• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kokoro Connect - 13

hjE8V.jpg

That was pretty solid. Can't wait for whenever Michi Random happens, but overall from what has aired, this is a show that I really felt like the melodrama was well done and was a benefit to the characterization and plot as a device to really move things forward and flesh everyone out. I always think it's funny when people say something has "forced melodrama" when the very nature of melodrama itself is something that is forced to accomplish something. Kokoro Connect handles melodrama convincingly. I think what really sold it were the actors, who I thought did a really good job at not sounding half-hearted at all, and really put weight and conviction into their deliveries. You can say what you want about the content itself, but the way is was presented was well-done.

This is probably 100% my dark horse of the season.

100% truth ... The voice actor work really made this show believable ...

Thoraxes

Campione! - 11

Overprotective imoutos
is like one of my Top 5 Favorite Things In Anime, so I was quite pleased by this episode.

OMO1b.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Candidate for Goddess 1-12

Finally finished watching this fucking terrible series and NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENED. Robots and catgirls should be a no brainer but every time it's dreadful shite like this. There's like five casts of characters in this series, none of them have any character development at all, the fat guy gets thinner and that's about it. 60-70% of the characters have between zero and two lines of dialogue. The vast majority of the script is the main character yelping inane phrases "Why? Huh? What? Huh? Why? I'll become a pilot. Why?" It's like they couldnt afford actual voice acting for most of the episodes and just recorded a few stock spiky haired moron protag grunts to pad it out. On the topic of low budget the CG is insanely bad, there are scenes where the exact same enemy, in the exact same pose, in the exact same direction is copy/pasted hundreds of times. The mechs themselves next to never do anything, they just have floating doodads to do everything because animating is hard. The direction is poor to the point of being baffling at times, there's a scene of about 2 minutes of a clock ticking and birds tweeting with the character sitting there smiling, then epic fanfares of heroic action music as he finishes his breakfast, stands up and opens the door. Not to mention
hey, you betrayed us, sabotaged my partner and nearly got him killed, but hey let's sing together because fuck it we need to end this shit somehow.

The only good thing about this show, and I mean ONLY thing, is Kizna Towryk.

OceanBlue

Campione! - 11

Overprotective imoutos
is like one of my Top 5 Favorite Things In Anime, so I was quite pleased by this episode.

OMO1b.jpg

The Mariya sisters are great. To be honest, I'm not really watching the anime, but I'd imagine that they captured Hikari's personality well enough.

How is the Campione anime? I've just been reading the light novels, so I haven't really bothered to watch the anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Just wait till you see the rest of the cast!

ahahaha, my response exactly. If Sena is already this repugnant to you (granted, I don't believe she gets a proper character introduction in the first episode), better to just bail out now because she's the only member of the harem worth half a damn to begin with.

Firemind

I liked how the reason he went into the classroom was because he hoped it'd turn into something he read from a light novel. This stuff is deep.

Blondie is setting up a dynamic, so that's something. I guess I'll give this the three episode test and see how it unfolds.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl - 02

Tomari (twintailed girl in above pic) has trouble coming to terms with the fact that the boy she's been in love with since they were kids is now a girl. Plagued with fears that the new Hazumu will begin to change even further (liking boys), she begins to distance herself from to avoid further heartbreak. The comedic elements were so-so in this episode, I chuckled at the pervy dad trying to convince Hazumu to bathe with him only to get KO'd by the mother, but the "teacher falling into a hole" joke is getting terribly old.. and we're only 2 episodes in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I don't know how I feel about shows dumping extra episodes to DVD or web broadcasts or whatever. I assume it's a throwback to the old OVA model of just selling episodes to people directly, but with the way that Kokoro Connect ends, it makes you wonder if there was even a point to the TV broadcast in the first place.

jbug617

Banned
SAO 13

First half of the episode was basically a waste of time. The second half is when all the cool stuff happened. Weird time to end the episode but had a great shot to end the episode.

You know, I don't know how I feel about shows dumping extra episodes to DVD or web broadcasts or whatever. I assume it's a throwback to the old OVA model of just selling episodes to people directly, but with the way that Kokoro Connect ends, it makes you wonder if there was even a point to the TV broadcast in the first place.

I think the show is one of the best of they year but I think more people will remember the show for the incident with the voice actor in the long run.

Maybe the arc is too extreme for tv?

Thoraxes

The Mariya sisters are great. To be honest, I'm not really watching the anime, but I'd imagine that they captured Hikari's personality well enough.

How is the Campione anime? I've just been reading the light novels, so I haven't really bothered to watch the anime.

I'm the opposite and have only seen the anime but know none of the light novels. I'd imagine like everything that's adapted they're leaving things out, but for me the concept is solid (despite how dumb it sounds), and I think all the powers, gods, and harem work nice in this show. As for Hikari, she hasn't actually had much screentime, but she has a good sense of being able to read her sister and is a funnily aggressive in telling her to go after her desires after reading her like a book.

In my picture is actually Shizuka.

I also think that every character's personality really comes across well, and it's easy to get a grasp on who they are and how they'll act, with both visuals and VA-work.
ahahaha, my response exactly. If Sena is already this repugnant to you (granted, I don't believe she gets a proper character introduction in the first episode), better to just bail out now because she's the only member of the harem worth half a damn to begin with.
The next member in line I thought of on the fanservice chart would be Kobato.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 17

This was pretty much a whole episode dedicated to marching to a battle and some fairly lightweight tactical discussion. There really weren't any CG moments that stood out to be gifable so you'll have to settle for screens. Infact, they slowly seem to be getting better at making the CG not look like complete shit. Still, the transitions from the CG to the drawn stuff is as awkard as ever.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I feel like people don't know how to count unless they really they mean that the second half of SAO 13 was great. IRCC, it was only 3 minutes and unless the show is 6 minutes, I'm sure 3 minutes isn't really the second half....

Kingdom 17

This was pretty much a whole episode dedicated to marching to a battle and some fairly lightweight tactical discussion. There really weren't any CG moments that stood out to be gifable so you'll have to settle for screens. Infact, they slowly seem to be getting better at making the CG not look like complete shit. Still, the transitions from the CG to the drawn stuff is as awkard as ever.

This goes along with my suspicions that Kingdom is being used as a training ground for inexperienced CG animators.

I feel like people don't know how to count unless they really they mean that the second half of SAO 13 was great. IRCC, it was only 3 minutes and unless the show is 6 minutes, I'm sure 3 minutes isn't really the second half....

Im quite sure when people say the second half they mean the part after the vacation period is over.

Uchip

Banned
Kingdom 17

who needs a texture artist when you have the render clouds filter from photoshop!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe the arc is too extreme for tv?
I think it's probably more that they can't afford or are unable to extend the 3 episodes to 13 to make it a 2 cour show. lol

I dunno. Saki is or was doing the same thing, but those bonus episodes haven't appeared anywhere.

I think the show is one of the best of they year but I think more people will remember the show for the incident with the voice actor in the long run.
I totally forgot about that. :p
Has the show already bomba'ed because of that?

----

I figure I should ask the Precure people here... having just caught up with Smile Precure, I'm almost shocked by the number of power ups they keep getting. Is that par for the course? I mean they're about 20ish episodes away from the end, so presumably they have a lot more stuff to go, but it seems like they're already super-duper-crazy-powered up now.

OceanBlue

I'm the opposite and have only seen the anime but know none of the light novels. I'd imagine like everything that's adapted they're leaving things out, but for me the concept is solid (despite how dumb it sounds), and I think all the powers, gods, and harem work nice in this show. As for Hikari, she hasn't actually had much screentime, but she has a good sense of being able to read her sister and is a funnily aggressive in telling her to go after her desires after reading her like a book.

In my picture is actually Shizuka.

I also think that every character's personality really comes across well, and it's easy to get a grasp on who they are and how they'll act, with both visuals and VA-work.

Oops. Shizuka's and Hikari's hairstyles are pretty similar, so I mix them up a lot. I need to start looking for the buns.

I actually think the concept would appeal to a lot of people if they took out the harem shenanigans. Of course, I love harem anime so I'm okay either way, but it's a really nice premise on paper and there's always a good balance between action and harem. I personally really like Campione.

What you've said sounds encouraging. I think I might try the anime out. I've always been hesitant because you develop your own image of how things happen when you read and it doesn't always match up with anime adaptations, but your impression seems pretty positive.

cajunator

Banned
Oops. Shizuka's and Hikari's hairstyles are pretty similar, so I mix them up a lot. I need to start looking for the buns.

I actually think the concept would appeal to a lot of people if they took out the harem shenanigans. Of course, I love harem anime so I'm okay either way, but it's a really nice premise on paper and there's always a good balance between action and harem. I personally really like Campione.

What you've said sounds encouraging. I think I might try the anime out. I've always been hesitant because you develop your own image of how things happen when you read, and it doesn't always match up with anime adaptations, but your impression seems pretty positive.

I highly approve of your avatar.

Awefull ..stick to reaading the novel if you've already started reading them..
They've captured most of the cast personlaity well but they've skiped a lot of stuff and rearranged some fights ( like the voban fight..the perseus fight was rushed )
Everything moves too fast and they even resolted to ending the anime with a filler.
The book are better , more travia , more time to express everyone motives and personalities.

it's like they didn't have enough money to animate everything
the only thing they adapted well are the kiss scenes

Adapting 5 book in 13 episodes is clearly rushing and they totally ignored a lot of stuff in those 5 books

Nasu: Summer in Andalusia

This film is most notable for being that rare breed of anime - a completely realistic story taking place in the present day, not set in or involving Japan in any way. Instead, it is set in the Andalusian region of southern Spain. I've only briefly visited the area, but if my memory can be trusted the art here accurately captures its landscape. The scenery may be barren, but I find there's a certain rugged beauty to the rolling hills and olive fields.

It also tackles a sport rarely seen not only in anime but in film in general - cycling. Pepe, our protagonist, is a professional cyclist taking part in the Vuelta a España (Tour of Spain) multi-stage race. He is a backup racer, whose role is to support the favored member of his sponsor's team. However, on the day that the race is travelling through his hometown - which happens to be the day of his brother's wedding - he seizes the opportunity to defy his sponsor's expectations and display his strength in front of his family.

While this was produced by Madhouse, the man behind it, Kitaro Kousaka, primarily works for Ghibli (he was the character designer for Whisper of the Heart), and the characters have that Ghibli look to them.

Aside from a few moments (the wedding dance, for instance) the animation isn't outstanding, but it is solid and does a good job of expressing the speed and exertion that make up the experience of bicycle racing. I especially liked the rougher art in the final push to the finish, appropriate for showing the racers putting out every last ounce of energy they have, and it went a long way towards creating tension as I anxiously waited to see who would end up winning the race.

I say "film", but this is really very short for one, only clocking in at 45 minutes. Perhaps because of that shortness, the characters don't feel fully fleshed-out, even though we do get some motivating backstory for Pepe. His relationship with his family isn't dwelt on enough for me to form a strong emotional connection with him. Not to mention that the direction, while solid, has very little that stands out about it. Thus ultimately I can't say this is strong enough to be memorable, but it is certainly a pleasant watch and a nice change of pace from more typical anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Awefull ..stick to reaading the novel if y'ouve already started ..
They've captured most of the cast personlaity well but they've skiped a lot of stuff and rearranged some fight ( like the voban fights )
Everything moves too fast and they even resolted to ending the anime with a filler.
The book are better , more travia , more time to express everyone motives and personalities.

Let's be honest, if you're un-ironically watching Campione, isn't that what you're there for?

OceanBlue

I highly approve of your avatar.

Kuroneko is great. That's why I'm glad there's an S2.

Awefull ..stick to reaading the novel if y'ouve already started ..
They've captured most of the cast personlaity well but they've skiped a lot of stuff and rearranged some fights ( like the voban fight..the perseus fight was rushed )

Aww, now my expectations are deflated.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

It's just a sales tactic. I suppose that the thinking is that dangling a "true end" in front of viewers helps to stem the decline in BD sales for a series over the course of its home release, and they're a smaller investment with potentially larger reward due to not having to pay broadcast fees for the episode on top of production costs.

I suppose that television broadcasts still have to happen in order to establish properties and gain mindshare. Casting the widest net possible is still vitally important as anime don't exist solely to sell BDs, but a wide range of goods related to the given property. Furthermore, I assume that series-length OVAs are just too risky in the current market--OVAs slated for only a few episodes are easier to buy sight unseen because they're a smaller financial investment. I don't necessarily believe that OVAs and televised series serve a common purpose, anyway--true original OVAs, not just "bonus episodes", are sometimes for a smaller audience by design, whether due to subject matter that isn't commercially viable, production qualities that make animating on a traditional broadcast schedule unfeasible, etc.

Sure, a couple of televised anime franchises have basically evolved to exclusively release new installments in OVA format (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, for instance) but these are usually properties that gained popularity on television to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom