• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famed chef, David Chang, pens his Burger Manifesto (Lucky Peach Magazine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

Yup. Best burger is at Peter Luger which is plain beef with optional cheese and bacon. Beef is too valuable to be a mere vessel for shitty condiments.

Aselith

I loved listening to Anthony Bourdain talk about David Chang. Makes him sound like a lunatic.

I grew up on Ketchup AND Mustard, so I'm fine with either.

He doesn't like mustard on burgers so there's no question he's a lunatic.

leakey

Dude has the rights to his opinion, but mustard is way better than pickles.
sick.gif

jtb

Banned
anyone tried his new fried chicken place, fuku? I heard lines are long, haven't gotten around to trying it

pharmx

Yup. Best burger is at Peter Luger which is plain beef with optional cheese and bacon. Beef is too valuable to be a mere vessel for shitty condiments.

You know, I've never eaten a burger plain like that at a restaurant, but every now and then when I make it at home, I don't mind scarfing down just the buns and patty.

No mustard + American Cheese? pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhh

It's OK to say you like American cheese, but to recommend it or live by it automatically disqualifies you as a fancy pants chef IMO. On the other hand, I'm sure most of the greatest burger makers would all agree against mustard, however I like it on my burgers. Don't do mayo

Pickles, ketchup and mustard are godlike. I had this aged Swiss on a burger once and it was amazing. I also like to put potato chips on them. Or bbq sauce.

I agree with his stance on Mustard. I've never had Mustard on anything that it completely didn't overpower. EVEN HOT DOGS. I WANT TO TASTE THAT VIENNA BEEF, GAF, NOT MUSTARD.

COME AT ME.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with this man 100%. Get that gourmet burger bullshit out of here. I've tried to find the perfect burger for years. I've tried every burger at every restaurant I go to and they're all mostly terrible. Yet, I'll eat a White Castle, McDonalds, Wendy's burger with out any problems and they're still delicious to me. I've come to the conclusion that the "fancier" they get, the less I like them.

White castle is straight-up garbage food. Steamed burgers are an abomination.

Fancy chef or not, it's kind of hard to take this guy seriously.

RetroMG

I approve of his opinions.

I am all in favor of fine ingredients, but sometimes, I really want a classic burger with prefab patties and American cheese, like my Mom made growing up. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

All I needed to know that this dude has his head screwed on straight is that mustard sucks (does not include honey mustard) and that ketchup is amazing to dip burgers into. American cheese is only justifiable as a last resort, but the mustard shit talk is what's most important here.

Fou-Lu

I like my burgers saucy so... I disagree. I'll put ketchup, (honey) mustard, mayo, sometimes BBQ sauce or salad dressing. I do agree on the point about american cheese though.

entremet

It's there on the official site, but I swear they don't add it.

Here's some sources:

http://nypost.com/2012/12/02/more-burning-questions-about-nyc-answered/

Why don’t McDonald’s hamburgers come with mustard in NYC? — Steve, Manhattan
Unlike most of the rest of the country, mustard is indeed not standard on an NYC McDonald’s burger.
A company rep chalked up the absence to “customer preference,” but would not say how or why the company arrived at that conclusion. They simply believe New Yorkers just don’t like mustard on meat. You can ask for it, though, or drive to Jersey.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...onal-mustard-use-on-mcdonalds-hamburgers.html

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Anyone who puts condiments on a burger is a loser! YEAH I SAID IT! What the hell type of cheap meatloaf patty are you putting between your buns that you need condiments to hid the ass-taste? We eats steak with ketchup or mustard? So why would you grind up angus and then squirt that puke over it and ruin the taste?

You're all frauds!

Best burger ingredients:

-Bun (something a little bit sweet, not so much that it has a flavor noticeable on its own when you bite in, but something to provide contrast)
-Burger (must be cooked right)
-Cheese (pepperjack; just throw a lid on top of whatever you're cooking the bugers on for ~30 seconds, it melts just fine)
-Sweet and spicy BBQ sauce (thin spread)
-Veggies to taste (I prefer just lettuce, tomato, onion m'self)
-Bacon
-Onion rings if you wanna get fancy, but you have to have a big mouth to make 'em work.

Burger cooking: you want THICK patties. 1/3 of a pound, minimum. Throw a little salt and pepper on each side. Make sure to make crease lines on the top and bottom with a spatula. Cook at HIGH heat, you want to sear the outside crisp. The burger should, in and of itself, be a little bit crunchy. Then reduce heat, cook for a minute or two, then add cheese. Cover for 30 seconds to melt; you absolutely do NOT want to steam the burger! That's how you ruin them. As soon as the cheese is melted, get that shit outta there and onto a bun.

EDIT: Oh, right. Some people will tell you to work whatever spices into the patty. DO NOT DO THIS. The more you work the meat, the more mealy the texture gets.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Interesting. Don't new yorkers like mustard on hot dogs or no?

Yes, but there is no mustard on burgers in NYC/Long Island. I kind of like mustard on a burger but I pretty much never put it on myself, and I had literally never even heard of it as a hamburger condiment until I was in college.

levious

Where is the restaurant that claims to have been the first to sell burgers? New York?

I really think lettuce (he's 100% right about iceberg), thin slice of tomato for juiciness without making a mess, and a nice mild pepperjack are all I need on a burger. Ketchup is too sweet, mustard too overpowering. He's also right about pita or brioche as well as grass fed beef being problematic, though I prefer it for health reasons over traditional fat content quality ground meat.

So he gets more right IMO than wrong. Pickles and honestly the tomato are a personal taste , shouldn't globally assumed either way.

I do think American cheese is subpar even on burgers. If you want something that will melt there are all kinds of very convenient options that are objectively better than American cheese.

levious

Not NY actually. Many places try to claim it. It's not really conclusive.

I think some place has a legitimate claim as being not the creator but first to sell it and have it on a menu. Can't recall more than that. Saw it on food network.

That might be what i was thinking of bertram, thanks.

Ah yes. They're notoriously anti ketchup if I remember. Like militantly so.

Yes, they are. It's not allowed.

IMO, Burgers are sandwiches which means there's pretty much no wrong way. You can do it however you like. Preferences are vast.

American cheese is perfectly fine for a greasy burger, but on the ones I make I never use it, really.

Funny thing, I'm a huge pickle fan and yet I hate it on my burgers. I don't even know why, I just do. Not enough to remove it if it's already there, but I will request its absence.

On occasion, I'll make my own In N Out sauce. Otherwise, mustard and Ketchup go on with mayo, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese (numerous kinds), and caramlized onions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom