• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I have time, might as well. If I'm going to watch a bad show, I want to get it over with as quickly as possible. This isn't Casshern Sins, I doubt marathoning this will break me.

zIq6Z.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You know, after watching Code Geass: Akito the Exiled I thought that there wasn't really anything special about the script. However, the fact that I pick out a single line of dialogue from that episode while causally scrolling through hundreds of posts must mean that they did something right. I haven't even given a proper analysis of the OVA yet but I really want to mention how strong the nationalism is.

As any viewer of the original Code Gess will no doubt be aware, in that show the proud and noble Japanese people have been subjugated by the cruel British Empire. Their people have even lost their name - they've been dubbed "elevens" rather than Japanese. Cue many years of suffering for the Japanese people etc etc. Flash forward to this new Akito OVA. While the setting is no longer British held Japan, the blatant racism against Japanese people continues for no apparent reason. I guess there are lots of Japanese refugees around, or whatever, but considering that Europe is fighting Britannia I don't really see why they'd treat allies in that conflict so harshly - except to fill the show with a nationalistic "rar-rar" spirit of the true Japanese warrior going alone against the enemy. Apparently we Europeans just hate Japanese people and their martial arts.
I think the idea they tried to convey with the refugee camps is that they fear the Japanese because of their association with the Britannians, similar to how WWII-era USA treated the Japanese Americans. It wasn't too clear, obviously.

Jex

I think the idea they tried to convey with the refugee camps is that they fear the Japanese because of their association with the Britannians, similar to how WWII-era USA treated the Japanese Americans. It wasn't too clear, obviously.

I didn't really get that impression. Everyone just called them dirty elevens and thinks they know martial arts! They even insult them as they fight in the war against Britannia.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I didn't really get that impression. Everyone just called them dirty elevens and thought they knew martial arts!
Alternatively it could just be a caricature of how refugee groups are generally discriminated against in war times, like the Jews or the Gypsies.

Look, I'm trying to save Sunrise some face here.

Branduil

I just want to say that Lelouche really isn't alone in this. Just look back on the character he's a clone of - Light from Death Note. There's whole episodes of Death Note devoted to Light testing the powers of the Death Note.

Moreover, both these characters are 'anime smart' in that: their opponents do stupid things or their strategies always work flawlessly or their ability to predict the actions of people is magically always correct or all of the above.

Well, there's a major roadblock in writing intelligent characters in fiction as a whole: your smartest character can only ever be as smart as the author themselves. So if your protagonist is a genius, it's very likely that most of the characters will be stupid, simply because the author is probably not a true genius.

It doesn't help that anime likes to throw around "genius" characters like it's nothing. In most cases it ends up being nothing but an informed attribute(when does Asuka display top-percentile intelligence?). This is one reason why I don't have a problem with how Monster dealt with the issue of Johan's machinations by mostly never showing them. Showing the full details of his plans would likely have resulted in something very silly and unbelievable.

cajunator

Banned
I adored the Unico movies. Just wish there was more stuff like this. Nutcracker Fantasy looks neat too, especially with this being the description for the opening on youtube:

I second Unico. Good movies. Twisted, disturbing cute movies.

You definitely need to watch School Days.

another experience not to be missed.

If Joe Nathan was an anime character:

EwFhC.jpg

thanks for nothing texas

Holy shit. I love how far this meme has gone.

What does "Nice Boat" mean?

EHEHEHEH HEEHEE

duckroll

You can see that this is untrue by simply observing how they treat different characters in the show. Leila is also an exile, in fact her family was exiled from Britannia, a noble family from the enemy empire itself. They should be treated with even more fear. But no, they are welcomed, their children adopted into power families, they've viewed with interest and not disgust, and they can grow up holding leadership roles in the military.

Meanwhile the Japanese? They looked down upon, rejected, used as canon fodder, and even military drivers don't like them. Commanding Officers make comments about how their lives are useless, talk shit about how they're only good as KAMIKAZE, and nobles see them as brutes who know SCARY ASIAN NINJA SKILLZ. The displaced refugees are fenced off, they're not well looked after, and they all have this sad resigned look on their faces.

And all this is set in a world where the Japanese were never at war with anyone, there is no America, there was no Pearl Harbor, and there is zero reason for anyone outside of Japan to have this ultra xenophobic racist viewpoint of the Japanese people.

So how do we explain it? Is it really just bad writing? I don't think so. In fact, I find the refugee situation in Akito very familiar. I've seen it before. In anime even. Where? Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The story, especially in the second season, depicts a future Japan with a refugee problem due to conflict in the surrounding Asian region. Refugees are displaced into Japan, and the people in Japan hate it. This is natural and realistic because Japan by nature is a xenophobic closed nation. Foreigners are viewed differently, and refugees are foreigners who have no "good" reason to be in the country. This becomes a social problem.

Since Akito is a Japanese anime production intended for a Japanese audience, created by Japanese staff, it is not really that surprising that their viewpoint would be extremely Japanese in nature. So even when they are dealing with a story which supposedly takes place in Europe, and the refugees are Japanese, while the country in question are filled with Europeans (which in this case seems to basically be Generic White People), their perspective of how refugees of a different ethnic group would be treated is based on their personal view of how a situation like this would play out in Japan.

That's how I see it. Seems to make sense to me.

Branduil

Meanwhile the Japanese? They looked down upon, rejected, used as canon fodder, and even military drivers don't like them. Commanding Officers make comments about how their lives are useless, talk shit about how they're only good as KAMIKAZE, and nobles see them as brutes who know SCARY ASIAN NINJA SKILLZ. The displaced refugees are fenced off, they're not well looked after, and they all have this sad resigned look on their faces.

And all this is set in a world where the Japanese were never at war with anyone, there is no America, there was no Pearl Harbor, and there is zero reason for anyone outside of Japan to have this ultra xenophobic racist viewpoint of the Japanese people.

Man when you put it like this it almost sounds like Code Geass as a franchise is pandering to extreme nationalists.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well in both the original Code Geass and in Akito, the situation is lamented by the protagonists, so in a weird way it's a kind of cultural self revelation.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Joshikousei - 03

Girls attend a date party to meet some guys, get really jealous when one of their friends finds a guy, and then
rips off his clothes to satisfy their curiosity.

This show...What the hell?! :lol

Branduil

The lesson here is that back in the day, before they were flooding store shelves with the sickeningly cute image of Hello Kitty pasted onto t-shirts, lunchboxes, and vibrators, Sanrio was creating great-looking, memorable, emotionally crushing animated kids films that pulled no punches. I've got something called Nutracker Fantasy lined up to be watched soon - it's even stop-motion, a big rarity in Japanese animation - and of course I recommend the Unico movies if you haven't seen them yet.

Speaking of Nutcrackers, I always found The Nutcracker Prince cartoon from Warner Brothers to be full of nightmare fuel. I mean besides the prince who turns into a nutcracker, you have a princess who gets turned into a disgusting, screeching goblin-like creature, and then of course this scene of terrifying dental anguish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom