• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Chuunibyo 01

Oh fuck yes this was worth waiting for.
I'm sorry I didn't post my reaction to this earlier but once it was over I was so exhausted from an even bigger clusterfuck at work that I passed out on my keyboard again.
This show is adorable. But not adorable adorable, but HOLY FUCKING ADORABLE OH MY GOD I WANT TO HUG EVERYTHING UNTIL IT EXPLODES AND THEN KEEP HUGGING IT UNTIL I EXPLODE AND THEN EVERYTHING IS EXPLODED HAPPINESS.
The end.
I'm going back to sleep now.
See you in a few hours.

/XX/

Wow, I never thought that you of all people would be my enabler!

Fortunately, the low talent pool of Pixiv artists who specialize in such niche subject matters has saved me from myself.
Not the first time I post about 'strange' content and... very... useful... tags on pixiv, like this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35537010&postcount=7406 or this one http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37701238&postcount=12230.

Maybe you end up liking these artist's entries more... he, he!

Chuunibyo 01

I'm sorry I didn't post my reaction to this earlier but once it was over I was so exhausted from an even bigger clusterfuck at work that I passed out on my keyboard again.
This show is adorable. But not adorable adorable, but HOLY FUCKING ADORABLE OH MY GOD I WANT TO HUG EVERYTHING UNTIL IT EXPLODES AND THEN KEEP HUGGING IT UNTIL I EXPLODE AND THEN EVERYTHING IS EXPLODED HAPPINESS.
The end.
See you in a few hours.

So...cajun approved? :p

Hype level is rising. Will be sure to watch after work tonight.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Chuunibyo 01

The end.
See you in a few hours.

I also called this.

Chuunibyou is bringing kawaii back.

/XX/

Oh god, that seiyuu leak for Medaka Box Abnormal was real.

Kei Munataka: Hiroshi Kamiya
As if Munakata wasn't popular enough! The 'fujoshi' fan-base is going to love this...

Speaking of Brains Base, do you know if Studio Pablo is doing the background art for My Little Monster?
It isn't present on their schedule (http://studio-pablo.com/order.html), and I haven't seen the first episode in question but apparently they didn't work on it. To check that is why I wanted to reach the http://ia.ath.cx/ image database website the other day (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42739235&postcount=3845), as I explained, but it hasn't worked since and I don't know exactly why.

Having said that, the studios that are doing the job have already a well established relationship with Brain's・Base that I'm sure helped to give shape to some of the background work on their recent projects. This is not the merit of only one but lately more prevalent group (as I implied here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39172605&postcount=13970).

It's a pity Regulus Tera was not one of the four people who read the OP.*

*possibly three or fewer
Well, I may not be able to remember your synopsis for every show, but I definitely read the opening post... and even commented a thing about it (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42697136&postcount=2709)!

sorry, we could watch some KyoAnus shows together.
You both already have an interest in watching Girls und Panzer, as I have as well. There is nothing more beautiful than sharing that expectations for such a sweet (and gutsy at the same time) show!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Chuunibyou 1

I like this MC. Got his eyes on the prize.
Can't take my eyes off that hair clip. It looks so out of place.

CAN'T STOP LOOKING AT IT.
Chuunibyo 01
HOLY FUCKING ADORABLE OH MY GOD I WANT TO HUG EVERYTHING UNTIL IT EXPLODES AND THEN KEEP HUGGING IT UNTIL I EXPLODE AND THEN EVERYTHING IS EXPLODED HAPPINESS.
Knew you would like it :D

duckroll

You both already have an interest in watching Girls und Panzer, as I have as well. There is nothing more beautiful than sharing that expectations for such a sweet (and gutsy at the same time) show!

A powerful tank battle has been created by an enviable staff, cute girl characters and 3DCGI! The world has evolved into something different from Japan as we know it. Traditional Japanese girls are expected to have "tank skills" as well as flower arrangement and tea ceremony skills, and every school has a "tank club".

I can't wait!!!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Cajun forced overhype has ruined the show. Off to watch pyscho pass with duckroll
ヽ(´o`;

Defuser

KINTAMA 253
FmzcM.jpg

IT'S BACK MOTHERFUCKERS! The King of Comedy have return! with no less than the starting of Kintama Arc. Oh how I miss you Gintoki!

/XX/

A powerful tank battle has been created by an enviable staff, cute girl characters and 3DCGI! The world has evolved into something different from Japan as we know it. Traditional Japanese girls are expected to have "tank skills" as well as flower arrangement and tea ceremony skills, and every school has a "tank club".

I can't wait!!!
Nice... but tell me one thing if you don't mind, duckroll... would you be watching this adaptation if it wasn't for Mr. Mizushima (& Ms. Yoshida, perhaps, but I suppose mainly for Mr. Mizushima)?

yami4ct

No one appreciates a strong jawline these days!

Man, I love everything about that show. From the awesome music, to the well paced story, to the art direction. Sure, the characters may look weird at first, but it gives the show a style no one else quite has.

Ultimadrago

Gunslinger Girl 13 [END]

This episode is handled with such care. Of course, the same could be said of nearly the entirety of Gunslinger Girl's first season.

The events that pass in this episode regarding the cyborgs feeds directly into the show's statement on exactly how these girls function. Over the course of these past thirteen episodes, the viewer is made aware of the girls' consciousness to their situation. There were those cornered to a feeling of helplessness, some show indifference
at times due to the memory loss
and a few openly joyful.

The ranges were natural elements in handling the minds of humans. Does this work demand that one pity the cyborgs because they are young children trapped within the bodies suited for killers or admire the determination of those that test the stress a human mind can take before keeling in submission? Even when the latter applied, it was at times repelled, if even for a moment.

Taking the subject matter of this series into account, I find that only a notably tight direction could have taken this series anywhere on an emotional level. The animation studio behind this, Madhouse Studios, did remarkable work on these ends. It has its heavier moments when showcasing a message, but the ethics behind it are finely set. I never left an episode where I was being preached to. There is the
death of Lauro
and their actions and feelings towards the cyborgs. However, as one should be able to guess, there were cases considerably more negative than they were. In fact, I share in the episode how the stance taken by the character was approachable and understandable.

When first starting this, I pondered whether Guise would confront SWA about their ideals. However, I am extremely pleased that the show did not tread this route. It would have created a "bad guy" and a "good guy" which would have undermined the atmosphere of the entire season. Instead, the show gives you an understanding of the world, the cyborgs and of the handlers with varying degrees of exposure and interaction to the "outside world".

Speaking on interactions, an interesting aspect on ethics in the show also come into play with who questions the handlers. From episode 10 and 11, the two agents curious about the relationship between cyborg and handler are none other than
SWA members
. They are none other than a different leaf from the same tree, yet they show facial emotions of disgust and confusion when confronted with the truth of their organization. Do they start a revolution against
their organization
? Do they
quit
? No.

The strength of the narrative comes in the general case of not "taking sides". There is no typical "happily ever after" as the girls are left to take their (if I might say so, "quite grim") reality at face value along with the occasionally beautiful occurrences in life that come with it.

It would be best to end these impressions on a note from Schiller's An Die Freude (Ode to Joy), which are the lyrics to Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 - 4th movement:

Do you sense the Creator, world?
Seek Him beyond the starry canopy!
Beyond the stars must He dwell.

duckroll

K - Episode 1

Okay, that was fucking horrible. This is the ugliest digital anime production I have ever watched. The blue/green lighting filter is applied to everything, everywhere. Indoors and outdoors. None of it makes any sense, and I have no idea where the light comes from, but it's like someone fucked up the studio lights in a music video shoot. It looks like that for the entire duration of the show. It's not done for effect, it's how the world looks. Gross.

The music is cheesy and the sound production in general is poor. It sounds really cheap most of the time. The audio complements the visuals well - they're both obnoxious and annoying. The writing is pretty garbage too. The show starts with a "big" action scene involving a ton of characters no one knows, clearly this is meant as some climatic "this is what the show is building up to" scene. Or maybe it's not. I don't know. But it had a bunch of action, explosions, gangsters speaking engrish (engrish script + engrish voice), tons of quick cuts, ugly filters and effects everywhere, made up terms being thrown around to make it seem complex and confusing. It all just felt stupid to me.

Then the show actually started. It wasn't really much different. Things just happen. There's no real pacing or direction. There are some pretty slow long ugly pans with the 3DCG backgrounds. There's a strange boy in a strange school. Apparently some people suddenly want to kill him. Something about a 7th King. More random babbling of terms. Lots of guys showing up to fight each other. Nothing is really explained.

Show sucks. Dropped

Edit: You might enjoy this show if your idea of a good looking show is this:

tzuA4.jpg

K - Episode 1

Okay, that was fucking horrible. This is the ugliest digital anime production I have ever watched. The blue/green lighting filter is applied to everything, everywhere. Indoors and outdoors. None of it makes any sense, and I have no idea where the light comes from, but it's like someone fucked up the studio lights in a music video shoot. It looks like that for the entire duration of the show. It's not done for effect, it's how the world looks. Gross.

The music is cheesy and the sound production in general is poor. It sounds really cheap most of the time. The audio complements the visuals well - they're both obnoxious and annoying. The writing is pretty garbage too. The show starts with a "big" action scene involving a ton of characters no one knows, clearly this is meant as some climatic "this is what the show is building up to" scene. Or maybe it's not. I don't know. But it had a bunch of action, explosions, gangsters speaking engrish (engrish script + engrish voice), tons of quick cuts, ugly filters and effects everywhere, made up terms being thrown around to make it seem complex and confusing. It all just felt stupid to me.

Then the show actually started. It wasn't really much different. Things just happen. There's no real pacing or direction. There are some pretty slow long ugly pans with the 3DCG backgrounds. There's a strange boy in a strange school. Apparently some people suddenly want to kill him. Something about a 7th King. More random babbling of terms. Lots of guys showing up to fight each other. Nothing is really explained.

Show sucks. Dropped
Sounds like the official DTL show of the season.

Andrew J.

Chuunibyo 01

After all the hype about the OP causing seizures and nausea, it turned out to be surprisingly tame. Y'all need to man up, dawg.

This reminds me of Nodame Cantabile, probably because there aren't a lot of shows heavy on male-on-female slapstick.

Lemme guess what the moral of the story is gonna be:

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."-CS Lewis

I'm glad to hear this. I suppose it's bad for WSJ, as it's an admission that they've failed to turn Toriko into the next One Piece, but I was hoping that it wouldn't fall prey to the painfully slow pacing that has infected One Piece as that show drags itself out forever. I'd actually like to watch Toriko.

I'm expecting it to just be a break. The Buu saga won't last forever, so they could just be pulling a Gintama here and letting the manga get a bit further. Toriko is one of the better paced WSJ adaptations, sometimes going at a 3:1 ratio, but they can't get away with that for too long.

Branduil

No. The primary studio being used is Studio Kanon, who worked with Brains Base on Hotarubi no Mori e and Natsume S3, with contributions by Studio Forest, who most recently worked with Kanon and the same art director on Uta Koi.

If you want to see what Studio Pablo is working on, they actually have a schedule up on their website. Assuming each column corresponds to a particular team there, the team working on Sengoku Collection has transitioned to preparing for a 1-cour show in the spring, the team working on Saint Seiya Omega will, after the show ends in March, begin preparing for a 1-cour show in the summer, and a third team that's been working on a game will begin working on a 5 minute show starting January.

It isn't present on their schedule (http://studio-pablo.com/order.html), and I haven't seen the first episode in question but apparently they didn't work on it. To check that is why I wanted to reach the http://ia.ath.cx/ image database website the other day (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42739235&postcount=3845), as I explained, but it hasn't worked since and I don't know exactly why.

Having said that, the studios that are doing the job have already a well established relationship with Brain's・Base that I'm sure helped to give shape to some of the background work on their recent projects. This is not the merit of only one but lately more prevalent group (as I implied here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39172605&postcount=13970).

Well, it's good to see Brains Base is consistently giving us pretty backgrounds regardless of who they contract backgrounds out to.

Articalys

I glanced around the thread and didn't seem to see that anyone posted this yet: Funimation just listed, out of nowhere, a Blu-ray release of Panty & Stocking for December. Oh, and it has new extras that weren't on the DVD set. Best quote I've seen on the matter:
"And now Funi has ensured that anyone who wants a BD release will not purchase a DVD-only set. Good job!"

Ultimadrago

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 1

Eh.

Well, that was an episode...of anime.

Gintama 17-25

Man, when people said episode 25 in the past months, they meant episode 25. The humor in this single episode was substantially funnier than all the past episodes that come to mind. Hopefully, I can find it continually improving.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
K - Episode 1

Show sucks. Dropped

tzuA4.jpg

Everything I wanted and more.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
K - Episode 1

Show sucks. Dropped

tzuA4.jpg

Lol. Well i can say that I never liked the visuals of this show.

Soma

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Oom5r-cWY

- OP wasn't as bad as everyone was making it out to be
- Rikka was pretty adorable
- Main dude is alright
- Animation was nice though not as good as Hyouka (then again what is lolol)
- Yuuta's mom is best girl already

All in all, not bad. Not great. Will probably keep watching.

Ultimadrago

K - Episode 1

Show sucks. Dropped

Sounds like I don't need to bother with this anymore. It's exactly what I expected: trashy nonsense story with ugly GoHands filters getting in the way of whatever good animation there is. The people in charge at that studio need eye transplants.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sounds like I don't need to bother with this anymore. It's exactly what I expected: trashy nonsense story with ugly GoHands filters getting in the way of whatever good animation there is. The people in charge at that studio need eye transplants.

Wait. What studio is doing K.

Gintama 17-25

Man, when people said episode 25 in the past months, they meant episode 25. The humor in this single episode was substantially funnier than all the past episodes that come to mind. Hopefully, I can find it continually improving.

Excellent. Episode 25 is indeed incredible, and it gets better from there. Enjoy!

Wait. What studio is doing K.

As I mentioned, GoHands. The same problem plagued their Mardock Scramble films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom