• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coppellion... it starts out as a strident anti-nuclear rant of a series -- seriously, doesn't it say that millions died after that nuclear disaster? That's just absurd anti-nuclear alarmism, it wouldn't be quite on that level, as the two real nuclear disasters on that level were not. The series seems to initially have existed as much as anything to argue against the use of nuclear power. But in order to do that, it doesn't have much interest in actually sticking with a plausible case.

But then, apparently, later in the series, it becomes basically a shonen battle series as various superpowered characters/etc. fight in the city... blah. Done for ratings reasons I imagine. Coppelion has some interesting elements to it, but there are also plenty of flaws, both before and after that point.

There are definitely way too many people in that city, yeah. That I can kind of excuse -- without them there'd be no series -- but it is one of the many ways that Coppellion ignores plausible reality. Expect that unrealistic side of the series to get worse as it goes along, I think, as I said above. It's too bad.
Well it's kinda obvious that they will turn out on the "rescue" quite soon , sinc e, as hinted by the opening it will becomes battle based.
And on that note, how about more Joshiraku? I really liked that. :)
Joshiraku is awesome
If I ever wonder about whether it was right to drop this series after one painfully stupid episode, all I have to do is look at pictures like this one and I know it was the right decision for sure.
I like yuri ( even implied ) i like and enjoy comedy a lot ..but i couldn't do it.
Natsu is indeed the main character, but Mashima clearly wanted to have some of that traditional character arc stuff in the series, and Natsu doesn't have that; he starts out at full strength. Lucy, however, starts out as a newbie with no powers, and then gradually learns about the guild, the characters, etc, and gains more abilities along the way as well. That's got to be why she gets so much focus early on. She's also the lead female character, of course. I thought the decision to focus on her a lot was a good one. Also, Fairy Tail is a good series when it's being funny or semi-serious, but the most serious arcs, such as the Tower of Heaven or the current manga arc, are the ones I like the least... I had to skip most of the Tower of Heaven arc, just didn't like it much at all.
i dunno .. fairy tail does one thing right it's the battles... as i said , the crazy battles are quite good to watch because it's unexpected things everywhere.. i mean even if it's shonen , there are quite a lot of moment where fairy tail surprised me ( ina good way )
The serious arc are very good ( except the exceed, screw them ... at least they added 1 more good character to the team but everything else was just boring)

You say this and then immediately spend a paragraph talking about Fairy Tail?

tonystare.gif
I can understand.

All IS stuff this time!

On that note, what excuse is there for how S2's villains managed to get their IS suits?
Tabane doesn't care about that? She probably should...
I can answer this question but i probably shouldn't...let's just say that i have a pretty good idea of what's going on even if i'm not sure yet.
No way, France won again for sure... though yeah, Houki and Cecelia's were good. Germany's I was less impressed with, myself. Russia was pretty good though.
What can i say , i have a weakness for that.
No, it still has a plot. They're just only including maybe ten seconds of it per episode so far.
Classical exemple of bad teasing
As was said, that last point is the harem dimension. However, if you ever read the two manga adaptations of IS (yes, there are two versions, one over and one ongoing reboot), both try something related to this point: they attempt to explain why Cecelia fell in love with Ichika, something the anime (and the LNs I believe) skip over. In the first version,
it explains that it's because Cecelia really wanted a guy who was strong enough to defeat her, and Ichika almost beat her, so now she thinks of him as strong, etc. Of course this doesn't hold up for more than a millisecond on any plausible level given his general weak, incredibly indecisive nature, but it's the paper-thin and very sexist excuse that writer added in.

The nwer manga, however, completely changes that fight. Instead of Cecelia barely winning because Ichika was stupid and ran out of power just before defeating her, this time he stops because he sees that she's scared, so he holds off and lets her win. Then she goes berzerk out of fear because of how he almost attacked her etc and he (at great danger to himself of course) calms her down from her weak womanly fit. Okay, it doesn't use those last three words, but the intent is clear. I'm not sure which version is more offensively sexist, honestly... both are awful.

And yes, that stuff is one of the reasons why Britain is worst girl. Even without the explanation for WHY it happened, the end result is the same...

That's actually one of the hardest things to retcon in IS verse.

I wonder how they
got trapped inside it then. I also wonder why they're just kinda going through the motions and not really concerned with finding out how to get out. I guess it's too early for that though. Then again, if I were trapped in a game and had awesome powers, I don't think I'd want to leave anyway. So long as my physical body wasn't rotting somewhere at least.

Manga give us an answer
as they seems to be have their body warped somewhere else once they click on the login button

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Catnapped!

hDR7Q2F.jpg
zdz28ao.jpg

As adventures into alternate cat worlds go, this was better than The Cat Returns. Still pretty light fare, but was fun and creative.

sonicmj1

Catnapped!

As adventures into alternate cat worlds go, this was better than The Cat Returns. Still pretty light fare, but was fun and creative.

It sounds like you have a more exhaustive ranking of adventures into alternate cat worlds that you're not sharing with us.

fertygo

The weird thing about Lain is that I watched I years ago and I remember liking it a lot, but all I can remember about the actual show is "present day, present time", I can't recall a single thing about any episode. I should rewatch it some day.

Anyway, the storytelling are indeed deliberately vague (dear god how I love it so, now I understand my criticism to Kyousogiga TV).. so its understandable we won't remember the detail aside its about powerlines.

sonicmj1

So are there going to be second seasons for Gargantia and Flowers of Evil?

We've got a season 2 announcement for Gargantia now, but no word on more Flowers of Evil. The sales for that show were terrible, so they'd be crazy to make more. But then again, making it in the first place was crazy, so who knows.

sol_bad

We've got a season 2 announcement for Gargantia now, but no word on more Flowers of Evil. The sales for that show were terrible, so they'd be crazy to make more. But then again, making it in the first place was crazy, so who knows.

I watched all of Flowers of Evil expecting something awesome to happen and then
the last episode is basically a montage followed by the end of part 1
I didn't find the show to be anything amazing but I feel unsatisfied and need to see more.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sacrifices must be made for Tokyopop to return.

BluWacky

Revolutionary Girl Utena 21
Oh, also, does anyone know the name of that one string motif that shows up a bunch? The one that plays during the episode previews, the thingy that shows after the commercial break, and in the episodes sometimes? It's all hmmm hm hm hmmm, hm hm hm hmmm hm hm. It's one of the more memorable tunes so far, so I wanted to see if there's a longer version but I have no idea what it's called.

I assume you mean this music? I don't think it's used anywhere else, actually - it's the show's "main theme" but otherwise it doesn't really have any major prominence.

There is, however, this usage... (there are no spoilers in this video beyond where you've reached in the show - it's from the Saturn game and the new characters are game-only)

Theonik

Although it is somewhat in the same vein as this book from my early childhood:
http://www.amazon.com/Hey-Al-Arthur-...eywords=hey+al
So many things suddenly explained.

Sorry to disappoint. EmmanuelMunoz might know of more!

Hah, come to think of it, that's a missed opportunity for Dog Days.
Such sadness. At least we should settle for a list of mofu. A mofu list if you will.

I can't. wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Jex

Yeah, it really is a good looking show. I've had a hard time articulating it. I keep mentioning the lighting of the backgrounds, but I feel like that's only a part of the picture. Whatever they did, their portrayal of Shinshu captures both the sense of a hot, bright summer and all the verdant nature in the region.

Well, great colour design will do that for you.

cajunator

Banned
:'D

Yes it will make you cry again. Hard. Get ready

hmm. YUP!

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?

This show is not sad just maddening.

And then proceeds to do megapost dedicated entirely to Infinite Stratos

lmao

You dont know ABF very well do you? He makes epic posts about harem anime. Its what he does.

Clannad: After Story 21

Really? REALLY? AGAIN?!

Just... why? Does Ushio really have to die? Do we really need a repeat of Nagisa? Hell as much as I don't want to be, I'm calling Ushio's death right now because fuck it this is just messed. I thought atleast Ushio had, you know, adolescence to go through just like Nagisa but apparently not.

At this point Fuko just needs smack everyone with a starfish or something. I literally see nothing plot-wise in
Ushio's death
, I mean we already went through that. Bah.

Edit: And apparently the last episode is the finale, with the last 2 being OVA's or something, COME ON.

And there it is...

Someone dissing Yuyushiki in here? Disgusting.

I know right?

HHHHHHNNNNGGH

Early data from the sales list says that the first volume of Infinite Stratos 2, with just the extended first episode, sold about 23,500 BD+DVD to kick off the Fall Season charts. Compare to 29,368 v1w1 for the first season.

Elsewhere, for Summer, Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ clocks in at about a respectable 4,500 BD+DVD. TWGOK S3, of course, bombs out below the approx. 2500/500 BD/DVD threshold, so we'll need to wait for Thursday numbers to see how poorly it fared.

Stupid haremshit with god tier fanservice girls sells more than anything. Film at 11.

Fuuuuuck it still hurts.

#TeamKanna

We shall never die.

WE STAND STRONG

something seems to be busy for now (or forgot about the DST switch). Enjoy my poorly-formatted charts until I replace them later with the better ones.

Hmmm. Kinmoza did pretty well! I wish Henneko did but I guess it did ok overall.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

<Any image in a link is a spoiler>

Ano Natsu de Matteiru 11-12 - END

Well, that built into quite a finale. Maybe some of that was obvious (what better way to make things exciting than a race against time?) but still, watching everyone try their best to help Ichika reach the place in her memories was nice to see. Also, super fucking :firehawk. You try to make things happen, and however it works out, you'll always have your memories.

There were some turns in the end, though, that worked surprisingly well. Mostly involving Remon. And they were glorious. Like, jaw dropping. And it wasn't so out of left field that it seemed like bullshit. Just smiles.

Good show. Romcom melodrama without too much contrived bullshit and stalling. I think Toradora was more effective in the end, but this was a much smoother ride.

Sequel please.

That scene is weird more for its implications than its content. I don't think it'll be a problem. Might be an opportunity for a good talk.

Some things in that show were definitely weird, but given that Ichika is an alien I guess it all made sense.

CorvoSol

Shift is the only sane way to capitalise when typing. Hell I don't even have a caps lock key on my keyboard. Dumbest change IBM's brought to keyboard layouts.

You get it, Theonik. You get it.

Catnapped!

hDR7Q2F.jpg
zdz28ao.jpg

I didn't know there was a sequel to Bagi.

Awesome Fan Art is every single where.

cajunator

Banned
Ugh, you're everything that is wrong with fandom.

What? no he's totally not.

Anyway, the storytelling are indeed deliberately vague (dear god how I love it so, now I understand my criticism to Kyousogiga TV).. so its understandable we won't remember the detail aside its about powerlines.

Yeah I remember attempting the show twice initially, getting a very bad headache, watching it again recently and not getting as bad a headache, somehow making it through, and still not understanding what the fuck was going on, yet still felt oddly compelled to buy the LE version and try to make more sense out of it someday.
I still think its a great show. It just requires a wavelength that is not my own.

1. Hell no.

2. WHY?

fertygo

JC Staff productions aren't all colored the same way; I find, say, Ano Natsu and Joshiraku's color design pleasant to look at on the whole.

I familiar with both show too, for me they both have rather drab and dry coloring that JC Staff show usually have.

Shame I can't take direct screenshot for it and must relying to google and we don't know how compressed the pic, but still

For all kind striking color that they have there, I don't like how its look low on hue and rather washed out.

Sure Anonatsu is rather good looking show because the talented director, but I don't thing their compositing department deserve the same praise.

I familiar with both show too, for me they both have rather drab and dry coloring that JC Staff show usually have.

Shame I can't take direct screenshot for it and must relying to google and we don't know how compressed the pic, but still

For all kind striking color that they have there, I don't like how its look low on hue and rather washed out.

I have seen my share of washed-out digital productions. The screenshots you have posted are not washed-out. The colors are too rich. Look at the deep blues in the sky and the deep reds in the dresses in both shows.

cajunator

Banned

Sure Anonatsu is rather good looking show because the talented director, but I don't thing their compositing department deserve the same praise.

Doesnt look washed out to me. Maburaho and Mahoraba are other JC Staff productions with really colorful pallets. Yes those are two separate shows. I know its confusing.

Oh, sorry folks. There was a miscommunication. It looks like one of the things that Sentai has lined up for March is not, in fact, To Love-Ru Darkness, but instead actually a Blu-ray rerelease for the original To Love-Ru first season (previously DVD-only from Sentai in late 2011). You'll have to wait a bit longer for that Momo and Yami action.

http://www.fandompost.com/2013/11/05/to-love-ru-first-season-blu-ray-anime-details-revealed/

Aww poo. But bluray TLRU might be a good thing. I only have cheap DVDs.

Jex

Yamato 2199 fin
DXLBfLql.png

Dem feels. So many of them.

I can't believe this incredible journey is over. This has been, and probably will be, the most fun I've had watching science fiction since the early days of Stargate SG-1. There are just so many lessons that I have to assume the Japanese production crew must have learned from watching the shitshows that BSG and JJTrek turned into as reboots and they're all applied here to create something that - I admittedly have to assume - venerates the original series but modernizes the series in a way that makes it meaningful to a contemporary audience.

Even how they handled the ending and the
retcon of a certain death shits over what JJ did in a recent movie this year.

There are the small twiddly bits that are just weird - at times, it feels like they added more female cast members not to diversify the crew but to have more figurines to sell to otaku, but unlike say JJ showing Carol Marcus half naked in his crappy movie, at least these characters are more than just pretty women to gawk at.

As for the actual denouement, it serves as a nice quiet ending to the fucking balls out cliffhanger from last week. The journey back to Earth is framed by
the circle of life and death and rebirth... with the wedding, the captain's death, and of course, the "miracle" that happens with a certain character. They don't show how Earth is saved by this magical technology, because you already see it happen, so ending the show with the crew disappearing into a point of light and a blue Earth rising out of the darkness is just perfect

There are obvious questions, which is probably why there is a 2014 project, but it is an emotional ending to the previous episode's explosive climax.
There is no need for a gimmick, like the crew of the Galactica being our ancestors, or Khan with his blood of immortality, or the entire cast of characters going to a church and going to heaven or whatever bullshit SyFy has dumped on me in the last decade. It's just an ending marked by beauty and contemplation, one that is just simply happy and posits an end of a narrative rather than one that tries to make some shitty grand revelation or final plot twist for the sake of trying to be "memorable".
It's the perfect desert after a hearty and filling full course meal.

I know like only 5 people here will watch this show. But those 5 people will experience one of the greatest science fiction stories of the modern era. (It might even bump Aria off the top of whatever theoretical list I might make, which is just fucking inconceivable for me).

9yZq6vCl.png

And a salute to you too, my dear Yamato. See you in a year.

After just finishing the series I agree with this 100%. So good. So much emotion. So many tears.

GOOD SCIENCE FICTION, they can still make it.

fertygo

I have seen my share of washed-out digital productions. The screenshots you have posted are not washed-out. The colors are too rich. Look at the deep blues in the sky and the deep reds in the dresses in both shows.
I give you the sky, but the red, especially the Joshiraku shot? (although the hair color are the one that always bothered me)
I don't know maybe I'm just thinking too much, but those are certainly not kind of coloring that I think its great.

For example like Brainbase or A-1 usually have.

Articalys

Okay, here's the detailed sales list from something, as promised.
Code:
2013 10/28~11/03 Anime BD List
*1 (**1)	---	18,758	18,758	**1	Infinite Stratos 2 v1
*2 (**5)	---	*6,867	*6,867	**1	High School DxD NEW v2
*3 (**6)	---	*5,713	*5,713	**1	Kin-iro Mosaic v2
*4 (**8)	---	*5,144	*5,144	**1	Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next v4
*5 (*11)	---	*3,869	*3,869	**1	Tamayura ~more aggressive~
*6 (*12)	---	*3,726	*3,726	**1	Choujigen Game Neptune v2
*7 (*14)	---	*3,337	*3,337	**1	Roukyuubu! SS v2
*8 (*18)	**1	*2,528	37,832	**2	Monogatari Second Season v1 (Nekomonogatari Shiro v1)
*9 (*20)	---	*2,227	*2,227	**1	Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko v5 LE
10 (***)	**5	*2,191	13,732	**2	Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% v5
Code:
2013 10/28~11/03 Anime DVD List
*1 (**8)	---	5,738	*,**5,738	**1	Hetalia The Beautiful World v4
*2 (*10)	---	4,808	*,**4,808	**1	Infinite Stratos 2 v1
*3 (*27)	---	1,944	*,**1,944	**1	High School DxD NEW v2
*5 (*31)	**5	1,590	*,**9,666	**2	Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% v5
*6 (*36)	**4	1,454	*,*10,990	**2	Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v7
*8 (*43)	---	1,064	*,**1,064	**1	Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next v4
10 (***)	*48	*,893	1,220,217	619	Tonari no Totoro
11 (***)	---	*,790	*,***,790	**1	Danbooru Senki Wars v1
13 (***)	---	*,737	*,***,737	**1	Roukyuubu! SS v2
15 (***)	*71	*,666	*,*26,640	**8	Dragonball Z Kami to Kami RE
16 (***)	*22	*,637	*,*13,948	**3	Shingeki no Kyojin v4
17 (***)	---	*,632	*,***,632	**1	Choujigen Game Neptune v2
19 (***)	---	*,610	*,***,610	**1	Tamayura ~more aggressive~
20 (***)	*11	*,605	*,**5,042	**2	Monogatari Second Season v1 (Nekomonogatari Shiro v1)
22 (***)	---	*,568	*,***,568	**1	Kin-iro Mosaic v2
26 (***)	*92	*,514	*,521,093	565	Majo no Takkyuubin
28 (***)	*15	*,491	*,**3,610	**2	Brothers Conflict v3
29 (***)	*16	*,470	*,**3,395	**2	Saint Onii-san LE
30 (***)	---	*,461	*,***,461	**1	Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride v5
Henneko is one of the few TV series offering both an LE and RE for each Blu-ray volume (and has both actually sell decent numbers), so we should get another 1000 sales or so for the vol.5 RE on Thursday.

Hetalia The Beautiful World ends with an average of 6,720 across four DVD volumes.

And as mentioned, wait for Thursday to see how badly TWGOK S3 did.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Episode 5:

Nice to see shit finally get real here, no more stupid swimsuit parties to be found, the enemy strikes fast and hard and had changed the dynamics of the proceedings thus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom