smoothly. It's a whole new game for me!

I still lose all my time in braking but I think that'll improve with the switch over to manual gears once I feel comfortable.

My goal for this week is to finish on the lead lap.

I would suggest you (and James) just make the jump to manual.

It'll take like a few hours for you to get a good idea of what gears you need for what type of corners and now I can do 3/4 laps of a track I've never done before and know what the right gears are. It will make you better with the wheel as a result too.

It'll take like a few hours for you to get a good idea of what gears you need for what type of corners and now I can do 3/4 laps of a track I've never done before and know what the right gears are. It will make you better with the wheel as a result too.

You're right, I know. I just have nightmares of being slow and ruining someones race while getting lapped. I'm trying to improve as much as possible so I can contribute some competition. I'll make the switch this afternoon when I get home and see how it goes.

Mad_Ban

You were showing good pace in the MP practice we had before, so I don't think you'll have to worry about getting lapped, and even if you did, the track is massive enough for it to not be a problem. :p

gragy10

I may suck but man am I getting addicted to this. I finally have good settings on the wheel and can nail apexes and accelerate out of corners more smoothly. It's a whole new game for me!

I still lose all my time in braking but I think that'll improve with the switch over to manual gears once I feel comfortable.

My goal for this week is to finish on the lead lap.

Care to share yr DF:GT settings?
Picked one up last week with the intention of stepping things up and (finally) getting involved with the league but it's my first time with a wheel and I'm struggling hard..

In the menu set the controller to "Custom" and then down the bottom select "Wheel"

Generally I think most of use have 0% for everything in the advanced menu and the FFB is just a matter of personal taste, mostly. I have environment vibration quite low because I don't like my desk having an earthquake every time I go over a bump.

And we only have two more races left in our league until most of us shelve 2011, so you need to practice fast! :p

Care to share yr DF:GT settings?
Picked one up last week with the intention of stepping things up and (finally) getting involved with the league but it's my first time with a wheel and I'm struggling hard..

To add on to what FV said:

In game advanced:
Brake deadzone: I use 3-4% here (in case I rest my foot on pedal just a little too hard)
All else 0%

FFB settings:
Personal pref but I don't have anything over 50%.

DFGT Profile settings:

Degree of rotation = 270% (matches 1:1 in cockpit)
Spring effect= 0%
Damper= 0%
Center spring strength = 40% (box checked)

Also:
I'm new as well and won't be shelving the game after the league so i'll be down for practice races anytime really. GFWL/Steam = LowKeyedUp

I kept using my right foot for a few days but I realised that wasn't the best way to do it. It feels really weird braking with your left foot at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

The first time I started doing left foot braking and then got in to my real car afterwards felt SO weird. Now I've adjusted to doing it in game naturally.

Are you left foot braking? I can't do that for the life of me when I use the wheel! I have to drive like I do on the road.

Yeah and holy crap does it start to hurt the top of my ankle (ankles have tops?) It feels so alien, have to train the muscles/tendons. Figured I would just learn it this way right off the bat for trailbraking/speed later on.

My left foot still starts to ache a little bit if I don't rest it on straights during the brake-heavy tracks.

Usually only on Saturdays after an hour or two of practice, then quali, then 50% race...

I used to keep my left foot over the brake at all times, but now I rest it as much as I can like you do in real life for the clutch.

kharma45

I can never start as well with manual gears hence why I stuck with auto, plus I always forget what gear I'm in... but maybe I'll try when I get home to practice on Friday.

I suck at starts too, but you get to know a track so well you always know what gear you're in. Sometimes I forget when overtaking etc but the UI helps me with a quick glance.

... When a race is really stressful sometimes I find myself counting myself down in my head, too, haha. I think Lucius or Crumbs could hear me in Valencia when it was wet!

Lach

I can never start as well with manual gears hence why I stuck with auto, plus I always forget what gear I'm in... but maybe I'll try when I get home to practice on Friday.

I don't know I seem to start quite well, despite of not having any plan.
I sometimes have problems remembering the gears. Especially when shifting down quickly. I actually ended up in neutral quite a few times in singapore...

I couldn't go back to automatic though.

Those dislikes are really going to cut into my ad revenue. I have bills to pay.

The switch to manual was a lot easier than I thought, I only ended up in neutral a couple of times.

Kyaw

I'm going to be in trouble when I start my driving lessons, aren't I?

Racing games with the wheel has taught me to left foot brake all the time.

PS. Lucius, can you forward me the qualifying boards from Singapore, please?

Top Bottom