• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famed chef, David Chang, pens his Burger Manifesto (Lucky Peach Magazine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

He's a fancy pants chef, but he loves White Castle ;P

He likes In-N-Out and Shake Shack too.

I do agree that simple burgers are the best.

Considering sheer deliciousness, White Castle1 might be the best burger out there. It’s a steamed burger, sopped up with juices and grease: a homogenized bite of amazingness. It’s as pure as can be. I love In-N-Out and Shake Shack, don’t get me wrong. But White Castle is just greater than the sum of its parts.

My ideal burger is bun, cheese, burger. Sometimes bacon. Ketchup on the side, so I can control it. Pickles—yes! Obviously. And the cheese thing has to be very clear: American cheese only. American cheese was invented for the hamburger. People talk about it being processed and artificial and not real cheese—you know what makes it real? When you put it on a hamburger.

Another thing that’s a no-no on a hamburger is mustard. It’s too strong of a condiment. Ketchup is genius because it adds salty-sweetness that is perfect for it. Anything that’s bright and acidic, you want. Mustard is too spicy. Get that shit out of there.3

Furthermore: no pita bread or brioche as a bun. That’s just stupid. The only non-squishy buns I allow for are crumpets and English muffins. In college, I was living in London, and I used to microwave Boca burgers and eat them with hummus on a crumpet. A crumpet is a tremendous vehicle for a burger.

I agree his take on mustard. Mustard on burgers is disgusting.

I don't mind brioche buns, though. Potato rolls are my favorites, Martin's specifically.

And grass fed burgers are great if the fat to meat ratio is good.

Read the rest here:

http://luckypeach.com/my-burger-manifesto/

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
he's obviously not that great of a chef if he doesnt like mustard

/s

maxcriden

He's missing out only using American cheese. I like American plenty on a burger but sometimes you want a good sharp Cheddar or even a bleu.

Busaiku

Another thing that’s a no-no on a hamburger is mustard. It’s too strong of a condiment. Ketchup is genius because it adds salty-sweetness that is perfect for it.
This man is a fraud.

Big-E

All wrong. Real cheddar is better than american cheese slices in a plastic wrap. The fact that he prefers it makes me think he has something wrong with his palate. His comment about mustard is also poor as ketchup is vile sugar garbage.

entremet

All wrong. Real cheddar is better than american cheese slices in a plastic wrap. The fact that he prefers it makes me think he has something wrong with his palate. His comment about mustard is also poor as ketchup is vile sugar garbage.

Nothing is wrong with his palate. His restaurants are some best reviewed in the world. It's just his preferences for burgers.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I loved listening to Anthony Bourdain talk about David Chang. Makes him sound like a lunatic.

I grew up on Ketchup AND Mustard, so I'm fine with either.

Cels

Well...he also says this.

Also: Do as I say, not as I do. When you catch me eating one of these kinds of burgers that I have spoken against, please know that I am the ultimate hypocrite and that I am probably enjoying the shit out of it. Hamburgers are pretty much all good.

So he'll eat all that stuff anyway.

entremet

Is mustard on burgers a southern thing?

I never see mustard on burgers by default on burgers in NYC, even with the shitty chains like McDonald's, Wendy's and BK.

But I do see mustard on default when I take road trips down South.

Big-E

Nothing is wrong with his palate. His restaurants are some best reviewed in the world. It's just his preferences for burgers.

And he has something wrong with him if he prefers american cheese slices to a nice piece of real aged cheddar. Real cheddar melts fine.

hie

Almost perfect. Just needs a little mayo to linger with the ketchup.

Like myself, I'm sure he loves an amazing blue cheese burger on a brioche. This is just the ideal standard American burger.

Opto

Banned
Like, every cheese is better than american on a burger. My go-to's: Monterey jack, cheddar, provolone

entremet

Well...he also says this.

So he'll eat all that stuff anyway.

He loves to eat. He is a chef after all. He's just opining.

And he has something wrong with him if he prefers american cheese slices to a nice piece of real aged cheddar. Real cheddar melts fine.

American cheese is just killer on burgers for me, though.

I also love real cheese, but that's mostly for snacking. Not as a burger topping.

Tabris

It's weird for a chef not to want to balance the sweetness of the ketchup with the acidity of mustard. Most chefs are usually focused on balancing their meals.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

I never see mustard on burgers by default on burgers in NYC, even with the shitty chains like McDonald's, Wendy's and BK.

I'm from CT and BK has always put mustard and ketchup on their burgers.

jmood88

I don't agree with almost anything he says regarding burgers but Lucky Peach is one of the best magazines out right now.

This is basically exactly like his godawful paean to Miller High Life.

David Chang's a decent chef, but with regard to his writing/public relations presence he's just a troll and an attention whore.

entremet

Australians put pickled beets on their burgers? What?

He's probably bullshitting or trolling or both.

He's known for that.

This is basically exactly like his godawful paean to Miller High Life.

David Chang's a decent chef, but with regard to his writing/public relations presence he's just a troll and an attention whore.

This guy knows what's up.

He's aping Bourdain and Hunter S. Thompson with his writing style.

Entertaining guy, though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

Mcd's cheeseburgers and quarter pounders have mustard.

But it does seem more prevalent in the south. Whataburgers with mayo have to be special ordered and the come bearing a sticker of shame.

Also sake shack does mustard and i think they're NY based?

Lazyslob

Banned
i bought frozen white castle at walmart and that shit was bad. tickles are bad too what the fuck kind of chef is this guy

entremet

Mcd's cheeseburgers and quarter pounders have mustard.

But it does seem more prevalent in the south. Whataburgers with mayo have to be special ordered and the come bearing a sticker of shame.

Not in NYC. I dunno why. It's a mystery. Or we have superior burger tastes ;P

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Complains about mustard but is ok with pickles. When I bite into anything with pickles the pickle taste is just as overbearing as mustard.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Mustard is great, but it has to be proper mustard. No dijon, we're talking, at the very least, Colman's English or no sale.

bengraven

No sauce on a burger, except maybe a bit of mayo on the bun.

Agreed and agreed. If your burger is dope you don't need much except bun, cheese, burger, maybe a little onion.

riotous

Banned
Agree that a simple patty and bun is the best.. but I like different cheeses and condiments on burgers.

Restaurants that try to do burgers usually make the patty way too thick and juicy. Thin and dry on the outside, with some juicyness in the middle is the way to go.

mnannola

I could not disagree with this man any more. Give me a shitload of Cheddar Cheese, Deli/Spicy Mustard and Jalapeños on my burgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom