• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Well in fairly conservative modern anime studios (read: Sunrise) most of your characters are designed to be attractive to garner fan attention and you're limited to a fairly samey number of shapes because of that. In older shows, or to be fair certain shounen works, there's room for slightly more variety in that people can be of any body shape, height, colour, design etc. Still, there are modern shows with great character design as well and even in the past certain designers dominated certain decades.

I suppose this is simply another case of my not having seen enough of the right kinds of shows yet. I'll willingly admit my horizons could stand some more broadening. But I definitely appreciate these shows with their variety of character appearances going on.

Ever? Now you're making it sound like a persecution complex.

I wouldn't go that far, seeing as I do my fair share of shitting, too. If this was about persecution I'd be as much a persecutor as a persecuted, really. Just as I suspect most of us could say. I just think people are frequently unwilling to listen to ideas that contradict the common view of things because they contradict the common view, and not because of evidence. I think it is a facet of the group, but I don't know if I can even fairly call it a "problem" at the moment. It's just the way things are, I think.

Jex

Yamato 2199 02

The ships in the first episode made me expect that the Yamato itself would look a little less like a WWII-era battleship with a rocket stuck on the back, but I suppose tradition makes certain demands.

Part of accepting the myth of the Yamato, if you will, is accepting in your heart that battleships are pretty sweet and the Yamato, in particular, was a pretty damn nifty ship (those Type 94 Naval guns, etc etc).

It's also a lot less silly than Harlock's ship!

What is this weeks end card image, not on CR this season...

oMdgPcDl.jpg

I'm sure this pairing has some name. I'm sure all of them do.

Tamayura: More Aggressive - 04

The destiny of any japanese high school club. Tea and sweets.
Who would think we would be calling Potte,
Potte buchou or Potte Neesama
. Or that we would have two Potte,
Kanae-senpai is so much like her, but instead of nano de she's all souka, souka...demo, demo...hmm, hmm.
Go Photography Club.
Dougo is awesome and Shimokamiyama too. That folk song dance/presentation.
The idea of planting trees to comemorate something important is so nice. Momoneko-sama saves the day.

Kazzy

I feel like there's some awful misrepresentation going on.

------------------------------

Full Metal Panic! [15]

I've been waiting until I reach the end of the series before really posting anything about FMP but I just wanted to say something about this episode in particular.

I can't remember having watched such a patently obvious filler-episode. It isn't really just a consequence of the narrative being non-existent (though there is that), but also the animation being so off-model. The whole thing was just such a jarring, non sequitur, that as someone who is watching it removed from its original context, it does nothing but negatively impact my opinion of the overall product.

As a practice, it's hardly anything new, though that doesn't stop me from being annoyed whenever it does rear its head.

Ugh!

Andrew J.

Part of accepting the myth of the Yamato, if you will, is accepting in your heart that battleships are pretty sweet and the Yamato, in particular, was a pretty damn nifty ship (those Type 94 Naval guns, etc etc).

It's also a lot less silly than Harlock's ship!

Don't get me wrong, my issue is entirely about consistency. If every space battleship in the show looked like that, I would have no problem with it.

CorvoSol

I feel like there's some awful misrepresentation going on.

------------------------------

Full Metal Panic! [15]

I've been waiting until I reach the end of the series before really posting anything about FMP but I just wanted to say something about this episode in particular.

I can't remember having watched such a patently obvious filler-episode. It isn't really just a consequence of the narrative being non-existent (though there is that), but also the animation being so off-model. The whole thing was just such a jarring, non sequitur, that as someone who is watching it removed from its original context, it does nothing but negatively impact my opinion of the overall product. It's just so annoying whenever it crops up.

Ugh!

What was this episode about? I don't remember. Oh, is this the Helmajistan/Afghanistan arc? Like where Sousuke goes with those Americans to find Gauron in the desert? Because if so
the entire arc is sort of filler in that none of it was in the Light Novels, so it is kinda made up. On the other hand, I feel the arc wasn't that bad by its finish, though I can definitely see why the first episode of this arc would be jarring and uninteresting.

/XX/

[Yamato 2199] is an impressive feat on a number of levels. I want to bring to light an area which hasn't been discussed to quite the level it deserves: the absolutely outstanding visual design. The quality of the world created by the artists working on the project is noteworthy and reminds of the passion and love found in the days of early Gainax productions like Wings of Honneamise where the staff went nuts and designed a whole new world. Rather than just focusing on the visual design, however, I just want to discuss one particularly area of the design: UI design.
Jexhius, my man, in that case you are going to love this interview:

2199 CG Production Interview | CosmoDNA
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/118/

Yeah, I know I've linked to that specific site time and time before, but I simply can't recommend it enough for everything related to Space Battleship Yamato. I find outstanding and unique compared to many 'fandoms' the sheer dedication on translating WHILE keeping that well organised and archived any information related to the franchise that's released on Japan.

Kazzy

What was this episode about? I don't remember.

Robots playing table tennis, or something. It probably doesn't help that it follows on from another filler-episode, one that a eerily similar setup (war games), but was actually entertaining and well-executed.

CorvoSol

Robots playing table tennis, or something. It probably doesn't help that it follows on from another filler-episode, one that a eerily similar setup (war games), but was actually entertaining and well-executed.

Oh, okay, I remember this episode. The Char clone was pretty funny but yes, it was basically filler.

Tamayura: More Aggressive - 05

Ehh, so looking a little closer, Potte and Kanae-senpai are not that similar.
Sayomi goal is to fly even higher with everyone. lol
Now I'm sure Shimokamiyama-sensei is a Kyoani teacher character.

Jex

Jexhius, my man, in that case you are going to love this interview:

2199 CG Production Interview | CosmoDNA
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/118/

Yeah, I know I've linked to that specific site time and time before, but I simply can't recommend it enough for everything related to Space Battleship Yamato. I find outstanding and unique compared to many 'fandoms' the sheer dedication on translating WHILE keeping that well organised and archived any information related to the franchise that's released on Japan.

Mhmmm, outstanding stuff /XX/, thanks. As that article mentions, it's really worth pointing out that all these beautiful computer readouts appear for like a few seconds and then are never seen again. When you put effort into stuff that's only going to appear briefly that really shows a certain dedication to the craft.

Theonik

Hyouka 11
iL1WBG81g1q1S.png

Haha right, keep telling yourself that buddy.
And so this arc comes to a conclusion. Heh at Oreki coming to all these realisations. Irisu is pretty best.
Another thing I liked and didn't quite catch at the start is how the chat at the start of the arc was Irisu. Wonder if that comes up again. Especially the "disconnected" part.

Weird to think Space Dandy will only be my second or third BONES tv show.

I had to look it up and I've seen quite a few: FMA, FMA: Brotherhood, Soul Eater, Gosick, Un-Go, Darker than black, Scrapped Princess,

and then there's Sword of the Stranger, which was absolutely brilliant!

I've surprisingly liked alot of the shows they've done. Gosick and FMA are two of my all time favourites.

It stands to reason that if you really like something, you'll be compelled to articulate as to why that is others. That's the kind of stuff I'm generally drawn to.

I have a folder full of drafts for shows and manga I liked but I've never felt confident with them to post it. All started with trying to write up my thoughts on the K-ON college one.

Jex

Hyouka 11

And so this arc comes to a conclusion. Heh at Oreki coming to all these realisations. Irisu is pretty best.
Another thing I liked and didn't quite catch at the start is how the chat at the start of the arc was Irisu. Wonder if that comes up again. Especially the "disconnected" part.

Have you worked out who Irisu's chat partners are? Not that it's really a 'mystery'.

Tamayura: More Aggressive - 06

Enjoy everything!
I wish I could keep this mindset with everything, instead of just when watching animes, nano de...
so this habit is a treasure left from her father too. We got a kouhai of him to visit Potte, are we going to get his Senpai from school too?
It was really nice getting more bakcstory about her father.

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 3-5

This in the span of a few minutes managed to explain the concepts behind tuning and the multi-dimensions far more effectively than the manga has in its entire run thus far.

Okay, so it's not just me being too dumb to understand the way it was explained in the manga. The anime is definitely making things more straightforward, even if I still question how some things work. Wish this was more than 1 cour since it really is elevating the source material.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Infinitely disappearing panties S2 06:

Poor Charl. Must be rough being the victim of Random Bullshit plot device 543.

huh just thought of something... that log horizon battle against the monk... cat man exploded 9 things so that did 9k damage, but that guy has like 14k hp... the explanation made it sound like the calculations made perfect sense or something... but i feel like they are missing something.

Like i'm sure they just assume the extra damage comes from nyanta's sword damage... but isn't that move targeting the chains and not the enemy? I can't imagine a swashbuckler class having many moves with splash/pierce damage... and even then, to do 5k damage in 1 chain attack is a bit iffy with how much damage he's been doing in the fight so far (which you can argue he was holding back).

huh just thought of something... that log horizon battle against the monk... cat man exploded 9 things so that did 9k damage, but that guy has like 14k hp... the explanation made it sound like the calculations made perfect sense or something... but i feel like they are missing something.

Like i'm sure they just assume the extra damage comes from nyanta's sword damage... but isn't that move targeting the chains and not the enemy? I can't imagine a swashbuckler class having many moves with splash/pierce damage... and even then, to do 5k damage in 1 chain attack is a bit iffy with how much damage he's been doing in the fight so far (which you can argue he was holding back).

It's on cooldown, so he actually uses the thorns twice. The cat guy cuts the first lot, and then it was cast again.

At least I think that was it? I would have to rewatch it to be certain.

Tamayura: More Aggressive - 07

Sayomi can't talk about that thing and then don't show it.
Tomo-chan is pretty agressive.
And hidden abilities, I knew Potte would have one since that Phantom Smash in episode 4.
Momoneko-sama living the good life.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay, so it's not just me being too dumb to understand the way it was explained in the manga. The anime is definitely making things more straightforward, even if I still question how some things work. Wish this was more than 1 cour since it really is elevating the source material.

Breaking down a concept into incredibly simple terms for an inquisitive child is always a great way to mask the fact that the same is being done for the audience. I actually appreciated it, haha.

Log Horizon LN 1,2,3,4

No spoilers here , just wanted to say that episode 1 to 4 in the anime actually makes for volume 1 in the LN and so far the progress in term of story is steady.

So what did i wanted to say ? oh yes.
I intended to read only vol 1&2 and i couldn't stop untill vol 4 finished.

So yeah all of you enjoying Log horizon anime, it's gonna be good , very good indeed.

i ... need to sleep now.

The anime is 2 cour , right ?

/XX/

I continue to not regret dropping KnK after episode 1. >.> I think the glasses fetish of Mr. Sweatervest was the thing that annoyed me more than anything, actually.
Hey, that is Hisao's (Katawa Shoujo) nickname... take it back! :p

I'd certainly still appreciate an explanation, though a quick glance at ANN shows he did a lot of stuff for Birdy and the excellent first ending of From the New World.
Er, still would like to know what makes Shingo Yamashita so special. I appreciate that the Muromi-san animators were explained, at least.
Another example of his artistry...

He is definitely special, but simple staff listings won't necessarily demonstrate that at first sight, as we are dealing with, overall, promising talent searching for a place to demonstrate his personal style (see as 'off-model motion virtuosism'). For one, Mr. Yamashita is still a very young animator coming from and being one of the maximum exponents from the recent '.GIF generation' along with people like his friend ryo-timo, not only exponent of that but also on the use of all-digital tools like Adobe Flash for the whole animation process, as someone better known around these parts like BahiJD who swears by his work comments... in fact, BahiJD also worked along him on this project we also posted about on threads like this one.

Tamayura: More Aggressive - 08

Secret Base

kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume
ookina kibou wasurenai
juunengo no hachigatsu
mata deaeru no shinjite
saikou no omoide o~♪

Okaerinasai> Hajimari no Umi.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ace of Diamond Episode 6:

This more serious this shit gets, the more hilarious it becomes, comedy highlight of the season.

Soma

White Album 2 Episodes 5 & 6
For an anime that doesn't really have a strong visual direction compared to many shows airing this season, it does have its moments especially when combined with a solid music direction. This is a show where music is key to the relationships between all three main characters and it uses this to its benefit very often.

As we're pretty much half-way through its airing schedule, the show continues to be quite good with the most recent episode being one of the best so far. Haruki is making strides to being the best protagonist in a romance anime in quite some time. It's rare to see a protagonist in anime these days where you can see exactly why another character would want to fall for them instead of just dumb luck or some fated encounter due to plot. Even rarer is when I find myself unable to choose between either heroine in these types of shows. While it's very easy to side with Touma, Setsuna has a very charming side to her personality too. The school event has been approaching much faster than I anticipated and with the romantic development of each character building up so much, I have a feeling that will all eventually spill over very soon.

Unfortunately from what I hear from people who are familiar with the visual novel,
the melodrama (whatever it may be) only seems to get bigger after the event
so I'm hoping the show can go out of its way to make it as painless as possible because its done such a remarkable job of doing so thus far. This show has had a very strong first half so now I'm hoping the second half can be just as good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Infinitely disappearing panties S2 06:

Poor Charl. Must be rough being the victim of Random Bullshit plot device 543.
"Best" plot device.

Mhmmm, outstanding stuff /XX/, thanks. As that article mentions, it's really worth pointing out that all these beautiful computer readouts appear for like a few seconds and then are never seen again. When you put effort into stuff that's only going to appear briefly that really shows a certain dedication to the craft.
Sadly, I seem to remember some of the computers being hit by the Engrish stick.

Jarmel

Banned
1) What you say makes no sense, as the plot does not come from Ryochimo, but from Yasuda's manga.

2) I disagree that the mayor plotline is stupid. A 9 year old running for mayor is a weird concept, and unfathomable in our world, but it makes sense within the world of Yozakura Quartet, and being internally consistent is what I ask from fictional worlds. It also makes sense that, given the prestigious nature of the position of mayor, that ruthless people will go to great lengths to achieve it.

Just because the plot comes from someone else doesn't mean you have to adapt it as such. That said, you're correct in that I should really put most of my blame on Yasuda.

It's not the 9 year old running for mayor part that is stupid.
It's the fact that you can't publicly threaten to take away a political position like that. It makes absolutely no sense. A person can't hand over a political position to whomever they want and nobody would honor said deal. Not to mention doing this publicly with threats is a surefire way, of the other town's mayor, of losing his own job and getting thrown in jail

Thought he was fired because he couldn't keep a budget or deadline. At least that's what I always heard.

Makes sense. I think I understand why Shin Mazinger Z looks so bad.

Ryūko's escapism abilities keeps leasing this show the opportunity to show off great moments from resolute and fair antagonists, I still appreciate that.

Now I get Mr. Imaishi talking about the 'Four Devas' being thightly intertwined on the plot and appearing for well long into the series, this was a very clear realization of that. At first I thought there wasn't sufficient time on this episode, due to the usual rapid pace, to convey satisfyingly enough Sanageyama's
whole way from desperation up to his pledge for trust and the newfound pride
, now I understand this will probably take more time to show its definitive fruits further down the road.

In comparison with the case of Ryūko's arc at the very beginning of this fast paced series I didn't mind it as much, being the protagonist and all, because I was sure these quick steps in succession would make up for much varied tests of will, and the following episodes would sure be there to flesh out everything else necessary that revolves around her (and the first three were in fact great to reach a preliminary climax, as a taste). So, in the case of a side character like Sanageyama and the spotlight on him for a sole episode like this, I was sceptical on the importance but by the end of it saw that such development feels like something it has to be taken advantage of decisively later on,
because of new aspirations for Sanageyama and a regained spirit enough to question his position as underling... has he seen a different path with that new eye of his, good enough to reject the complacence of his leader? Did he see with it the world outside the little Kiryūin safe bubble? Its suffering? I certainly think he has surpassed the 'Deva' status, and could play a very different kind of role in the game from now on.

I don't necessarily believe they'll go down that route but that would help calm my issues from the last episode being so quick in character backstory.

Theonik

Hyouka 11.5
iM9JUdixXwiZL.png

Cute Chitanda doing cute Chitanda things.
OMG Oreki's sister is back! Why won't show her to us whyyyyyyyyy
A somewhat odd episode, basically silly pool antics, which was fun. The Oreki x Chitanda parts of it were fun as were the Satoshi x Mayaka. Watching Oreki trying to contain his impulses is fun as are some of his thoughts. I'll be a bit upset if all this goes nowhere.
Also #TeamFatyaka

duckroll

It's not the 9 year old running for mayor part that is stupid.
It's the fact that you can't publicly threaten to take away a political position like that. It makes absolutely no sense. A person can't hand over a political position to whomever they want and nobody would honor said deal. Not to mention doing this publicly with threats is a surefire way, of the other town's mayor, of losing his own job and getting thrown in jail

Dude, it's a cartoon with giant monsters and superpowers. When the villain is using a giant dinosaur and a city wide electromagnetic spirit blocking device, I think he can say whatever he wants. Roflmao. C'mon!

Jarmel

Banned
Dude, it's a cartoon with giant monsters and superpowers. When the villain is using a giant dinosaur and a city wide electromagnetic spirit blocking device, I think he can say whatever he wants. Roflmao. C'mon!

I could understand if the villains tried blackmail but a public display of force just seems so ludicrous. That and I just saw another anime (can't remember the name for some reason) where they try to do roughly the same thing.

Feels bad.

Yea I'm looking at their TV list and I pity any soul who has seen most of their works as there are some serious stinkers on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom