• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

what kyoanus could learn from denki-gai

drudgesiren.gif
*NSFW*
drudgesiren.gif

drudgesiren.gif
*NSFW*
drudgesiren.gif

Looks like a water balloon in there.

Quasar

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 1

So yeah. Not good signs so far, outside of the music aspect. If somebody has read the manga or knows whats up I wouldn't mind being spoiled.

Well...where I've read up to...

Spoilers up to chapter 17

The series has mostly been about Kaori somehow convincing Kousei to take up piano again as her partner in a competition. Then at the competition there is a bunch of folks who competed against and failed against Kousei as a little kid are competing. They all are hyped up that Kousei is back. Then Kaori/Kosei have their go and he crashes and burns part way through. Haven't seen how that plays out yet.

fertygo

Your Lie in April 01

God damn was this fucking pretty. Had no expectations coming into this but came away impressed by the first episode. Hope this doesn't turn into Friend Zone: The Animation.

I don't read the manga, but brah no way you can't taste the tears already seeing that first eps.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
G-Reco 3

So is everyone from the Capital just incredibly stupid or what?
You just let a prisoner get in the cockpit and fly off with a highly advanced weapon and you didn't even try to stop her! And the main character decides to just go with it because...uhhh. I wonder what the punishment for treason and desertion is in this society?
I think I'm done. Alongside being nonsense the episode was boring for the most part. I'll gladly watch nonsense but if you can't even make it entertaining nonsense, what's the point?

this man has no soul

ANN is featuring an "Anime Spotlight" for Amagi. In my experience, most things featured there get a simulcast license. They did one for G-Reco and that's a limited deal, but. Maybe something's going to happen?

Sevakis mentioned on Twitter/forums (I can't recall exactly where) previously that the Spotlights are made from materials sent from the rightsholders. It's not a guarantee that a show will get licensed/simulcast, but given that the rightsholder cares enough to send materials, it's a good sign that they're interested in business. Likely comes down to money/right restrictions.

Jarmel

Banned
G-Reco 3

Well the editing along with the storyboarding was definitely better. Feels like someone sane actually directed the episode.

Too bad the writing is utter dogshit. Though I suppose the writing being this bad has a charm of its own.

cajunator

Banned
I've just watched Hi☆sCoool! SeHa Girls (wtf is up with this name) because I'm a big SEGA fan and my mind is confused.

It's a horrible anime, with horrible CG but all the weird references just pierces my lonely SEGA die-hard fan heart. I'm probably following this one through the end, even if it sucks so bad.

The paid tribute to NiGHTS. I will support this show on principle!

Thanks!

Edit: Looked it up. Sounds/looks.....interesting.

Hehee it is quite interesting :3

Shirobako - 01

that was quite good..

This anime has charm and i can't help but think that guy is gonna mess the schedule a lot with his mistakes.

Can't wait for S2

felt like i witnessed a classic gonzo production here lol

Well...where I've read up to...

Spoilers up to chapter 17

The series has mostly been about Kaori somehow convincing Kousei to take up piano again as her partner in a competition. Then at the competition there is a bunch of folks who competed against and failed against Kousei as a little kid are competing. They all are hyped up that Kousei is back. Then Kaori/Kosei have their go and he crashes and burns part way through. Haven't seen how that plays out yet.

Sounds like I won't drop it, as long as music continues to be at the forefront. Thanks.

Midonin

In the world of anime updates.

New Lesbian Bear Storm key visual. Clearly these girls have the right to bear arms.

The other is Rolling Girls, another January original anime. We have a plot now.

It's been 10 years since the "Tokyo Great Decisive Battle." A Japan where all the prefectures have become independent countries. A not-so-ordinary story about ordinary girls, according to ordinary girls. Ordinary will save the Earth!?

Also a cast. Ari Ozawa (Nozaki's Chiyo), Rina Hidaka (Captain Earth's Akari, Black Bullet's Enju), Risa Taneda (Kaori in KimiUso, Sayumi in InouBattle) and relative newcomer Yumiri Hanamori.

Here's the promo.

Gundam Reconguista in G 03

6e6fcbdf89.jpg

Another one for Char's cockpit

We got our Gundam toilet and the tiger falling onto the snake scenes.
Are we going to learn about that really, really bad thing that ended the U.C. in this series? Kind of seems like it.
I'm still kind of lost.

HYPER OATS 2 01

e5e546a129.jpg

Raison d'etre?

New OP is great, but it's not CUZ I FEEEEEEEEEL

Pretty boring first episode, seems like everything will be more unsubtle then the first season which is a major accomplishment in itself. Trying way too hard to show how Akane is HARDCORE BADASS now, and spends just as much time infodumping as the first seasons first episode did. WTF? After ED scene was cool though.
Can new Akane stop bitching for five seconds?

Shirobako 01

THIS SHIT IS TOO REAL AND TOO RAW I CAN'T HANDLE IT AAAAAAAAH

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 02

Yeah, I understand now. This shows flow kinda sucks.

Luna Sy

Neo Member
Psycho Pass 2 - 01 was alright. Not exactly the most enticing opening to a show/season, but eh, it did what it was supposed to do, show us what the characters are up to now and what this season's going to be about. Definitely won't change anyone's feelings towards the show, whatever it may be.

Pretty lukewarm overall.

On a very superficial level, right now, the new guys come off to me as stand-ins for the roles that were left open due to last season's events.

Argevollen 14

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif

The bad guys have a super mech now and Argevollen is living up to it's super mech potential, the fight between the two this episode was a taste that got me pretty excited. This is all I wanted was super mechs going at each other. Of note Strum the new enemy super mech has a big fucking sword and our hero only has a small knife so he either needs to get his own big sword soon or beat strum and take his sword.

Yeah the series continues to be massively vanilla, but considering how hard it is to find a vanilla mech anime in a season of "WE WANNA BE LIKE CODE GEASS TOO" series.

Your lie in April 1:
This is a really nice looking show. I absolutely love the visual style, and the backgrounds are very pleasing to look at. That was the first thing that struck me about it, and it lasted through the whole episode. Fittingly for the premise, the music is very good, too. It would kind of be dead in the water if it wasn't. Aside from one little bit near the end of the episode, this felt like a very classy show through and through.

I really liked how easily the show set up the main cast and their relationships with one another, and it did so without having any unnecessary exposition. It does a lot for the writer to just put the characters out there and let us see how the interact with one another. The setup of the core characters seems fairly typical, but there are some different touches. Kousei's relationship with his mother, for example, is handled a bit differently than any some other shows.
He definitely seems to mourn her death, and miss her, but we also see that she was physically abusive towards him at times, and was manipulating him for the sake of her own desires. This is more complex than either 'beloved dead mother' or 'overbearing mom who puts pressure on the main character'.

sonicmj1

Seems like there are too many females in Shirobako.

Top positions in anime tend to be male-dominated (not a lot of female anime directors), but there are a fair amount of women working in anime, and some studios have more women than others. Ghibli had a 50/50 balance of genders when it closed, and Kyoto Animation has plenty of women in its staff.

The anime studio in Shirobako seems to have a lot of women, but not necessarily an unrealistically large amount.

Jarmel

Banned
Top positions in anime tend to be male-dominated (not a lot of female anime directors), but there are a fair amount of women working in anime, and some studios have more women than others. Ghibli had a 50/50 balance of genders when it closed, and Kyoto Animation has plenty of women in its staff.

The anime studio in Shirobako seems to have a lot of women, but not necessarily an unrealistically large amount.

Is Ghibli's animation department closed closed now? Also I know KyoAni has a lot of females, I think Ufotable does too, but I'm pretty sure that's more the exception than the rule.

It's just sort of weird to see this many females in what is a largely male industry.

Shirobako 1

I actually had no idea what this was about, thought it would be more zany / slapsticky. Pleasantly surprised. Like the character designs.

Animation is tough business.

Jarmel

Banned
Just started watching Shigatsu and I have to say that this has been a truly exceptional season when it comes to animation and art direction.

fertygo

The only really blatantly "anime" character in Shirobako is the character designer:

Then again, there are probably some pretty weird people working in anime.
I wouldn't surprised some of chara designer in the industry is cosplay junkies that picked up from pixiv.
Is Ghibli's animation department closed closed now? Also I know KyoAni has a lot of females, I think Ufotable does too, but I'm pretty sure that's more the exception than the rule.

It's just sort of weird to see this many females in what is a largely male industry.
Its already sausage party as it is, IMO the chara design that made them "pretty" is the one that bring the awkwardness.

Sailor Moon 42

Hated this episode

I wanted to slap Luna for telling Usagi to get on a boat and escape instead of fighting the monster when it's basically what they did once they got to the cruise ship

I wanted to slap Usagi for not being able to drive a boat, and then magically gaining the ability when she got a sailor uniform on... when she transforms into a sailor all the time :p

I also wanted to slap Usagi for generally being Usagi, and for being angry that Minkao's childhood crush fell for another women and she was ready to condemn and innocent person over petty love triangles

I finally wanted to slap Minako for being worthless, somehow still having no character after an entire episode focused on her, and for apparently not wearing anything under her skirt, normally I wouldn't talk about lewd things like this but the show goes out of the way to linger on a shot of her skirt blowing in the breeze and every few frames you see a curve that is the same color as her legs.......

-.-

Anime plz

cuc

The only really blatantly "anime" character in Shirobako is the character designer:

Then again, there are probably some pretty weird people working in anime.

Rumor has it like other adults in the show, she's based on a real person too.

Gundam: Reconguista in G 3:
I love the matter of fact way that Cumpa Rusita says
'The G-Self is currently in the process of being stolen"
. That moment just killed me.

We still have a lot to learn, but right now the Amerian side feels a lot more sympathetic to me than the Capital Army. Based on what Aida has said, it seems like they have good reasons for what they're doing, and they're trying to fight against a corrupt group trying to control everything. Although it's hard for me to get a handle on some of the people on the other side. Cumpa Rusita is in a position of power, but he doesn't seem to be too crazy, and Bellri's mom actually seems kind of nice (this is very rare for the parent of a Tomino protagonist).

The main characters we're following are pretty likable so far. Bellri and Noredo's interactions with one another are giving me major Kamille/Fa vibes, and Aida is pretty nice, too. The new character of Klim Nick seems like kind of a moron, though. I'm interested to see where the character development will go now that
Aida has taken Bellri and Noredo with her (and Raraiya, but who knows what her deal is) back to her people. Will they fall in line with that group, or will they wind up returning back to the Captial Army?

I'm also really enjoying the soundtrack for this show. It elevates the proceedings a lot, and is definitely the standout part of the production.

Gundam: Reconguista in G - 2

1. This show's got some fun energy to it with some pretty animation and silly designs all over the place.
2. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON.

Jarmel

Banned
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso-1

I have never seen an OP being played inside a single episode that many times before. Good lord, was it too expensive to just some crappy J-Pop song?

Also my drama detector is flaring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom