• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I just checked Wikipedia to see if BONES has even had that many. It looks like they've only aired 26 TV series. Did you actually finish Heroman? I thought you dropped it.

They have 27 TV series so far. 4 more coming next year. I've seen every one of them, but I haven't finished all of them. The ones which I didn't finish all of, I generally watched several episodes at the start (usually 3-5 at least) and the final 2-3 episodes. I think I finished about 15 shows.

http://bones.co.jp/work

Hyouka 11.5

OMG Oreki's sister is back! Why won't show her to us whyyyyyyyyy

Got to keep that air of mystery around. It's part of what makes her appealing.

A somewhat odd episode, basically silly pool antics, which was fun. The Oreki x Chitanda parts of it were fun as were the Satoshi x Mayaka. Watching Oreki trying to contain his impulses is fun as are some of his thoughts. I'll be a bit upset if all this goes nowhere.

I can assure you that the show delivers on the relationship between Oreki and Chitanda in a satisfying manner.

It's not the 9 year old running for mayor part that is stupid.
It's the fact that you can't publicly threaten to take away a political position like that. It makes absolutely no sense. A person can't hand over a political position to whomever they want and nobody would honor said deal. Not to mention doing this publicly with threats is a surefire way, of the other town's mayor, of losing his own job and getting thrown in jail

Japanese politics.

5N5riW9.jpg
EBLBURU.jpg

One Piece 620

Here comes Doffy!

And nice going, Caeser.

You actually did a good deed by managing to save everyone on the island.

Except for like one person, but some sacrifices had to be made.

I could understand if the villains tried blackmail but a public display of force just seems so ludicrous. That and I just saw another anime (can't remember the name for some reason) where they try to do roughly the same thing.

It's not as if using public displays of force to gain political power is unheard of in history, or even in current events.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not as if using public displays of force to gain political power is unheard of in history, or even in current events.

That would be a military coup, in which you have a de facto dictatorship. At that stage, you're not interested in the actual title of mayor, in that you wouldn't ask the mayor to hand the title over. You also wouldn't target just a couple of towns if you had the military might to have the country honor the illegitimate way you came to control the town.

Tamayura: More Aggressive - 09

Man, what a jerk-
oh, he was just being tsundere
This episode and this festival were so beautiful. ;_____;

cnet128

Banned
Whew. Just finished reading the Otorimonogatari novel. Ended up lying in bed for about four hours straight reading the latter half. If anything, this arc was even better in novel form, because all the narration in Nadeko's voice is glorious. Glorious I say!

Next up, Onimonogatari, which means that after many months, my novel reading has almost caught up with my anime watching. Yaaaaay!

That would be a military coup, in which you have a de facto dictatorship. At that stage, you're not interested in the actual title of mayor, in that you wouldn't ask the mayor to hand the title over. You also wouldn't target just a couple of towns if you had the military might to have the country honor the illegitimate way you came to control the town.

1) There are military coups where the victor takes over the same political title the ousted leader held.

2) The outcome of "elections" can be controlled by force with varying degrees of subtlety.

3) It appears that the position of mayor in Sakura Newtown is hereditary (hence when Hime's grandmother was mayor it could be said to Hine that she herself would be mayor some day), so it makes sense that it's something that could be handed over by fiat, just like the position of king has been historically.

4) Applying real world logic and facts too much to a fantasy world where we don't know all the details of how the political system works doesn't seem very productive.

/XX/

I don't necessarily believe they'll go down that route but that would help calm my issues from the last episode being so quick in character backstory.
Precisely when I saw earlier your impressions on the episode I was thinking on how what you mention there, about cramming too much and not letting sink in or giving space for powerful moments to breath which could kind of hurt the narrative on this cases, was very close to what I thought... until that episode's end and consequently I started to think about what it could mean for a possible expanded plotline down the road!

Speculation like that only goes this far, but that contrast on his later meeting with Satsuki, now facing her after earlier covering her back, not feeling obliged to endulge on her rewards after acting as a total servant on the earlier episodes, parting ways visualised through a dramatic 'Dezaki Postcard'... to me it feels like a fitting development where his 'mind eye' let's him now see beyond what he was doing up to that moment.

Who knows, maybe we soon watch Sanageyama joining the ranks of 'Nudist Beach'... he has already shown it all anyway!
:-D

duckroll

Yozakura "Ryochimo Redeemed" Quartet - Episode 6

Oh boy this arc is sooooooooo good. It's just crazy stuff stuff happening, great animation, lots of awesome effects, and creative escalation of situations. I think it's pretty cool how varied some of the abilities are among the characters, allowing them to apply interesting strategies to teamwork. This episode has REALLY crazy effects animation though. Yozakura is definitely this season's Code:Breaker for me. <3

Strike the Blood is turning out to be a pretty fantastic series! First episode had me feeling a bit meh about it, but episodes 3+4 has totally swung my opinion around!

I even bought every FMA dvd and the first movie on release and still haven't watched them!

FMA is a very enjoyable series, really easy to just sit down and watch in my opinion.

Yoshika's
magic power became too strong for her old striker so I assume the new one leveled out her magic power, or something.

Because
her magic power was too much for her striker unit to handle so needed a new unit that didn't get overcharged.
Still doesn't really explain why wasn't she able to fly on the broom at all. Whatever. It's anime logic

Strike Witches S2 9
Glad the bridge did finally get built. Liking Perrine a lot more than last season

Jarmel

Banned
1) There are military coups where the victor takes over the same political title the ousted leader held.

2) The outcome of "elections" can be controlled by force with varying degrees of subtlety.

3) It appears that the position of mayor in Sakura Newtown is hereditary (hence when Hime's grandmother was mayor it could be said to Hine that she herself would be mayor some day), so it makes sense that it's something that could be handed over by fiat, just like the position of king has been historically.

4) Applying real world logic and facts too much to a fantasy world where we don't know all the details of how the political system works doesn't seem very productive.

1)Those things are usually done on a countrywide scale. That's because if it's done on a local level, then it's just a militaristic takeover of the town and the army moves in.

2)That's the actual election process. Something different than when the person is in actual office.

3)Hime seemingly got herself elected. Hence why the kid came over from the other town for tips. While the position does seem to be passed down within that family, they also have to go through certain hoops and get elected. It's not a birth right that they become mayor.

4)They used a real world title and used certain real world elements in regards to how people get that title. That would mean that it is pretty close to how it would work in the real world.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

duckroll

1)Those things are usually done on a countrywide scale. That's because if it's done on a local level, then it's just a militaristic takeover of the town and the army moves in.

2)That's the actual election process. Something different than when the person is in actual office.

3)Hime seemingly got herself elected. Hence why the kid came over from the other town for tips. While the position does seem to be passed down within that family, they also have to go through certain hoops and get elected. It's not a birth right that they become mayor.

4)They used a real world title and used certain real world elements in regards to how people get that title. That would mean that it is pretty close to how it would work in the real world.

I dunno why the two of you are even arguing over such a mundane thing. The logic is pretty simple - If Kohime pulls out of the election, Morino will win. If Hime resigns as mayor, someone else can come and take over. Beyond that, who gives a shit?! Seriously.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say anymore besides quibbling over semantics, but the point is that political force doesn't entail the eradication of the old political structure.

I was referring to the situation in the neighboring town, where the demand is that the girl drop out of the mayoral race.

I thought she came for more general tips on how to be a good mayor, which is why she wanted to go around with Hime and observe her at work. But like I said, I'm not entirely clear on the details of the political system, and I don't feel a need to be.

Disregarding any cultural differences there may be between the US and Japan in this regard, extrapolating from "these elements of this fictional world are similar to the real world" to "all elements of this fictional world (or this part of this fictional world) are similar to the real world" is a dangerous move to make. All the more dangerous when we're dealing with a world such as Yozakura Quartet's which is obviously so different from ours in numerous ways.

I dunno why the two of you are even arguing over such a mundane thing. The logic is pretty simple - If Kohime pulls out of the election, Morino will win. If Hime resigns as mayor, someone else can come and take over. Beyond that, who gives a shit?! Seriously.

Sometimes I get too invested in logical arguments for my own good.

BluWacky

I've watched all of Darker than Black, Soul Eater, Xam'd, and Daughter of Twenty Faces.

Someday I should finish Ouran Host Club.

You should! Ouran's ending is joyous.

I've seen at least one episode of every one of Bones's TV shows - even Hiwou Senki! I've finished:

Angelic Layer (harmless fun)
RahXephon (a masterpiece - suck it, Corvo :p)
Wolf's Rain (mostly very good, shame about SARS)
Scrapped Princess (I probably wouldn't tolerate Pacifica nowawadays but at the time it was pretty good, terrible plot twist notwithstanding
when Pacifica got amnesia
)
FMA 1 (I loved the Aikawa original plot!)
Ouran (fluff, but very well executed fluff)
Jyu-Oh-Sei (the ending leaves a bad taste in the mouth due to rushed pacing but otherwise pretty enjoyable - amazing art design in particular)
Darker Than Black 1 (excellent)
Skullman (takes a while to get going before it really takes off)
Xam'd (I adored this show, wanky dialogue and unresolved plotlines and all.)

I intend to finish Kurau, 20 Faces and Star Driver some day; the rest were either naff or held little interest for me.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not sure what you're trying to say anymore besides quibbling over semantics, but the point is that political force doesn't entail the eradication of the old political structure.

My point was that you are correct in that using military force doesn't always entail the eradication of the old political system however it's not realistic or feasible to do it on a localized level. It would need to be done on a nationwide scale and even then, the political system wouldn't really be viewed as legitimate.

Duckroll is right though, this is anime logic and I doubt the creator or director put any thought into the actual scenario other than the possible consequences.

Articalys

Phi Brain S3 ep.6

Fanservice~

The puzzle this week was alright and would actually be fun in a non life-or-death situation.
Jouji Nakata is totally going to be the final boss now. Oh well, would have preferred it be Raetsel, but this is okay.

Also:
IWeJN8B.jpg

nvRMnZc.jpg

L2EurSY.jpg

lol

(although come on, dude's basically a girl in everything except his actual gender)
And spoiler time for the end of the episode and preview:
Fuck yes, Melancholy is back and on the villain's team. And next week finally Freecell gets his turn in the spotlight this season. This is going to be awesome.

My point was that you are correct in that using military force doesn't always entail the eradication of the old political system however it's not realistic or feasible to do it on a localized level. It would need to be done on a nationwide scale and even then, the political system wouldn't really be viewed as legitimate.

Duckroll is right though, this is anime logic and I doubt the creator or director put any thought into the actual scenario other than the possible consequences.

As long as a setting is internally consistent as presented I don't see a reason to criticize it. And we'll leave it at that.

CorvoSol

Didn't even go with masterpiece of shit. God damn it man.

Why should I say that if you'll say it for me?

All I have to say about all of this is this:

What was your grief over Rahxephon again?

To make a looooooooooooooooooong argument short for everyone and because I reaaaaaaaaally don't feel like yet another quote war with whoever feels like doing that for the third time this week, my complaint with Rah Xephon was basically that it felt really, really boring and also unoriginal. But I'm also content to mostly just ignore it nowadays, save it be the many times others bring my name up in conjunction with it.

Why should I say that if you'll say it for me?

All I have to say about all of this is this:

To make a looooooooooooooooooong argument short for everyone and because I reaaaaaaaaally don't feel like yet another quote war with whoever feels like doing that for the third time this week, my complaint with Rah Xephon was basically that it felt really, really boring and also unoriginal. But I'm also content to mostly just ignore it nowadays, save it be the many times others bring my name up in conjunction with it.

Because I haven't seen it to really make an argument. You missed an opportunity on your behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom