• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

So anyway, with 19 films submitted, that means there will be the maximum of five nominations... think either Momo or Wind Rises have a chance at making the final list?

Just heard: http://variety.com/2013/film/awards/oscars-19-films-submit-for-feature-animation-oscar-1200798376/

Wolf Children is not even being submitted for nomination. It's over. Wrap it up. Anime is dead. RIP.

Meanwhile at Studio Ghibli
iLWYKcO7NnQ18.gif

NeonZ

I wonder how they
got trapped inside it then. I also wonder why they're just kinda going through the motions and not really concerned with finding out how to get out. I guess it's too early for that though. Then again, if I were trapped in a game and had awesome powers, I don't think I'd want to leave anyway. So long as my physical body wasn't rotting somewhere at least.

At this point, I think there are only two possible explanations. Either a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance scenario where there's actual magic that somehow modified and replaced the real world (although that wouldn't explain why only the people playing the game got dragged there), or it's a Danganronpa scenario where
people's memories of how they actually got into that situation were erased, and the ones there likely volunteered to participate in some big experiment
, possibly connected to that expansion they mention that came out right in the day everything started.

Either way, it likely won't be a very satisfying explanation, which is probably why the show is avoiding it in the first place. Based on the comments I've seen elsewhere, I don't think even the original source has revealed what's really going on.

So anyway, with 19 films submitted, that means there will be the maximum of five nominations... think either Momo or Wind Rises have a chance at making the final list?

Wind Rises probably, because of the Miyazaki prestige and the Disney backing.

Is it usually the production company that's responsible for submitting the film to the academy?

I think it would be the distributor of the film in the U.S., which in Wolf Children's case would be GKIDS. GKIDS would have been the one to submit Letter to Momo.

Branduil

I think it would be the distributor of the film in the U.S., which in Wolf Children's case would be GKIDS. GKIDS would have been the one to submit Letter to Momo.
They're both GKIDS? That would make this truly inexplicable, unless they thought it gave them a better chance if they only submitted one, AND they thought LtM had a better chance. In which case... LOL.

Mr.Jeff

Azumanga is one of the few shows to make me cry, and Hidamari is going to be potentially devastating later this month.
If yo get round to the last series of Aria it may cause some indoor rain.

You mean you've not seen it twice already?

-edit-
Oh, and speaking of Yoshiura, I got my Time of Eve kickstarter coffee cup and canister yesterday. Also, I've still not seen Time of Eve.
I would say that Time of Eve was probably on the whole better than Patema Inverted. Not say that it's bad bu ToE felt more like a complete work which wraps up nicely whereas after recovering from the hype, Patema has some niggling questions and a couple other bits I would pick at. Still a very enjoyable movie though.

Actually, now that I watch this, I should probably point out that there are a couple of proper huge-ass spoilers in that PV that aren't difficult to pick up on if you pay enough attention.

Watch at your own peril and all that.
Had a watch through and yeah there are some elements from the latter half of the film that appear quickly but you'd really have to know why those shots are spoilers to feel spoiled by them[/i].

I never actually finished VVV's first season, so here
we
go
  • Valvrave the Liberator - 08
Oh yeah, someone just died. Now I'm up to speed.
BURITZENDEGEN

So you guys are getting bombed like crazy, yet you don't go into a bomb shelter of some kind?

believe in the eruerufu who believes in you

DiGiKerot

(Talking about Patema...)

Had a watch through and yeah there are some elements from the latter half of the film that appear quickly but you'd really have to know why those shots are spoilers to feel spoiled by them.

I dunno, I kind of feel that
the shot of the protagonist jumping over hole/sky at the bottom of the shaft, from the very end of the movie, is going to come across as immediately odd to anyone who pays any real attention to it
. Maybe that is just hindsight, though.

Mature

I've been watching a lot of good stuff lately with a friend for no particular reason!

Angel's Egg
I liked it. It's pretty easy to see how this film get's it's sort of... 'notoriety'? It's almost entirely allegorical, which can be a bit grating after awhile, but it has enough going on visually to hold you through the 71 minute run time. I especially loved the prominently featured Amano art; from the character design to the beautiful architecture. The film was unique, if nothing else.

The Castle of Cagliostro
It's kind of miraculous that I hadn't seen this up until now given the lavish praise I always hear. I haven't seen a whole lot of Lupin, but It's always great to watch. That coupled with it being a Miyazaki film makes this a pretty easy recommendation. It almost (almost) seemed a bit slower than other Lupin films I've seen, in that there was more breathing room between bits of intrigue and action. Not a bad thing to be sure. All-in-all it felt competently produced with an admittedly expected visual charisma and a solid direction. It made me a bit more excited for Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie coming the beginning of next month.

I think next week we'll probably end up watching Vampire Hunter D and maybe Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue.

• Valvrave 09
RIP in peace

at this point the Dorssians are like Team Rocket, trying to catch the Valvraves through constant head-on attack every single episode.

You're in the middle of a serious battle and you have time to pontificate on your dead girlfriend alright then

BLUE VALVRAVE TIME WITH CROSSBOW SHIELD ACTION

YELLOW VALVRAVE WITH OCTOPUS PUNCHING ACTION

is it just me, or do the new valvraves seem stronger than the last one by appearance

just in case you needed a little encouragement, here's a space ghost

Unbreakable Machine-Doll 5

Really liking Frey. Don't even need to mention her ample bust(+1) to say that she's just as cute as the rest of the girls in the show. Still one of the most incompetent assassins I've seen in awhile. Her doll Rabi looks awesome, but that just might be my love for dogs showing off.

Loki seems like quite the asshole. But I can't help but think that him and Raishin are going to be the bestest of friends. Little sister Komurasaki seems like she'll be a fun addition as well.

Charl going Tsundere so hard after that conversation with Raishin was fun and so was jealous Yaya. Sigmund is such a bro, his talk with Yaya was very sweet.

Mr.Jeff

(Talking about Patema...)

I dunno, I kind of feel that
the shot of the protagonist jumping over hole/sky at the bottom of the shaft, from the very end of the movie, is going to come across as immediately odd to anyone who pays any real attention to it
. Maybe that is just hindsight, though.

Seriously spoilers for the ending of Patema:

Well it is an odd shot but I feel it's only a spoiler since we both know why it is one. I mean for instance, the story could have been that for some reason Main Guy™ somehow manages to change his orientation and stand on the "ceiling" like Patema does. Without knowing the context, I'd say you'd have to be really thinking hard about why that shot is there.

• Valvrave 10
thunder is totally a bad guy in the making. or actually, more like Kinon from TTGL.

Shoko's always got the best moments in this show. It sucks to see her and Haruto grow farther apart -- but that's how these things go ---WAAAH?

You are weak Haruto. You are the worst. And somehow Shoko still goes for you because anime

HAHAHAHAHA blonde boy has like this whole plan of how to conduct things, Shoko just wants a festival

She's like Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator.
tumblr_inline_mjk3wzWTtD1qz4rgp.gif

You know, I saw this scene coming because spoilers but it is way crazy to see it myself and why is this happening what point does this have but agh i'm rambling because whaghhasd

Quasar

Who do we blame for this?

I wonder why theres only one anime submitted. Do anime film makers just not care about oscars? Are there limits on what can be submitted (I figured it would just need to be shown in US Cinemas during the right time period)? Bummed Garden of Worlds did not get submitted.

DiGiKerot

I wonder why theres only one anime submitted. Do anime film makers just not care about oscars? Are there limits on what can be submitted (I figured it would just need to be shown in US Cinemas during the right time period)? Bummed Garden of Worlds did not get submitted.

There's three - Momo, Madoka and The Wind Rises.

As for qualification, I think it's more specific than just being shown in US Cinemas - it's something specific like being shown in LA for an entire week/certain number of screenings during the year prior.

• Valvrave 11
That big shock of the last episode really wasn't as shocking as I thought it would be judging from everyone's reactions. Unless that wasn't the big shock.

YOU SUCK HARUTO -- actually both Saki and Haruto

Joe Molotov

There's three - Momo, Madoka and The Wind Rises.

As for qualification, I think it's more specific than just being shown in US Cinemas - it's something specific like being shown in LA for an entire week/certain number of screenings during the year prior.

A movie has to be publicly screened in LA to qualify (except for Best Foreign Language Film).

CorvoSol

• Valvrave 11
That big shock of the last episode really wasn't as shocking as I thought it would be judging from everyone's reactions. Unless that wasn't the big shock.

YOU SUCK HARUTO -- actually both Saki and Haruto

But now you know why it is called Valvra
p
e the Libera
pe
r.

Blazblue Alter Memory 5

Blazblue Alter Memory 4

Right, back to being angry with still no sign of Bang.

Oh, but we already appearances from Tsubaki(who exist solely to make Jin seem straight), Lambda, and Phantom.

Fucking Phantom has already appeared before Bang.

Whose going to be next? Platinum?

*Cries self into a corner.

Goddamn, they even have Trinity appearing before Bang!

That is BS.

Atleast, it was her and Sena doing most of the talking.

Oh, and this whole hot spring scene.

Was just one big "WTF" moment to me.

• Valvrave 12 END
I literally only like 3 characters in this show. Shoko, L-Elf and Akira.

and now we have our final pilot. Could not have picked anyone better suited for this.

aaaaaand of course she has hacking powers. NERD RAGE POWERS ACTIVATE

lol the bad guys get away easily to come back another time

what the heck oniichan what

jegus, what a cliffhanger. But do I even really want to watch the rest of this

There must be something wrong with me, because I don't really feel satisfied watching this show. It just made me angry at Haruto and Saki, but not the kind of School Days anger that makes me want to see where it goes.

I dunno, I just was kinda bored watching this. Is the new season better?

Valvrave the Liberator
receives a score of
1 Sword Art Online

DiGiKerot

Croods was actually better than I expected, if you can get past the awful character designs and Nicholas Cage's voice.

But Nicholas Cage was the best part! Cage is always the best part!

I dunno - I watched it on the 'plane back from Otakon, and whilst I probably wouldn't watch it under any other circumstances, it wasn't the worst way ever to kill part of an eight hour flight.

Andrew J.

I think I would have liked Wolf Children better if:

Ame hadn't been a massive asshat

Ame hadn't existed

Ame hadn't have been such a massive douchebag to his sainted mother.

Like everything focusing on Yuki was heartwarming and charming, but man, by the end of that movie I really hated Ame.

Agreed on all of those.

Also, the mother looked like she had a weird frog-face sometimes.

Mr.Jeff

Infinite Stratos - 4
25 minutes of the most boring action I've ever witnessed. On the plus side there was minimal Houki which is always a plus. China's pretty boring.

Charl next episode.

• Valvrave S2 - 13
Picking up where we left off 5 months/5 minutes ago, Cain is in the process of turning into an Anti-Spiral

Saki becomes even more popular, Haruto takes credit for bullcrap and Shoko gets dismissed by everyone.

Rukino is even in the product placement.

You know, this show really isn't my thing. What is this? Is it a loose parody of mecha anime? A loose parody of high school anime? Playing it straight? The worst harem ever?

I can't tell.

dropped

CorvoSol

Too bad Miiya Miiya is pink, and Haru turns into a tan cat in The Cat Returns.

Pink is just purple for commoners.

Agreed on all of those.

Also, the mother looked like she had a weird frog-face sometimes.

Yeah, like, I could even have been okay with Ame's decision to live as a wolf, but his decision to not say anything to his mom and never ever visit her was what cemented him as a grade a jerkhole forever.

As to the frog face, I was used to that after the Digimon movie.

Jex

I've been watching a lot of good stuff lately with a friend for no particular reason!

Angel's Egg
I liked it. It's pretty easy to see how this film get's it's sort of... 'notoriety'? It's almost entirely allegorical, which can be a bit grating after awhile, but it has enough going on visually to hold you through the 71 minute run time. I especially loved the prominently featured Amano art; from the character design to the beautiful architecture. The film was unique, if nothing else.

The Castle of Cagliostro
It's kind of miraculous that I hadn't seen this up until now given the lavish praise I always hear. I haven't seen a whole lot of Lupin, but It's always great to watch. That coupled with it being a Miyazaki film makes this a pretty easy recommendation. It almost (almost) seemed a bit slower than other Lupin films I've seen, in that there was more breathing room between bits of intrigue and action. Not a bad thing to be sure. All-in-all it felt competently produced with an admittedly expected visual charisma and a solid direction. It made me a bit more excited for Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie coming the beginning of next month.

I think next week we'll probably end up watching Vampire Hunter D and maybe Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue.

Well someone is living a charmed life!

cajunator

Banned
Now if only there were an early screening of Patema Inverted. Oshima <3

I wanna see this so badly.

So after reading some inputs in this thread, reactions/reviews online, thinking on it overnight, and doing some research on the show and VN, it is time to finally give this series my personal review.

Clannad Series Review (Including Clannad: After Story)

Clannad started off as a typical high school romance anime that many anime fans are accustomed to, for in Japan high school apparently is the highest point of your life and everything after that is meaningless. And for a romance anime Clannad is actually good, the romance themes are built in and around tackling and bringing closure to the many problems of the main cast which eventually results in tightly-knit group of friends to the point of which they can be called a family. Literally every single arc in the first season is solved as a joint-effort between Tomoya and the main cast of friends thus giving the show it's theme and namesake, Clannad, a synonym for family.

But it doesn't end there. Like any typical high school romance anime everything ends after high school. Clannad: After Story comes in and breaks that tradition and explores the workings of relationships during the end and after high school. This second season can be classified as its own show due to how different it was from the first but like many of told me the two seasons cannot be separated else a good majority (if not all) emotional impact is lost.

Clannad: After Story first introduces and reinforces the bond of best friends between Tomoya and Sunohara and afterwards brings in the realism and hardships of life after high school. Times change, people move away/pursue different careers/jobs, and during this time of finding independence one must rely on others as a stepping stone into becoming a member of society. For Tomoya it was
his girlfriend Nagisa and the Furukawa family. Aside from the Sunohara arc (imo), this is where the series kicks into overdrive and Tomoya is soon learning/subjected to independent life using his love for Nagisa as a cornerstone for his life. The two get married and have a child but then as we know Nagisa kicks the bucket and dies at childbirth.

But it doesn't end there. As expected of any human being the loss of your spouse of childbirth is a great tragedy and this is a point in life where anything can happen. For Tomoya the death of Nagisa was too great that he was unable to raise his child Ushio and instead went into depression leaving the girl under the care of the Furukawa family for 5 years. But then, thanks to the Furukawa family, Tomoya is able to finally bond with his five year old daughter and the theme of family is yet again shown and the show succeeds, to my knowledge, to make the audience cry. Not of sadness, but of happiness.

And of course the ending came and I was disappoint, however, after overnight thinking and some research I have to agree it is a decent ending, perhaps good. But not great and not close to perfect.

Why do I say this? Well let's go back to the main them of this show, family. No not family in a biological standpoint but family meaning the strong cemented bonds you make with others. The first season was all about this and the second season supported this also but with the Furukawa family instead.
What enabled Tomoya to survive the first/main tragedy of Nagisa's death? The Furukawa family in raising Ushio. Who helped the Furukawa family through Nagisa's death? The raising of Ushio. Who helped Ushio deal with the absence of her mother? Tomoya and the Furukawa family.
This interweave of relationships is what truly made Clannad: After Story great and its ending ruins that to a degree (if not completely).

Nagisa dying early in the show made it seem death is permanent. Somethings are just impossible to overcome and at this point it is the death (IE, Madoka Magika, Mawaru Penguindrum, Anohana, etc.). At the point where Tomoya finally bonds with Ushio, Nagisa, as lovable as she was, is not that relevant anymore. Tomoya's main priority was protecting/raising Ushio and that is what helped him move on from Nagisa. This is prominent in which the second tragedy comes in with Ushio dying, Tomoya doesn't wish for Nagisa to come back, he wishes to save Ushio. Ushio becoming the main priority for Tomoya is why I found the ending dissapointing, the man already had closure from both his deceased spouse and father and having a deus-ex to solve everything that had closure cheapens the show.

People say I'm expecting realism from a supernatural-themed show. And it sounds correct, I mean we had the Fuko arc from the first season and the Misae arc in the second. But no I'm not expecting realism, I'm expecting cohesiveness. Fact of the matter is after
Nagisa's death so early on, any potential to save her from death is irrelevant. Her death is what made Tomoya mimic his father for a few years then realize his mistake. Her death is what made Ushio and Tomoya's relationship unique in how it was presented. The show's climax should've been episode 18 or if you really want supernatural themes and the second tragedy, let the 'wish' aspect of the show be dedicated to saving Ushio from death via Nagisa (Nagisa wishing on her deathbed and Tomoya's wish at Ushio's death to be similar). In the Misae arc the whole wish aspect does not overcome death as Shima takes the form of a pet cat, how is this precedence for Tomoya to receive deus ex salvation?

Aside from the ending the other criticism I have for the show is the lack of the previous main cast (the main group of friends) from the previous season present in the second. After the exposition of the best friend bond of Tomoya and Sunohara, you don't even see Sunohara during Tomoya's greatest tragedy. Hell aside from Kyou and now-returned
Fuko (who no one remembers btw) none of theme even meet Ushio, not even at the ending of the show.

So where do I rate this show? Well no lie, Clannad and Clannad: After Story is one of the greatest animes I've seen and succeeded in creating tears of happiness instead of tears/feels deriving from tragedies which I'm accustomed to. However, does this make Clannad sad? Well the anime does have strong sad themes, but I feel pales to comparison when compared to Madoka Magika or Steins;Gate which heavily relies on sad themes. But Clannad doesn't pride itself as a tragic anime, it prides itself on the theme of its namesake, family.

Overall definitely in my top 10. The ending, though disappointing, is not enough to null the incredible journey there.

Clannad is probably the best of the keyshit. I liked the focus on family and it wasnt just another high school slice of life. It showed characters being forced to grow up and the passage of a good bit of time. Stories like that in anime are kind of hard to come by.
I found it to be REALLY bittersweet. I really cant hate it at all.

Uhm, BSG's final season may have gone down the shitter but it doesn't undermine the fantastic earlier seasons. I don't mean to say one person's opinion is more than the other but regardless of thoughts of what is good sci fi, the show is still considered among the best on TV. But yes this was fantastic and did the whole miracle/magical aspect surprisingly well and touching. From what I hear of the second season if it follows the original
Kodai becomes the captain of the Yamato, somebody confirm plzkthx

Star Wars was basically fantasy in space too, doesn't mean it's not considered sci-fi. There are many genres of sci-fi. Freaking Frankenstein [the novel] is sci-fi.

Hard sci-fi is also a great use for sci-fi porn.

I love me some hard sci-fi but some of the best stuff isn't necessarily hard sci fi. Fahrenheit 451 and Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury are two examples. Dune is probably also in the fantasy genre of sci-fi and is the best selling sci-fi novel of all times.

If you guys haven't I can't recommend enough the films Moon and Primer. The former is a one actor film and it is absolutely brilliant and touching with zero action, the latter is a film for those interested in a modern time traveling film. Source Code is the more mainstream film by Moon's director, and it makes quite a bit of assumptions but it's another film worth watching for entertainment alone.

Sci Fi is interesting because like you said, it doesnt necessarily have to do with space. sometimes its just monsters. But it differs from horror too, though it can be at times absolutely horrifying. It also gets very mixed in with Fantasy genres.

Noragami's page got updates with the character designs:

http://noragami-anime.net/

personally I find the site a pain in the ass so I upped them to imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/2vyzy

A pic from the magazine was seen two days ago with the designs, along with it there was some info based on which it's assumed it's a one cour series with an OAD coming out at the end.

http://someoneone.blog116.fc2.com/blog-entry-5965.html

Team pink hair.

But Nicholas Cage was the best part! Cage is always the best part!

I dunno - I watched it on the 'plane back from Otakon, and whilst I probably wouldn't watch it under any other circumstances, it wasn't the worst way ever to kill part of an eight hour flight.

I shouldn't be, because the amount of time is a known quantity, but I'm always amazed by how much I can get watched on a plane flight between the UK and US. It's no doubt tied to the fact that there's nowhere of interest to go and my unwillingness to converse with or acknowledge the rest of the plane.

I knocked out Tetsuwan Birdy Decode on the last one.

Just heard: http://variety.com/2013/film/awards/oscars-19-films-submit-for-feature-animation-oscar-1200798376/

Wolf Children is not even being submitted for nomination. It's over. Wrap it up. Anime is dead. RIP.

I'm so pissed right now. They had a qualifying run and everything!

i0as9pjrE8y3r.png

Isn't it a 2012 film?

It's all about when an animated film gets its first theatrical run in the US. Wolf Children, despite appearing at multiple film festivals around the world, aired for one week in LA and NY recently I believe, which qualifies it for nomination. Same goes for Letters to Momo, but I don't know when that did.

Theonik

Hyouka 06
Who the hell said this episode was boring I want to punch them in the face.
But yeah actually this was one of the most entertaining episodes yet. The first half had me legit burst into laughters and the conversations and banter were beautifully executed. Not to mention giving some nice insight into the way Chitanda thinks which they hadn't done so far. Also lol at Oreki getting baited.
Also, I don't get what was wrong with the mystery of this episode? Sure it was insignificant but it's meant to be? I don't understand what people were expecting out of this show to be really honest. For one the show would plain not work if they weren't tackling normally mundane issues. That's actually a huge part of how the character dynamics in the show work. The clash between Oreki's 'energy preservation' and Chitanda's curiosity would just not work if they were not tackling 'boring' mysteries.
Putting that rant aside, I see this is also the episode were the 'Kinininirimasu' gifs came from. Didn't expect to see it so soon.
Anyway sufficed to say that I'm really enjoying this show so far.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hyouka 06

Who the hell said this episode was boring I want to punch them in the face.
But yeah actually this was one of the most entertaining episodes yet. The first half had me legit burst into laughters and the conversations and banter were beautifully executed. Not to mention giving some nice insight into the way Chitanda thinks which they hadn't done so far. Also lol at Oreki getting baited.
Also, I don't get what was wrong with the mystery of this episode? Sure it was insignificant but it's meant to be? I don't understand what people were expecting out of this show to be really honest. For one the show would plain not work if they weren't tackling normally mundane issues. That's actually a huge part of how the character dynamics in the show work. The clash between Oreki's 'energy preservation' and Chitanda's curiosity would just not work if they were not tackling 'boring' mysteries.
Putting that rant aside, I see this is also the episode were the 'Kinininirimasu' gifs came from. Didn't expect to see it so soon.
Anyway sufficed to say that I'm really enjoying this show so far.
Cosign, although I quibble with the word "boring" being used there. Like I said in my own posts, the mysteries are mundane, but not boring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Early data from the sales list says that the first volume of Infinite Stratos 2, with just the extended first episode, sold about 23,500 BD+DVD to kick off the Fall Season charts. Compare to 29,368 v1w1 for the first season.

Elsewhere, for Summer, Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ clocks in at about a respectable 4,500 BD+DVD. TWGOK S3, of course, bombs out below the approx. 2500/500 BD/DVD threshold, so we'll need to wait for Thursday numbers to see how poorly it fared.
1) Well, that explains the fucking montage at the end. Mother fuckers. lol

2) I hope Tamayura ~LETS GRADUATE~ happens. Seems set up for her to get a kohai in the club and then have more tears when the group graduates and everyone moves to different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom