• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BbAIzXXCAAAbxaW.jpg:large
My future.....

NouCome 9

So many mental choices! And yet not even an attempt at an alternate route after the credits this time?! FOR SHAME.
What's with the episode previews in this show, anyway? Are Affilia Saga some actual group or something?

Kind of sad that there's only one episode left already, though. Screw you Diomedea - first Mondaiji, now this? Why you make your shows so short. =(
Well, at least it won't last long enough to completely wear out its welcome... and maybe a S2 if it's successful?

Black Lion

This was a fun watch. Again not going to write a big review, I can't write them well. The dub was really what made this so entertaining. I love how they kept calling their techniques ninja magic, even though they were just explosions made by lighting up oil or explosives. I think the one thing I really disliked about this movie/ova is how it ended. There is
no explanation for anything
. Why bring up that Oda Nobunaga
had technology from the future if you aren't ever going to bring it up again
? Why
introduce the Black Lion right at the end, it's what the fucking thing was named after
? Overall I enjoyed it less then Dracula but still found it entertaining to watch.

Yeah, this definitely felt like something that was supposed to be the beginning of a series... but somehow the series never happened, so we're left with this confusing mess of an "ending".

It would be nice to see the rest of the manga get animated too... oh well, Not might be interesting as well.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=23911681

TBH, centaurs just make no sense as a concept. You're replacing an animal's head with an entire 2/3 of a human. How does its internal anatomy even work? Does it have duplicate organs, one for each species? How could they function together? Imagine how much they would have to eat to support that entire monstrous body. At least things like mermaids have a kind of logic with half of one creature mixed with half of another. Centaurs are like a human whose head is the front half of a dog.
In some fantasy worlds griffins can only fly because they're magical creatures, since obviously a griffin's wings, like a pegasus's, are far too small to make such a large animal actually fly... so yeah, it's magic, that's how centaurs work!

If it's not a "it's magic" world, then yes, the concept of a centaur, like a flying pegasus or griffin, doesn't actually logically work.

Yuushibu 10

Also how the hell does Fino get abducted so easily.
Blech.
She's a girl. They can do things other than get kidnapped? Animes like this one would never know...

duckroll

According to Newtype, episode 12 of Yozakura Quartet will feature Norio Matsumoto as episode director and animation director (along with Tomoaki Takase). What is happening? I can't feel my legs.

Hagi

Shingeki no Kyojin 1 - 7

UTTER DESPAIR

This is bleak as fuck. They really drive home how harsh and cruel the situation humanity has found itself in. It's like I'm watching an elseworld version of Blue Gender. That said i am enjoying it so far.

According to Newtype, episode 12 of Yozakura Quartet will feature Norio Matsumoto as episode director and animation director (along with Tomoaki Takase). What is happening? I can't feel my legs.

Man I'm going to be sad when this finishes, it's been fantastic.

Is it possible to watch and enjoy the One Piece movie Hosoda directed without any knowledge of One Piece? I seem to remember people saying one or more of the movies was worth watching, so I'm interested in seeing it but don't have time or inclination to watch the show or build much context for it.

Yozakura just won't stop being best. Norio Matsumoto is responsible for the first time I ever thought to myself "why does this show look so amazing all of a sudden?" as a teenager watching the Naruto Vs. Sasuke fight scene he did.

Thoraxes

VVV - 13 - 21

If I could sum up how I feel in a series of gifs that you could associate with any episode in any order you want, it'd be these.

I started like this...

aij2tklfscof.gif

But then I got like this...

And then I was like this...

And this...

But now, here at episode 21, i'm just this...

jimlahey0djou.gif

I sit here after watching episode 21 wondering what the meaning of life is.
VVV is the answer to that question. My life exists just to watch this show as does the existence of every living that is and ever was.
I'm also now probably a broken person... Probably? No, I am now, thanks to VVV.
Also, this show proves that people will ship characters together no matter the circumstances. VVV is the pinnacle of perfection.

Greatest show of all time.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Hagi

Shingeki no Kyojin - 8

tumblr_mxivjoM8LR1re0gkao1_500.gif

Well, that's a thing, that just happened.

Is it possible to watch and enjoy the One Piece movie Hosoda directed without any knowledge of One Piece? I seem to remember people saying one or more of the movies was worth watching, so I'm interested in seeing it but don't have time or inclination to watch the show or build much context for it.

Yeah it can be viewed entirely by itself. It's really worth watching.

HappinessCharge Precure goods

BbBFsSSCEAA_z7z.jpg:large

It's fucking purple!
This is nice.
Very nice indeed. They can do a good thing with that cast. Hopefully they choose the best personalities from past precure shows.

Gundam Build Fighters 1-2

Hey this show is legit. It's like Angelic Layer without the suck and with a whole lot more DTL to it. Get the feeling this is going to end up being my favorite Gundam TV series of all time.

Ramba Ral is such a creep. Authentic!
Show also needs way more of the mom. She's the best character.

First anime I've watched in months. Will definitely catch up on this over the next few days.
Hurry up and catch up ! you're in for such a wild ride.

Infinite Stratos 2 -10

Does anyone else besides me, find its difficult to watch this show?
It's kinda hard , especially since they don't follow the book at all for plenty of characters.
You all might not believe me but the author actually had plenty of character devellopement for the girls and none of this (cooking, going commando, birthday party stuff )
A total shame this adaptation..
Who is she?

Another Magi aka one of the broken characters if you're thinking specs in the magi-verse

You know my only problem with the entire Monogatari series is Koyomi + Hitagi.
I just can't buy it, out of the entire season 2 I don't recall a single scene of them together.
The relationship is only really used as a throw away plot device overall.
and even though Hitagi is supposed to be a super serious girlfriend, certain arcs just make her seem nonexistent at times.

I just can't buy it, out of the entire season 2 I don't recall a single scene of them together.
and even though Hitagi is supposed to be a super serious girlfriend, certain arcs just make her seem nonexistent at times.

They had scenes together in Bakemonogatari. But yeah, since then we've have 35+ episodes of Araragi doing stuff with other girls and barely interacting with Senjougahara.

That's because they were busy taking care of other matters.

The author isn't intrested of showing them "as a couple" he has already done that plenty of times before ( nisemonogatari especially ). and besides their relationship is done , set and can't be changed ( by anyone in the cast ) Why show them together when it's unnecessary ?
Hitagi doesn't care what koyomi does as long as he comes back to her in the end That's the current status.

This isn't a key drama there is no need to show things that arent revelant to the story you need to tell.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Angelic Layer doesnt suck. It was really good!

I wasn't hating! GBF is just a better version of the show with a pretty similar premise.

The whole absurdity of people taking these childrens toys so seriously makes it great. The mom is truly the best mom as shes one of the few who acknowledge the absurdity yet at the same time is fully behind her sons endeavors as a master gunpla builder.

Wonder what happened to the dad. Logically nobody would divorce a wife who was that hot, has that sweet of a personality, is into Gundam and is also hot, so he's either dead (I really hope it was a death involving a Gunpla battle gone horribly wrong) or he moved overseas to America to become a better Gundam. Or something.

That's because they were busy taking care of other matters.

The author isn't intrested of showing them "as a couple" he has already done that plenty of times before ( nisemonogatari especially ). and besides their relationship is done , set and can't be changed ( by anyone in the cast ) Why show them together when it's unnecessary ?
Hitagi doesn't care what koyomi does as long as he comes back to her in the end That's the current status.

This isn't a key drama there is no need to show things that arent revelant to the story you need to tell.
You need to be a Key drama to show the series' main couple onscreen together? That's a bizarre statement.

NeonZ

I quite like it. The lighter colours look pretty good!

Huh... I hadn't noticed it before, but the emblem on Natsumi's uniform doesn't seem to be the Kishou Academy one. The text seems different too. I don't see anything like a K there.

So, it looks like this might be a complete reboot... Or somehow a sequel where Natsumi is in high school (near the ending of the original anime, Asami, the girl Mois copied, went from high school to university, so it seems like that could happen if this were meant to take place after that)? Although I don't think it's the later because Fuyuki and Natsumi don't look any older there.

Kazzy

So look what came in the mail today:

It looks interesting, but this is the first time that I've been aware of its existence. Doesn't look like it has too many places to purchase.

Kind of a huge pain to import books/stuff to Japan, so was kind of hoping it was available digitally.

Im not asking for dates, drama and stuff.
would just like to see a little bit of interaction especially after it mentions their relationship all the time.
You need to be a Key drama to show the series' main couple onscreen together? That's a bizarre statement.

Sorry my dislike for a lot of key material surfaced.

What i meant to say is that given what needed to be told , there was no point of making them interract together.
Most of monogatari deals into supernatural stuff and hitagi as it stands is a "normal" girl with knowledge of the oddities. She cannot follow koyomi around and she doesn't. But she acts she can ( nekomonogatari white & the current act are prime exemples ) Showing an related scene of the 2 together when they have trouble to adapt everything without relying on split second messages on screen is for me , unnnecessary.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 10:

SO at long last we have reached the real tournament arc, the one to crown the world champion of Gunpla. I'll be honest, this was a fairly rote establishing arc episode, meeting the important duelists, having wacky antics ensure and throwing out a succession of jobber fighters to showcase the new Gunplas. I think the only battle I actually liked was the debut of the Star Build Strike Gundam.

cajunator

Banned
So look what came in the mail today:

whered you get it? Id like to buy that book!

I wasn't hating! GBF is just a better version of the show with a pretty similar premise.

The whole absurdity of people taking these childrens toys so seriously makes it great. The mom is truly the best mom as shes one of the few who acknowledge the absurdity yet at the same time is fully behind her sons endeavors as a master gunpla builder.

Wonder what happened to the dead. Logically nobody would divorce a wife who was that hot, has that sweet of a personality, is into Gundam and is also hot, so he's either dead (I really hope it was a death involving a Gunpla battle gone horribly wrong) or he moved overseas to America to become a better Gundam. Or something.

Fair enough. Angelic Layer is one of my favorite shows. So upbeat and cute and innocent.

Theonik

whered you get it? Id like to buy that book!
You can buy it off amazon!
Not out in the US yet but is coming later this month in 3 days.

It looks interesting, but this is the first time that I've been aware of its existence. Doesn't look like it has too many places to purchase.

Kind of a huge pain to import books/stuff to Japan, so was kind of hoping it was available digitally.
I don't think there is a digital version, it's 250 pages though, do you really want it digital?

That's great, thanks!

Ahhhhhhh where the fuck is mine Royal Mail?!
Mine was supposed to arrive on the 5th too. Amazon Prime letting me down big time.

Kazzy

I don't think there is a digital version, it's 250 pages though, do you really want it digital?

I dislike digital, but my working hours are so inconvenient for receiving delivery of anything, that it would it be a tremendous pain having to organize anything. I've already had one thing imported to Japan, only to have it returned, because they just kept coming back at the same time (despite saying it was between a certain period, and wasn't specific).

I guess I could just wait until I get back to England over the holidays, though it would have been an ideal read on the flight over.

fertygo

They had scenes together in Bakemonogatari. But yeah, since then we've have 35+ episodes of Araragi doing stuff with other girls and barely interacting with Senjougahara.

But its does show how absurd their relationship is, they aren't supposed to be normal lovey-dovey at all.

And I think some arc indicating Senjou view Koyomi as savior of her life than merely boyfriend.

Theonik

I dislike digital, but my working hours are so inconvenient for receiving delivery of anything, that it would it be a tremendous pain having to organize anything. I've already had one thing imported to Japan, only to have it returned, because they just kept coming back at the same time (despite saying it was between a certain period, and wasn't specific).

I guess I could just wait until I get back to England over the holidays, though it would have been an ideal read on the flight over.
Yeah that's unfortunate. Plan to give it a proper read on my flight out of the UK actually.

But its does show how absurd their relationship is, they aren't supposed to be normal lovey-dovey at all.

And I think some arc indicating Senjou view Koyomi as savior of her life than merely boyfriend.

I think it would work a bit better if we saw them interact more often. But there's no time for it with Araragi playing the lolicon.

I don't get this implication. Short books are less appealing digitally?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Do they not have collection offices?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Episode 10:

Yes, this is indeed a strong contender for the crowns of Show of the Season and indeed Anime of the Year. I can see why Duckroll was talking about as it is rare to see a quieter episode animated so fluidly. This is in effect two episodes spot welded together with the first half finishing up the Hime being sick business from last episode and basically allowing Hime to have some character growth with Ao, a combination we don't see too often. Also, more business with the elders are discussed and I am not even sure why Sakura Newtown entertains this faction at all. They are an adversarial organization who have wholly incompatible goals. Indeed there will be a reckoning with the Elders and it will be a war for the fate of this ward, at least I surmise this will be the case. Anyway, the less interesting B side is the backstory to Juri as we get her full details of who she is and how she came to be in the clinic and her major attitude problem.
Also, at last dear sister Lila has arrived, the second Youkai Hunter shall soon strike.

Jarmel

Banned
Madoka Movie 3- Rebellion
Kutakutaplush03.jpg

Every time I saw this rat's face on the screen, I wanted to punch it.
This is a dense fucking film. This can't be understated enough. I would go in with the expectation that you're probably going to need to see it twice to follow along with everything. This should have been a proper TV sequel instead of a movie so some of the stuff could be both expanded and events allowed to breathe a little.For better and worse, the movie is very much a continuation of the franchise. So if you don't like Urobuchi writing, don't bother watching it. Same with Shaft direction or visuals.

I suppose I should talk about the animation, which is kinda hard with a lack of screenshots. It's a gorgeous film. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm not sure how much work Inu Curry put into the film but the film has their style all over it, even more so than the TV series. If you're a fan of Inu Curry, I would definitely watch the movie as they got to go wild. The girls get a new transformation sequence and it's Shaft to the core.
It's a basic outline of each of the girls dancing/in their element along with a timelapse, such as Sayaka running or Madoka kinda dancing, overlaid on top of some simplistic backdrops
. Really stylish stuff. This isn't a heavy action movie and so there aren't many fight sequences in the movie and the ones that are in the movie are merely decent. While there are some really great sakuga moments in them, some of the best in the franchise, the fights as a whole are somewhat lacking to an extent.
I did find the timestop effect during the Mami/Homura fight to be really cool but they didn't go far enough with it as it could have led to some insane sequences
. They're not bad by any stretch of the imagination but it's just a bit too flat.
I did find the team up sequences especially in the beginning really cool as you see the girls amplifying their powers with the help of the other magical girls getting some cool stuff never seen in the TV series like flaming arrows, which were a combination of Sakura and Kyouko's powers
. Even the moments that I thought were pretty Shaftian
like some sparse backgrounds and weird looking extras
were tied into the plot in a significant way. There was a lot of thought put into the framing and backgrounds of certain scenes. The movie just has a really strong artistic direction and it was fun to watch just for the visuals alone.

Yuki Kajiura is really restrained in the movie. It's a somewhat laidback OST which is kinda surprising considering how in your face the TV OST was, especially in regards to the vocals. I liked it a lot actually. The orchestral stuff is mostly an expansion/remix of the stuff in the TV series but the new pieces also work really well. The music fits and in the quieter moments, doesn't hijack the scenes but in the more tense/action sequences, it goes 'louder'.

As for the story I thought it was pretty good for the most part until the final 15 minutes which went into headscratcher territory.
If the TV series was about Madoka deciding on her wish then this movie is somewhat the inverse in that it's Homura trying to decide if Madoka made the right decision and whether to respect the wishes of the other magical girls. The movie is a lot of introspection on the part of Homura and is really driven by her feelings. I see what Urobuchi was going with in the final 15 minutes but the heel turn is too quick and too drastic. It's not just his fault but the direction as well as the smirks on the part of Homura are too much and it's just visually too much. If they had just left it at Homura splitting 'Law of the Cycle' it would be a very powerful ending, driven by Homura's feelings. The problem is the devil crap at the ending which is just so over the top to an extent that it undercuts the character development on the part of Homura. I see what Homura meant in her last line to Madoka, in that Madoka is willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good, while Homura is willing to fight Madoka to prevent that.

One scene people are going to get a kick out of is Sayaka and Kyouko holding hands and essentially confessing their love to each other. They don't outright say they love each other but it's god damn close. I was a little surprised as I didn't see their relationship that way in the TV series but Sayaka saying "I didn't have any regrets when I died/left except leaving you behind" and looking suggestively at Kyouko kinda hints at where that is going.

The movie has a lot of twists and developments, and if you aren't following along then it can be very easy to get lost. They do try to explain what's going on but it's still a lot of information that you have to take in.

Also there really wasn't much dancing in the movie. There's like a few sequences but it's not that big of a deal and one of those sequences is like a opening song thing, which isn't to be taken literally. I had a bigger reaction to this cake eating sequence in the early/middle part of the movie that has to be some sort of Japanese thing as I sure as hell had no clue what that was about, 2deep4me.

Kyubey got his comeuppance. Being made the eternal bitch of Homura was a fitting end for the rat. I couldn't ask for more when Homura basically put him in his place.

There's also a Nightmare on Elm Street reference when Hitomi is sucked in her bed, which got a bit of a laugh out of me.

It's a pretty good film but it's just undercut to an extent by the ending. It's a fitting end to the Madoka saga. SDBurton is going to love this movie.

e_i

Little Busters Refrain episode 10

God damnit, Key. God damn you to hell.
All the cute girls are dead? Including the Kudster?
What the hell is your problem Key with
cute girls? Can't you let them live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom