• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 |OT| The last one with Webber in it

Foshy

From the media create thread:

Hah, the japanese get it. They're realizing that Codies' F1 games are shit and the sales are on a nice downwards curve.

F1 2010 PS3 first week: 31,850
F1 2011 PS3 first week: 23,001
F1 2012 PS3 first week: 11,984
F1 2013 PS3 first week: 7,922

Addnan

F1 2013 isn't bug free BUT it is a huge improvement on the POS 2012 version. I ended up buy the standard version via the link I posted here for 13 pounds. Check the CM F1 2013 technical assistance forum for a overview of the bugs found thus far.

I've downloaded a few of the mods available from RaceDepartment which includes a fix for the players tyre wear over 25% and 50% race distances (AI don't suffer tyre wear at the same rate), a debugging menu mod, skip game into mod, steering wheel L.E.D mod, Realistic Damage Mod v3.0 and Tires Edition 2013. There are track mods, realism mods and even mods to add Senna into the game. I mainly buy the F1 games just to mod them and enjoy the results.

Can you link to the tyre wear mod. I can't seem to find it.

Shaneus

2012 drop was well deserved just because they removed tire wear scaling, what were they thinking with that.
But hey, they've added it back... but only for the player. The AI doesn't have scaling :lol

I'm wondering exactly what it is that Codies do every year for this franchise. They've updated textures, added a track or two and a car or two (that you have to pay extra for by way of a "classics edition") and included most of the patches from the previous games. It's literally identical to yearly iterations of sports franchises from the likes of EA and 2K. Hell, I'd actually wager they include *more* improvements, fixes and updates than Codies do.

The only excuse they'd ever have for putting out such bare-bones yearly updates as these is if they had some other game utilising the franchise, like a Football Manager-equivalent (that I would SO be all over, at least they couldn't muck up the handling in it). Instead we got the (failed) freemium F1 Online and it's IAP-laden offshoot on iOS.

Probably still going to buy it eventually, because what else is there? Unless someone finds a way to rip the tracks for use in GSC2013, of course. I hope that can be a thing.

Certinty

Well this sucks. I have £6.59 in my Microsoft account and was told the DLC packs would be £6.49 each yet they're £6.75. Bloody hell.

I'm wondering exactly what it is that Codies do every year for this franchise. They've updated textures, added a track or two and a car or two (that you have to pay extra for by way of a "classics edition") and included most of the patches from the previous games. It's literally identical to yearly iterations of sports franchises from the likes of EA and 2K. Hell, I'd actually wager they include *more* improvements, fixes and updates than Codies do.

The only excuse they'd ever have for putting out such bare-bones yearly updates as these is if they had some other game utilising the franchise, like a Football Manager-equivalent (that I would SO be all over, at least they couldn't muck up the handling in it). Instead we got the (failed) freemium F1 Online and it's IAP-laden offshoot on iOS.

It's just the reality of licensed properties with annual releases. The high cost of the licence and tech are spread over the life of the contract. What little cash is left goes towards making the necessary updates, and introducing the most cost effective "new features" as possible. Plus advertising which probably dwarfs their operating budget. It is just like EA and 2K. If there are less improvements, it's because margins are slimmer.

I forgive them for that because it's just the way they need to do things to make money from it, but the bugs and stuff are less forgivable. QA however cost money too, so it's tied in as well, but you can't just do that to customers.

I don't bust on Codies too much because I think they're doing the best they can on a bit of a shoestring.

So, in other words:

THAT BERNIE CUNT!

How much money does the old short bastard need?

Also, I think this is a problem that's intrinsically exclusive to licensed racing games: there's not really much to add in the first place. If you have the cars, the tracks, the sessions are properly made, the AI is somewhat realistic, the physics are good and the online is playable...what do you add next year?

I think the F1 Classics is a great idea: what do you add to what I said earlier? More cars AND more tracks. I hope they expand that to older eras.

Spazo

PC Patch #1

Today sees our first PC Patch #1 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2013. We have tried where possible to prioritise as many of the issues you have raised as a priority, in addition to a number of other fixes which were made during the various submission processes, or because they have been easily tracked down and fixed.

In the meantime, please note that we are still collecting feedback via our Technical Assistance forums and do encourage you to post your issues there, being sure to include as much information as possible. This will be used to help prioritise our fixes in future patches.

Priority Issues

Multiplayer match making issue:
When creating a game, there is now an added option in the race settings: “Downloadable Content Tracks “On / Off”. If you turn this to ‘Off’ any players who don’t have DLC installed will be able to find & join your game – that means opening up the ability for Classic/DLC players to play against standard edition players.

PC FPS Issues:
We’ve made improvements to the PC FPS issue whereby higher specification PC’s had a considerable lap time advantage over lower ones. Although we haven’t yet fully rectified the issue completely across all tracks, we wanted to get these improvements out as soon as possible whilst continuing our investigations to see where further improvement can be made.We have also introduced a frame rate cap at approximately 120 frames per second to limit the extremity of the variation at exceptionally high frame rates. We are confident this change will not result in any visual degradation, and will further prevent the issue being exploited and allow for fairer competition online.We would encourage players to test this in multiplayer races rather than solely relying on AI lap time benchmarks, as there is variation deliberately built into the latter for gameplay reasons. We are aware this is a hot topic and will continue to monitor the forums for feedback once this fix is live.

Fixed multiple Mid Session Save issues:
Including cases of incorrect track initialisation, race logic, set ups and crashes. AI will also no longer pit to change tyres when re-loading from a Mid Session Save.

Equal cars online
Thanks to the feedback we’ve found a couple of issues related to car wheel positions which we now have been addressed.

AI no longer pit immediately after a safety car

AI braking distances have been improved into turn 1 at Malaysia
If you are experiencing any other instances where the AI seem too early on the brakes / too slow into a corner, please let us know the track & corner number and we will investigate.

Players can no longer set leaderboard times or go online if they edit their triggers_pit.xml
This was allowing players to use their DRS in non-valid areas. The leaderboards will be reset as a result.

Updated the Tyre compound choice for Korea, Japan & India to reflect the 2013 season.

Minor Issues

Added functionality to view gamer card / profile on results screens.
The race director will now be available in co-op if the one player retires from the season in qualification or practice.
Changes to audio mix volumes while on track.
Steam Achievements are now visible / displayed correctly.
Resolved an issue where a lobby would incorrectly show as being full.
Fixed a network issue where AI would not receive penalties correctly at the end of a race.
Fixed an occasion where AI cars could exit their box into the pit lane too fast.
Turning collisions off will now also disable the safety car.
Changed the car lighting on Yas Marina during the night.
Fixed a crash relating to a vote to end a session with players that have joined in progress.
Multiplayer ghosting issues fixed.
Audio Memory changes, so there should be no audio dropout after longer durations of play / sitting on the pause menu.
McLaren Cockpit view texture update.
Updated collision boxes on the Williams FW14B & the Ferrari F92A.
Updated collision audio, and fixed some cases of audio drop out.
Resolved an issue in Split Screen where the player ones camera could slightly flicker.
Resolved an issue where the skipping to day 2 of the Young Drivers Test would make the day 1 hairpin test very difficult to complete.
Fixed some instances of the auto drive not releasing the Ferrari 312T2 correctly.
Removed Tweak in from the Fanatec Clubsport wheel, updated the Logitech Wingman Formula GP Wheel action map.

The above fixes (where relevant) for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are currently being tested and verified. These require additional submission and authorisation from Microsoft and Sony so the release date for these will follow a little later than the PC version.

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1-2013-General-Discussion/F1-2013-PC-Patch-1/m-p/383922#U383922

Addnan

I'd rather see them patch the game rather than what other developers do and leave it broken. Even if it takes 10 updates. It would obviously be nice if it wasn't broken in the first place though :p

Zeknurn

I'd rather see them patch the game rather than what other developers do and leave it broken. Even if it takes 10 updates. It would obviously be nice if it wasn't broken in the first place though :p

If it's like 2012 it will still be broken after those 10 patches.

Shaneus

If it's like 2012 it will still be broken after those 10 patches.
IIRC 2011 was in a better state after it's three (thanks GFWL) than 2012 was after however many it had (I thought there were more than 10? I remember there was at least one or two a week for a month or two after launch).

Pro tip for Codies: If there are that many fixes in a game this soon after it's come out, your testers might not be doing a very good job... if you have them (and they aren't also known as "the general public").

PC FPS Issues:
We’ve made improvements to the PC FPS issue whereby higher specification PC’s had a considerable lap time advantage over lower ones. Although we haven’t yet fully rectified the issue completely across all tracks, we wanted to get these improvements out as soon as possible whilst continuing our investigations to see where further improvement can be made.We have also introduced a frame rate cap at approximately 120 frames per second to limit the extremity of the variation at exceptionally high frame rates. We are confident this change will not result in any visual degradation, and will further prevent the issue being exploited and allow for fairer competition online.We would encourage players to test this in multiplayer races rather than solely relying on AI lap time benchmarks, as there is variation deliberately built into the latter for gameplay reasons. We are aware this is a hot topic and will continue to monitor the forums for feedback once this fix is live
The bolded parts worry me a lot. If they set a FPS limit, it means they have no idea what's causing the problem (or it's so tied to the game loop that it will take a long time to be removed).

Gonna try it now, though. I have a high end PC, let's see that this patch does to the game.

TJP

Can anyone tell me if they have a fuel and tyre on-off options under simulation options. I can change the fuel and tyres both in the pits and out on track and I have fuel and tyre wear but apparently you can switch these options on and off under simulation options yet I don't have the option to do so. I'm confused from reading too many threads...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
God damn embarrassing at the amount of fixes for patch 1. They need better testers.

Not really living up to the name of Codemasters are they?

Seanspeed

Banned
If you are experiencing any other instances where the AI seem too early on the brakes / too slow into a corner, please let us know the track & corner number and we will investigate.

All heavy braking zones.

All fast turns.

Shaneus

Know what would be nice? If AI was actually AI and they didn't rely on markers to dictate whereabouts on the track they brake. In this case, you might be better turning on the driving line because you can probably see *exactly* where the "AI" will drive as well.

God damn embarrassing at the amount of fixes for patch 1. They need better testers.

Not really living up to the name of Codemasters are they?
Fixed.

Addnan

All heavy braking zones.

All fast turns.
Basically.

I lose place off the line. Make up 5 positions into first corner.

Seanspeed

Banned
Know what would be nice? If AI was actually AI and they didn't rely on markers to dictate whereabouts on the track they brake. In this case, you might be better turning on the driving line because you can probably see *exactly* where the "AI" will drive as well.
That goes for pretty much all racing games. This isn't a problem unique to Codemasters or anything.

One thing I've noticed is that the AI isn't aggressive enough. They are far too 'considerate' when racing alongside them, making every pass easy-peasy. Just be a little bit brave and you can usually force the AI to back down.

And I think this is kind of what causes the super slowdown going into Turn 1 at the starts of races. They are all entirely too concerned with avoiding the other cars that they all slow to a halt in the braking zone and through the corner, usually allowing you to make up a ton of places along the way.

The alternative is having overly aggressive AI, I guess, which people would probably hate more, so this is probably a conscious decision by Codemasters.

Really, good racing AI is probably a ways off still.

Seanspeed

Banned
Pointless comparison. No one plays GT games for the AI.
That's not really the point.

The comparison isn't pointless at all. The vast majority of people race alone against the AI, so its a pretty vital component of the experience, even if its not 'why they play it'.

Certinty

Decided to finally for the 90's DLC and so far it's great.

The 1999 Ferrari is an absolute dream to drive.

Are the DLC tracks worth it?

conman

Still wondering if I should jump in on 2013. Been burned in the past. But I'm craving some new racing. It's sounding like F1 2013 may be decent? This or GSC 2013?

The comparison isn't pointless at all. The vast majority of people race alone against the AI, so its a pretty vital component of the experience, even if its not 'why they play it'.
Not at all. Only someone who's never played a GT game before would expect this. People play GT alone all the time, but for time trials, license tests, special events, etc. I myself have probably logged close to 300 hours in GT5 alone. But no one seriously "races" against the AI unless they've never played a GT game before. It's simply not what the games are about.

Shaneus

How can the game not be about racing the AI when one of the main complaints about 2012 was the inability to race a full season as your favourite driver?

conman

The same thing can be said for F1 2013.
Can't speak for 2013 since I haven't played it yet. But in 2012, you couldn't say the same thing because there weren't viable alternatives to racing AI. Comparing F1 to GT is apples to oranges.

Juicy Bob

Not at all. Only someone who's never played a GT game before would expect this. People play GT alone all the time, but for time trials, license tests, special events, etc. I myself have probably logged close to 300 hours in GT5 alone. But no one seriously "races" against the AI unless they've never played a GT game before. It's simply not what the games are about.
I'm sorry, but... what?

People buy and play GT games for the full package, because they are very content-heavy games. But by far the biggest proportion of the gameplay in GT games involves racing against AI opponents - so how can you possibly argue that comparing the AI in GT5 against the AI in F1 2013 is pointless?

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
F1 2013 Codemasters - All Setups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3PpvOXhLQ

After the success that had the video with the setups of last season, this year I again bring a video compilation of the best setups that I've made for all tracks of F1 2013™ game in dry and wet conditions. All setups that appear in the video are compatible with all cars and are valid for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

I hope you enjoy it!

conman

I'm sorry, but... what?

People buy and play GT games for the full package, because they are very content-heavy games. But by far the biggest proportion of the gameplay in GT games involves racing against AI opponents - so how can you possibly argue that comparing the AI in GT5 against the AI in F1 2013 is pointless?
Complaining about the AI in a GT game is like complaining about the lack of space aliens in a Call of Duty game.

In contrast, the recent F1 games from Codemasters are like every other of CM's racers. There's not a lot of strong single player content outside of racing against AI. It's just not what their games are about. Different games, different strengths. Apples and oranges.

Addnan

After the success that had the video with the setups of last season, this year I again bring a video compilation of the best setups that I've made for all tracks of F1 2013™ game in dry and wet conditions. All setups that appear in the video are compatible with all cars and are valid for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

I hope you enjoy it!

Awesome. Bookmarking for future use.

Seanspeed

Banned
This is completely asinine. TONS of people play it for career mode and whatnot.

EDIT: Good stuff Adrian. Haven't messed around with setups yet.

Phinor

Complaining about the AI in a GT game is like complaining about the lack of space aliens in a Call of Duty game.

I'm willing to bet that more than half of GT buyers play the game only against the AI and just because many others don't, it doesn't justify the rather poor AI. I actually want to say "most" people play only against the AI but GT5 does have pretty decent amount of online racers, time trial racers etc. But just compare that number to the number of copies sold which is over 10 million now. Some people are douple dipping but that 10mil+ also doesn't take into account used copies.

I mean a lot of people actually buy PC racing sims to play offline, against the AI. There are exceptions of course, but on average that statement is true. A lot people also buy RTS games to play against the AI, not to play against each other. To this day that manages to surprise developers. And speaking of Call of Duty, millions of players buy that game only for the 5 hour singleplayer campaign (and other solo modes on top of that).

conman

This is completely asinine. TONS of people play it for career mode and whatnot.
I'm willing to bet that more than half of GT buyers play the game only against the AI and just because many others don't, it doesn't justify the rather poor AI.
If this is the case (I'm skeptical), then I don't understand why people would continue to buy and play the series. It would be boring as hell since racing the AI is like playing basketball against a five year old. Clearly something else about the game keeps people coming back because it isn't (nor has it ever been) the AI.

Anyhow, this isn't the thread for this. My only point was to say that comparing AI in an F1 game to the AI in a GT game is a fruitless comparison. I think we can all agree on that.

Seanspeed

Banned
If this is the case (I'm skeptical), then I don't understand why people would continue to buy and play the series. It would be boring as hell since racing the AI is like playing basketball against a five year old. Clearly something else about the game keeps people coming back because it isn't (nor has it ever been) the AI.

Anyhow, this isn't the thread for this. My only point was to say that comparing AI in an F1 game to the AI in a GT game is a fruitless comparison. I think we can all agree on that.
No, we cant agree because your idea that its a 'fruitless comparison' is wrong. Its not a matter of opinion, its just wrong.

We've already established the AI itself isn't the reason people play GT. But a vast amount of people(probably the large majority) do go through the single-player career stuff and have to deal with the AI at the very least. You seem to be incapable of realizing that not everybody plays racing games like you or I do. Not everybody is an ace who can blow away the AI in any given racing game, either.

Its really no different and there's no reason we cant compare them.

conman

We've already established the AI itself isn't the reason people play GT. But a vast amount of people(probably the large majority) do go through the single-player career stuff and have to deal with the AI at the very least.
Clearly you're reading far more into this than was meant. Cheers and happy racing.

Shaneus

I hope you enjoy it!
Could've saved yourself some time and posted a video of you saying "Just set everything to 11".

Unless that's what you already did.

Ryne

Setting everything to 11 sucks this year in race with tyre wear. The tyres fall apart with extreme setups.

In TT it probably still works.

stewy

I had one of those dreaded 20 second pit stops last night because they didn't want to release me into traffic. I didn't know that was still a problem with these games. Cost me a potential podium finish, too.

Shaneus

*gulp. Anyone on the 360? Let's race! xbl: slimfitcasual
Your avatar.

B6WErY9l.jpg

Sorry if it 's been asked before but does anyone know a good setup for the Logitech G27 on PC? I just bought the wheel and F1 2013 so I'm a complete noob at this. I've been looking around the net but not having much luck with what I've found.

EDIT: I meant a good setup for F1 2013 of course lol. So we're clear.

Risgroo

Sorry if it 's been asked before but does anyone know a good setup for the Logitech G27 on PC? I just bought the wheel and F1 2013 so I'm a complete noob at this. I've been looking around the net but not having much luck with what I've found.

EDIT: I meant a good setup for F1 2013 of course lol. So we're clear.

Try setting the wheel to about 300 degrees rotation in the profiler, and then mess with linearity/saturation in-game until it looks pretty much 1:1. Sorry I can't give a more detailed setup, not around my wheel at the moment.

Found this on the CM forums:
http://community.codemasters.com/t5...ords-of-a-user-from-another-epoch/td-p/389018

Speech

Second PC Patch incoming.

From CM forums..

Today sees our second PC Patch available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2013. We will update this topic once the patch goes live (today).

PC FPS Issues:

We’ve made further improvements to the PC FPS issue whereby higher specification PC’s had a considerable lap time advantage over lower ones. The difference now should be negligible and should allow fair competition between all players. Again we are aware this is a hot topic and will continue to monitor the forums for feedback once this fix is live.
At 30+ FPS the track will now rubber in.

Minor Fixes:

In Online Custom Races AI cars that have retired will now be removed from the track correctly.
Improved AI replication on high latency / low bandwidth connections in Online Custom Races.
Corrected Professional and Expert AI difficulty on Sakhir (Bahrain) & Monza.
Fixed an issue where on certain hardware all menus would be black.
Force feedback settings have been tweaked to remedy the mid corner ‘dropout’ that some players were reporting.

The above fixes (where relevant) for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are currently being tested and verified. These require additional submission and authorisation from Microsoft and Sony so the release date for these will follow a little later than the PC version

Shaneus

The FPS difference is "negligible"? Why is it even happening/tied to FPS? I'm pretty sure none of the other games experienced it. And seeing as 2013 is basically 2012...

Top Bottom