• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 |OT| The last one with Webber in it

kharma45

'The difference now should be negligible and should allow fair competition between all players.'

There should be no difference at all. If anyone from Codies is reading this you should be fucking ashamed of what you've put out.

I remember Edge magazine rating F1CE for PS3 really low. Not because it was a bad racing game, but because it didnt live up to their expectations of what a PS3 game should look like. It's funny that 7 years on, it's still the best F1 game you can get on a current gen system. The one legit knock anyone could have against it was Liverpool's decision to go with 30 fps and motion blur, rather than a full 60 fps.
Still, the wet weather racing in that game is absolutely sensational.

True, the game was average and i never thought it would end up as the best F1 this gen. Handling was arcadey, but at least it was good.

Really? I totally disagree with this.

F1CE was good, but all it was was 'Formula One 2006 HD'. It looked really pretty, but the handling was pretty arcadey, the AI were totally robotic and unbalanced in the wet, it had no FFB support for wheels, online was really basic and it was just so very... sterile. It completely lacked any real character at all. It had the official FOM graphics - which definitely made it feel authentic - but I did a full 100% championship on that game and comparing it to my experiences with Codemasters' series, F1CE is just dull to play in comparison.

Codies games are also very arcadey. You can always jump 10+ positions on the start, use absurd lines without loss of traction, you can bump and run like it´s Nascar and so on... game doesn´t even dream of doing the things that Geoff Crammond did a decade ago.

It´s a shame that it looks like all the brilliant minds at Codies have left. They managed to run Colin McRae and Toca into the ground and now they produce this piss filtered abomination that they call a F1 sim.

Harsh words, i know, but i just wish somebody else was handling this license. I have a feeling rFactor 2 mods will be where i scratch my F1 needs (including real historic seasons).

TJP

We’ve made further improvements to the PC FPS issue whereby higher specification PC’s had a considerable lap time advantage over lower ones. The difference now should be negligible and should allow fair competition between all players. Again we are aware this is a hot topic and will continue to monitor the forums for feedback once this fix is live.
What's with the should bits, Codemasters? You either fix an issue or you haven't or cannot.

NHale

What's with the should bits, Codemasters? You either fix an issue or you haven't or cannot.

Which makes me believe that they didn't do anything. Maybe they found a way to mask it a little bit but not fix it entirely.

They are probably expecting people to suffer from the placebo effect. See the patch notes and believe it's been fixed.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think its quite that black and white in lots of cases.

Anyways, fuck the Indian GP track. I like driving it, but its a headache to put a good lap in. Did 32 freakin laps and couldn't do ONE I was happy with.

This game also reminds me of why I prefer lower powered cars despite being a massive F1 fan. Judging your traction out of slow corners and especially hairpins is a nightmare. Without being able to feel the tires under me and realistic feedback through the pedal, its just guesswork half the time.

Zozobra

So I think I remember reading that the wheel support for F1 2012 really wasn't very good (which I'm inclined to believe, but maybe I'm just that terrible at the game), has that improved at all with this iteration?

Seanspeed

Banned
Turn 5,6, 7 I can't get right no matter what. Fuck it up every time.
Yea, that's often the part that really catches me out. The last turn and turn 2, the ones leading onto the straights mess me up a lot, too.

On another note, it seems full-screen is now not working for me. There's no option for it, so its just in perpetual windowed-mode. Wasn't like this before. Really annoying. Wanted to record some laps with Shadowplay but that's not happening now.

Jibbed

Yea, that's often the part that really catches me out. The last turn and turn 2, the ones leading onto the straights mess me up a lot, too.

On another note, it seems full-screen is now not working for me. There's no option for it, so its just in perpetual windowed-mode. Wasn't like this before. Really annoying. Wanted to record some laps with Shadowplay but that's not happening now.

Tried shift+enter?

It always boots up windowed for me and I have to manually enable full-screen with that shortcut.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hmm, weird.

Try editing the .ini file so fullscreen=1 or 'yes' or whatever. I've not looked at it myself but usually you can configure it in manually in that way.
Ok, Shift+Enter didn't work, but Alt+Enter did. Is that what you meant? ;)

Thanks for taking the time to help, by the way.

Getting problems with F1 2013 on steam with windows 8.1. Achevievements aren't unlocking and the steam overlay doesn't work. Great. Reluctant to keep playing as I don't know whether my achievements will be added on when (IF) the problem ever gets patched. Fuck sake..

Getting problems with F1 2013 on steam with windows 8.1. Achevievements aren't unlocking and the steam overlay doesn't work. Great. Reluctant to keep playing as I don't know whether my achievements will be added on when (IF) the problem ever gets patched. Fuck sake..

8.1 seems to be a clusterfuck of everything for what I keep reading about it, makes me wonder why microsoft released it without some more fine tuning.

Certinty

My career is now fucked since when I go to my mid session save it freezes my console when loading it. Fucking brilliant!

the overlay issue is reported on the F1 2013 official forums, however no one seems to have noticed that the steam achievements are also not updating. I've since posted a time attack time on each track and the achevement hasn't popped. I have no idea if it will, not even sure if they are aware of it..!! So frustrating as I feel I can't progress and carry on playing the game now.

Zozobra

Think I'm gonna bite on this one, is the Simplycdkeys deal the best one going right now for a PC key (even though it's up to £17.99)?

Is nobody else playing this game or has the Vettel effect put everyone off?

Seriously the PC version is currently broken for a few users, me included. I'm running Windows 8.1 and any kind of Steam integration has completely gone. We're talking friend and multiplayer chat (so that's any leagues gone), acheivements, literally even the overlay. I can't be the only user on GAF on 8.1 trying to play this game surely? Why is this issue not being raised? The game is a complete farce.

Shaneus

Seriously the PC version is currently broken for a few users, me included. I'm running Windows 8.1 and any kind of Steam integration has completely gone. We're talking friend and multiplayer chat (so that's any leagues gone), acheivements, literally even the overlay. I can't be the only user on GAF on 8.1 trying to play this game surely? Why is this issue not being raised? The game is a complete farce.
We learnt from the other games in the series :/

andshrew

To be fair to them they don't advertise the game as being 8.1 compatible, I'd go back to 8 or 7 if you're having serious issues it may be a while before they are fixed.

psilva

After reading through this thread I still can't decide whether or not to purchase this game. I play quite a lot of F1CE but have stayed away from the Codemasters games due to their renown bugginess/poor handling etc. Can anyone persuade me into taking the plunge? Or should I just stay happy with F1CE?

RIP Studio Liverpool :(

TJP

After reading through this thread I still can't decide whether or not to purchase this game. I play quite a lot of F1CE but have stayed away from the Codemasters games due to their renown bugginess/poor handling etc. Can anyone persuade me into taking the plunge? Or should I just stay happy with F1CE?

RIP Studio Liverpool :(
The hype of F1 2013 is pretty much dead as it's largely the same game as last years with a few additional classic F1 cars (FWIW I own F1 2012 and F1 2013). Wait for a sale and/or more patches.

Juicy Bob

Shaneus, you seem to be rather emotionally invested in seeing this game 'fail'. ;)

I really don't think it's bad. It has some faults, sure, but overall the experience is much better than 2011 or especially 2012 in my opinion. Although I am playing on PS3, which probably helps compared to the Master Racers.

TJP

Shaneus, you seem to be rather emotionally invested in seeing this game 'fail'. ;)
Scorned after an average F1 2012 PC launch where bugs abounded and CM stopped caring after 6 months.

I really don't think it's bad. It has some faults, sure, but overall the experience is much better than 2011 or especially 2012 in my opinion. Although I am playing on PS3, which probably helps compared to the Master Racers.
Ha! We who play F1 on the PC have been the QA team for the last couple of games or so it seems given the amount of patches CM pushed through for F1 2012. I do agree the 2013 version isn't anywhere near as bad as the 2012 game; 'tis a shame that the Dirt series release without any serious issues yet F1 have been beset by them

Vettel effect and codemasters shoddy work creating the perfect storm of meh.

Understandable. It's really pissing me off, my gf got me F1 2013 pc and I think she feels I don't like it. Her face when I explain that Steam isn't working with it properly and all this other crap just seems like excuses.. She literally asked why that's messing up but other games seem fine since I went to 8.1... Fucking Codemasters.

This weekend I've just started playing it without a save or anything and pretending it's fixed just so she doesn't think I'm bullshitting. It's a fucking joke, they should be rushing this patch out of the door asap to get this sorted.

Shaneus

Scorned after an average F1 2012 PC launch where bugs abounded and CM stopped caring after 6 months.

Ha! We who play F1 on the PC have been the QA team for the last couple of games or so it seems given the amount of patches CM pushed through for F1 2012. I do agree the 2013 version isn't anywhere near as bad as the 2012 game; 'tis a shame that the Dirt series release without any serious issues yet F1 have been beset by them
This. After you deal with the frustration of such (unaddressed) bugs as a complete lack of DX11 for multi-GPU PCs in F1 2011 (acknowledged by many on the CM forum as being an issue, but was never fixed) and the plethora of patches that flooded 2012 which never fixed the most critical bugs... honestly, I'd damn well love to see this game fail. Not for those that bought it, but for those that bought the others.

Another patch, the windows 8.1 issue still isn't addressed. Are there any codemasters staff who post here? If there are, can you please explain to me why this issue isn't being resolved while other ridiculous little bugs are? It's madness, the game is completely detatched from Steam for christ sake.

NHale

Another patch, the windows 8.1 issue still isn't addressed. Are there any codemasters staff who post here? If there are, can you please explain to me why this issue isn't being resolved while other ridiculous little bugs are? It's madness, the game is completely detatched from Steam for christ sake.

When someone from Codemasters posted here was always before launch to build hype or to give scarfs and mugs to influential posters.

Who cares about making good games without bugs, let's give swag to influential posters and maybe they will bend.

Shaneus

Here's an interesting bit of info, roadkill: The last guy who posted here for Codemasters is now a community manager for Turn 10 ;)

Wow haha.

So now the codemasters forums are down (yes, really) there seems to be nowhere to chat and discuss this steam overlay issue with this game. Does anyone have a fix? Does anyone really care?

Shaneus

Steam forums maybe? That may be the only thing close to a forum (that's not Facebook or Twitter) you could use.

Zozobra

Ok, so I still haven't bit on this one yet because of the PC issues I've been reading about, but part of me hopes it'll at least be better than 2012.

The regular edition is on sale for £6.99, which is tempting, but that price so soon after release makes me think maybe CM has all but given up on this game.

Juicy Bob

Here's a fun thing I've found for you:

Step 1: Take any classic car, from the 80s or 90s.

Step 2: Head to Monza on Time Trial.

Step 3: Go straight out into a lap and see what top speed you can get at the end of the main straight.

Step 4: Restart the session and check top speed again - this time pressing the DRS button when you enter the zone just after the S/F line.

Step 5: Observe as your car magically goes faster...

Top Bottom