• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Flash

uh how come the "Limit the Audience for Past Posts." is not working for me. I did it and everything from when i opened my account is still there...

Finally got forced into Timeline, at least I can put up a cool cover now.

Two people on my friends list this week posted almost identical status updates (except one in english and one in spanish) about how pissed off they were that timeline has been forced upon them.

Im scared.

Flash

What's the big deal with timeline? I've had it for a few months. It's alright.

not a big fan of how it makes all your older posts so easily accessible... and they make it such a pain to delete posts. How I use facebook now =/ how I used facebook in high school

Fusebox

Banned
The Close Friends feature is completely broken, right? At some point FB decided certain people were close friends and I get notifications when they do almost anything. The problem is if I go to the close friends section, the list is empty and disabling its notifications doesn't have an affect.

I have the same problem.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i'm amused that some people still don't have timeline. Sometimes I accidently find a profile without it on. Feels like looking at old internet.

Wubby

Would be fun if they gave those with timeline the ability to force (nominate?) timeline on those who don't have it yet. Everyone's going to get it eventually anyway.

not a big fan of how it makes all your older posts so easily accessible... and they make it such a pain to delete posts. How I use facebook now =/ how I used facebook in high school
Just accept yourself. Own that shit. Anyone that will judge you on your distant past isn't worth being friends with anyway.

I got a question.

Since I don't link my Instagram with my Facebook, but use the same email, will my Facebook friends be able to automatically follow me if they have Instagram on Facebook despite me not downloading the app for Facebook? I like to keep the accounts seperate.

what le fuck is this shit?? i just logged onto facebook and see i have timeline. thought there was a mistake but then i read an article saying its coming to everyone...

NNOOOOOO :(

what le fuck is this shit?? i just logged onto facebook and see i have timeline. thought there was a mistake but then i read an article saying its coming to everyone...

NNOOOOOO :(

Lol how slow has FB been in implementing this?! I thought everyone would have it by now!

When looking at someone else's timeline, it looks like a hot mess

I got this today too..

"Welcome to Your Timeline — Preview
Timeline is your collection of the photos, posts and experiences that help tell your story. People won't start seeing your Timeline until 23 August. This gives you a chance to:
1. Review what's on your timeline now.
2. Add or hide whatever you want.
Want people to see your timeline before 23 August? Just click Publish Now. Learn more."

FuUUUUUUUUUUU, I am not cool at all with this, I've been doing ok dodging it all this time, looks like they caught up with me.

I agree with the poster saying, I don't want my past posts easily accessed.

Well on the plus side... I am now re-listening to all the cool tunes I posted from YouTube on my fb wall... JCitS: Good taste in music since and before 2006! Awww yeah!

Jimrpg

I got this today too..

"Welcome to Your Timeline — Preview
Timeline is your collection of the photos, posts and experiences that help tell your story. People won't start seeing your Timeline until 23 August. This gives you a chance to:
1. Review what's on your timeline now.
2. Add or hide whatever you want.
Want people to see your timeline before 23 August? Just click Publish Now. Learn more."

FuUUUUUUUUUUU, I am not cool at all with this, I've been doing ok dodging it all this time, looks like they caught up with me.

I agree with the poster saying, I don't want my past posts easily accessed.

Well on the plus side... I am now re-listening to all the cool tunes I posted from YouTube on my fb wall... JCitS: Good taste in music since and before 2006! Awww yeah!

this might have been brought up before - but i see Timeline as another way Facebook farms more data from you...

i mean with the old system you could post current stuff only, now you can add backlog stuff. smart from facebook but really dodgy

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They forced it on me a week or so ago too, it sucks. The wall pictures get cut off and the whole thing looks messy.

Ashhong

Do people even check pages really? I can't remember the last time I looked at someones page and looked at their posts. I mostly check my news feed and that's it. I guess there's gotta be some people that want to snoop around old posts somewhere..

Well, theyve forced timeline upon me.

Jokes on them, as my usage will decline massively, theyll get less ad money, and as a bonus, Ill waste less time and use it more on things that matter.

Win win.

One thing though. There was one (1) thing I was looking forward to with timeline....

Facebook Timeline Lets You See Which Friends Have Unfriended You (PICTURES)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/23/facebook-timeline-unfriend_n_978255.html

.....but I cant seem to make this work. When i go to earlier years, theres no friends box as shown in this article. Did they really remove THAT feature too?

Jzero

Do people even check pages really? I can't remember the last time I looked at someones page and looked at their posts. I mostly check my news feed and that's it. I guess there's gotta be some people that want to snoop around old posts somewhere..
I check product pages a lot but for friends i just look at the newsfeed.

So I finally got the Timeline forced on me, and I've decided I really like it. Having time-based metadata for everything makes sorting content so much easier.

Desmond

Really vain question here guys.

I Added my new University to my Timeline, how the hell can I see who liked the post?
KuGsj.gif

Stet

Banned
Nah, ppeople have liked it. I could see it on my friend's news feed when my friend was signed in, but oddly can't view anything when I'm signed in.

What? haha

If it comes to it, you can check your activity log. Go to your Timeline and add "/allactivity" to the end of the URL.

Zalasta

What does it mean when a friend's album has a big question mark as its preview photo? In the past it has always displayed the most current (or uploaded) picture. Furthermore, when you go into the album it will say it was updated recently, but there doesn't appear to be any new photos added (not to mention the total count is different than the number of pictures viewable).

I read that you can upload photos without publishing (as in allowing them to be viewed publicly) them, is that the case here?

Yay I finally got timeline. Bleh it just reminds me of some of the silly things about Facebook.

Why is it photo albums/galleries (which I've set public...) are visible from the front page public viewing yet for my friends are "hidden" (they're in the right date/geo tagged place so burried in the timeline). The photos button only counts photos I've been tagged in...which is few, hence hardly anyone would view it.

Posting choices. Where is the medium ground between friends and friends of friends. Some people are friends with several hundred people, others a reasonable handful. So I'd rather a friends of friends, except the friends with hundreds. In other words the audience is either too few or too many. Speaking of which...why does friends of friends sometimes have the 3 friends icon and other times the cogwheel icon even for the same thing (the profile pictures gallery)

Quick tip. Highlighting a post makes it take up two columns. Thus, timeline will be single column if you were to do this to everything you've posted..except the bits you can't highlight (which are recent activity and other non-post).

Why hasn't anyone figured out a way to block timeline. :(
Last I checked third party browser extensions offered that. But a way that requires no plugins is just use a rather dated web browser...
Of course with both of these...you'll still have timeline, just won't have to see it.

One thing though. There was one (1) thing I was looking forward to with timeline....

Facebook Timeline Lets You See Which Friends Have Unfriended You (PICTURES)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/23/facebook-timeline-unfriend_n_978255.html

.....but I cant seem to make this work. When i go to earlier years, theres no friends box as shown in this article. Did they really remove THAT feature too?
Yep. You can tell when these formers friends accepted though by looking at the all activity tab and filtering by friends. Got a date list but no name beneath it. There you go. Some third party sites claim to offer the name but most of these turn out to be scams of some sort.

Stet

Banned
What does it mean when a friend's album has a big question mark as its preview photo? In the past it has always displayed the most current (or uploaded) picture. Furthermore, when you go into the album it will say it was updated recently, but there doesn't appear to be any new photos added (not to mention the total count is different than the number of pictures viewable).

I read that you can upload photos without publishing (as in allowing them to be viewed publicly) them, is that the case here?

Sounds like those pictures have been uploaded with privacy settings that you're not a part of.

Sagitario

Is it just me or FB changed recently the way privacy settings work for the Profile Pictures album?

I just changed my profile picture and I found this:

- If you want to change the audience for profile pictures, you have to do it individually for each pic. You used to be able to change the album audience, but not anymore (just like Wall Photos or Mobile Uploads). "You can change the audience for each photo in this album" is the new legend.

- The new uploaded picture is set as "global" by default instead of your current settings for everything else (like "friends", "friends of friends", etc).

Edit:

You can't do this anymore:
T47Bn.png

Only this:
2Ob9O.png

And if you upload a new picture, it's set as global.

Yep. You can tell when these formers friends accepted though by looking at the all activity tab and filtering by friends. Got a date list but no name beneath it. There you go. Some third party sites claim to offer the name but most of these turn out to be scams of some sort.

None of my old fiends stuff is there, for example, it says i havent any friend activity in 2005

Top Bottom