• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poyopoyo 39

kNtDw.jpg

Yay, Mid-Autumn Festival time. Mooncake season!

Narag

Gintama 39

Who knew Katsura could carry an episode on his own? I suppose it's a testament to the strength of the cast.

oh man. I've tried those before.
Didn't like it. I was disappointed.

Which kind?

These days, there are a crazy amount of different varieties of different fillings both inside and in the middle. It can even vary depending on which bakeries you are getting it from too.

cajunator

Banned
Which kind?

These days, there are a crazy amount of different varieties of different fillings both inside and in the middle. It can even vary depending on which bakeries you are getting it from too.

well I didnt have a lot of choice. It was packaged from a local asian market.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
First Manglobe, now Brain base. Who is next to fall from grace?

BB's far from fallen from grace, fortunately. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Blood Lad, Penguinbear (?), and Amnesia all argue for a fairly bright future, at least in the short term.

Manglobe be well and truly dead, though. I should really watch Saraiya Goyou one of these days.

BB's far from fallen from grace, fortunately. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Blood Lad, Penguinbear (?), and Amnesia all argue for a fairly bright future, at least in the short term.

I didnt realize they were doing all of those (watching them all) :/ Apparently theyre now on my least favorite studios list, so my confidence in them is low :(

Jarmel

Banned
Kokoro Connect 13

This was a great episode that served as a rather satisfying conclusion to the third arc. It wasn’t my favorite or the most exciting arc of the three, but only because it wasn’t allowed the more relaxed pacing of the previous two. It did, however, excellently remedy several of the flaws within the story and characterization.

Inaba is easily my favorite character, but I really enjoyed the heightened focus on Iori throughout this episode, even though it only seemed to scratch the surface of her emotional scars. Iori's subtle moments of self-doubt that have been delicately placed throughout the narrative continued in this episode, what with all her verbalized regrets and implied failures in the past, culminating with Heartseed's rather tempting offer to allow her to correct these mistakes, and, even though it signified a bit of a rushed resolution, Inaba and Taichi taking Iori's hands was a nice moment, as it alluded to how strong their friendship continues to be. Her secretive torments, of course, only seem slightly resolved, and it definitely appears as though she still has a plethora of hidden, painful emotions that have yet to be addressed and fully examined. Not to mention, the uncertainties concerning her true nature that still plague her. This vague, wavering dichotomy between the façade she wears for others and her actual self has always been exceptionally portrayed, deftly hinting at what is yet to come for her.

Her last line was especially illuminating, since it effectively foreshadows the furthering of her gradual development, and this moment likely sets up what a portion of the next arc will focus on, particularly that of her love for Taichi. Of course, I'm not entirely certain that she ever strongly loved him in the first place, considering how she continually distanced herself from any real romantic development, portrayed particularly when she allowed Inaba to aggressively pursue a relationship with Taichi without any sort of protest. As such, her emotional connection towards Taichi appears to have potentially evolved into just another aspect of the layered mask that she's constructed over time. Knowing all this, it seems a rather inevitable conclusion that the Taichi x Inaba pairing will eventually materialize. Of course, I think this is the best direction to take, since the Inaba x Taichi relationship has always been far more believable and interesting, consistently solidifying itself as one of the best dynamics of the show. They certainly have more realistic and satisfying chemistry than any he's been shown to have with Iori.

All in all, Kokoro Connect continues to exceed expectations and considerably satisfy with it’s subtle character development, intriguing story, and the terrific manner in which it consistently balances the dramatic emotions with the occasional moments of levity. The blend of all these impressive qualities provide a compelling narrative that rarely ever falters in it's execution. I'm really looking forward to the final arc, and hopefully it delivers with the same excellence of the first three, since, if it does, this will definitely end as one of the best shows of the year.

Well this sums my opinion up on the show. Pisses me off that I might have to watch till Feb and March of next year to see Michi Random. Damn it.

I am forever grateful to this random guy at an animecon who talked me into not dropping the show. Best anime advice I've ever been given.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon Returns 1

It's always a good sign when I get too engaged by the anime and lose track of time not realizing I just spent 22 mins watching the episode. Not that many anime can have this effect on me these days.

Instro

Accel World OVA 1

Well that was fun, except for the real life stuff of course. Work up the courage to call her by her first name huh? God he is so terrible.

Defuser

Can't beat Baccano, Durarara, penguindrum and Kuragehime except the potential penguinbear.
Manglobe be well and truly dead, though. I should really watch Saraiya Goyou one of these days.
Funny, the only thing I would care from them is a Sacred Blacksmith sequel for some reason although the show is average.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didnt realize they were doing all of those (watching them all) :/ Apparently theyre now on my least favorite studios list, so my confidence in them is low :(

I looked at your MAL, and unless I missed something, the only Brains Base series that you've completed and scored is Sengoku Collection. I know that you didn't enjoy that, but the list of least favorite studios that MALgraph generates is less accurate the fewer shows you've seen from a particular studio. If you've somehow managed to only see a single stray bad work from a generally-good studio, MALgraph is going to skew your results in the completely wrong direction.

Assuming your MAL is up to date and accurate on what you have and haven't seen, stuff like Natsume Yuujinchou, Baccano!, Durarara!, and Innocent Venus seem like they'd be your bag more or less. You should backlog 'em.

Assuming your MAL is up to date and accurate on what you have and haven't seen, stuff like Natsume Yuujinchou, Baccano!, Durarara!, and Innocent Venus seem like they'd be your bag more or less. You should backlog 'em.

Saw just about all of baccano but was so confused, didnt realize I didnt have it up there.

Didnt ever look into Natsume, it always seemed like itd be one of those really slow and mellow anime?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Saw just about all of baccano but was so confused, didnt realize I didnt have it up there.

Didnt ever look into Natsume, it always seemed like itd be one of those really slow and mellow anime?

Yeah, Natsume is pretty mellow, but I think you'd be highly fond of the character designs.

Baccano! is pretty hectic, and while I think that it's one of the greatest anime ever made, I totally understand why some people find it difficult to watch. If you wanted to like Baccano! but just couldn't, you may appreciate Durarara!. It has the same intertwining of narratives, but at a slower pace and with a smaller core cast than Baccano! so it's more approachable.

Also, just google some pictures of Heiwajima Shizuo and Orihara Izaya. There's your motivation.

Smile Precure 15

I wish every episode was a Wolfrun episode.

Very good things lie in wait for you if this is the case.

Based on the prescreening impressions and Shinji Takamatsu's presence, I don't think it'll be as bad as you might think.

I appreciate the ray of hope.

DiGiKerot

where does NISA source all these lovely artbooks anyway?
Every one of their releases have them and they are very nice quality.

In terms on content? Usually they comprise of a combination of re-purposed assets from inserts from the Japanese releases and unused cover art.

Oh the episode of SAO did show that there are some good songs on the OST. All of the tracks with vocals used in the anime are my favorite. Though its a shame they didnt have the creative masterminds of the people sunrise got for Accel World songs, and is there a third Accel World soundtrack?

Coxy

Candidate for Goddess 1-12

Finally finished watching this fucking terrible series and NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENED. Robots and catgirls should be a no brainer but every time it's dreadful shite like this. There's like five casts of characters in this series, none of them have any character development at all, the fat guy gets thinner and that's about it. 60-70% of the characters have between zero and two lines of dialogue. The vast majority of the script is the main character yelping inane phrases "Why? Huh? What? Huh? Why? I'll become a pilot. Why?" It's like they couldnt afford actual voice acting for most of the episodes and just recorded a few stock spiky haired moron protag grunts to pad it out. On the topic of low budget the CG is insanely bad, there are scenes where the exact same enemy, in the exact same pose, in the exact same direction is copy/pasted hundreds of times. The mechs themselves next to never do anything, they just have floating doodads to do everything because animating is hard. The direction is poor to the point of being baffling at times, there's a scene of about 2 minutes of a clock ticking and birds tweeting with the character sitting there smiling, then epic fanfares of heroic action music as he finishes his breakfast, stands up and opens the door. Not to mention
hey, you betrayed us, sabotaged my partner and nearly got him killed, but hey let's sing together because fuck it we need to end this shit somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom